PDA

View Full Version : Magpul P-Mags and Impact/Dust Cover?

artoaster
05-03-2012, 8:52 AM
Nice little accessory but is it necessary?

I mean if after you did a hundred intensive carbine classes would you find them ever useful.

Munny$hot
05-03-2012, 9:09 AM
Theyre good for loaded long term storage since it keeps the dirt out also the cover pushes the first round down and keeps the pressure off of the feed lips.

G60
05-03-2012, 9:28 AM
It's not needed.

Well, perhaps to keep debris out, but the guys at magpul have some pmags that they've left loaded without the dust covers since pmags first came out and the feed lips are fine.

artoaster
05-03-2012, 9:55 AM
I think the guys at Magpul are brilliant.

When they designed the P-Mag and then decided to design another separate plastic piece that would clip over the top and appear as if it had a purpose and then put notches on the bottom of the mag where the little piece could be kept they created a need for the piece.

Did the USGI mags ever have such a piece? No.

Can you get by without the little piece on your P-Mags? Sure.

What Magpul now has created is a segment of the market who believes the P-Mag has a new beneficial feature that sets the P-Mag apart from other competitors while actually the benefit is almost insignificant.

I'd say it's almost like keeping the plastic bag the product came in to protect your mags when their in your pocket or range bag.

tonyxcom
05-03-2012, 10:05 AM
It's not uncommon for USGI magazines to get damaged feed lips.

G60
05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I think the guys at Magpul are brilliant.

When they designed the P-Mag and then decided to design another separate plastic piece that would clip over the top and appear as if it had a purpose and then put notches on the bottom of the mag where the little piece could be kept they created a need for the piece.

Incorrect. When they designed the pmag, even magpul wasn't sure how the polymer feedlips would hold up over long term loaded storage, but they knew it was one of the first things to fail on previous polymer magazine designs, so they created a solution.

Now imagine the cries of the errornet if they were to stop supplying the covers, even though they aren't needed. "waah my feedlips are going to crack, waaah magpuls been going the wrong direction since chris and travis left, waaah"

email
05-03-2012, 10:32 AM
It makes them more secure for storage. In an operational environment, I'd leave the covers at home.

artoaster
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Incorrect. When they designed the pmag, even magpul wasn't sure how the polymer feedlips would hold up over long term loaded storage, but they knew it was one of the first things to fail on previous polymer magazine designs, so they created a solution.

Now imagine the cries of the errornet if they were to stop supplying the covers, even though they aren't needed. "waah my feedlips are going to crack, waaah magpuls been going the wrong direction since chris and travis left, waaah"

So the clips are designed to take tension off the feedlips during long term loaded storage by pushing down slightly onto cartridges?

And, now due to experience with the product and the polymer composite the fear of feedlip failure is non-existent?

G60
05-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Yes, that is the concept behind the covers. There are a couple threads, either on LF or M4carbine where someone from magpul discusses the covers.

The feedlips are still a failure point, but after many uses (cycling of rounds) of the magazines. The feelips on GI mags bend when they fail, Pmag feedlips crack. Many prefer the pmags because you can tell immediately if it's the magazines causing failures.

Remember, even with all the welcome improvements in magazines over the last few years, they are still the weak link in the AR system, and a wear item one shouldn't become attached to. Once they start to fail, either throw them in the trash, or use them only as training mags.

stix213
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Anyone else have the covers pop off of loaded mags like mine? I don't use them anymore because 1/3 of my mags when loaded the covers will pop off with the slightest impact.

05-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Nice little accessory but is it necessary?

Do you store loaded mags for an extended period of time? If not, they're not necessary.

I mean if after you did a hundred intensive carbine classes would you find them ever useful.

Do your intensive carbine classes necessitate you keeping mags loaded for extended periods of time? If not, they're not necessary.

wsmc27
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
It makes them more secure for storage. In an operational environment, I'd leave the covers at home.

:iagree:

We only use the things, >occasionally<, between classes.

05-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Anyone else have the covers pop off of loaded mags like mine?

I haven't.

I don't use them anymore because 1/3 of my mags when loaded the covers will pop off with the slightest impact.

They're designed for storage, not carry, so "impact" shouldn't be a problem.

Arnelcheeze
05-03-2012, 3:15 PM
Anyone else have the covers pop off of loaded mags like mine? I don't use them anymore because 1/3 of my mags when loaded the covers will pop off with the slightest impact.
+2 on that.

AlliedArmory
05-03-2012, 3:17 PM
the are meant for when you store your mags loaded. They keep pressure off the feed lips which are made of plastic from bending/breaking.

AlliedArmory
05-03-2012, 3:17 PM
the are meant for when you store your mags loaded. They keep pressure off the feed lips which are made of plastic from bending/breaking.

ExtremeX
05-03-2012, 3:20 PM
On the 10/20 Pmags with 10 rounds inside, I cant even get the cover to fit...

I do use the covers for long term storage, but I am forced to put 9 rounds in each mag to use the covers.

artoaster
05-03-2012, 5:09 PM
They look kinda stupid parked on the bottom of mags and probably break easily when dropped.

TreeHugger
05-03-2012, 5:40 PM

LOL...

Here is Magpul's I guess generic reply to the question that I received a while back

Regarding the question of how long, we´ve had magazines fully loaded for over four years now with no Impact/Dust Cover on and have experienced no feed lip or spring issues. With the cover installed storage life is considered indefinite. There have also been PMAGS reportedly tested to hundreds-of-thousands of rounds (military vetting), and we know positively of ones that have gone tens-of-thousands, so usable life is quite excellent too.

jsragman
05-03-2012, 8:10 PM
Interesting discussion. I'd like to point out that the feed lips on an AK47 mag don't fail for any reason. I'm talking about the steel ones, those that you can run over with a truck and not damage them.

roushstage2
05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Mine do on the two blocked mags I got from National Gun Supply. The ones I've blocked myself since then (those were my first two mags for my AR), no.

tonyxcom
05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Some of the better mag blocks or blocked pmags have half a round of extra travel to allow them to be loaded on a closed bolt... You shouldn't have problems with the covers popping off on these should you choose to use them.

The Virus
05-04-2012, 5:42 AM
So the clips are designed to take tension off the feedlips during long term loaded storage by pushing down slightly onto cartridges?

And, now due to experience with the product and the polymer composite the fear of feedlip failure is non-existent?

yes

Dhena81
05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Interesting discussion. I'd like to point out that the feed lips on an AK47 mag don't fail for any reason. I'm talking about the steel ones, those that you can run over with a truck and not damage them.

Not true my friend I have steel AK47 mags that any follower can't move past the half way mark.

Steel bends polymer bounces back polymer mags are here to stay USGI mags used to be a one use throw away item. Magpuls Pmags have tons of R&D in the make up of their polymer compound. They had some teething issues when in the cold for example. Personally they are the only polymer AR mags I'll use. Even in my AK's I try and get polymer even though those rebuilds are twice the cost as their steel counterparts.