PDA

View Full Version : SA 1911's- Huge Wait

jrw1911
05-02-2012, 3:55 PM
I was in Turner's Torrance this morning getting some 45 sale ammo. BTW I have dealt with these guys for some time now and they have always been knowledgeable and helpful. There are times when 20 guys are waiting for help but the Turner guys always seem patient even with the knuckleheads. Anyway, it was unusually quiet this morning so I had a chance to talk with a couple of the gun guys. I asked about ordering a SA Loaded Champion and was told it could take 6months to a year to get it in.
In fact they had no SA 1911's in the case and they said that they never get more than a few at a time. They showed me the Kimber Pro Carry as an alternative and it was even a little cheaper. The Kimbers could be ordered and shipped much faster. Not sure what to do. Had my heart set on a SA but who wants to wait maybe a year. Not me. Any suggestions re going with the Kimber?

LovingTheYear1911
05-02-2012, 4:21 PM
I know people won't like this comment but search the forums and SA are the ones with the most problems. I've never been a SA fan and I would rather buy a 1911 made in the USA instead of Brazil. There is a reason why SA has a lifetime warranty. Go Kimber and you won't be disappointed.

LovingTheYear1911
05-02-2012, 4:22 PM
By the way the shop by my house always have SA in stock and they've been there for a long time. However they sell out of Kimbers.

DVSmith
05-02-2012, 4:24 PM
I have several SA's and several Kimbers. I am happy with all of them.

You will hear from people that have had issues with one or both of them, but then again, I am not aware of any firearm manufacturer that I haven't heard someone complain about; even Colt! LOL I know, blasphemy...

jrw1911
05-02-2012, 4:24 PM
Thanks for the input.

corcoraj2002
05-02-2012, 4:27 PM
I know people won't like this comment but search the forums and SA are the ones with the most problems. I've never been a SA fan and I would rather buy a 1911 made in the USA instead of Brazil. There is a reason why SA has a lifetime warranty. Go Kimber and you won't be disappointed.

Yawn, the Brazil thing again? its getting old, I have a USA built SA 1911 loaded. Excellent weapon. There have been issues with rust on the barrels of Kimbers.

I went with Springfield because of the lifetime warranty, can beat it. I have never had to use it on my XD or 1911, but its good to have the peace of mind that it is there if needed.

Cyc Wid It
05-02-2012, 4:31 PM
Yawn MIMber. Yawn Springfield who doesn't ship off-roster to CA anymore.

InGrAM
05-02-2012, 5:09 PM
Yawn MIMber. Yawn Springfield who doesn't ship off-roster to CA anymore.

SA doesn't ship off-roster handguns to CA anymore? Even for roster exempt?

Brandon04GT
05-02-2012, 5:13 PM
Same here....I am getting sick and tired of waiting on SA 1911's so I am considering alternatives.

cwin
05-02-2012, 5:14 PM
Yeah the wait is insane but worth it. Today I bought a Leo trade in MC Operator for $1050. Only 50 rounds fired. Been searching for one ever since I stupidly sold my original MC.

Don't worry about the made in brazil thing. Imbel puts out quality guns and Brazilian steel is top notch.

hyperion.excal
05-02-2012, 5:17 PM
SA doesn't ship off-roster handguns to CA anymore? Even for roster exempt?

They still ship off roster but they require proof that its going to an LEO roster exempt.

InGrAM
05-02-2012, 5:18 PM
They still ship off roster but they require proof that its going to an LEO roster exempt.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Brandon04GT
05-02-2012, 5:24 PM
Yeah the wait is insane but worth it. Today I bought a Leo trade in MC Operator for $1050. Only 50 rounds fired. Been searching for one ever since I stupidly sold my original MC.

Don't worry about the made in brazil thing. Imbel puts out quality guns and Brazilian steel is top notch.

Cool...where'd you find it? I was one minute too late to the one that was just for sale for $950 in the marketplace :( I think you posted in that thread too.

BlackDrop50
05-02-2012, 5:35 PM
Any reason not to go with Kimber?

Mine is at around 7000 rounds. Runs like a champ and still easily shoots one hole groups.

jrw1911
05-02-2012, 5:36 PM
Looks like its going to be a Kimber. Doing the research now as to which one.

justjeff
05-02-2012, 5:43 PM
I have been waiting since January for my MC Operator. I have came so close to cancelling! I called them last week and they told me hopefully shipping next month. So I hope sometime this month I have my 1st 1911.

Cyc Wid It
05-02-2012, 6:20 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Which is pretty silly. And I haven't seen a Kimber after series I that was worth the money.

cwin
05-02-2012, 6:22 PM
Cool...where'd you find it? I was one minute too late to the one that was just for sale for $950 in the marketplace :( I think you posted in that thread too.

I found it on gunbroker listed by a store nearby. I just called them in the morning and told them I would take it. Totally lucked out. I missed 3 MCs on calguns this month.

FatCity67
05-02-2012, 6:47 PM
By the way the shop by my house always have SA in stock and they've been there for a long time. However they sell out of Kimbers.

Really? Where is the shop? :rolleyes:

skosh69
05-02-2012, 7:51 PM

I like it and it's exactly my same reasoning whenever the whole Kimber vs S/A arguement comes up!

LovingTheYear1911
05-02-2012, 8:42 PM
Really? Where is the shop? :rolleyes:

A shop in Turlock. I've seen the same two SA for months now. However, the Kimbers go like a birthday cake at a fat kids birthday!

skyscraper
05-02-2012, 8:46 PM
Kimbers are everywhere, springfields not at all. There is a reason for this.

IMbel Brazil>>>>>>>> yonkers, ny

cwin
05-02-2012, 9:24 PM
Kimbers are everywhere, springfields not at all. There is a reason for this.

IMbel Brazil>>>>>>>> yonkers, ny

probably because Springfields sell as soon as they come in :hide:

Press Check
05-02-2012, 9:44 PM
probably because Springfields sell as soon as they come in :hide:

Actually, they do. :)

whipkiller
05-02-2012, 10:41 PM

I liked it fine... got a good laugh out of it.

trashman
05-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Springfield manufacturers their models in 'batches' IIRC - so you won't see Longslides, or Champions, or Ultra Compacts for a months and then boom! every shop has a couple.

My sense is (and I don't mean this in a disparaging way) that the Turner's guys are probably a Kimber 'Master Dealer' and from what I understand there are some serious sales quotas to meet in order to keep the Master Dealer pricing.

I don't think Springfield (because of their volume) has a similar program, but I could be wrong.

I own, shoot, and have owned a number of Springfield 1911's; haven't owned any Kimbers yet (only because the 10mm Eclipses are hard to come by). Both manufacturers make use of MIM parts.

--Neill

m98
05-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Just wait for the sa mc op. Keep searchin and one will come up somewhere. It took me 4months to find mines. Springer warranty cant be beat. Look around and you'll see that kimmys warranty isnt so great. Get springer first, then if u must, go ahead and try kimmy. Imo, kimmy's ranks lower than springers, thats why springer 1911's/xdm's are more scarce becuz it sells like 'fatkids+birthday cakes'.

Dirtbikindad393
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Was in Turners Pasadena to dros a Ruger SR22 Pistol and they have a couple SA's. One was a loaded SS and the other was a i don't remeber but it was also SS. I was going to ask to fondle the Loaded since I am getting a Loaded Black Stainless on Monday PPT.

SoCalSig1911
05-03-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm bias lol, but why not grab a Sig 1911?

MrExel17
05-03-2012, 1:50 AM
+1 for SA and there Customer Service, I agree hard to come by but defiantly worth the wait. Shops around the Bay Area have them and within days get sold, Kimbers on the other hand has a nice selection and does not sell as fast!

FLAWLS1
05-03-2012, 2:26 AM
These brand vs brand threads get old and very quick. You read good and bad things about everything. You can't satisfy everyone. I don't have experience with SA 1911's, but I would get one if given the opportunity and of course if the price was right. MrExel17, so why does Kimber sell the most 1911's out of all the manufacturers?;)

FLAWLS1
05-03-2012, 2:34 AM
By the way... I was talking to an employee at a gun shop who owns ten 1911's and out of all the production 1911's he said "Sigs & Springfields are the best". He also has a Kimber or Kimber's. For what it's worth, I own a Kimber TLE/RL II and I bought it brand new almost 2 years ago and I haven't had any problems with it. 2 of my friends and a cousin of mine also own Kimbers and theirs have been great too.

cindynles
05-03-2012, 9:37 AM
OK, just to stir the pot a little, Springfield 1911's don't have a firing pin safety. While Kimbers have the EVIL "Swartz" :50: safety.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/71707/1519908-spaceballs.jpg

beetle
05-03-2012, 10:18 AM
lol "I see your Swartz is as big as mine! Let's see how you can handle it"

opie4386
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
i bought my springer mil spec ss. a month after my bro got his kimber they are both great you wont go wrong but if you really want a operator you should wait. its gonna be youre gun in the end

m98
05-03-2012, 1:54 PM
OK, just to stir the pot a little, Springfield 1911's don't have a firing pin safety. While Kimbers have the EVIL "Swartz" :50: safety.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/7/71707/1519908-spaceballs.jpg

Rofl.....i forgot kimmys are equipd with swarts. Sa mc op ftw.

FatCity67
05-03-2012, 2:07 PM
A shop in Turlock. I've seen the same two SA for months now. However, the Kimbers go like a birthday cake at a fat kids birthday!

Three posts now and you have yet to tell us where this supposed stockpile of Springfields is located. Yes Yes Yes we all know Turlock. Care to be specific? Double:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dirtbikindad393
05-03-2012, 2:35 PM
I'm bias lol, but why not grab a Sig 1911?

That was my first choice however the one I want is not on CA Roster and discontinued. I was able to save a couple huny by not paying for SSE buying a used SA loaded Black Stainless instead and its still a bad arse looking gun! Now that being said my next 1911 will be a Sig!

jkody
05-03-2012, 3:25 PM
Is'nt their only 1 shop in Turlock? Alquist on center st.

keenkeen
05-03-2012, 3:33 PM

DingDingDing

We have a winner!

MXRider
05-03-2012, 3:38 PM

LMAO, yeah don't buy that SA because you read about lots of problems, but buy that kimber instead, they are GTG... :rolleyes:

Another classic Calguns post.

bubbapug1
05-03-2012, 3:40 PM
Brasil is just as competant at high quality machining as the Americans or chinese, or anyone else for that matter. The Euro car makers have sourced parts in Brasil for decades.

Why buy anything at Turners and wait six months? There have been two SA 1911 champions for sale on this board just in the last week.

Do you feel the need to pay sales tax to the same government that tries to keep you from owning that gun in the first place??

Recycle guns in the community...

jkody
05-03-2012, 3:43 PM
What did I win? If I could get the walther P22 Alquist ordered for me a month and a half ago I would be cool with that as a prize. ;)

trashman
05-03-2012, 8:19 PM

The best - love those guys! Great prices, great selection of a wide variety of things - they are a USFA dealer too...I have seen Ed Brown and Wilson 1911's as well.

--Neill

CalNRA
05-03-2012, 9:35 PM

This.

When Kimber ditches that, I'll get one. Same goes for Colt with the Series 80 crap.

LovingTheYear1911
05-03-2012, 9:38 PM
There is actually more than one shop in Turlock. Give Bilson's Sports a try.