PDA

View Full Version : High GunShow Prices

GunHo
05-03-2012, 12:42 PM
From what I remember last year, the first and last gunshow I went to in Vallejo left me disappointed with prices. Now I’m a notorious bargain hunter and I can tell you this much; gunshows are a scam. There was not one thing, and let me repeat, “one thing”, there that I could not get cheaper elsewhere. To top it off, they charge $10 admission and $5 parking. Along with about $10 for gas and $5 toll bridge just to get there; I feel swindled for $30.00 bucks.

h0use
05-03-2012, 12:49 PM
only bargin at the show is ammo if you buy in bulk.i go to the delmar show pool in with friends. maybe buy around 10k rounds of diffrent ammo.

JaeOne3345
05-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Gun shows are a joke. Now and then you see something decent..but typically? Buncha tacticool CRAP. Lots of garbage product.

Only time it is beneficial is to buy reloading supplies and avoid shipping/hazmat because that can easily exceed the entry/parking fee.

P.Charm
05-03-2012, 12:57 PM
I was holding out til the del mar show to buy my pistol, I might as well not wait anymore.

GunHo
05-03-2012, 1:00 PM
only bargin at the show is ammo if you buy in bulk.i go to the delmar show pool in with friends. maybe buy around 10k rounds of diffrent ammo.

Tru dat... I do recall seeing some decent ammo prices. But I can still beat it with some online prices.

PanaDP
05-03-2012, 1:02 PM
Don't bother with them in CA. None of the good big shows come here, anyway, because it's such a pain in the *** for them. Our stupid 10 day wait nullifies 90% of the point of a gun show anyway.

Sometimes I go to the Glendale gun show if I want an afternoon out, but I rarely buy anything. The NRA is usually soliciting memberships for free show admission. I just show them my membership card and give the NRA people a donation and they give me a free admission voucher. Better my money go to the NRA than to a bad gun show.

I love when I can go to the big crossroads show at my Dad's place in Salt Lake. That's a good gun show.

GunHo
05-03-2012, 1:11 PM
I also heard the Vegas gun show is worth goin to. But then again anything in Vegas is worth going to.

thai562
05-03-2012, 1:15 PM
Ditto. Went to my first guns show last year, it was my last. I was looking for some reloading supplies. There was no deal to be found.
There is no reason to go to a CA guns show anymore. Sad.

dctex99
05-03-2012, 1:23 PM
I find the best bargains at Pawn shops still if it is what you want!!! I saved about $500 on the last Revolver, but had to put $200 into it, but is like new now....sometimes the best way!!!!

FamilyofShooters
05-03-2012, 1:26 PM
I have a nice gun store close by here in La Mesa. I am a big believer in keeping my $$ local if at all possible. I would rather pay a few bucks more there and know if anything goes wrong I know where they are and that they'll make it right for me. Take the Del Mar Gun Show for instance. How many of the vendors there are local? Bet you could count them on one hand.

DVSmith
05-03-2012, 1:31 PM
I go to the OC gunshow on occasion, but I have the same problem. Overpriced junk in most cases. Good for finding little parts for older rifles, cleaning tools and cheap (and cheaply made) gun rugs. I bought a safe once. It was damaged, so they had it marked down. Seemed like a good deal and I didn't care about the scratches in the paint.

P.Charm
05-03-2012, 1:32 PM
I have a nice gun store close by here in La Mesa. I am a big believer in keeping my $$ local if at all possible. I would rather pay a few bucks more there and know if anything goes wrong I know where they are and that they'll make it right for me. Take the Del Mar Gun Show for instance. How many of the vendors there are local? Bet you could count them on one hand.what store is that? I might check them out tomorrow.

1911Luvr
05-03-2012, 1:36 PM
Gun shows are a joke. Now and then you see something decent..but typically? Buncha tacticool CRAP. Lots of garbage product.

Only time it is beneficial is to buy reloading supplies and avoid shipping/hazmat because that can easily exceed the entry/parking fee.

How can you say that? Gun shows are THE place for jerky, overpriced food, and replacement magazines that are more expensive than online! What part of that doesn't sound like a great time?

Javi
05-03-2012, 1:36 PM
I need to go to the Crossroads show to exchange some Miwall ammo that's overpressured. Aside from not having this upcoming weekend off, I really don't want to pay $15 just to exchange the ammo =/

compulsivegunbuyer
05-03-2012, 1:58 PM
Used to be able to find good deals and obsolete parts. Now it's $15 to get in so I can pay 30% over retail for everything. Lets not forget $50 in gas to get there and back. And every table has the same tactical crap. No great deals on ammo that can't be matched online or by Walmart. Walmart has free admission by the way. Most of the vendors require a long drive to pick up a gun 10 days later. I can get whatever at my local Turners for cheaper, and anything else I can order online for cheaper, even with shipping, and again, no admission fee. Of course there's the jerky and taser guns, but I can get those cheaper too. Lets not for get the gunshow vendor attitude. You get to pay more and get treated like ****. The California gunshow is dead as far as I'm concerned.

SteveG
05-03-2012, 2:47 PM
From what I remember last year, the first and last gunshow I went to in Vallejo left me disappointed with prices. Now I’m a notorious bargain hunter and I can tell you this much; gunshows are a scam. There was not one thing, and let me repeat, “one thing”, there that I could not get cheaper elsewhere. To top it off, they charge $10 admission and $5 parking. Along with about $10 for gas and $5 toll bridge just to get there; I feel swindled for $30.00 bucks.

Agreed! I went to my first gun show a couple months ago. I was highly unimpressed and don't need to go to another.

JaeOne3345
05-03-2012, 2:47 PM
How can you say that? Gun shows are THE place for jerky, overpriced food, and replacement magazines that are more expensive than online! What part of that doesn't sound like a great time?

LMAO and all kinda of garbage trinkets, ****ty blades/knives, fake tactical gear, etc. lol.

CSACANNONEER
05-03-2012, 2:55 PM

"Hunter" should be the key word here. I've scored super deals at gunshows but, I've also come home empty handed. Humm, sounds sort of like hunting game doesn't it. Sure, the premises charges for parking, the promoter charges for his investment in renting the hall and advertising, the vendors pay to rent tables, bridge toll can be waved by driving around the bay, gas can be waved by riding a bicycle but, all in all, where are you going to have a day's worth of entertainment for a total of $30 including travel to and from? Sounds like a bargin to me. If you happen to score 6000 50 year old primers for $50, like I did when primers were selling for $60/1000, you're going to be ahead. Or, if you find a 1/4" SNAP-ON ratchet for $3 in someone's junk box, you can be just like me. Hell, I've got a ton of stories about good deals at gun shows but, I like hunting for bargins as much as I like hunting for game.

ns3v3n
05-03-2012, 2:56 PM
Alot of knock off crap, I remember when I was at the cow palace show, I saw a POSP 4x scope, I thought oh cool, picked it up, turned it over and it said made in China. LOL put it back down and be on my merry way to the beef jerky stand.

drifter2be
05-03-2012, 3:00 PM
Its all overpriced garbage for the most part. I still like to go to one every few months because I like getting to look at a lot of stuff, it gives me a chance to handle the stuff I plan on going home and ordering at a better price, but I have the chance to physically handle it and make sure I like it first. Ammo prices are "alright" and its a good chance to load up on some of the small cleaning supplies I need to replace, but the biggest reason I like to go is it gets me out of the house for a few hours.

sn8kedoc
05-03-2012, 4:09 PM
Lets see went to the last gun show in ontario and what did i buy, about 2k 9mm rounds(buddy gets them cheaper for me now 160 per 1k), a cell phone holster for my iphone, 3 30 round rebuild kit pmags about 20 bucks per. Oh my buddy got some deer jerky (had better) a lighter in the shape of a .50cal bmg round, a key chain, a laser pointer, a belt buckle and a drop leg platform that is garbage. So overall cal gun shows for the most part are pretty much dead. I can pretty much find the same crap at a swapmeet minus the pmags. Though the cell phone holster i still use.

SURVIVOR619
05-03-2012, 4:15 PM
I have a nice gun store close by here in La Mesa. I am a big believer in keeping my $$ local if at all possible. I would rather pay a few bucks more there and know if anything goes wrong I know where they are and that they'll make it right for me. Take the Del Mar Gun Show for instance. How many of the vendors there are local? Bet you could count them on one hand.

what store is that? I might check them out tomorrow.

Plus 1... What store is this? I'd like to keep it local too, but am not about to get ripped off.

Mr_Monkeywrench
05-03-2012, 4:26 PM
The only thing I got at a gun show that was worth going for was a SWEEEEET deal on an ANZA knife. Other than that, They are a no go for me.

norcal.xd
05-03-2012, 4:34 PM
i like Reno gun shows...

GunHo
05-03-2012, 4:45 PM
Ok I admit, I bought my AR15 upper from a vendor I meet at a gunshow. After a long wait, i got a complete JD upper for $430 otd. So its not a complete waste. There a few good things to gain. And someone else pointed out, you get to actually hold the item before buying online.

DTOM CA!
05-03-2012, 5:31 PM
It is way easier to search calguns for free than waste time and money at a gun show. Have not been to one in years.

Bull Elk
05-04-2012, 3:12 PM
I go to the Vallejo, Roseville and Cal Expo gun shows fairly regularly. I agree, many guns and other items are over priced, but..........if you know what you're looking for you can really find some deals, but you've got to look hard to find them. Also, sometimes you stumble accidently onto something that that you might not find elsewhere.

As a veteran of many gun shows, there are several important things to remember to getting good deals:

1. If you want ammo, show up early. Get in and get out before they run out of what you want or the crowds get too large.

2. Ask lots of questions. If someone doesn't have what you're looking for, most dealers know who does. Remember, most dealers work the same curcuit and know who has what.

3. Don't be afraid to bargin. If the dealer wants $500 for a rifle, offer him less, but be polite, reasonable and fair when doing so. If you're a jerk, they will be 10x more.

4. Everything is negotiable. Show an interest, ask questions and tell the dealer you have cash. One thing I've learned is to come back the second day of a two-day gun show about 2-3 hours before closing. By that time the dealer is already calculating in his head what the show cost him and how much he's made. Maybe the gun you wanted has been already been sold, and maybe it hasn't. The best deals usually happen the last half of the second day of a two day show. Maybe the dealer has had a slow show and hasn't sold anything. If so, he might be inclined to sell something for less to help pay for his table fees, gas and time.

Remember, most dealers have quite a bit of overhead when at a show. Many travel hundreds of miles round trip, have hotel costs, food costs and an investment of time to load, display and reload their merchandise for each show. Tables are usually $75 each or more and most dealers have 2-4 tables each. Many dealers I have a relationship with tell me that they usually are $400-$500 in the hole before they sell one single item. Not to mention some bring staff to help out. Depending upon the firearms sold, many dealers need to sell 4-5 firearms to break even.

Yes, many gun dealers are trying to sell their firearms for new sale prices for used weapons. If so, don't buy. However, don't forget that more often than not the problem isn't the dealer, it's the buyer. Many see a hunting rifle for $600 and and offer the dealer $300 for it. That only pisses off the dealer. Be reasonable and fair and many dealers will be reasonable and fair. Mayb offer him 20% less and be prepared to bargin towards the middle.

The bottom line is this......I was told by a reliable source that the Vallejo gun show usually gets around 1,000-1,500 people attending over two days. If they weren't getting good deals they wouldn't come back. You've got to know what you want, what is a fair price and be a good negotiator.

Good luck

sapro
05-05-2012, 1:03 PM
ammo and mags and range bags are what guns shows are for me.

Socalman
05-05-2012, 1:29 PM
I don't bother anymore. I actually considered going out to Ontario first thing this morning to see if I could get any bargains on ammo, then decided that with parking and admission prices I can do better online even with the shipping costs. So I spent some time online and built up my stock.

Dreaded Claymore
05-05-2012, 3:25 PM
Bull Elk's advice sounds excellent. I generally wrote off gun shows as wastes of money, before I read what he wrote.

That said, this thread definitely needs this thing posted on Everyday, No Days Off (http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/13/whats-up-with-gun-shows/):

Have any of you guys knowest that at alot of guns shows they be selling alot of junk? I thought that gun shows suppose to have good prices on guns but they sell them at regular prices, and there ammo are the same too. You dont get no deals at gun shows, What up with the junk, books, old thing, all kinds of junk, what up with that?

The mocking response:
Many seasons ago, some companions accompanied me to a fire arms exhibition. Despite my reputation of being niggardly with my gold, I stowed a few coins in my purse; lest I be presented an opportunity to covet a rare item at a favorable price. Shortly after our arrival, we felt betrayed by the local yeller, whom had foretold of this weaponry festival that was rumored to attract both merchants and interested parties from far corners of the land. To our astonished disappointment, we felt that we had instead stumbled into a bazaar that was fit only for common fools and beggars, put on by filthy vagrants and layabouts. I too, knowest of what thy speak.

InGrAM
05-05-2012, 3:43 PM
Gun shows are for free states. "Cash and carry" ;)