View Full Version : Hi-cap mag permit question...

LAK Supply
04-30-2007, 9:48 PM
Can anyone here tell me whether they know of any non-FFL's that have obtained a hi-cap mag permit......? Or personal experience getting one or being denied one......?

I have no desire to get an FFL in CA, but I do have a very legitimate reason to have a mag permit (business.....no one wants to buy CA mags anywhere else).

One of my suppliers was telling me the other day that they have customers that have the permits without an FFL, and that it's fairly simple is you have a good reason pertaining to business; but I'd like some more concrete knowledge.

If you don't want to post anything in public but can help me out, please PM me.


04-30-2007, 10:07 PM
From the DOJ website, it doesn't look like anyone but an FFL can.

A DOJ-issued permit is required to import or export ammunition feeding devices that have the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds. Permits are issued, upon request, to licensed firearms dealers whose businesses have a bona fide marketplace for the sale, import, or export of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. To obtain an Application for Large Capacity Magazine Permit (Form FD 050), call the Firearms Licensing and Permits Unit at (916) 227-3694.

(PC section 12079)

LAK Supply
04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah.... I've seen that before. That's why I was a bit surprised when the rep from this supplier told me this. They're a big firearms parts/accessories supplier here in California, and the rep has always given me very good information. Figured I'd post here and see if the info may be right before I completely disregard it........

05-01-2007, 6:02 AM
You might want to read the penal code about high caps and see if it specifically says only to FFLs, otherwise, what the DOJ website says may not be accurate. You can always call them too. I think it makes sense that big time suppliers who are not FFLs might have a need and might actually get a high cap permit. Don't give up yet.

05-01-2007, 7:26 AM
The DOJ can issue them to whomever they want, which is generally nobody but a FFL. It is discretionary unless you are an FFL.