PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento PD has my RIA 1911 (updated)

tonelar
05-03-2012, 12:56 PM
They were arresting some thugster and found my 45 on him.
Finally some good news.

Thanks to Sacramento Police Dept and SFPD for the phone call.

STROLLER
05-03-2012, 1:00 PM
Nice to hear our tax dollars do work sometimes. Hopefully it's not matched to some crime and you get it back soon.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

em9sredbeam
05-03-2012, 1:02 PM
That's good to hear. Hopefully you get it back soon!

JackRydden224
05-03-2012, 1:03 PM
I wonder what happens to the gun if he did use it but did not commit a crime. Does it go back to the owner or does it stay as evidence?

GunHo
05-03-2012, 1:16 PM
Good point. I doubt you'll get it back if it was. Im just glad they got the low life that stole it.

ojisan
05-03-2012, 2:06 PM
Good news!
Hope you get it back soon!

drunktank
05-03-2012, 2:15 PM
That is great news. Home fully that idiot or his buddies weren't able to commit any crimes with it. Hope you get it back in a decent amount of time.

alfred1222
05-03-2012, 2:15 PM
hopefully you get it back!!!

Press Check
05-03-2012, 2:18 PM
Just possession of a firearm alone will have that pistol booked as evidence for quite some time.

nocomply25
05-03-2012, 2:18 PM
That is like biter sweet...they found your gun but they might not give it back! hope it works out man

Arson
05-03-2012, 2:30 PM
If it was used in a crime, you can expect to get it back in a few years when the trial is over.

tonelar
05-03-2012, 3:46 PM
According to Sac PD; they'll contact me to come get it once they're done with the investigation.

I asked if they meant the trial etc, and the answer I got was that they'd not need it for that long.

Lead Waster
05-03-2012, 4:08 PM
That is like biter sweet...they found your gun but they might not give it back! hope it works out man

Some lowlife stole my motorcycle in SF, and San Leandro cops found the guy sitting on it with "cold plates" and thieving tools in it.

Now here's the kicker, the towing company told me they were going to charge me something like $100/day until I picked it. The guy on the phone had the AUDACITY to say to me "Look, if it's easier, you can just sign the pink slip over to us". REALLY? So who is the thief here?

Even after I got the bike back, I had no idea what damage the guy did to it.

But I digress. My point was that even if you get it back, it's never enough to make up for the original loss.

Ribkick
05-03-2012, 5:14 PM
I had a Winchester 94 returned to me by the Sheriff Dept. It went in like new and was returned a rust bucket. Thanks a lot.

Good luck. Hope it works out okay.

Sheperd80
05-03-2012, 5:33 PM
They were arresting some thugster and found my 45 on him.
Finally some good news.

Thanks to Sacramento Police Dept and SFPD for the phone call.

Congratulations! I know quite a few people who've had guns stolen and never saw them again.

c good
05-03-2012, 5:40 PM
Glad to hear you're getting it back eventually. How did it get stolen originally? How long ago? Just being nosey!:) c good

motorwerks
05-03-2012, 5:46 PM
I wonder what happens to the gun if he did use it but did not commit a crime. Does it go back to the owner or does it stay as evidence?

If it was used in a crime, you can expect to get it back in a few years when the trial is over.

And then only once he runs out of appeals.

Just possession of a firearm alone will have that pistol booked as evidence for quite some time.
If he only gets something like possession, it could be back in as little as 6 to 8 months. If he pops a felony for anything it could be as short as a year and then go on to never seeing it again.

InGrAM
05-03-2012, 5:46 PM
Wow, a thug with a 1911... That doesn't fit.

tonelar
05-03-2012, 5:49 PM
... My point was that even if you get it back, it's never enough to make up for the original loss.

Very true. I'd much rather be allowed to beat the %#ге out of the orig thief than get any of my guns back.

Congratulations! I know quite a few people who've had guns stolen and never saw them again.

Definitely. This isn't the first prized possesion I've been "relieved of". It's just the first time anything's turned up.

Glad to hear you're getting it back eventually. How did it get stolen originally? How long ago? Just being nosey!:) c good

Years ago. Taught me that I needed a third gun safe.

tacticalcity
05-03-2012, 5:53 PM
Some lowlife stole my motorcycle in SF, and San Leandro cops found the guy sitting on it with "cold plates" and thieving tools in it.

Now here's the kicker, the towing company told me they were going to charge me something like $100/day until I picked it. The guy on the phone had the AUDACITY to say to me "Look, if it's easier, you can just sign the pink slip over to us". REALLY? So who is the thief here?

Even after I got the bike back, I had no idea what damage the guy did to it.

But I digress. My point was that even if you get it back, it's never enough to make up for the original loss.

That is what small claims is for. Victim being victimized by contrator would not go over well with the judge.

tacticalcity
05-03-2012, 6:01 PM
Wow, a thug with a 1911... That doesn't fit.

1911 is statistically the #1 gun siezed off criminals. Probably because of how long it has been around and because of the size of the caliber being an ego boost. Glocks are one of the least likely to be found on criminals. Not sure why. Hollywood, Congress, and Rap musicians would suggest otherwise. You are infinately more likely to see a Glock in the hands of a cop than a criminal.

scglock
05-03-2012, 6:22 PM
Glad to hear you got it back and its off the streets

Dutch3
05-03-2012, 6:30 PM

I know a guy who had a gun stolen. It was recovered after being used in a crime, and he was not informed it had been recovered. To add insult to injury, he was later served with a warrant, the rest of his guns were seized and destroyed, and he was never charged with any crime.

To the OP: Best wishes and Good Luck.

mpwang
05-03-2012, 7:44 PM
1911 is statistically the #1 gun siezed off criminals. Probably because of how long it has been around and because of the size of the caliber being an ego boost. Glocks are one of the least likely to be found on criminals. Not sure why. Hollywood, Congress, and Rap musicians would suggest otherwise. You are infinately more likely to see a Glock in the hands of a cop than a criminal.

TacCity, where'd you hear this? This kinda blows all the stereotypes away. I'd be interested in figuring out.

InGrAM
05-03-2012, 8:08 PM

Link?

I find that very hard to believe.

Link that disputes what you stated: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,320383,00.html

No 1911's on that list.

tonelar
06-15-2012, 4:37 PM
I know a guy who had a gun stolen. It was recovered after being used in a crime, and he was not informed it had been recovered. To add insult to injury, he was later served with a warrant, the rest of his guns were seized and destroyed, and he was never charged with any crime.

Thank Dutch. That sounds like a helluvah story to me. Where did this occur?

MrExel17
06-15-2012, 5:13 PM
Nice, glad it was found and back to the right hands!

Fishslayer
06-15-2012, 5:25 PM

Badguy will probably be back on the street before the gun is... :(

tacticalcity
06-15-2012, 5:27 PM
Link?

I find that very hard to believe.

Link that disputes what you stated: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,320383,00.html

No 1911's on that list.

Cite my source? Glock: The Rise of America's Gun was the most recent place I read (actually heard would be more correct) this. Not the only one however. I know what you are thinking, but the book is far from a love fest. Scathingly criticizes Glock (the man and his company) at several points throughout the book - in some very shocking ways that made my jaw drop. Really interesting book if you haven't read it yet. Whether you like Glocks or not, it is a book any gun guy would enjoy.

Author says older guns like 1911s, and revolvers end up being the most common guns used by criminals and that Glocks rarely end up being involved in a crime. Summizes that the older guns have just been around longer, and passed around on the streets longer. Also says the large caliber of the 45ACP in the 1911 plays to the machismo mindset as well.

My version was an audio book, but I am sure the printed version has notations that cite it's source and the actual study. They usually do. Not something I can look up and copy and paste into a thread however because again, mine was an audio book version.

I can tell you first hand as a result of my experience with hispanic gangs in my youth (childhood friend was mixed up with them) they have no shortage of embelished 1911s. Lots of chrome, gold or fake gold parts, and engraving. Most the young bangers would be happy to get ahold of any gun they could, but a tricked out 1911 was a status symbol. Not only did it look cool in their eyes all tricked out but it fires a really large round. So you saw them more often than not. One of those sterotypes that rings true in real life.

tacticalcity
06-15-2012, 5:31 PM
OP, what is the status of this? Do you have your gun back yet?

Just-in
06-15-2012, 9:04 PM
That is what small claims is for. Victim being victimized by contrator would not go over well with the judge.

Towing companies are supposed to work for free, and provide safe storage also?
An amnesty is a fair option rather than the fees going to collections if you cannot pay for the towing and storage. Especially if the fees outweigh the value of the vehicle.

OP good luck getting your 1911 back Hopefully it isn't damaged.

paul0660
06-15-2012, 9:19 PM
I hope the bad guy sent it out for a trigger job, night sights, and custom grips.

Rorge Retson
06-15-2012, 9:20 PM

Did he ever REPORT the gun stolen? If not (and it sounds like he didn't), he should have easily foreseen the issue...

Just-in
06-15-2012, 9:31 PM
I hope the bad guy sent it out for a trigger job, night sights, and custom grips.

I just hope it doesn't have an idiot scratch.

hnoppenberger
06-15-2012, 9:35 PM
This country has been going down ever since the wild west. Don't get me wrong, big props to the police for catching the guy, and/but the punishment for stealing a mans firearm should be death. Then, the firearm should be returned to the owner, promptly, and politely. The police should thank US, for letting them collect the tax payers paycheck, and be thankful for their job to police our God given and sacred country.

Robidouxs
06-15-2012, 9:35 PM
When was this handgun stolen? How much time elapsed from when the gun was stolen and it was recovered?

tonelar
06-21-2012, 9:35 PM
OP, what is the status of this? Do you have your gun back yet?

Waiting on further word from Sacto PD. SFPD phoned me to make sure my info (on their report) is still current. The officer told me that I'd hear from Sac eventually.

When was this handgun stolen? How much time elapsed from when the gun was stolen and it was recovered?

Couple years.

Ron-Solo
06-21-2012, 9:48 PM
I had a Winchester 94 returned to me by the Sheriff Dept. It went in like new and was returned a rust bucket. Thanks a lot.

Good luck. Hope it works out okay.

It sounds to me like you blame the Sheriff's Department for the gun being rusty when you got it back. How do you figure that?

InGrAM
06-22-2012, 4:14 PM
Cite my source? Glock: The Rise of America's Gun was the most recent place I read (actually heard would be more correct) this. Not the only one however. I know what you are thinking, but the book is far from a love fest. Scathingly criticizes Glock (the man and his company) at several points throughout the book - in some very shocking ways that made my jaw drop. Really interesting book if you haven't read it yet. Whether you like Glocks or not, it is a book any gun guy would enjoy.

Author says older guns like 1911s, and revolvers end up being the most common guns used by criminals and that Glocks rarely end up being involved in a crime. Summizes that the older guns have just been around longer, and passed around on the streets longer. Also says the large caliber of the 45ACP in the 1911 plays to the machismo mindset as well.

My version was an audio book, but I am sure the printed version has notations that cite it's source and the actual study. They usually do. Not something I can look up and copy and paste into a thread however because again, mine was an audio book version.

I can tell you first hand as a result of my experience with hispanic gangs in my youth (childhood friend was mixed up with them) they have no shortage of embelished 1911s. Lots of chrome, gold or fake gold parts, and engraving. Most the young bangers would be happy to get ahold of any gun they could, but a tricked out 1911 was a status symbol. Not only did it look cool in their eyes all tricked out but it fires a really large round. So you saw them more often than not. One of those sterotypes that rings true in real life.

Well, I am still not buying your argument that 1911's are seized from criminals the most but everyone has their own statistics and opinions that they believe in. I will continue to believe that cheaper, more readily available guns will be stolen the most and used in crimes due to their availability; which is clearly shown in the link I posted earlier.

tacticalcity
06-22-2012, 4:50 PM
Well, I am still not buying your argument that 1911's are seized from criminals the most but everyone has their own statistics and opinions that they believe in. I will continue to believe that cheaper, more readily available guns will be stolen the most and used in crimes due to their availability; which is clearly shown in the link I posted earlier.

Book makes the same argument you make and includes those as well. It also includes some traditionally more expensive guns on that list like the 1911 because of how long the guns have been around and been so popular. Criminals get a lot of their guns by steeling them. They are criminals after all. Everything is affordable when apply the 5-finger discount.

In any case, the book's point and mine which you got side tracked from is that despite the reputation the Glock has a reputation as being a criminal's gun of choice and in reality it isn't. More often than not you'll see it in the hands of the cop or law abiding citizen. Yet people still think "criminal" when they think of a Glock and not "cop".

Rorge Retson
06-22-2012, 4:58 PM
Criminals get a lot of their guns by steeling them. They are criminals after all. Everything is affordable when apply the 5-finger discount.
I think you are missing the premise of, a more expensive gun means that fewer people can afford them, which leads to fewer being out there to steal...

tacticalcity
06-22-2012, 5:02 PM
Towing companies are supposed to work for free, and provide safe storage also?
An amnesty is a fair option rather than the fees going to collections if you cannot pay for the towing and storage. Especially if the fees outweigh the value of the vehicle.

OP good luck getting your 1911 back Hopefully it isn't damaged.

Their contract with the city should be structured in a way that people who break the law and have their vehicle towed (99.99999999999% of the time this is the case) pay enough to subsidize those extremely rare cases when it is a victim's vehicle.

I'm not a communist. I run my own business. I have contracts with several local and state governments. So I know the kinds of requirements those governments can write into their contracts with you. If you want to bid on those contracts and get those lucrative contracts, you have to accept those requirements as simply part of the cost of doing business. What I suggested would be mild compared to the hoops they make me jump through.

I also know that further victimizing victims is not acceptable. If something like that got out, you as a business owner would be screwed. There is a smarter and better way. If you are a towing company and want to keep your city contract, which is your life blood and overwhelming majority of your business...you don't pull crap like this. If you do, you eventually loose your contract. You keep your eye on the big picture otherwise your competition gets your contract and you go out of business. That is part of a free market economy too.

tonelar
07-19-2012, 5:46 PM
I don't know if it's still this way (following the towing a stolen car topic) but in SF if you didn't have theft insurance, the tow and storage would be waved.

Update: someone at Sacto PD's property & evidence division confirned that my 1911 will be shipped to SFPD at the conclusion of the bg's trial. So, I guess I'll hear from SFPD sometime.

Is there a way of finding out who this guy is? I'd be tempted to follow the court case. Apparently they've added "receiving stolen property" to his charges.

TurboChrisB
07-19-2012, 6:11 PM
Consider yourself LUCKY. I had about 10 firearms stolen from me about 10 years ago...I figured at least a couple would show up eventually.....so far...not a one.

At this point I've long lost any hope. If something makes it back to me someday...it'll be a bonus.

tonelar
07-19-2012, 8:56 PM
I hear you, Chris. Stolen guns very often leave the country or have their serial numbers ground off.

Now regarding the 1911 vs Glock commonality. The 1911 wasn't always $$$ compared to other firearms. Even in my lifetime, nice 1911s used to be pretty affordable. What cost money was having a Bob Chow 1911 (something highly tuned or customized) however, a vast majority of 1911s were not much more expensive than other automatics in the 70's and 80's.

Another point is the 1911 has been around for 70+ years longer than Glocks. How many stolen Glocks have there been since the 80's? I bet it's a lot lower number than how many 1911s have been stolen in the last century.

shawnnsac
07-20-2012, 3:21 PM
I had a gun stolen 20 yrs ago from my apt at the time. I reported the theft and after a year I got a call from sac pd they had the gun it was used in a crime and that I would get it back after the trial. After about a year I called the sac pd to find status of gun they could not locate it without the report number. I no longer had that info, never thought I would need it since they found me in the first place. She told me they couldnt locate it and to this day I never got it back. So keep all info they gave you and keep checking in with them. Good luck