PDA

View Full Version : My Little Pony

five.five-six
05-03-2012, 9:36 PM
I have a problem with my son's colt frontier scout in .22lr, it shoots low and right.. and yes it's the gun, it does the same thing for everyone that shoots it and even bench rested. if it was my gun, I would not care all that much and just use good old Kentucky windage, but it's my 6-year-old's gun and I think it best he learns with a gun that shoots straight.

jben
05-03-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure I see a question...

Buy a gun that shoots straight?

five.five-six
05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Ehh, I can make a 1" group at 7 yards. Part of the problem is that it's a smaller SA type grip.. I am not all that concerned with the lack of precision, it's the accuracy that gives me pause for concern. I guess the question is: Is this a common problem with the .22LR frontier scout and is there a known fix?

k55f
05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
How low and how right? If it's just a couple of inches each at 10 meters, then you can bend the front sight over and file it a little(the lower the front site the higher it shoots) but I would consider selling or trading the gun before I'd modify it.
Colt stopped making these in the late 60s or early 70s, when they started making the New Frontier with adjustable sights and they are getting hard to find.
There is someone out there that would love to own that gun.

dfletcher
05-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't know how much it will help on a rimfire, but when a centerfire pistol is hitting low the fix is often a slower, heavier bullet. If you're using high velocity 32 or 36 grain bullets you might try 40 grain standard velocity.

Removing a bit of the front sight will also move the point of impact up.

five.five-six
05-04-2012, 3:25 PM
How low and how right? If it's just a couple of inches each at 10 meters, then you can bend the front sight over and file it a little(the lower the front site the higher it shoots) but I would consider selling or trading the gun before I'd modify it.
Colt stopped making these in the late 60s or early 70s, when they started making the New Frontier with adjustable sights and they are getting hard to find.
There is someone out there that would love to own that gun.

At 7 yards, it's about 1" down and 1" right.... and yea, I don't see selling it. it's a cool gun, and being SA with a transfer bar, great for my kid to learn with.

I can move the blade up in the sight picture, it's mostly the off to the right that bothers me, as my kid gets more proficient, I don't want him learning thats how guns shoot.... he could be forever high and left.

cannon
05-04-2012, 5:19 PM
At 7 yards, it's about 1" down and 1" right.... and yea, I don't see selling it. it's a cool gun, and being SA with a transfer bar, great for my kid to learn with.

I can move the blade up in the sight picture, it's mostly the off to the right that bothers me, as my kid gets more proficient, I don't want him learning thats how guns shoot.... he could be forever high and left.

Children are the most adaptable beings on this planet. As he gets proficient with the Colt let him try others and he will quickly adapt and become a better shooter for it.

five.five-six
05-14-2012, 4:35 PM
Children are the most adaptable beings on this planet. As he gets proficient with the Colt let him try others and he will quickly adapt and become a better shooter for it.

Yes, even being an inch off, it is still a lot more accurate and precise than he is. I like the single action and transfer bar for safety for the child, it makes an AD far more unlikely

bigcalidave
05-14-2012, 4:37 PM
I expected this to be a brony theme ak build from the title.

Flintlock Tom
05-15-2012, 8:22 AM
Adjust the front sight to point where the bullet hits.
File it down and bend it to the right.

If it's a collectable gun, buy a spare front sight for the adjustments and keep the original sight for the collect-ability.

"Colt .22", My Little Pony? Cute.