PDA

View Full Version : Trigger job on GLOCK yay or nay

NorCalK9.com
05-03-2012, 9:53 PM
I jave mixed feelings on messing with something that aint broke. But some people have been telling me to do a trigger job on all my glocks. I bought the Glock brand and stick with it cause its Reliable.
Will messing with the trivger mess with reliability?
My guess would be yes vut im no expert.
I dont care what any other gun fans have to say. Im talking avout glocks and prefer to hear from experienced glock shooters.
I think I need a TUNA melt lmao.

zdragon
05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
That "25cent trigger job" video on youtube would enhance your glock trigger....no aftermarket part required.

CaptBuzz
05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I like my fulcrum trigger but the trigger actually get's pretty warm after a while. While testing with no loctite the screws did move around a little, enough to where the trigger wouldn't reset so it went into the bag since I didn't have the tiny allen wrench with me.
I hated the grooved factory trigger on my G23 but the smooth faced factory triggers are much more comfortable (IMO).
Doing a polishing job, Glock factory smooth-faced trigger and a drop in 3.5lb Ghost connector is the route I'd take if I were to do it all again.

NorCalK9.com
05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Any run n gun guys?
Someone who has a trigger job on their glock that puts 500 - 1k rounds thru alot. My berreta will cycle for couple hundred rounds then starts crapping on me at about 300 rounds. Would it be likely that a trigger job done by a gunsmith would result in reset failures on long shooting days?

tacticalcity
05-03-2012, 11:11 PM
For a competition or target gun sure why not? For a self defense gun heck no!

If you are really running and gunning, and scared out of your mind, heart pumping, blood and adrenaline racing, barely can feel your arms much less your fingers...a super hair trigger probably not a good idea.

Years ago I wanted to do the same thing for my self defense Glock 19. Some very smart and experienced shooters said don't do it, for the reason above. Glad I listened.

But if I were to build a race gun, where nobody is shooting back? Sure, I wouldn't mind a lighter souped up trigger.

My $0.02.

NorCalK9.com
05-03-2012, 11:18 PM
@tacticalcity
Im sold. Thanks. My concern was/is it no longer being reliable after trigger job, alot of us forget that if $h1t goes down we prob aint gonna ve calm n collective. So you are right this is my sd pistol, so i'll keep it stock. Thanks bud.

c3 rolling
05-04-2012, 1:32 AM
Just get the oem glock 4.5 connector and do the. 25 cent trigger job. If you dry practice and shoot it a lot the trigger gets VERY smooth and lighter. The difference between my high mileage and new glocks is huge.

NorCalK9.com
05-04-2012, 1:38 AM
@c3
Thanks bud.

Bill Carson
05-04-2012, 1:56 AM
Glock Perfection

m98
05-04-2012, 2:25 AM
For a competition or target gun sure why not? For a self defense gun heck no!

If you are really running and gunning, and scared out of your mind, heart pumping, blood and adrenaline racing, barely can feel your arms much less your fingers...a super hair trigger probably not a good idea.

Years ago I wanted to do the same thing for my self defense Glock 19. Some very smart and experienced shooters said don't do it, for the reason above. Glad I listened.

But if I were to build a race gun, where nobody is shooting back? Sure, I wouldn't mind a lighter souped up trigger.

My $0.02.

^^^I'm with tact on this^^^

AlliedArmory
05-04-2012, 2:50 AM
$0.25 trigger job does wonders. No changed out parts at all. Just polishing it up.

If you really want it to feel nice, get a Ghost Rocket 3.5 connector. I have a lot of friends who hate Glocks because of the trigger, but after the mods they actually sorta like them now lol

tbhracing
05-04-2012, 2:50 AM
James Yeager says NO! You do not need to modify your pistol to be a better shooter, just wear out the gun. You have a lighter trigger on the gun already if you just learn how to use the trigger reset. I will try to post the video here later on.

Nynvolt
05-04-2012, 2:51 AM
I stoned (lightly) polishing up some of the already worn parts, as in, after a few thousand rounds I went through and polished anything that was already somewhat worn from firing the gun. It's personal preference and I just did it for something to do, it didn't do much but that's fine. I already like the glock trigger.

HighLander51
05-04-2012, 5:43 AM
Other than the 3.5lb connector, after you put 50,000 rounds it will seem normal. For non-competition Glocks, you don't want an adjustable trigger.

DRAB_81
05-04-2012, 7:03 AM
I've tried 2 or 3 different 3.5 connectors, and even a Vanek Classic Grand Master Trigger Kit, and all my Glocks are back to stock now (even my competition guns). After shooting 1000's of rounds through several Glocks, I have learned to love the stock trigger.

NorCalK9.com
05-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Yeah my glock23 is OLD early 90's production. Came from a fellow cg'er that was le, and that thing has some rounds thru it, he estimated 30k+ and thr trigger does feel alot smoother than my gen3 g27

zdragon
05-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I've tried 2 or 3 different 3.5 connectors, and even a Vanek Classic Grand Master Trigger Kit, and all my Glocks are back to stock now (even my competition guns). After shooting 1000's of rounds through several Glocks, I have learned to love the stock trigger.

same here....stock Glock trigger is king.
just a .25ct trigger job and leave everything stock.

mpwang
05-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Are you a Yeager fan tbhracing? You didn't seem like one. Also, the 25 cent trigger mod is good enough to do so you don't waste money on parts you won't like. Maybe get a 3.5 connector, but maybe. Smoothes the trigger pull out a lot.

tradecraft
05-04-2012, 11:11 AM
I have two G19s - one with a Ghost Rocket and one without. The difference is noticeable and both run at 100% reliability.

1911su16b870
05-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Buy 2000 rounds of ammo, take a couple tactical classes and after shooting those 2000 rounds, your trigger will be silky smooth :D

NorCalK9.com
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
@1911su
Lol bud I have WAY more than 2k rounds thru my glocks. I live in country n shoot as much as I want.
As for the class, I will end up taking some type of tactical shooting course, prob is all the ninjas n elitists that go to those things. But if youre in the sfbay can you reccomend any?

Untamed1972
05-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Just a polish job and a 3.5lb connector makes for a nice package. Just smooths it out more than anything.

luchador768
05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I got a really nice trigger job, cost about $900. It came with a free 1911.

Sam
05-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Just a polish job and a 3.5lb connector makes for a nice package. Just smooths it out more than anything.

We all have our own opinions on trigger jobs on carry/defense guns, but for me I think a trigger job is acceptable if it (1) allows you to shoot more accurately, quicker, (2) is in the 5ish pound range(for safety), and (3) is reliable. I put in a minus connector and then got a polish job, and it does allow me to shoot better, is at safe weight, and is just as reliable as stock.

I realize that with trigger jobs I'm essentially "buying" skill by making it easier to put rounds where I want them to go, but I don't see the point of making it harder on myself. If a person wants to strictly get better (who doesn't really) and keep everything stock, great. I want to get better, but my chief concern is putting rounds on target accurately and quickly.

SouperMan
05-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Try the 25-cent Trigger Job before investing any money, OEM parts or not.

Basically, the 25-cent trigger job entails polishing the the key parts of the trigger assembly by making the surfaces smoother. Combined with a good gun oil with these newly smoothed out areas, the trigger pull is a lot smoother because of less resistance encountered with a rough surface. I've done it on my brand new Glocks and "brand new to me" Glocks, and the before/afters are perceivable.

tacticalcity
05-04-2012, 12:04 PM
You are in the unique situation of having multiple guns. No reason one can't become the project gun you mess with. If you are bored, go for it. Just remember which one is which.

I would be giving totally different advice if you were a new shooter and this were your only gun.

Every situation is different.

ChaneRZ
05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
range gun=yes
HD/SD-no

cwin
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I personally like the glock trigger the way it is and wouldn't change it unless its going to solely be a competition gun.

emtmark
05-04-2012, 12:21 PM
@1911su
Lol bud I have WAY more than 2k rounds thru my glocks. I live in country n shoot as much as I want.
As for the class, I will end up taking some type of tactical shooting course, prob is all the ninjas n elitists that go to those things. But if youre in the sfbay can you reccomend any?

Highly recommend Gray Ops in Sacramento! Fantastic learning (and affordable) environment. Shooting well is emphasized over shooting fast. www.gofast1.com

tbhracing
05-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Are you a Yeager fan tbhracing? You didn't seem like one.
LOL, yes I am. Just curious why I wouldnt seem like a fan of his? :)

1911su16b870
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
You said it brother! If you've put your rounds down the tube of that Glock...

Don't be ....messing with something that aint broke...

:D

NorCalK9.com
05-04-2012, 2:03 PM
@lychdor768
Lol 1911's suck
And
All guns should be glocks.
Both are saying by a wise old man lol

Tanner68
05-04-2012, 2:25 PM
Anyone know of any websites or youtube videos that quantify that the 25cent trigger job accomplishes something? I will look around and post up if I find something.

random name
05-04-2012, 2:29 PM
polishing is all I'll do on my non comp Glocks.
you can always take off more metal but you cant put it back on.

NEVER DREMEL IN ANGER

Dhena81
05-04-2012, 2:39 PM
For me there is nothing wrong with the stock trigger I don't even have a desire to do a polishing job I can shoot fine to 50 yards. The link at the bottom is an example of what might have not happened to a stock Glock part. On another note most people never shoot 16k rounds through their aftermarket part to even comment. To me it speaks for itself I love it when people post I have 500 rounds through my gun and no problems lol.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6459

EWILKE
05-04-2012, 2:42 PM
I have it in all of my glocks and love the short reset as far as light pull don't notice much of a difference between 5.5 and 4.0 I always use the full power firing pin spring.

teflondog
05-04-2012, 2:47 PM
I did the 25 cent trigger job on my 21SF, which helped reduce the grit in the take up. I wasn't sure if there was an actual improvement or if it was just a placebo effect since the difference wasn't dramatic.

On my 30SF, I heat treated the trigger bar, connector, and plunger safety with Froglube. The Froglube had a much more noticeable impact than the 25 cent trigger job. Not only did it smoothen up the take up, but the trigger break became a lot more crisp as well. The perceived trigger pull weight was reduced dramatically. For any future Glocks I buy, I'm going to skip the polish job and just do the Froglube treatment.

llamatrnr
05-04-2012, 2:47 PM
Did you know that GLOCK spelled incorrectly = STOCK? :D

Like others have said, OEM is GTG, IMO

Untamed1972
05-04-2012, 2:49 PM
Anyone know of any websites or youtube videos that quantify that the 25cent trigger job accomplishes something? I will look around and post up if I find something.

There are several of them on youtube. I watched a couple before doing mine. It is very simple, and a dremel with a polishing wheel makes it super easy.

Mana4real
05-04-2012, 3:39 PM
@1911su

USI in Concord has Tactical Pistol Classes on I think it's the first Saturday of every month. I'm not sure if it's a member only thing or not though.

himurax13
05-04-2012, 6:24 PM
Just get the oem glock 4.5 connector and do the. 25 cent trigger job. If you dry practice and shoot it a lot the trigger gets VERY smooth and lighter. The difference between my high mileage and new glocks is huge.

This. Getting a weaker striker spring in a competition kit leads to light primer strikes. Glocks are OK guns, but even their highly modded triggers is still not as good as a Nice 1911 or CZ trigger. I also find that using lighter recoil springs and better sights help out somewhat.

Liberty Customs
05-04-2012, 8:02 PM
.25 trigger job is nice. it's basically breaking the gun in the cheap way.

NorCalK9.com
05-04-2012, 8:26 PM
@himurax13
Lol bud. Glocks are ok guns?
1911's SUCK!
And
All guns should be GLOCKS!
Thats what a wise old man once s as id

luchador768
05-04-2012, 9:17 PM
I love Glocks too, I've had four 23's over the years. It's perfect for what it is. If your chasing the perfect trigger, the 1911 really can't be beat.

Shenaniguns
05-04-2012, 9:38 PM
We all have our own opinions on trigger jobs on carry/defense guns, but for me I think a trigger job is acceptable if it (1) allows you to shoot more accurately, quicker, (2) is in the 5ish pound range(for safety), and (3) is reliable. I put in a minus connector and then got a polish job, and it does allow me to shoot better, is at safe weight, and is just as reliable as stock.

I realize that with trigger jobs I'm essentially "buying" skill by making it easier to put rounds where I want them to go, but I don't see the point of making it harder on myself. If a person wants to strictly get better (who doesn't really) and keep everything stock, great. I want to get better, but my chief concern is putting rounds on target accurately and quickly.

I have to agree with you!

This discussion was made a month ago and I've described reasonable modifications like Apex's DCAEK and RAM which is preferred by DocGKR and approved for over a dozen departments nationwide, Todd Green runs the 4.5 connector in his carry Glock and many other well known industry people carry with modified triggers.

locosway
05-04-2012, 9:39 PM
I jave mixed feelings on messing with something that aint broke. But some people have been telling me to do a trigger job on all my glocks. I bought the Glock brand and stick with it cause its Reliable.
Will messing with the trivger mess with reliability?
My guess would be yes vut im no expert.
I dont care what any other gun fans have to say. Im talking avout glocks and prefer to hear from experienced glock shooters.
I think I need a TUNA melt lmao.

Depending on what you use your pistol for, and how often, it can be beneficial or a waste of time.

If you use this as a range gun and shoot a decent amount, but you also keep it for HD/SD, then I would suggest at most a 3.5lbs connector and some polish. If this isn't a SD/HD gun, then knock yourself out and do whatever you like.

If you can, get with someone who has some work done to their Glock trigger so you can compare it to yours. All of mine have some work done to them except for the G19, because that's meant to be a carry piece.

Shenaniguns
05-04-2012, 9:43 PM
Did you know that GLOCK spelled incorrectly = STOCK? :D

Like others have said, OEM is GTG, IMO

If that was true, many people would not be waiting on an aftermarket extractor to make the newest 9mm models reliable.

DRAB_81
05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
If that was true, many people would not be waiting on an aftermarket extractor to make the newest 9mm models reliable.

Not to pick a fight, but seriously? The comment you quoted was directed towards the TRIGGER, not the extractor/ejector. You seem like a smart enough guy, do you really buy that all early GEN 4 9mm's are paperweights, because 25 guys post issues on the interwebz & then 25,000 guys exaggerate and spread FUD? I personally know of 3 GEN 4 G17's (Born between 1/2011-3/2011 with original 0-2 RSA/336 Ejector/Extractor) that have zero issues. One of them is mine (2000+rds), one is a buddy from Folsom, and the other just moved to Texas. I've never met anyone personally that had had a problematic GEN 4. I'm not saying there weren't some issues, just that internet hysteria doesn't usually result in the dissemination of facts.

I have also read some of your posts about your M&P ventures. I'm glad you found the platform that fits you best. That being said, it seems strange to me that people would spend all that money "upgrading" the M&P trigger (which from what I've read is terrible). One of the main reasons guys move from Glock to M&P, is the trigger (Grip is probably #1). The DCAEK + RAM sounds a lot like a Glock trigger, but I've never shot one, so I can't say for sure. It's been described as having a crisper break, stronger reset & the new drop in unit you posted about looks just like a Glock trigger. I think the M&P is a solid weapon, as are XD, HK, Sig blah blah blah. I just prefer Glocks, and I don't go around bashing other guys' weapon of choice.

locosway
05-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Not to pick a fight, but seriously? The comment you quoted was directed towards the TRIGGER, not the extractor/ejector. You seem like a smart enough guy, do you really buy that all early GEN 4 9mm's are paperweights, because 25 guys post issues on the interwebz & then 25,000 guys exaggerate and spread FUD? I personally know of 3 GEN 4 G17's (Born between 1/2011-3/2011 with original 0-2 RSA/336 Ejector/Extractor) that have zero issues. One of them is mine (2000+rds), one is a buddy from Folsom, and the other just moved to Texas. I've never met anyone personally that had had a problematic GEN 4. I'm not saying there weren't some issues, just that internet hysteria doesn't usually result in the dissemination of facts.

I have also read some of your posts about your M&P ventures. I'm glad you found the platform that fits you best. That being said, it seems strange to me that people would spend all that money "upgrading" the M&P trigger (which from what I've read is terrible). One of the main reasons guys move from Glock to M&P, is the trigger (Grip is probably #1). The DCAEK + RAM sounds a lot like a Glock trigger, but I've never shot one, so I can't say for sure. It's been described as having a crisper break, stronger reset & the new drop in unit you posted about looks just like a Glock trigger. I think the M&P is a solid weapon, as are XD, HK, Sig blah blah blah. I just prefer Glocks, and I don't go around bashing other guys' weapon of choice.

I had a Gen4 with problems in my possession recently. They do exist, even if they're uncommon.

NorCalK9.com
05-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I do domingo has a m&p and trigger sux ballz! And in crazy torture test my g27 beat it to hell

akdmx
05-04-2012, 10:43 PM
No amount of break-in will decrease the excessive (IMO) trigger uptake. I tried polishing the stock parts with a dremel and Flitx. Now I'm using a Fulcrum Trigger kit. The lighter pull is nice, but the main reason I upgraded was for the flat trigger face and set screws so I could decrease pre/post travel.

You could run a Fulcrum trigger with all of the stock springs and eliminate a lot of the reliability concerns people have while still experiencing a monumental improvement in trigger action (not to be compared with a "$.25 job").

Shenaniguns
05-05-2012, 6:44 AM

I already covered the trigger angle on the previous post, I'm just tired of the "OEM only! " crowd that claim stock is always the best or safest when that is not necessarily true across the board. Nobody snears when a $700+ 1911 goes in to a shop to get de-MIM'd, accurized and a reliability job but it can't be done to other guns? Why? There isn't a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Customs that churn out warrantied custom Glocks and M&P's yet or I'd pay more for the extra attention to detail, better made parts, accurizing and better quality control.

You may think the 2010 and up Glock issues are just a rumor, but many industry people have experienced the problems and some didn't have problems until after a few thousand rounds. I'm personally buying a Gen 4 G19 today and will post if there are any problems, if there are and Glock can't fix it than Apex Tactical Specialties will!

And try not to take it personally if someone lists possible problems with your favorite gun.

HighLander51
05-05-2012, 6:51 AM
What's a $700+ 1911 ? Good 1911's start at $1,500 and go up thru $5,000 for Open guns.

DRAB_81
05-05-2012, 7:43 AM
I already covered the trigger angle on the previous post, I'm just tired of the "OEM only! " crowd that claim stock is always the best or safest when that is not necessarily true across the board. Nobody snears when a $700+ 1911 goes in to a shop to get de-MIM'd, accurized and a reliability job but it can't be done to other guns? Why? There isn't a Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Customs that churn out warrantied custom Glocks and M&P's yet or I'd pay more for the extra attention to detail, better made parts, accurizing and better quality control.

You may think the 2010 and up Glock issues are just a rumor, but many industry people have experienced the problems and some didn't have problems until after a few thousand rounds. I'm personally buying a Gen 4 G19 today and will post if there are any problems, if there are and Glock can't fix it than Apex Tactical Specialties will!

And try not to take it personally if someone lists possible problems with your favorite gun.

I don't see how your other post covered the trigger angle, but I'll take your word for it. You still took a comment about Glock TRIGGERS, and took it as an opportunity to cast doubt into the reliabilty GEN 4's. I do applaud you for planning to test a GEN 4 G19 for your own research though. Also, it looks like you have a pretty close relationship with APEX, so I'll be looking forward to seeing Glock products from them based on your testing. They seem to have nailed the M&P line, so I'm all for more aftermarket options for Glocks as well.

I don't take it personally if someone doesn't like my guns. Just like you are sick of the STOCK ONLY crowd, I'm sick of guys blowing the GEN 4 issues out of proportion. I never said it was only rumor, and I acknowledge that there were a few problematic guns.

I'm also sick of guys that jump into threads bout guns other than their favorite, just to sling mud. I know some of the Glock guys are the worst, but it bothers me either way. That's why I don't post negative comments in M&P/XD/HK/SIG etc threads.

I prefer the stock Glock trigger because I like the way it breaks & resets, and I shoot it the best. My SD & Competition Glocks all have stock triggers for that reason. I don't buy the legal worries of modified triggers, but there have definitely been some reliability issues with Glock trigger jobs. I guess I'm just lucky that I don't have to worry about any of that, since the stock setup works best for me anyway.

tal3nt
05-05-2012, 6:42 PM
Anything you can do to a GLOCK is a downgrade IMO

NorCalK9.com
05-05-2012, 7:17 PM
Im with you tal3nt!

Shenaniguns
05-05-2012, 8:33 PM
I don't see how your other post covered the trigger angle, but I'll take your word for it. You still took a comment about Glock TRIGGERS, and took it as an opportunity to cast doubt into the reliabilty GEN 4's. I do applaud you for planning to test a GEN 4 G19 for your own research though. Also, it looks like you have a pretty close relationship with APEX, so I'll be looking forward to seeing Glock products from them based on your testing. They seem to have nailed the M&P line, so I'm all for more aftermarket options for Glocks as well.

I don't take it personally if someone doesn't like my guns. Just like you are sick of the STOCK ONLY crowd, I'm sick of guys blowing the GEN 4 issues out of proportion. I never said it was only rumor, and I acknowledge that there were a few problematic guns.

I'm also sick of guys that jump into threads bout guns other than their favorite, just to sling mud. I know some of the Glock guys are the worst, but it bothers me either way. That's why I don't post negative comments in M&P/XD/HK/SIG etc threads.

I prefer the stock Glock trigger because I like the way it breaks & resets, and I shoot it the best. My SD & Competition Glocks all have stock triggers for that reason. I don't buy the legal worries of modified triggers, but there have definitely been some reliability issues with Glock trigger jobs. I guess I'm just lucky that I don't have to worry about any of that, since the stock setup works best for me anyway.

Like I said here and the quoted posts:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=8523236&postcount=45

And I pick up my Gen 4 G19 in 10 days. The trigger on it is decent so outside of the flat G17 trigger and minor polishing it's staying stock. The improved ergonomics of the Gen 4 is what's bringing me back to them and I hope my born in March Glock has all the bugs worked out.