PDA

View Full Version : On List Lower Receiver - Advice Please?

mikestesting
05-03-2012, 1:48 PM
I know of a very real hypothetical situation that someone needs advice on. I was recommended to try this forum by the members at www.ar15armory.com.

I have heard of a friend of a friend tell a hypothetical story that he inherited his father's gun collection 12 years ago. In the collection was the lower receiver to an Olympic Arms AR-15 manufactured in 1985. The son that inherited was 19 years old at the time and ignorant on most gun laws. This son didn't think anything of the receiver at the time and just kept the lower in his gun safe for the last 12 years. Just recently he's had the urge to complete the gun into a working rifle. Through his research, he's discovered that this brand was specifically outlawed by CA. On top of this, he found out by posting pictures on a hypothetical forum that the lower receiver contains the complete set of full auto fire control parts, including duplicate spare parts.

Now he doesn't know what to do with it. He's heard several suggestions and doesn't know if any are entirely accurate. He doesn't want to contact the police for advice, being scared they might bring charges against him for just owning it or sucker him into handing over possession of the lower and not telling him of other options.

What can this person legally do with this lower receiver and the parts? Is it legal to sell to someone out of state where the lower would be legal? Can the full auto fire control parts be removed thus rendering the stripped lower receiver legal? Is destroying the fire control parts with an angle grinder a good choice? Does this person just have to surrender the receiver to law enforcement? Would this person be protected if he did surrender it?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

REH
05-03-2012, 1:51 PM
First of all he needs to destroy the full auto parts. This will keep the Feds off him.

frankm
05-03-2012, 1:54 PM
Legally he should find an attorney and find a way to dispose of it through him/her.

Some people, though not quite ethical, just make it disappear with a sledge hammer, grinder, etc. though this route is not recommended, and certainly is not the viewpoint of Calguns or myself.

m03
05-03-2012, 1:55 PM
Can the full auto fire control parts be removed thus rendering the stripped lower receiver legal?

If it has the auto-sear hole drilled, then no.

mikestesting
05-03-2012, 1:57 PM
If it has the auto-sear hole drilled, then no.

Where could this person find a picture to know if it has it?

stix213
05-03-2012, 2:03 PM
Attorney to arrange for surrender, or blow torch to make them disappear. I'd do one of those two.

Librarian
05-03-2012, 2:06 PM
In this hypothetical friend of a friend story, I'd advise the person to get a lawyer, and read the wiki article -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Possession_of_UNregistered_California_%22assault_w eapons%22

REH
05-03-2012, 2:06 PM
Where could this person find a picture to know if it has it?

There will be three pin holes in the side of the receiver, if it has an auto sear hole. It will be located over the selector switch.