PDA

View Full Version : XD trigger modifications

Dean58
05-02-2012, 6:50 AM
I've really enjoyed my XD9 over the past few years, it's basically just a recreational shooter and gets out maybe 4-5 times a year to run 100 or so rounds through it. Also sits as backup in HD. The trigger has never been a problem for me in the past.

So over the past 6 months I've had an increasing issue with tendon pain, maybe some arthritis in my trigger finger (why couldn't it have been on the other hand!@%), and am finding that with this decreased mobility my shooting accuracy is off with the XD. I still shoot my other non-polymer pistols well, but want to keep this one in rotation if I can reduce pre/post travel and pull.

I've found there are a couple of trigger kits and mods that are out there for the XD that seem to pop up...

Powder River Precision
Springer Precision

- am I missing any that I should consider?
- any particular kit/mod recommendations or experience?

I will probably use a gunsmith if there are any significant mods that need to be made, but if the kit is simple, I'll do it myself.

thanks all

Prospector
05-02-2012, 7:44 AM
I have the PRP Ultimate Match Target Trigger Kit. Can be install yourself.

My experience with it was short crisp pull and short reset. It improved my accuracy by far.

Dean58
05-02-2012, 8:32 AM
thanks Prospector - I read that...

"The kit requires minor fitting and includes gunsmith installation instructions."

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=34&categoryId=2

is it just sanding for the fitting?

libertyordeath
05-02-2012, 8:36 AM
Yeah check out videos on YouTube just little sanding is all. I just put the reducing power springs on my xd very simple but it still has the travel on trigger which I'll upgrade later.

But yeah totally felt the lbs melt off with the springs lol.

speedrrracer
05-02-2012, 8:47 AM
PRP and Springer are both great according to all reviews over at XDTalk

Also consider Canyon Creek Customs and the Springfield Armory Custom Shop -- both also enjoy impeccable reputations for excellent triggers (among other things).

Personally I went with PRP for the over-travel trigger stop design; I think it's brilliant, but any of the above would have made me very very happy.

zfields
05-02-2012, 9:09 AM
Whatever route you go, don't mess with the striker spring on an HD gun.

Gryff
05-02-2012, 9:29 AM
thanks Prospector - I read that...

"The kit requires minor fitting and includes gunsmith installation instructions."

is it just sanding for the fitting?

Yes, or gentle use of a dremel. Basically you need to file down the trigger stop on the backside of the trigger to the point you get a clean break point and positive reset. It may mean lightly sanding/grinding, test in gun, sand more, test again, etc. if you are trying to get the shortest pull/reset. But patience with the repetition is probably the hardest part of the entire process.

Barbarossa
05-02-2012, 9:54 AM
You can also check you XDtalk.com, which is how I ended up here at CGN.

railroader
05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
I also would recommend the PRP trigger kits. I have the ultimate easy fit in my xd9 and it works well. Here's a you tube video of a powder river trigger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvVzxUc0NTY

Gary13
05-02-2012, 1:59 PM
Are these trigger kits legal for USPSA Production class?

Edit: Nevermind, per their website it is.

Dean58
05-02-2012, 3:31 PM
thank you all for the replies and tips!

Been spending some time this afternoon watching youtube vids and searching xdtalk... and it's given me enough confidence to do the PRP Ultimate Match Target Trigger Kit myself.

A quick google search didn't show me too many options for ordering except directly from their www site, and local gun shops didn't carry it or other options...so I'll order up before end of week.

again - thanks for the replies!

railroader
05-02-2012, 4:55 PM
thank you all for the replies and tips!

Been spending some time this afternoon watching youtube vids and searching xdtalk... and it's given me enough confidence to do the PRP Ultimate Match Target Trigger Kit myself.

A quick google search didn't show me too many options for ordering except directly from their www site, and local gun shops didn't carry it or other options...so I'll order up before end of week.

again - thanks for the replies!

As what Zfields mentioned early you might want to stay with a stock striker spring. Sometimes lighter striker or hammer springs can cause light strikes. My xd with the stock spring always goes bang and the trigger is very good.

bam11
05-02-2012, 5:03 PM
I did the prp drop in trigger kit and it comes with two sets of springs with different lbs of pull I put the lightest ones in and it works awesome and took about 20minutes to put in
just make sure you buy decent ammo with the light springs or you will get ftf every so often

zfields
05-02-2012, 5:17 PM
I did the prp drop in trigger kit and it comes with two sets of springs with different lbs of pull I put the lightest ones in and it works awesome and took about 20minutes to put in
just make sure you buy decent ammo with the light springs or you will get ftf every so often

Considering its an HD gun, light springs are not a good idea.

scotty99
05-02-2012, 8:00 PM
As the XD is a single action pistol, changing the striker spring has zero effect on the trigger. The PRP ultimate match kit does not require any disassembly of the slide even.

Installing the kit is pretty straightforward. The only thing I would tell you is most people seem surprised at the amount of material that has to come off the overtravel. PRP made that part way big. I had to remove more than 50% of it just to get the gun to function. Once done, it is a remarkable improvement.

One side benefit of doing this yourself - when you're done you will be an EXPERT at stripping and reassembling the lower half of your gun.

cgates
05-02-2012, 9:14 PM
with the mods you have do do, does that prevent you from putting the stock trigger back in?

Briancnelson
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
No, the mods are all to the new parts. You can simply drop the old parts back in should you desire.

biloutkast
05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
You may have to do some fitting but the PRP kit was an easy install. Check out Youtube for step by step instructions.

m98
05-03-2012, 8:21 AM
Whatever route you go, don't mess with the striker spring on an HD gun.

And then post up a thread that ur xd sucks cuz it fails to fire or fails to setoff primers. Lol ;p

Gryff
05-03-2012, 8:59 AM
And then post up a thread that ur xd sucks cuz it fails to fire or fails to setoff primers. Lol ;p

I've had a light-power spring that failed to set off primers on some factory ammo.