PDA

View Full Version : Knock on Glock. Slide finish.

gue55who
05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
What's up with Glock's slide finishes lately? My G26 doesn't display a consistent black color throughout and around the slide. It looks grayish bronze with some sort of plum like purple at certain angles(changes color). The finish is not as shiny and smooth like earlier Glock's, instead dull like with a matte type texture that seems to absorb oil.

Anyone else notice this, and know why it's happening now? The finish on Glock never seemed to be an issue since it's establishment. Why now......:confused:

RoundEye
05-02-2012, 1:23 AM
They changed the finish at some point and went with tenifer under black parkerizing. You can always have the slide cerakoted or refinished by GLOCK.

Fherot
05-02-2012, 8:54 AM
I just picked up my G26 on Monday and the finish looks even to me, really dark gray parkerizing. I can't recall if it's lighter than my G21 or G19 but they were black as soon as I wiped them down with oil that they seemed to suck up.

I know Glocks don't 'need' oil on slides but old habits and they look healthier after. (I wipe off most of the oil after it sits for a while).

A guy down the street carries everyday at his business and gets holster wear pretty regularly and once a year mails his slide to Georgia for a $40 refinishing.

The tenifer is in the metal of the slide but the parkerized coating is what gets the wear or 'damage' including any unevenness you see. It's cheap to replace.

elsolo
05-02-2012, 9:14 AM
There is no parkerizing on a Glock.
The Tenifer process causes the black oxide exterior.

Fherot
05-02-2012, 9:37 AM
The finish on a Glock pistol is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05*mm (0.0020*in) thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C hardness rating via a 500 C (932*F) nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off.

From Wikipedia (and common knowledge).

teflondog
05-02-2012, 9:46 AM
Tennifer is a colorless metal treatment and not a finish. Even if you polish off the black coating, the Tennifer is still protecting the metal underneath. The black finish is just for looks although it may provide minimal protection. Glock told me that even if you cosmetically polish your barrel to a shine and remove the black coating, the tennifer will still protect the steel.

kielbasavw
05-02-2012, 9:57 AM
What's wrong with the plum colors, some hks are known for it, and its awesome.

Lead Waster
05-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Personally, I like really worn looking guns versus new-in-the-box shiny guns. Sort of gives them a tough business look to them. I don't think guns should be pretty, they should look like the Man With No Name took them for a long ride, or they were carried by someone looking for Private Ryan.

Lumpia is sarap!
05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Here's a good comparison:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN1998.jpg
The G31 in this pic looks sweet.

gue55who
05-02-2012, 10:43 AM
What's wrong with the plum colors, some hks are known for it, and its awesome.

The problem is Glock isn't known for having plum finishes. The new finish doesn't bother me enough to have it sent out and redone. I'm just saying why change something that no one ever had an issue with. Did you ever hear a Glock owner with the earlier finish say "what's up with the finish its to smooth and shiny, wayy to even"?

Some people like it, some don't. I personally don't and hope they read enough post's like this, that they would consider finishing slides the old way.

beretta929mm
05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Gen 3 glocks used to have a slick dark finish that was very scratch resistant. Then Gen 4 came out with a more rough finish, so Gen 3 manufactured after that all have the same rough finish.

locosway
05-02-2012, 10:55 AM
At some point Glock changed the exterior finish from a slightly glossy to a flat black. My G17's and G20 are glossy, my G19 is more flat. I like the older glossy look better, but it all works the same.

gue55who
05-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Personally, I like really worn looking guns versus new-in-the-box shiny guns. Sort of gives them a tough business look to them. I don't think guns should be pretty, they should look like the Man With No Name took them for a long ride, or they were carried by someone looking for Private Ryan.

There are many people that feel like you. My 26 is my beater gun & love it. I bought it with the intention that I wouldn't care so much about the finish like I do my 1911. I just don't like that it's new but looks old. Now if this look developed over time I wouldn't mind it all.

Will I still buy Glock? Definitely.

Atekhed
05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I noticed this as well when I picked up my current Gen3 G19 (made 2012) versus my older Gen3 G19 (made 2010) that the newer one had a lighter greyish, less black slide finish. In some lights it almost looked like a dark metallic patina while the older one was a more uniform black in color.

I hadnt heard mention of this anywhere else but assumed it was a manufacturing change for whatever reason.

drunktank
05-02-2012, 1:53 PM
I thought it was due to like EPA laws in the states and whatnot? At least that was the rumor a year and a half ago...from my experience the newer finish scratches a little easier but who cares-it's a tool not a trophy :)

tal3nt
05-02-2012, 1:57 PM
Never seen the old finish, but I think the newer finish that's on my 19 is awesome. Can be a little slippery at times though. It reminds me of the finish on a high quality nonstick skillet.

Don the savage
05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Slides made in austria are a different color than the ones made in georgia. The process used in austria is a bit differnt than in georgia because of epa issues. I got this info at the armorers class last year.

c3 rolling
05-03-2012, 12:25 AM
My 6 month old Glock 27 has the dull grey finish but my brand new Glock 23 has the old shiny black finish. So far I own 3 Glocks with the grey finish and they are durable. They seem to hold more oil, non refelctive, and arent as slippery. I do like the looks of the shiny black though on my other Glocks....

Hoot951
05-03-2012, 1:01 AM
I have a Glock 23gen 4 with the old shiny, slippery, skillet like finish so apparently they still making both types of slide finishes on their guns. To me it seems a bit more wear resistant but the down side is that it is pretty slick either way it works for me.

MrExel17
05-03-2012, 1:39 AM
OP I know what you mean, I personal dig it. At first I thought is was just me!

Nynvolt
05-03-2012, 2:39 AM
My old g19, bought used in the early 90's, had a dull black finish. Some I've seen from the 2000's had a shiny black finish. My fairly new'ish g22 has a dull dark grey finish.

The EPA banned certain treatments, one was the one used by glock and other gun manufacturers, I suspect that's why the initial switch to the slick shiny finish and then changed again because glock probably got complaints or they have been able to find an EPA approved finish that more closely matched the original finish.

Lead Waster
05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
I THOUGHT that it was the Tennifer finish that was EPA banned, and not the final over-the-tennifer finish. But maybe that was banned as well.

Well, the best thing to do is go out and shoot some zombie targets at the range. That's my solution to everything.

tal3nt
05-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I THOUGHT that it was the Tennifer finish that was EPA banned, and not the final over-the-tennifer finish. But maybe that was banned as well.

Well, the best thing to do is go out and shoot some zombie targets at the range. That's my solution to everything.

I can't think of a single situation where that wouldn't work for

HighLander51
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I had this G19 custom finished....

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image31932.jpg

Tee Why
05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I thougt it was all in my head. I remember Glocks having that black finish on the slide but when I bought a 21SF recently, I noticed that it has a rougher grey/purple like color on the slide. It reminds me of teflon coated frying pans personally, and it does seem to soak up oil quiet a bit, and I ended up wrapping a paper towel around it before putting it into my gun rug which has a bit of oil sucked up from my prior guns that I put in it before.

Overall, the finish seems more industrial, less reflective, and more slippery. But the slide serrations in the back seems to do the job, so no big deal either way for me.

P.S. Just for shiggles, I called Glock Tech support just now and they told me that they went to this new slide finish about 2 years ago to add more texture to the slide and no other reasons. At least that's what the guy says.

bombadillo
05-03-2012, 10:30 AM
By what, a bead blaster... :D

tal3nt
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM
I had this G19 custom finished....

http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/gallery/image31932.jpg

What happened

twohi2play
05-03-2012, 11:34 AM
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/twohi2play/G23003.jpg

I forgot to wipe off those oil marks that came from my greases thumb on the rear end of my slide and the next day they became permanent. So now I use my number two pencil to mask that stain which actually blends in great...Lol! I am now looking for some testors enamel that has that number two pencil type of color.

HighLander51
05-03-2012, 1:02 PM
What happened

It was in a car fire. Actually the only damage was the plastic sights melted off, and the frame is a little tweeked, still runs fine and the fire smell is finally gone.

Red Devil
05-03-2012, 7:42 PM
Have a G23 Gen2 from the early '90's.

Original flat mat finish that looks and feels like 1000 grit wet-or-dry.

Don't know what the new, Gen4 finish looks/feels like, but it's GOT to be better than the Gen3 blackberry Popsicle... :D

The closer to the Original, the better.

P.S. Thanks for the note RE: the new Gen3's havin' the new Gen4 finish. I may just get a few more G23's now that they won't slip thu my fingers like as greased shoat.