PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe Options & Advice?

mgw12
05-03-2012, 7:25 PM
I NEED to purchase a gun safe and I do not know anything about them! Since I am only buying one I want it to be well made and fire proof/ I need to keep about 10-12 long guns aand a few hand guns...then maybe some ammo.

I don't want to spend a lot nor do I have the money for "the best"! I guess I need a work horse with out bells and whistles it what I am saying.

Any advice on what to look for and cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice, help or direction,

Matt

dobek
05-03-2012, 8:31 PM
I know you didn't ask for it - but -

THE BEST - http://www.sturdysafe.com/

One thing I have found in my life is - buy the best, you will never be disappointed.

If you just want a safe - any of the mass produced safes will work.... just make sure it is fireproof -

for the next step up I would say - http://www.heritagesafe.com/

Now another un-asked-for piece of advice - - get the biggest one you can possible afford - even stretch to get it bigger - - again with safes, there is no such thing as too much room. You WILL run out of room (but that isn't a bad thing)

Steve

Librarian
05-03-2012, 8:41 PM
And scroll down a bit further to find the safe forum, with stickies on how to choose.

RaiderNation
05-03-2012, 8:43 PM
^ what he said. Buy the biggest one you can. You would be surprised how fast it will fill up. I purchased a Liberty safe not to long ago and wish I got a bigger safe.

stix213
05-03-2012, 11:17 PM
When you buy them they are rated by how many long guns can fit, but they don't take into account any accessories that hang off to the side or large mags or grips off the bottom, or anything along those lines. You're unlikely going to fit as many in there as they claim unless they are all M1 Carbines.

I'd recommend buying a safe that can hold at least 3x the long guns you currently have or expect to buy in the near future.

^ what he said. Buy the biggest one you can. You would be surprised how fast it will fill up. I purchased a Liberty safe not to long ago and wish I got a bigger safe.

I bought a Libery safe not that long ago too. 30 long gun model, but with far fewer than that it is already seeming full (only around 10). I highly recommend getting the thing that hangs off the back of the door that has pockets for handguns. Saves a ton of shelf room and keeps them from scratching each other up.

I spent around $2,000 though for mine with installation (at 650LB I figured I'd let them do it), which obviously is not a small amount to come up with these days for most people. At least anyone that has to drive anywhere. It helps to think of it as an investment though in protection the far more valuable stuff inside. Buy once cry once. I'm not knowledgable about fire protection but mine is rated at 45 minutes. Don't know at all if that is enough.

One thing I didn't realize about mine is there is only a limited number of really long guns that can fit in it. They only cut a small hole in the top shelf to allow about 5 really tall ones. All the other long guns have to be shorter than my top shelf. My mossy 500, M91/30, and long barreled Saiga 12 go there, and don't leave me much room for many other really long ones. Fortunately all my others are shorter, but just something you should watch out for depending on your collection.

chiz_65
05-04-2012, 6:13 AM
10-12 long guns including some pistols and ammo? That's a lot of hardware to store. You're going to spend a little cash whether you like it or not. Hit the safe forum, Ebay, and Craigslist to see if anything used is out there.

91 whiskey 209
05-04-2012, 6:20 AM
I bought a fat boy jr for just over 1,000 OTD. Very happy with it. I didnt think I would need such a big safe, however listening to the more experienced guys advice swayed me into buying the fatboy. It's pretty stocked up now with all of my gun stuff so getting the biggest safe you can possibly afford is good advice.

X231
05-04-2012, 6:28 AM
I have a Sturdy safe I bought several years ago. Seems the price has gone up on all safes since then. Two things .. any safe is better than no safe and you'll never say "I wish I'd bought a smaller safe". If you're on a budget I'd look at the Costco/Sam's club safes.

JB-Norcal
05-04-2012, 7:47 AM
My first safe was a 10 gun, oops bad mistake. It's full with only 3 rifles, one pistol and all the other "stuff". Go big(ger).

Capybara
05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I bought a Sun Valley Welding safe ten years ago. It has been great, it is a twelve long gun safe, I agree with the others, I only have eight in it and it is full. You have long guns with scopes, pistol grips, magazines and they expand to fit the space. I could fit 12 Ruger 10/22s without scopes but when you put in trap shotguns, scoped AR15s and scoped target rifles, they protrude into the space where all of the other guns would go.

Whatever you buy, bolt it to the floor! Buy something heavy, I think mine weighs around 500lbs. The internal LED lighting is a must, it makes organizing and finding things much better. I love my safe, it has been great, any gun owner should have one.

Sunspring
05-04-2012, 8:05 PM
I agree with Capybara. Whichever safe you purchase, make sure you bolt it down. A safe is of no use if someone could roll away with it using a dolly... :auto:

Liberty Customs
05-04-2012, 8:49 PM
I would look into American Safes, they are made down in Fontana. I have one and love it. Definitely go bigger than you think you need. I am also hearing safes that are being stolen, 500lb and bigger, so bolt that sucker down. I would also stay away from the keypad entry system, they are quick and easy but they don't last and they usually cost more.

Capybara
05-04-2012, 9:18 PM
Mine came with a digital keypad lock, it lasted ten years and recently started malfunctioning so I called the manufacturer out, it was $200.00 to replace it with a newer digital keypad, it was $200.00. I could live with that after a decade. New lock is flawless.

Dark Sky Solutions
05-04-2012, 9:39 PM
I NEED to purchase a gun safe and I do not know anything about them! Since I am only buying one I want it to be well made and fire proof/ I need to keep about 10-12 long guns aand a few hand guns...then maybe some ammo.

I don't want to spend a lot nor do I have the money for "the best"! I guess I need a work horse with out bells and whistles it what I am saying.

Any advice on what to look for and cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice, help or direction,

Matt

Matt. Look at sun welding safes. Let me know when you are ready to purchase and what you want. We can work something out. Pm me if you have any questions.

Ron-Solo
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I have two American Security Safes. One is an almost 30 year old RS030 that was my fathers, the other is a new (last year) TF6036 that has the door organizer included. It has a digital lock, the old one a dial. Both are great but the dial lock is getting a little finicky to open.

No gun safe will hold as many guns as they are "rated" for, so like others have said, get the biggest ou can afford and fit. My older one has slots for 12 long guns and before I got my new one, it had 22 rifles in it, two per slot put in very carefully. My John Wayne Winchester and Souix Winchester each had their own slot. My new safe is rated at 34, but you can't put two rifles side by side in the notches. Same manufacturer, 30 years apart.

You can always store other stuff of value in the safe. I don't store any ammo in mine, because there is no room. I am almost to the point of needing another safe.

My wife does not understand. :( She keeps calling it an arsenal rather than a collection.

Turners will occasionally have AmSec safes on sale at decent prices.

I picked mine up direct from AmSec with a friends Tundra pickup. They laid it down in the bed with a forklift, then three of us offloaded it into my garage onto a moving pad. We slid it into place and pulled the pad out from under it. Both of mine are bolted to the floor and my garage is alarmed.

DGoodale
05-05-2012, 7:30 AM
Here's a pretty good video that talks about different safes and construction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&t=1m25s

mgw12
05-05-2012, 7:31 AM
Here's a pretty good video that talks about different safes and construction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8

Thanks watching it now!

mgw12
05-05-2012, 7:33 AM
Matt. Look at sun welding safes. Let me know when you are ready to purchase and what you want. We can work something out. Pm me if you have any questions.

Thanks I went to view the web site yesterday ..that is a nice video.

anyracoon
05-05-2012, 7:38 AM
Always get the biggest. I have to big safes that are now not big enough!

mgw12
05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Here's a pretty good video that talks about different safes and construction. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&t=1m25s

WOW...I liked this informative video!...thanks

SoCal Bob
05-05-2012, 1:45 PM
Lowe's carries Liberty safes and usually have 12 and 20 CF models in stock. They have a 12 month interest free financing deal at the moment if you use their card.

VMCJ-3
05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I have never heard anyone say, "I wish I had bought a smaller safe".

No matter what you get and no matter how heavy it may be, bolt it into the floor. Assuming it will be placed on a concrete floor, borrow/rent a Roto-Hammer and use Red Head wedge anchor bolts. If your concrete slab is a post-tension type, be VERY careful not to hit a P/T cable.

Blarson
05-06-2012, 1:41 PM
Check out and read the thread "Costco safes to be on sale soon". There are really great discussions, options and opinions on there regarding this subject. Also some really good deals through great vendors.

Dark Sky Solutions
05-06-2012, 9:04 PM
Thanks I went to view the web site yesterday ..that is a nice video.

Matt, have you made a decision on what safe you want? PM me with specifics for sun welding safes and I can get you over a price quote.