PDA

View Full Version : I hate my Sig P226 .40 cal

GunHo
05-04-2012, 9:22 AM
Is it me or is the P226 .40 cal a difficult gun to shoot? I’m about 7 months into guns; reading, buying, shooting, Calguns, and so on. With my 4 pistols, I can honestly say I’m a better shot today than 7 months ago, “except with my P226”. In last weekend’s range session, I was cheesing ear to ear with my group results, up until I started shooting the P226. I tried gripping hard, then gripping light, then adjusting my sight, and still, it was all over the place. Throughout the week, I kept thinking, “what the hell”. Last night, I finally broke down and ran to the local Target Master indoor range to redeem myself. Sadly enough, I ended up with even worse results. I really hate this gun.

After getting home from the range, I ordered a stainless steel guide rod to add some weight in the front and some Hogue rubber grips to replace the hard plastic OEM feel. I swear, if still no improvements with these changes, you’ll be seeing the gun in the marketplace.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000406.jpg

Eddie916
05-04-2012, 9:24 AM
You could always just sell it... some guns don't work for people... I can't shoot 1911's.. so....

GunHo
05-04-2012, 9:28 AM
You could always just sell it... some guns don't work for people... I can't shoot 1911's.. so....

Really? The 1911 is my favorite... Let me guess, you have a P226 and that's you're favorite?

huckberry668
05-04-2012, 9:34 AM
How bad were your groups and at what distance? Maybe the gun is defective. That's known to happen. I'd say bench the gun on a sandbag and have someone else shoot it just so it's objective.

P226 is one of best handling guns out there. It's hard not to at least shoot to your ability.

liketoshoot
05-04-2012, 9:38 AM
Nope it's a combination of you and the gun, sometimes it just happens that your hand does not fit right on the grip and you can not get a good group. it happens, just try different grips and if that does not work sell it. It's a good gun so you won't lose any money but it's not for you.

pc_load_letter
05-04-2012, 9:38 AM
I'm a much better shooter with my CZ, Ruger and 1911.

I think the long take up makes me anticipate the shot and I bounce around all over the place.

stoicstealthyandsteady
05-04-2012, 9:44 AM
I recall the SIG Sauer was the weapon of choice by the Israeli commandoes on the raid on Entebbe. The Guns & Ammo article I read many years ago said the tolerances were very tight and that the gun was meant to be an accurate and very reliable semi-auto. Back then they were made in Switzerland. Now they are made here and I have read a few complaints about SIG in general. I bought a Beretta 92FS.

DEPUTYBILL
05-04-2012, 9:45 AM
If it is just the"feel" of the grips,you could try the E2 grips,Sig has,or the hogue rubber,G-10,or aluminum grips. I might look at different types and brands of ammo as well. Half the battle in finding a pistol that you like,is to find one you feel comfortable with. Try some options for the 226,and if they do not work,move on.

ir0nclash86
05-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Dont worry OP I did the exact same thing as you with my Sig P226 in 40. I couldnt group for crap with that gun. My shots would go 1-2 inches left or right from bullseye at 7 yards even though i felt like i was doing everything absolutely correct. I tried hogue grips too and a new guide rod but i still sucked with it. I wasnt a fan of the location of the slide lock too though. It was too far back so my thumb would cover it. I ended up selling the hogue and guide rod here on calguns and sold the gun to my buddy who loves it. Bought a Glock with the cash and 22 conversion and started punching bullseyes.

Some guns just dont fit people so I wouldnt sweat it even though it is frustrating. Theres plenty of other guns in the sea.

PandaLuv
05-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Could be the caliber, or could be the slide or the grip.

I personally love p226, I had one in .40 and I have the 9mm version now. That gun is meant too shoot in 9mm.

OP, do you have any other .40 guns? How good are you with them? Try 9mm just for kicks, the gun works way better with a smaller bullet.

Also, I love 1911s, Im most accurate with that gun.

RickRyder
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
.40's are hard to master, especially if you think it's gonna shoot the same as a 9mm...The P226 is a very nice pistol, but as others have stated, maybe it's just not a good fit for you...before getting rid of it, go rent a few different .40's that fit your hand differently and see what kind of results you get...

RickRyder
05-04-2012, 10:10 AM
.40's are hard to master, especially if you think it's gonna shoot the same as a 9mm...The P226 is a very nice pistol, but as others have stated, maybe it's just not a good fit for you...before getting rid of it, go rent a few different .40's that fit your hand differently and see what kind of results you get...

tbc
05-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Looking at your four sidearms, I am guessing the only .40 SW caliber gun is your P226. This is my 2 cents:

1) the .40 caliber is snappy therefore you anticipated and flinched.
2) Sig comes with combat sights. It means you have to cover the sight when you aim. The further the target, the harder it is for you to acquire sight picture.

Sent from IPhone

GunHo
05-04-2012, 11:04 AM
How bad were your groups and at what distance? Maybe the gun is defective. That's known to happen. I'd say bench the gun on a sandbag and have someone else shoot it just so it's objective.

Great advice... I will be sure to bench that SOB and strap it down on my next outing.

Dont worry OP I did the exact same thing as you with my Sig P226 in 40. I couldnt group for crap with that gun. My shots would go 1-2 inches left or right from bullseye at 7 yards even though i felt like i was doing everything absolutely correct. I tried hogue grips too and a new guide rod but i still sucked with it.

Wow, when you exact, you really meant exact. I just ordered the Hogue rubber grips and heavier guide rode. But I hope I can get better with it because I really don't want to sell it.

I personally love p226, I had one in .40 and I have the 9mm version now. That gun is meant too shoot in 9mm. OP, do you have any other .40 guns? How good are you with them? Try 9mm just for kicks, the gun works way better with a smaller bullet.

My first thought was to get it in 9mm. With the $200 I'll likely lose selling it, I can buy a new 9mm barrell and recoil spring.

Looking at your four sidearms, I am guessing the only .40 SW caliber gun is your P226. This is my 2 cents:
1) the .40 caliber is snappy therefore you anticipated and flinched.

Yup, you called it... P226 is my only .40. and yes, I've heard the same thing about the snappy .40 cal. I hope you're right about the anticipation and flinch.

Thank all for the feelback. I just had to vent my frunstration. I'll try to bench rest it next time.

Peter W Bush
05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Load the magazine with live rounds and put one or two snap caps between the live rounds and see if you're flinching. I think you will be very surprised.

GunHo
05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Great idea. never thought of that. thanks.

PandaLuv
05-04-2012, 12:19 PM
.40 just sucks.

I can't believe how much I'd flinch shooting it. Snap caps drills will do the trick :)

PandaLuv
05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
****, I just opened a can of worms :eek:

In before skyscraper.

lilro
05-04-2012, 12:59 PM
.40 just sucks.

I can't believe how much I'd flinch shooting it. Snap caps drills will do the trick :)

If you can, let someone else load the mag so you don't know when the snap cap is coming.

Packy14
05-04-2012, 1:01 PM
Hmm.. you have a full stainless p226 and you think adding a guide rod will help? The gun is most likely fine, you are the problem. use a snap cap and see what you are doing, put it in the middle of a mag so it suprises you.

Peter W Bush
05-04-2012, 1:48 PM
If you can, let someone else load the mag so you don't know when the snap cap is coming.

Or close your eyes while loading the mag. Just make sure you don't load it HK style :D

creampuff
05-04-2012, 1:59 PM
Hmm.. you have a full stainless p226 and you think adding a guide rod will help? The gun is most likely fine, you are the problem. use a snap cap and see what you are doing, put it in the middle of a mag so it suprises you.

I have to agree in that the stainless 226 is pretty hefty. I am not entirely sure if a stainless guide is going to make a tremendous difference. I tend to shoot my "blue" 226 better, mainly because for whatever reason the stainless 226 just doesn't feel as well balanced because of its weight.

Icypu
05-04-2012, 2:01 PM
Try using the Sig P226R E2 grips. I have one on mine and they make the gun much smaller.

sammy
05-04-2012, 2:24 PM
Want to meet up at USI in Concord? I am 99.999% sure it is you. That gun should shoot a 1" group at 15 yards with any ammo. PM me if interested.

GunHo
05-04-2012, 2:29 PM
Try using the Sig P226R E2 grips. I have one on mine and they make the gun much smaller.

I heard about the E2 grips, but I don't know who makes it. I guess I can google it like everything else. I just ordered the Hogue rubber ones because I can't seem to grip the plastic OEM ones that well. Not that it's too big, there's just no grip. Thanks.

I have to agree in that the stainless 226 is pretty hefty. I am not entirely sure if a stainless guide is going to make a tremendous difference. I tend to shoot my "blue" 226 better, mainly because for whatever reason the stainless 226 just doesn't feel as well balanced because of its weight.

You're absolutely correct. The gun already weighs 42.2 oz. As if a heavier rod is going to do anything. It's more of a mental thing to me. It's a good looking gun and I just want to shoot it better. Thanks.

Freq18Hz
05-04-2012, 2:37 PM

I personally love p226, I had one in .40 and I have the 9mm version now. That gun is meant too shoot in 9mm.

OP, do you have any other .40 guns? How good are you with them? Try 9mm just for kicks, the gun works way better with a smaller bullet.

^ this except I'd add it's actually meant to be shot in .45, even if that isn't the original configuration.

I had the same issue with my P226. Some shoot better than others, some seem to be all over the paper.

.40 can be a hard cartridge to control. I personal have more trouble shooting it than anything out there. For instance, I find full house .357 magnum considerably easier to shoot than .40.

Sig build quality has declined, but they are still decent guns. I don't think they are necessarily the easiest guns to shoot, they require a considerable amount of trigger control.

My guess is, you probably have some bad shooting habits which are a lot more pronounced when shooting your Sig. Add into that the fact that yours might not shoot as well as some other Sigs, and the problem is exacerbated.

People sell Sigs for quality issues etc. all the time, so if you dump it you will most likely take a bath on it. I think you should keep it, and keep shooting it. They never fail to go bang ever, and that's pretty damn important. Also if you learn to shoot it well eventually, you will feel better.

FWIW I have a friend that has an old first run P220 that he has owned since they were released, and has always liked it, but could never shoot it well. After 30 years or so of shooting, he finally recently reached a proficiency level that allows him to shoot the Sig well. He had it in the safe for years and years, shooting it very seldom. Now he considers it a laser.

Your mileage may vary. Keep shooting it.

-Freq

Moto
05-04-2012, 2:38 PM
.40 just sucks.

It doesn't suck.

It's just not meant for sissys. Oh yes you did!

GunHo
05-04-2012, 2:40 PM
Want to meet up at USI in Concord? I am 99.999% sure it is you. That gun should shoot a 1" group at 15 yards with any ammo. PM me if interested.

You got it... I love and hate this gun and hope you're right that it's just me.

gorenut
05-04-2012, 2:49 PM
The gun might just not be for you. I loved my P226s, all three of them.. but I got rid of them including a SP2022 (which I actually shot better than the P226s) because ultimately I just shot other guns better. I had P226s in all calibers available, including 357SIG, all of them were all stainless models. Even though I shot well enough with the Sigs, I shoot revolvers and Glocks better. Just because SuperSoldier X or Forum Members tout how awesome a gun is doesn't mean it universally applies to you. CZs don't quite fit me and they're often touted to be some of the most ergonomic (they feel cramped in my hands).

This should give you prime opportunity to explore your options of other guns out there. Don't get too infatuated with how pretty they are :)

PastorPhil
05-04-2012, 3:10 PM
Just got back from the range and found the opposite. I've got 450 rounds in my Glock 22 .40 and have decent groups but have been curious about the P226 and decided to try a rental today. This was a bad idea...I shot better at 10, 15, 25ft than I've ever been able to with my G22. Even going from DA/SA, gun just seems to shoot better for me. Now I've got to explain to my wife why I need another handgun. :rolleyes:

G60
05-04-2012, 3:14 PM
Instead of buying accessories that won't do anything to improve your shooting or the function of your gun, or buying more guns, perhaps invest some money into a class from a quality instructor?

GunHo
05-04-2012, 3:18 PM
This should give you prime opportunity to explore your options of other guns out there. Don't get too infatuated with how pretty they are :)

You got me there... I like my guns pretty. It's probably a rookie thing because that I am. I'll give it another go and we'll see if I decide to let it go and explore other "pretty" guns that fit and feel better.

I'm eyeing out a plain black, without the bells and whistles, 1911. I think I'm getting beyond pretty.

Mr. Gillious
05-04-2012, 3:20 PM
i think you should get a cz... just saying.

GunHo
05-04-2012, 3:26 PM
Just got back from the range and found the opposite. I've got 450 rounds in my Glock 22 .40 and have decent groups but have been curious about the P226 and decided to try a rental today. This was a bad idea...I shot better at 10, 15, 25ft than I've ever been able to with my G22. Even going from DA/SA, gun just seems to shoot better for me. Now I've got to explain to my wife why I need another handgun. :rolleyes:

Was the P226 rental in a .40 too? I know the Sig sights are made to cover the target and that I have been doing. At 15 yards, my hits (2of10) are right near the bulleye, but the misses and clearly MIA...

DRUNKENMASTER
05-04-2012, 3:40 PM
I hated shooting my P226 40 also as all my hits would be low. Then I found out about Sig having combat sights. The front sight should be covering the target. Practice, practice and now I enjoy shooting it.

oh and I have the exact same gun as you do but I installed the Hogue G10 pirhana grips on it. much better with them on.

GunHo
05-04-2012, 4:37 PM
Yup, i just ordered the Hogue rubber grips. Im hoping the same results as you with extra practice. Ill give it a few more runs to get better. If I still suck with it, i may sell it or convert it into a 9mm.

.45heat
05-04-2012, 7:30 PM
I had a Sig P229, and had the same problem. For me it was that the trigger breaks at the rear. I really had to focus not to flinch. It was accurate when I took my time. I didn't really jive with it, so I sold it to a friend.

Jeeper
05-04-2012, 7:42 PM
It's the caliber. I had a Glock 22 (40 cal) and I couldn't hit the paper with it. So brutally snappy that it just wasn't any fun at all. Far too much work.

I shoot decent with 9 and 45, so I couldn't see wasting time with the 40.

Just keep it in the safe a forget about it for a few months. Don't put another dime into it. If Obama gets back in office, the guns value will go up, up, and up.

guitargeak99
05-04-2012, 7:46 PM
The gun might just not be for you. I loved my P226s, all three of them.. but I got rid of them including a SP2022 (which I actually shot better than the P226s) because ultimately I just shot other guns better. I had P226s in all calibers available, including 357SIG, all of them were all stainless models. Even though I shot well enough with the Sigs, I shoot revolvers and Glocks better. Just because SuperSoldier X or Forum Members tout how awesome a gun is doesn't mean it universally applies to you. CZs don't quite fit me and they're often touted to be some of the most ergonomic (they feel cramped in my hands).

Best advice yet.
I love Sigs and can shoot them fairly well.
But personally I do not want a gun that I cannot pickup and shoot accurately.
I have guns that I can just pickup a shoot well - that is fun.
I have "had" guns that I just could not shoot that great - that is not fun, and that is why I sold them.

Liberty Customs
05-04-2012, 7:47 PM
Instead of buying accessories that won't do anything to improve your shooting or the function of your gun, or buying more guns, perhaps invest some money into a class from a quality instructor?

you beat me to it. that being said, there will be guns you shoot well and some you do not

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
05-04-2012, 8:01 PM
Yup, i just ordered the Hogue rubber grips. Im hoping the same results as you with extra practice. Ill give it a few more runs to get better. If I still suck with it, i may sellthe it or convert it into a 9mm.

If you're interested and willing to meet me half way, I've got a P226 in 9mm that I shoot well enough with but would be willing to trade for a P226 in 40 (I have a thing for 40's). That would be a lot cheaper than converting.

Doctor Suarez
05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
I don't own a SIG but my friend does and I actually shoot it better than he does. And that's not a knock on him because he also has a 1911 and he's quite good with it. I think they're simply not for everyone. I'm also personally not a fan of DA/SA guns, just because I like consistency.

No reason to force your relationship with the gun. They're not women. You two can split up and you'll actually get some money back.

guitargeak99
05-05-2012, 11:23 AM
No reason to force your relationship with the gun. They're not women. You two can split up and you'll actually get some money back.

You are my hero:rofl2:

Doctor Suarez
05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
You are my hero:rofl2:

Thanks. And I say this as both a lover of guns AND women.

sapro
05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Go to Front Sight or any quality course for 2 days.

You'll come back noticing a day and night difference.

Unless you have really small hands or really big hands the weapon shouldn't matter.

I shoot P226R, 1911s, glocks. My 226 is almost as consistent as my 1911 groupings.

Training and then dry practice will make a world of a difference. With that I can pick up pretty much any pistol and use that foundation to manipulate the weapon that will yield similar results.

GunHo
05-05-2012, 3:36 PM
Thanks for the post all. I got some excellent advice and some good laughs as well. I got several recommendations to try the E2 grips. I looked into it and was pleased with the new look and ergonomics. So I ordered them. This was my first purchase that was influenced entirely by Calgunners. Thanks all. I'm also considering some professional training, anything I can do to master this gun.

GunHo
05-05-2012, 3:38 PM

This one hit the spot. Thanks for the laugh.

primeform
05-05-2012, 5:48 PM
Buy a glock 21 and dont look back.

GunHo
05-08-2012, 9:48 PM
OK, I just installed the E2 grips and they feel great. Thanks for the advice all. I also installed the stainless guide rod. But now the blued barrel don't match, so I polished it. My P226 .40 that I love and hate has a new life. I'll give it a go this weekend and see how I do with the new grips.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000494.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000502.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000506.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/P1000512.jpg

onegtalon
05-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Ive had some really bad 'off' days... One week I'm grouping great, the next week I can't hit the barn.... Do the snap cap trick eyes closed. For some reason if I'm not concentrating or if I got stuff on my mind I'm all over the place (flinching real hard, even with a 22!!!!)

At that point I put down the 9&45 and just shoot the .22 (or just go to town with the 12Ga for awhile)

Sent from my iPhone...

trob
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
I don't shoot Sigs well either. I've owned 3 and never really felt great about any of them

I shoot 1911's and glocks really well (by my standards :) ), with my 686 being right up there too.

GunHo
05-09-2012, 8:22 AM
Ive had some really bad 'off' days... One week I'm grouping great, the next week I can't hit the barn.... Do the snap cap trick eyes closed. For some reason if I'm not concentrating or if I got stuff on my mind I'm all over the place (flinching real hard, even with a 22!!!!)

At that point I put down the 9&45 and just shoot the .22 (or just go to town with the 12Ga for awhile)

Haven't tried the eyes closed trick yet, nor have I heard of it. The way I'm shooting this P226, I'm better off keeping my eyes closed. Lol. Thanks, I'll be blasting away this weekend at Chabot gun club...

I don't shoot Sigs well either. I've owned 3 and never really felt great about any of them

I shoot 1911's and glocks really well (by my standards :) ), with my 686 being right up there too.

Same here, I bad @$$ with my 1911 9mm. I think part of the problem is that I got too used to the 1911's smooth recoil, which is a complete contras to the snappy P226 .40. But this weekend, I'm putting my undivided attention on the P226, until I run out of .40.

TZL
05-09-2012, 8:24 AM
Sell me your 226r in 40, im looking for a good deal on one

Deadon
05-09-2012, 8:45 AM
My buddy has owned a 226 .40 for a while now and had yet to shoot it. We went to the range and he couldnt hit the side of a barn with it. Back then I hadnt owned or shot a sig. He was getting pissed and said there was something wrong with the gun. He said here try it. I picked it up and fired all shots in about a 2 inch group. I turned and looked at him and told him he needs to get to the range more. He was pretty pissed. He shot the rest of the two boxes and still couldnt dial it in. I think sometimes people just have a problem with some guns.

GunHo
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
My buddy has owned a 226 .40 for a while now and had yet to shoot it. We went to the range and he couldnt hit the side of a barn with it. Back then I hadnt owned or shot a sig. He was getting pissed and said there was something wrong with the gun. He said here try it. I picked it up and fired all shots in about a 2 inch group. I turned and looked at him and told him he needs to get to the range more. He was pretty pissed. He shot the rest of the two boxes and still couldnt dial it in. I think sometimes people just have a problem with some guns.

Sell me your 226r in 40, im looking for a good deal on one

Here's the funny thing. This P226 was my 1st pistol 7 months ago and I actually shoot it well then. I since then bought 3 other pistols that I enjoy shooting more. I only started shooting the P226 again about 1 month againg and complete lost my groove with it. It's only been 2 dissappointing range visits and hoping too redeem myself this weekend. Hopefully the E2 grips will help. They do feel much better than the OEM feel. However, I will seriously consider parting with it if I fail to see any improvements this weekend.

DrMoebius
05-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Personally, I don't think it's a matter of the P226, different grips, or even guide rod weight. It's all in the shooter and the inherent qualities of the .40 cal round.

I just picked up a Walther PPQ in .40 a few weeks ago and it is almost like I am learning to shoot all over again. I can shoot 9mm, .45, .357 Mag, etc. in a myriad of brands fairly well for a casual hobbiest, but my first outing with the .40 was a humbling experience.

We had 5 pistols with us - 9mm Baretta 92G ELite II, Colt Commader .45, HK USP .45, a tricked out 8" .357 Mag revolver, and my PPQ. I'd never shot the other four ever before, just like the PPQ. But, with the .40, my groups were literally >12"(if that can be called a "group"), while with the other guns I was in the 4"-6" range fairly quickly.

My (inexperienced) opinion is that the .40 cal muzzle flip is unlike any other round I've come across. I don't sense any recoil (force going straight back), just a quick, snappy, flip at the barrel making followup shots more challenging. I think this quality reveals even minor flaws in the shooter's grip, sight acquisition, trigger pull, stance, etc. because the two other far more experienced shooters I was with were able to dial in their shots by their second mag with the PPQ while I continued to flail about.

After that outing, I went back to working on the fundamentals through dry-fire drills at home. A week later, I shot far, far, better than the first time. I won't say impressive, but respectable at a steady, slow, firing rate of every 2-3 seconds with 4 round mags. By the end of the session(~100 rounds later), shooting five 10 round mags at each bullseye, I was able to get a few 2"-3" groups at 20-25 ft.(w/ the upper left bullseye, I got cocky after hitting dead center & thought I could rapid fire). With the bottom two bullseye, I actually flipped the sheet upside down so they were at the top to avoid potentially skipping rounds off the floor. With that said, notice I have a tendency to shoot left on each target. I expect next outing to be more accurate and consistent.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachments/ppq/2599d1336285787-first-range-day-w-new-40-ppq-3.jpg

I've shot the P226 in 9mm before and think it's a great gun. Just picking it up, it fits perfectly in my hand naturally shot well. If you really want to dance with the .40 cal, try it in a light polymer handgun :eek:

Deadon
05-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Personally, I don't think it's a matter of the P226, different grips, or even guide rod weight. It's all in the shooter and the inherent qualities of the .40 cal round.

I just picked up a Walther PPQ in .40 a few weeks ago and it is almost like I am learning to shoot all over again. I can shoot 9mm, .45, .357 Mag, etc. in a myriad of brands fairly well for a casual hobbiest, but my first outing with the .40 was a humbling experience.

We had 5 pistols with us - 9mm Baretta 92G ELite II, Colt Commader .45, HK USP .45, a tricked out 8" .357 Mag revolver, and my PPQ. I'd never shot the other four ever before, just like the PPQ. But, with the .40, my groups were literally >12"(if that can be called a "group"), while with the other guns I was in the 4"-6" range fairly quickly.

My (inexperienced) opinion is that the .40 cal muzzle flip is unlike any other round I've come across. I don't sense any recoil (force going straight back), just a quick, snappy, flip at the barrel making followup shots more challenging. I think this quality reveals even minor flaws in the shooter's grip, sight acquisition, trigger pull, stance, etc. because the two other far more experienced shooters I was with were able to dial in their shots by their second mag with the PPQ while I continued to flail about.

After that outing, I went back to working on the fundamentals through dry-fire drills at home. A week later, I shot far, far, better than the first time. I won't say impressive, but respectable at a steady, slow, firing rate of every 2-3 seconds with 4 round mags. By the end of the session(~100 rounds later), shooting five 10 round mags at each bullseye, I was able to get a few 2"-3" groups at 20-25 ft.(w/ the upper left bullseye, I got cocky after hitting dead center & thought I could rapid fire). With the bottom two bullseye, I actually flipped the sheet upside down so they were at the top to avoid potentially skipping rounds off the floor. With that said, notice I have a tendency to shoot left on each target. I expect next outing to be more accurate and consistent.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachments/ppq/2599d1336285787-first-range-day-w-new-40-ppq-3.jpg

I've shot the P226 in 9mm before and think it's a great gun. Just picking it up, it fits perfectly in my hand naturally shot well. If you really want to dance with the .40 cal, try it in a light polymer handgun :eek:
I just cant see it that way. I cant tell much difference in calibers. I just qualified with my XD .40 compact and I never shot one round through it before my CCW class. That gun has a 3in barrel and is super light with a poly frame. :confused:

m98
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
If u can try another 226. Or just sell it. My buddies issue 226 shoots like crap too. I thought it was just him until i tried it and yes, it shoots like crap at 15yds. All over the place.

paul0660
05-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd say bench the gun on a sandbag and have someone else shoot it just so it's objective.

Get back to us.

GunHo
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM

If you could only see me at home, dry firing/snap capping at every object I see, even characters on TV, and doing this all week long since my last disappointing range visit. Along with that, I’m working on my breathing as I pull the trigger. I’m watching closely on any movement after the trigger pull. I even bore sighted the gun to make sure my sights are accurate, which they are. With all the gun slinging, mirror posing, "bust a cap" yelling, that is we consider productive training, I can only hope to get the same results as you with 2"-3" groups at 20-25 ft.

PandaLuv
05-09-2012, 12:58 PM
If u can try another 226. Or just sell it. My buddies issue 226 shoots like crap too. I thought it was just him until i tried it and yes, it shoots like crap at 15yds. All over the place.

pretty sure its u.

DrMoebius
05-09-2012, 3:42 PM
I just cant see it that way. I cant tell much difference in calibers. I just qualified with my XD .40 compact and I never shot one round through it before my CCW class. That gun has a 3in barrel and is super light with a poly frame. :confused:Well, that certainly shoots down my half-assed theory! :facepalm:

I'll rent an XD40 this weekend to compare with my PPQ. My friend is also bringing his .40 P226. So, that will be a nice (somewhat) apples-to-apples comparison.

If I may ask, are you a fairly experienced shooter? The OP is 7 months new to handguns and I haven't shot regularly in a several years, and I've come to realize my technique was not all that solid to start with.

Luckee112
05-09-2012, 3:55 PM
I have owned P226 .40 cal P226 9mm and believe it is more the mechanics combined with the .40 snappiness. I know a few buddies who also have the P226 in 9mm but when they shoot my .40 it takes some adjustments to get their groupings close. Practice, practice, practice. Take a class and more practice. After all that and you still do not like it plenty of people will take that Sig off your hands. Good luck!!

Lead Waster
05-09-2012, 4:10 PM

This was my guess as well. Maybe it's the caliber and not the gun.

Lead Waster
05-09-2012, 4:19 PM
The thing about snappy muzzle flips or recoil is that it happens after the bullet is sent on its merry way. BUT it makes you flinch so all other shots go all over the place.

My inexpert suggestions;

1) Use both earplugs and ear muffs to reduce sound so that the retort is less "scary". Sounds dumb, but the sound is part of it.

2) Start off a range session with your .22 so you get used to loud range noises and whatever recoil there is.

3) Start your P226 session with the hammer cocked so it's SA

4) Try using a thumbs forward grip and get a lot of hand meat on the grip

5) Focus on that front sight

And then, it might be the caliber. My experience is this. With my 9mm CZs I can shoot very well. My .45s (glock and 1911) I'm not so good with. I picked up a friends Glock 23 (.40) and I shot pretty well with it. In fact so well that ... I just ended my 10 day wait and if I didn't have daycare pickup duty today, I'd be doing some Glock 23 pickup! But it'll have to wait until tomorrow!

Why can't I shoot well with the .45? I'm flinching on it for some reason. I will fix this when I get around to loading up more .45 ammo.

1911_sfca
05-09-2012, 8:13 PM
I bought a P226R in .40, and never really got to shooting it very well. I practiced for a while, even sent it to Gray Guns to work the trigger and install short reset. After a while, I switched from that back to my P226 in 9mm as my primary duty gun. I figure with a +P, I have good stopping power, and can shoot MUCH more accurately and quickly with that gun.

I have a P239 and a couple of P229's in .40 and can shoot them all well.. Something about the P226 in .40 just didn't work for me. So I sold it.

m98
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
pretty sure its u.

Okay, its me then. Its also my buddies two other brothers too and himself(leo). Funny thing. My tiny colt 380 out shot the fullsize 226 at 10&15yds. My old rossi 38spl outshot it. I dont have to mention all of my other guns and my buddies guns that out shot that 226.

Ofcourse there's never anything that can go wrong on sigs becuz well, to a sigfan: sigs are created by god.

Of all the p series ive dumped lead thru, that one just didnt make the cut. If only that gun was my buddies personal, i'd tell him to sell it to you for near full price -becuz i'm sure you'll buy it since it was just all of us that couldnt shoot for crap.

PandaLuv
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Besides p226, tbh, sigs aren't all that special. I don't get how you can say that the gun isn't hitting the target when there are plenty of people that are accurate with it. Even an inaccurate gun can be more accurate than the person operating it.

I didn't mean to offend you, but sigs aren't for everyone, kinda how glocks aren't for everyone either. All I was saying that you and your buddies can't shoot the gun, while many others find It pretty accurate. Well, I can blame it on the caliber too, all that recoil causes fatigue, stress and flinch, .40 just sucks.

lilro
05-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Besides p226, tbh, sigs aren't all that special. I don't get how you can say that the gun isn't hitting the target when there are plenty of people that are accurate with it. Even an inaccurate gun can be more accurate than the person operating it.

I didn't mean to offend you, but sigs aren't for everyone, kinda how glocks aren't for everyone either. All I was saying that you and your buddies can't shoot the gun, while many others find It pretty accurate. Well, I can blame it on the caliber too, all that recoil causes fatigue, stress and flinch, .40 just sucks.

So you're saying it's impossible that he got a lemon? Is Sig's QC perfect?

PandaLuv
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
So you're saying it's impossible that he got a lemon? Is Sig's QC perfect?

Is there a company that has a perfect QC?

Sure it could be a lemon, but I don't get how that would affect accuracy shooting the gun at 15 yards.

chad68
05-09-2012, 10:59 PM
If you decide to sell it through CG's, you may want to delete this "I hate my 226" thread first.

hyperion.excal
05-09-2012, 11:40 PM
OP if u ever want to sell it PM me.

loosewreck
05-10-2012, 12:00 AM
But now the blued barrel don't match, so I polished it.

Careful its not stainless, keep it well lubed from now on.

GunHo
05-10-2012, 8:33 AM
Careful its not stainless, keep it well lubed from now on.

Good question... I'm sure it's the same material most barrels are made of but I did the same polishing job on my Beretta and it remains as nice as the day I polished it. I keep them in pistol cases wrapped in cloth so to make sure no moisture gets to it.

Deadon
05-10-2012, 9:16 AM
Well, that certainly shoots down my half-assed theory! :facepalm:

I'll rent an XD40 this weekend to compare with my PPQ. My friend is also bringing his .40 P226. So, that will be a nice (somewhat) apples-to-apples comparison.

If I may ask, are you a fairly experienced shooter? The OP is 7 months new to handguns and I haven't shot regularly in a several years, and I've come to realize my technique was not all that solid to start with.

Ive only been shooting hand guns for about two years. But I do focus and practice my grip a bunch. I also do a lot of range trips. The trigger reset has helped me a bunch. Try to practice not letting the trigger come all the way forward. It makes a big difference! Make sure you have a good grip on the tang and try and cover as much as the grip as you can with your two hands. You dont want any of that tang showing.

Striker
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Here's the funny thing. This P226 was my 1st pistol 7 months ago and I actually shoot it well then. I since then bought 3 other pistols that I enjoy shooting more. I only started shooting the P226 again about 1 month againg and complete lost my groove with it. It's only been 2 dissappointing range visits and hoping too redeem myself this weekend. Hopefully the E2 grips will help. They do feel much better than the OEM feel. However, I will seriously consider parting with it if I fail to see any improvements this weekend.

Sounds to me like the problem might be your inexperience. You've been shooting for sevens months and keep jumping between pistols. It's not surprising that you shoot the 1911 better than the 226. The trigger on a 1911 is the most forgiving handgun trigger there is. DA/SA is harder to master than any other handgun trigger system. IMHO, if you want to shoot the gun well, get some quality instruction and stick with the DA/SA system for some time.

Could be a barrel problem or some other mechanical issue. Since it's an issued gun, he needs to take it to the department's armorer and have it checked out or replaced.

m98
05-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Could be a barrel problem or some other mechanical issue. Since it's an issued gun, he needs to take it to the department's armorer and have it checked out or replaced.

Just spoke with my bud bout the 226. He said it was sent back to sig and sig ended up replacing the entire gun.

Striker
05-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Just spoke with my bud bout the 226. He said it was sent back to sig and sig ended up replacing the entire gun.

Good to hear. Hope the new one is working out better for him.