PDA

View Full Version : Making a ten round mag question?

midvalleyshooter
05-01-2012, 9:38 PM
Whats needs to be done to a hi cap rebuild kit to make it a legal 10 round mag? I have read until my eyes hurt and the more I read the less sure I am:confused:

Thanks,
Keith

strongpoint
05-01-2012, 9:42 PM
make it so that the mag can't hold more than 10 rounds. put a block inside or install rivets that prevent the follower from depressing enough to allow an 11th round to fit.

NeoGeo630
05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
You have to install may blocks AND make it so the mag cannot be converted back to a hi cap. For PMags, ppl either epoxy the bottom so the cover cannot be removed after blocking or some places even insert a pin through the bottom cover.

G-forceJunkie
05-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Block it so it only holds 10 rounds, and make the modification "perminant." What is considered perminant can be a grey area. Generally, if it takes tools, cutting, drilling, or would destroy or damage the magazine to get it back apart is what they want. Blind rivets and epoxy glue are the typical items used.

strongpoint
05-01-2012, 11:31 PM
oh, yeah -- permanence. thanks, guys.

alfred1222
05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Block it so it only holds 10 rounds, and make the modification "perminant." What is considered perminant can be a grey area. Generally, if it takes tools, cutting, drilling, or would destroy or damage the magazine to get it back apart is what they want. Blind rivets and epoxy glue are the typical items used.

this is what i do..

gh0stface
05-02-2012, 12:16 AM
I has anyone call DOJ on this issue? Wouldn't a converted magazine be like the bullet button? If it takes a tool to disassemble the mag, shouldn't it fall under the same precedent as the bullet button?

ClarenceBoddicker
05-02-2012, 1:10 AM
The law, like many CA anti-gun laws is vague on purpose. CA DOJ will no longer play the phone call or letter game as they have gotten burned too many times. In the end it's not what you or a website who will make the possible finial call on legality, but what the LEOs, DA & jury thinks. IMO it should be as simple as adding a spacer to the lower part of the follower to block the 11th round. There is nothing written about requiring that a 10+ round mag blocked to hold 10 rounds can't be disassembled, just being a permanent modification. If you were to weld, screw, rivet or glue the spacers on, it should logically be considered permanent IMO. Most non gun people would not even think about or even know how to take a mag apart to see what was done to block it. Just keep 11 rounds with the mags in case someone wanted to check their capacity out. I do think it would be stupid to own some spare unmodified followers, as some people may suspect that you are not following the spirit of the law.

Decoligny
05-02-2012, 7:04 AM
The law, like many CA anti-gun laws is vague on purpose. CA DOJ will no longer play the phone call or letter game as they have gotten burned too many times. In the end it's not what you or a website who will make the possible finial call on legality, but what the LEOs, DA & jury thinks. IMO it should be as simple as adding a spacer to the lower part of the follower to block the 11th round. There is nothing written about requiring that a 10+ round mag blocked to hold 10 rounds can't be disassembled, just being a permanent modification. If you were to weld, screw, rivet or glue the spacers on, it should logically be considered permanent IMO. Most non gun people would not even think about or even know how to take a mag apart to see what was done to block it. Just keep 11 rounds with the mags in case someone wanted to check their capacity out. I do think it would be stupid to own some spare unmodified followers, as some people may suspect that you are not following the spirit of the law.

That's why you own some unassembled large-capacity magazines. Include the blocks, so you can claim that they are just extra 10 round magazines that you haven't modified yet.