PDA

View Full Version : Iver Johnson 1911 Lowers and Uppers

JackRydden224
05-01-2012, 9:27 PM
While browsing stuff for my M1 Carbine clone I found that Iver Johnson sells lowers and uppers for a number of different 1911 models.

http://www.iverjohnsonarms.com/29301.html

I am just not sure if I can buy the lower assembly and have it shipped directly to me without a FFL. Basically I am not sure if the lower assembly is the actual firearm in this case just like with ARs.

Also, what dictates if a specific lower is CA legal?

12GAUGE
05-01-2012, 9:30 PM
You wont be able to get any 1911 frame shipped to you at all or bare pistol frame for that matter. If it is not on the Roster as a complete pistol it is a no go and if im wrong then Im getting 2

NorCal Einstein
05-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Don't believe you can buy that frame because it is the serialized part and considered the firearm (like a lower is for an AR). Roster would then be applicable for this dealer purchase and these are off-roster.

Just like anything off-roster, you could buy it via PPT. I have no idea if this would work and it's probably not even worth the hassle, but maybe you could do a SSE where the FFL would have to lend you a slide assembly so that the paperwork can be completed, and you can do the safe handling demonstration. But this really isn't going to be worth it for just a frame.

JackRydden224
05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Don't believe you can buy that frame because it is the serialized part and considered the firearm (like a lower is for an AR). Roster would then be applicable for this dealer purchase and these are off-roster.

Just like anything off-roster, you could buy it via PPT. I have no idea if this would work and it's probably not even worth the hassle, but maybe you could do a SSE where the FFL would have to lend you a slide assembly so that the paperwork can be completed, and you can do the safe handling demonstration. But this really isn't going to be worth it for just a frame.

Eh yea...if it is that much hassle then I'll just save up money for the RIA. I guess sometimes short cuts just don't work.