PDA

View Full Version : Armalite is moving if anti-gun bill is passed by Democrat controlled IL. House

Incitatus
05-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Gun maker ready to move if bill passes

By Stephen Elliott, selliott@qconline.com

As one area gun manufacturer prepares to move from Illinois to Iowa, another confirmed he is also ready to move if necessary.

Mark Westrom, president of ArmaLite, Inc., Geneseo, said if Illinois bans making .50-caliber rifles, he will move part of his operations to Indiana. A major part of ArmaLite's operations is producing the .50-caliber rifle.

Les Baer Custom Inc., which has made custom handguns and rifles for 25 years in Illinois, is trying to move from Hillsdale to LeClaire. Mr. Baer has said constant attempts by Illinois lawmakers to restrict gun manufacturing and sales are pushing him out.

Mr. Westrom said he would eventually like to move his operations to Iowa if Illinois enacts the .50 caliber ban.

ArmaLite employs about 75 people locally.

'The situation is, if the state tells me to take part of my operation away, I'll take mine and go,' he said. 'For instance, my .50-caliber, if I cannot assemble here, I will assemble another legal (gun) here. I already have a licensed facility in Indiana I could move to in 24 hours, and could have the components (of the .50-caliber) shipped out very quickly and operate in Indiana.

rest of the story here: http://qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=335383

jnojr
05-01-2007, 5:15 PM
"Part"??? Why not the whole thing?

AJAX22
05-01-2007, 5:30 PM
Seriously, if states want to be anti gun then manufacturers should just flip them the bird and cut off all transactions with those states.

If the CADOJ couldn't buy ammo/bulletproof vests/handcuffs etc, they might be willing to play a bit nicer with us.

rorschach
05-01-2007, 5:45 PM
Seriously, if states want to be anti gun then manufacturers should just flip them the bird and cut off all transactions with those states.

Barrett is the perfect example. Ronnie will not do any business with any public agencies in California.

bwiese
05-01-2007, 5:47 PM

If the CADOJ couldn't buy ammo/bulletproof vests/handcuffs etc, they might be willing to play a bit nicer with us.

Unfortunately most larger-lot firearms sales are conducted thru distribution.

Those bans will be as easily evaded as when we were buying OLLs from vendors not selling directly into CA.

spgk380
05-01-2007, 9:31 PM
Here is an idea: why doesn't Armalite move to an Indian reservation that is willing to give them free range to produce whatever they want? There are many reservations close to major cities that would appreciate the tax revenue and jobs.

05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Good for them!

Outlaw Josey Wales
05-02-2007, 9:15 AM
"Part"??? Why not the whole thing?

What he said!

Yankee Clipper
05-02-2007, 4:19 PM
The way I remember it, and ArmaLite's history seems to confirm, the company started in this state - Costa Mesa. The only way I knew that it was nearby was that my next door neighbor worked there as a draftsman in the early 1960's. The company has since gone through a lot of tortured iterations including, would you believe, being bought by a Philippine company and temporally domiciled there. If I'd of thought of it, maybe I could have gotten a job there sweeping floors when they were in Costa Mesa (while going to school down the street) and met Stoner. Oh well!