PDA

View Full Version : Where has all the ammo gone?

chaseface
05-03-2012, 1:40 PM
I live in the north Bay Area. Went to 2 different Wallmarts last week. Almost all of the ammo was gone from both including .45, 9mm and .308. I'm like wtf everything I shoot they were out of. They said they were getting another shipment in a few days, so I went back. Sorry we already sold out again of all three types. WTF?? So I went back a third time today and they had another shipment come in, but everything was sold except 2 box's of .45 Winchester hollow points. That is some expensive plinking ammo. But gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Luckily found another gun shop that had a few boxes of PMC .45 and some 9mm so I'm doin ok now, but what is up? I've never had this problem before. Election year? or just now that it's getting closer to summer?

Edited to add. Still couldn't find any decent priced .308 though only the really expensive stuff so i had to order that online

SilverTauron
05-03-2012, 1:47 PM
Ive noticed the local WalMart was completely out of 9mm.

I was able to get some ammo from a different store, so I doubt there is an actual "shortage" going on. Summer time's around the corner, folks are dustin' off the rifles and pistols for a season of shooting, and Wally World is the cheapest place to get ammo this side of a reloading bench.

I doubt its "election year" fever insofar as ammo is concerned, otherwise there would be no ammo anywhere. When you can't get ammo at Joe's Family Owned Gun Store, then its a political situation. That said, the "Obama Effect" seems to be taking hold in terms of magazines;I went in to pick up my gun-broker auction win from last week,and noticed magazines have gone up up and away in terms of price. Last year the only $40 high capacity magazines in the cases were made in Germany, but now even the M&P 17 round mags are going for $39.99.

ns3v3n
05-03-2012, 1:53 PM
Maybe it's time for you to look into reloading OP, then you wont give a crap on why Walmart and other places are running out because you can make your own.

chrisf
05-03-2012, 1:56 PM
Yea im in the same boat in thr east bay. They were literally all out of 9mm. I went to Stockton because I was there anyway there always in stock :-)

jpm804
05-03-2012, 1:59 PM
Went to the walmart in Milpitas today.. saw some federal 9mm 50rd packs, no 100rd value packs..

I think I saw some Federal .40 and .45 50rd packs...not sure since not really on the lookout for those.

JMP
05-03-2012, 2:01 PM
That's why people shoot the "snappy" .40 S&W. It is the last to run out.

Sac-AR15
05-03-2012, 2:10 PM
I was going through the same thing here in the Sac area. Especially Walmart. I got fed up and now I reload my own ammo. Much cheaper and so far it's been more consistent. Plus I enjoy reloading.

Joe
05-03-2012, 2:14 PM
It's election year. ammo will be gone for the next three years

unusedusername
05-03-2012, 2:14 PM
Where has all the ammo gone?

I bought all of it. Moooohahahahahahahahaahha!

No.

It is probably just a local supplier issue since most of the mail order online places seem to be fully stocked.

MisterPo
05-03-2012, 2:17 PM
I was going through the same thing here in the Sac area. Especially Walmart. I got fed up and now I reload my own ammo. Much cheaper and so far it's been more consistent. Plus I enjoy reloading.

Well said. I started reloading for the same reasons. I get to shoot more rounds for the same price as factory ammo.

fullspeed1
05-03-2012, 2:19 PM
Direct result of the 2008 elections.....You may as well jump on the bandwagon

http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr250/fullspeed1/IMG00010-20100727-2151.jpg

orthopod
05-03-2012, 2:22 PM
Was that at the mountain view store OP? I went in last week, last weekend, and on Tuesday and no 9mm or .223 for me. I was going to go again to check for some
Today but not if it's
All gone already.

Travis590A1
05-03-2012, 2:27 PM
I think its just walmart and other big name stores who lack the stock. Almost everytime I ever go into wal mart all I ever see is empty shelves regarding ammo. My local gunstore however is always stocked I have yet to go into my local gunshop and leave empty handed lol. My theory is that since everyone and there mom shops at wal mart that they are always first to lose stock. To be perfectly honest they really arent all that cheap anyway since they only stock Winchester and Remington (for the most part) ive yet to see a wal mart stock PMC, Blazer or any other moderately priced ammo.

nocomply25
05-03-2012, 2:48 PM

I would love to learn how to reload, but i would be to sketched that I am going to make a round that explodes in my gun. I would be up for it but would like to work with someone for the first couple 100 rounds before going solo. anyone want an apprentice?!

hornswaggled
05-03-2012, 3:02 PM
Turners has been out of CCI Mini Mags and Velocitors for 2 months now, wtf?

chaseface
05-03-2012, 3:27 PM
Maybe it's time for you to look into reloading OP, then you wont give a crap on why Walmart and other places are running out because you can make your own.

Tell me about it. I'm in an apartment though and my spare bedroom (my man-cave) is already full to the brim with gun stuff, camping/backpacking, snowboarding gear, kayaking gear, etc. etc. etc

I think its just walmart and other big name stores who lack the stock. Almost everytime I ever go into wal mart all I ever see is empty shelves regarding ammo. My local gunstore however is always stocked I have yet to go into my local gunshop and leave empty handed lol. My theory is that since everyone and there mom shops at wal mart that they are always first to lose stock. To be perfectly honest they really arent all that cheap anyway since they only stock Winchester and Remington (for the most part) ive yet to see a wal mart stock PMC, Blazer or any other moderately priced ammo.

They normally sell Federal .45 for $17/50rds. It's not the best ammo but it burns really clean and cleaning my 1911 afterwards is a breeze.

Was that at the mountain view store OP? I went in last week, last weekend, and on Tuesday and no 9mm or .223 for me. I was going to go again to check for some
Today but not if it's
All gone already.

No it's North Bay - Rohnert Park and Windsor.

That's why people shoot the "snappy" .40 S&W. It is the last to run out.

Your right both stores had some .40 left

efmk4
05-03-2012, 3:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing. I went to american canyon, vacaville, and fairfield all they had was hunting ammo no hand gun ammo.

GunHo
05-03-2012, 3:55 PM
What sucks is that all Alameda county wallmarts cant sell ammo... that's why i buy in bulk online.

himurax13
05-03-2012, 4:07 PM
I bought it all and sent it downrange already ;).

TheFlash
05-03-2012, 4:07 PM
Not sure why you're going to a brick and mortar store for your ammo. There are MANY on-line ammo sellers that have excellent prices. Some even have free shipping... (Their net prices are actually lower than WalMart.)

toby77
05-03-2012, 4:10 PM
I was at Durate Walmart yesterday and last Friday, all 9mm, .40 and .45 were sold out too. Did see a few CCI Minimags, don't think it's politics either since I was still able to get anything I want at my local gunshop.

Sundowner
05-03-2012, 4:10 PM
That's a really nice looking set up, full-speed1!!!

schneiderguy
05-03-2012, 4:17 PM
Not sure why you're going to a brick and mortar store for your ammo. There are MANY on-line ammo sellers that have excellent prices. Some even have free shipping... (Their net prices are actually lower than WalMart.)

This, I don't understand why people still waste time and gas driving all over the place looking for ammo when it's cheaper and easier to buy on the Internet.

chaseface
05-03-2012, 4:28 PM
This, I don't understand why people still waste time and gas driving all over the place looking for ammo when it's cheaper and easier to buy on the Internet.

I would love to find a place where it is cheaper than $.34 a round (17/50rds) for .45 after shipping to my house, with under a thousand rounds because I don't have $340 to drop on one type of ammo right this second. If one of you guys can find it I will jump all over it. The cheapest I can find is .34 a round before shipping http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_ACP

Edited to add... and not WOLF or any suuuuper cheap crap like that. I refuse to shoot that nasty stuff outa my purty 1911

nitewing117
05-03-2012, 4:54 PM
There's a socal ammo group buy every now and then (seems like every 2 months). I get all of my ammo from there. There's one on the 12th, but I'll be picking up my order on the 18th. I can bring your order back if you're interested.

TheFlash
05-03-2012, 5:03 PM
nitewing,

That's about the cheapest you're going to find .45ACP.
I too have been looking for the cheapest prices for quality ammo and the prices you noted are about the lowest I was able to find.
If you go to some of the larger on-line retailers (e.g. MidwayUSA), the starting prices for some of their .45ACP is ~$21-$22/50rds.
So, ~$17/50rds is quite good.

The only other alternative is to reload yourself or purchase reloads from a reputable mfr/seller.

Regards,
Mike

iidx
05-03-2012, 5:13 PM
I would love to find a place where it is cheaper than $.34 a round (17/50rds) for .45 after shipping to my house, with under a thousand rounds because I don't have $340 to drop on one type of ammo right this second. If one of you guys can find it I will jump all over it. The cheapest I can find is .34 a round before shipping http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_ACP

Edited to add... and not WOLF or any suuuuper cheap crap like that. I refuse to shoot that nasty stuff outa my purty 1911

I like freedom munitions for 9mm and .223. If you want "new" brass:

http://www.freedommunitions.com/product-p/fm45f230n.htm

Otherwise reloads are a bit less:

http://www.freedommunitions.com/product-p/fm45f230r.htm

You don't have to buy 1k at a time, they sell smaller quantities for the same price.

I have purchased 5k 9mm from them over the past 2 months (have not shot it all yet) and have been happy. The price has gone up quite a bit recently, but oh well.

Wodsworthy
05-03-2012, 5:15 PM
Went to a bunch of walmarts last week. Everybody out of 9mm. Went in to Brea Walmart, saw 4 boxes. Only bought one. Hope somebody is happy with the ammo. I just get my 9mm online in huge bulk packs now :D

Ar_Glock_Man
05-03-2012, 5:37 PM
its all at my house:nono:

johnny1290
05-04-2012, 1:14 AM
a guy at work said he got winchester? at walmart for $15/100 rds. I didn't see it so I dunno if it happened but that's what he says.

I live in an apartment and I reload. I'm self taught and I take down the press when I'm done.

One way is to just get a board and mount the press to it, and c-clip it to the dining room table for quick removal.

To be honest, I had to reload around 5,000 rounds to break even with 9mm. Saving money with 9mm is tough though, If you're shooting .45 or something like that you'll save a ton of dough.

m98
05-04-2012, 1:23 AM
The ammo hording has already started. Better get into reloadin fast and get reloadin supplies bcuz thats whats next after the wallymart ammo shortage. I've got over 2k of 45acp/556 ready to be rolled up.

JMP
05-04-2012, 6:37 AM
Don't you guys know the people that work the ammo counter at walmart hide all the good stuff for their friends and/or preferred customers. There's a guy that works ammo at the walmart near my house. He hides the .223, 9mm, .45 and tries to extort energy drinks from customers to get it. I AM NOT KIDDING. He actually wants the customer to buy him a monster or rockstar if you want the ammo. Go there when a manager has the device to check inventory, and they'll be like WTF. Then, all these boxes are found hidden in all sorts of spots under the counters.

FourLoko
05-04-2012, 7:54 AM
We can't even buy ammo at Walmart down here as in they don't have it.

Handgun ammo is easier to find online, no reason to go to Walmart. Rifle ammo is another story.

hkdad
05-04-2012, 8:12 AM
I pay $8 or less for 100 rounds of .45!!! I cast my own bullet and reload all my ammo!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/bnitsche/6317ead8.jpg

JNunez23
05-04-2012, 8:23 AM
Man, you can't even find .22 ammo at any Turners in the Valley....it has begun!

luchador768
05-04-2012, 8:42 AM
I'm guessing a lot of the posters in this thread started shooting in the last year or two. In 2008-2010ish pretty much every shop was out, low or over priced. It was a dark time, and it's gonna be just as bad this second time around. Get ready for the $800 dollar Saigas and 5.56 at $1/round. Get set up with a reloader, I started about a month ago and just finished my first 1000 .223 rounds. It comes out to about $170/1000.

JMP
05-04-2012, 9:11 AM
WooHoo, we can do more BSing than shooting. We can go to the range with 10 rounds, shoot one time per hour, and occupy a bench for the entire day while telling the "back in the day I used to ammo dump with 50 caliber" stories.

gesundheit
05-04-2012, 9:19 AM
WooHoo, we can do more BSing than shooting. We can go to the range with 10 rounds, shoot one time per hour, and occupy a bench for the entire day while telling the "back in the day I used to ammo dump with 50 caliber" stories.

Which range is this so that I can avoid it :)

NiteQwill
05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Reload

A box of .45 ACP (50) costs me $7.50 according to my calculation last Sunday.

psango
05-04-2012, 12:25 PM
I'm expecting another delivery today:

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/psango/Ammo/IMG_0049.jpg

stock up, reload or both!

teflondog
05-04-2012, 2:00 PM
I'm guessing a lot of the posters in this thread started shooting in the last year or two. In 2008-2010ish pretty much every shop was out, low or over priced. It was a dark time, and it's gonna be just as bad this second time around. Get ready for the $800 dollar Saigas and 5.56 at $1/round. Get set up with a reloader, I started about a month ago and just finished my first 1000 .223 rounds. It comes out to about $170/1000.

I really hope it won't be as bad this time around. There was a lot of panic buying after the 2008 election. I remember when a box of WWB .45 was going for $60 at some gun stores. At the range, all the overpriced FMJs were sold out and people were desperate enough to buy the even more overpriced JHPs to use for target practice.

The only ammo I was able to find at Walmart was .40 s&w so I bought a couple thousand rounds of it even though I didn't have a gun chambered in that caliber. Later that day I bought a Sig P229 so I could shoot the ammo.

Once I got into reloading, I couldn't find primers anywhere. I went to gunbroker and bought a box of large pistol primers. I got a thousand primers for $60 and I remember thinking that it was a good deal during that time.

sigma6
05-04-2012, 8:44 PM
They had a full shelf last wed at the milpitas walmart of 9mm, at least 20 50 round boxes of federal. I picked up 4 just because.

Falstaff
05-05-2012, 9:50 AM

That is a squared away setup! I always admire people who are inherently neat and organized, is it possible to train yourself to be that way or is it hardwired? My reloading shed, garage shop and my office for that matter are a disorganized mess....

Socalman
05-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Seems' to be plenty around. Oh maybe not a huge supply of EVERY type but ammo is there. Some of the cheapest stuff is a bit scarce but you can find what you need. In Turners West Covina on Thursday and the only item they seemed to be low on was 7.62X39. My local Duarte gun shop, Gunrunners, seemed as well stocked as ever when I was in there on Friday.

Jimmy310
05-05-2012, 1:03 PM
i hate that the price of .223/5.56 keeps going up. This time last year i could buy 100rds of american eagle .223 @ ammobros for $33.

JazzFan
05-06-2012, 6:51 AM
Reload and you can do this in a weekend whenever you want. :D

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx96/wsrw14/2012-05-06071845.jpg

fullspeed1
05-06-2012, 7:12 AM
That is a squared away setup! I always admire people who are inherently neat and organized, is it possible to train yourself to be that way or is it hardwired? My reloading shed, garage shop and my office for that matter are a disorganized mess....

Fallstaff, I have issues....Just ask my wife:)

Darklyte27
05-06-2012, 7:21 AM

thats because he doesnt reload much... compared to some :D

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=252444