PDA

View Full Version : So I went to the range last night...

J.D.Allen
05-03-2012, 10:43 AM
I've always considered myself to be a "combat accurate" shooter. Not uber accurate by any means but certainly able to get good center mass hits most of the time.

Recently a buddy of mine turned me on to shooting some competitions (informal ones, kind of a cross between IPSC and USPSA) and I figured it would be good to get used to shooting on the move and engaging multiple targets etc. Lets just say I was less than impressed with my results.

My buddy is an amazing shooter, so I invited him to the range with me so he could give me some pointers. He told me to change to a thumbs forward grip, and to change the part of my finger that contacted the trigger. He also told me to make sure my trigger finger wasn't resting on the frame.

The improvement was almost instant and I couldn't believe how much better of a shooter I was after making such subtle changes. My grip is now much more firm and stable, and I feel much more sure of my shots.

I though it would be difficult to switch to a new grip after so many years of doing it the same way but it was really easy and I'm going to use it from now on.

So practice practice practice guys (and gals) and don't be afraid to ask for a little help.

libertyordeath
05-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah I have seen lots of people with the forward thumbs and next time out I'm going to give a shot and hope I get some good results.

Moto4Fun
05-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Where have your thumbs been pointing?

modls7
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Its amazing what can happen when you keep an open mind.

Competition is an excellent way to gauge yourself and your gear against real people outside of the internet and indoor firing lanes.

J.D.Allen
05-03-2012, 11:00 AM

I had always crossed them. It's not a bad grip, but after trying it thumbs forward FOR ME, it works a lot better.

J.D.Allen
05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Yeah I have seen lots of people with the forward thumbs and next time out I'm going to give a shot and hope I get some good results.

I would recommend having someone who uses it show you the details of it. You have to do it right

nocomply25
05-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Ya I made the same change to a thumbs forward grip making sure my left palm covered the empty space on the grips...and man it made a huge difference.

J.D.Allen
05-03-2012, 1:49 PM
Ya I made the same change to a thumbs forward grip making sure my left palm covered the empty space on the grips...and man it made a huge difference.

Exactly. So that the palms cover both grips entirely. It's a great grip.

He also let me shoot a Glock of his that he reworked the trigger on and installed a lighter recoil spring. I am not a Glock fan but that thing was amazing. Shows what a little work can do.

shayski
05-03-2012, 2:18 PM
i agree that those little tips are huge helps. i shoot uspsa and my first time was very bad i changed my my grip and improved a ton. it was night and day. my father in law is a retired cop and he has been giving me draw pointers then next time out i was shaving 5 seconds off my stage time.

1911Luvr
05-03-2012, 4:20 PM

If you watch top semi-auto competitive shooters you will notice they all use the thumbs forward grip. For me, it improves natural aim and control. I highly recommend it to anyone I shoot with.

Lead Waster
05-03-2012, 4:26 PM
I always feel obligated to post this every once in a while. I keep re-watching it. Todd Jarret explaining his grip and some other tips. Though when explaining where he puts his finger on the trigger he messes up his words a bit.

ysa50-plo48

Nightron
05-03-2012, 5:59 PM
title: "So I went to the range last night..."

He told me to change to a thumbs forward grip, and to change the part of my finger that contacted the trigger. He also told me to make sure my trigger finger wasn't resting on the frame.

The improvement was almost instant and I couldn't believe how much better of a shooter I was after making such subtle changes.

so why not just say it in the thread title I wonder???? Just sayin. Something like: "Buddy helped me change my grip technique, improve my shooting". Sounds a bit like golfing basics.

calif 15-22
05-03-2012, 8:13 PM
so why not just say it in the thread title I wonder???? Just sayin. Something like: "Buddy helped me change my grip technique, improve my shooting". Sounds a bit like golfing basics.

Dude . . . Really??

I always feel obligated to post this every once in a while. I keep re-watching it. Todd Jarret explaining his grip and some other tips. Though when explaining where he puts his finger on the trigger he messes up his words a bit.

ysa50-plo48

Great video post thanks. I've been playing with different grips and the video showed I clearly have my trigger finger to far into the trigger guard.

Nor Cal Scot
05-03-2012, 8:17 PM
so why not just say it in the thread title I wonder???? Just sayin. Something like: "Buddy helped me change my grip technique, improve my shooting". Sounds a bit like golfing basics.Dude...

Soul_Cal
05-03-2012, 8:59 PM
He also told me to make sure my trigger finger wasn't resting on the frame.

I'll have to try that next time at the range.

DrMoebius
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Here's another video that may help:

NVhTA-n0ivE

jmpgnr24k
05-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Todd Jarret is the s**t

calif 15-22
05-04-2012, 8:04 AM

NVhTA-n0ivE

Another great link . . . thanks!

FourLoko
05-04-2012, 8:52 AM
I've got thumbs forward down but think I still have a problem with my support hand. Always shoot a bit low left.

I love going to the range. The variety of terrible grips out there is comical.

Sac-AR15
05-04-2012, 9:31 PM

NVhTA-n0ivE

Good video. I started using the forward thumb grip and it definitely helped me out. I also went to the Frontsight 2 day class and they recommend thumbs up. On my 1911 they had me ride the safety and my other thumb up next to it. Went back thumb forward after the class. More comfortable for me and I shoot better that way.

locosway
05-04-2012, 9:47 PM

I had always crossed them. It's not a bad grip, but after trying it thumbs forward FOR ME, it works a lot better.

This is popular with target shooters, and even the NRA teaches pistol shooting this way. Personally I always teach a thumbs forward grip, but there are people who teach the thumbs crossed, etc.

Revolvers are a bit different though... ;)

Doctor Suarez
05-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I was using a thumbs-forward grip on my 1911 (which lends itself to it naturally) but not on my other pistols. After watching the Magpul Dynamic Handgun DVD, I went with thumbs-forward on all my pistols, and I've been very pleased with the results! The only beef is that, with my thumbs forward on my GLOCK and XD, I sometimes depress the slide stop on the last round and cause it to close. Still, the accuracy is much-improved, and I'm starting to figure out how to avoid that.

cdnpuck
05-05-2012, 6:43 PM
OMFG! I am going to the range tomorrow and make a bunch of changes to my grip. Thanks to the posters!

HKchucksta
05-05-2012, 7:21 PM
I've got thumbs forward down but think I still have a problem with my support hand. Always shoot a bit low left.

I love going to the range. The variety of terrible grips out there is comical.

Me too, I'm a new shooter and I've only shot ~300 rounds through my sp2022. My friend has been good to keep my grip in check and mix in a snap cap or two in my mags to check for flinch/recoil anticipation.

My most recent trip to the range I shot 10 mags of consistent left or low left and I haven't been able to fully diagnose why:
http://i.imgur.com/Kbp61.jpg
The middle grouping was from the first time I went to the range a few weeks ago.

Ponderosa2
05-05-2012, 8:45 PM

My thoughts exactly. I don't know where else I'd put my thumbs. I thought that thumbs forward was pretty much "THE" accepted way to hold a pistol.

giantsfan
05-06-2012, 6:19 AM

ysa50-plo48

Awesome video...thanks very much for posting it.

SnWnMe
05-06-2012, 7:37 AM
Thumbs forward and high, resting on the 1911 safety. I own no other autos so it works for me.

Heck I even grip revolvers the same way.

FisterD
05-06-2012, 9:16 AM
Great videos! Thanks for posting 'em up.

Harry McRainbow
05-06-2012, 9:48 AM
Thanks for those links! I'm fairly new to the handguns and these tips help my accuracy with both my P220 and my practice/plinker ISSC M22.

MAC USMC
05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Since the military and most police agencies no longer use revolvers the thumbs forward grip is popular. One size does NOT fit everyone nor does ONE GRIP style.The size of a shooter's hands plays into the grip preferance as well as any prior injuries to the hands.

One caution is important. DO NOT use the thumbs forward grip when shooting heavy caliber REVOLVERS. I witnessed a shooter with a .44 magnum remove most of the first joint on his left thumb shooting in this fashion. The guy was a mechanic and this injury cost him dearly.

I am old school and want to use the same grip on every revolver and pistol I own so I stick to the thumb over thumb grip. With arthritis issues this grip provides more secure and firmer grip on my weapons. I firmly believe PRACTICE is the answer to improved shooting regardless of the grip used.

taloft
05-06-2012, 11:35 AM
He also told me to make sure my trigger finger wasn't resting on the frame.Where is your trigger finger when it isn't on the trigger?