View Full Version : HK P30L

05-01-2012, 7:52 PM
I have looked around but havent seen any recent post as to whether or not you can purchase this firearm in California from a dealer. Do they have a CA ok model or is it ok to buy just as long as I get the 10 round mags?

05-01-2012, 8:18 PM
Looking at the list, it looks like you'd have to get it via SSE or private party. I'm not entirely sure though.

I'm in the market for one myself.

05-01-2012, 8:32 PM
Looking at the list, it looks like you'd have to get it via SSE or private party. I'm not entirely sure though.

I'm in the market for one myself.

You are correct. The HK P30L is not on the safe guns list, but you can obtain one by either SSE or PPT. The PPT tends to be more expensive. I bought my HK P30L from Valkyrie Arms for retail price.

05-01-2012, 9:17 PM
what is in SSE? is your P30 from valkyrie any different from the model as shown on the website?

05-01-2012, 9:34 PM
SSE = Single Shot Exemption. There's a thread describing this whole process at the top of this Handgun forum. It's the second thread from the top.

A P30 obtained via SSE would be no different than the model that you see on the website.

05-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Single Shot Exemption thread

My HK P30 is exactly the same gun on the HK website. Mine has ten round magazines.

05-02-2012, 4:58 AM
Thanks guys. On that note, which model of P30L would you recommend? I was thinking the V3 DA/SA 9mm. What is LEM?

05-02-2012, 5:27 AM
Thanks guys. On that note, which model of P30L would you recommend? I was thinking the V3 DA/SA 9mm. What is LEM?

"Law Enforcement Modification" DOA, no decoker but the DA is lighter and smoother than what you would find in the V3.

05-02-2012, 9:12 AM
which do you tend to prefer and why?

05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
The LEM is a long light beautiful trigger that can be used to make very
fast effective hits on target with some practice. The stock version you can
buy (as above posters have noted) is what is called 'heavy LEM' and with
a few spring changes it can be made either somewhat lighter or quite light
for a few bucks ($20-30) and some time to swap the springs. The light LEM
is 'like' a block trigger with a lighter pull, but a farther pull, and a less defined reset.
By less defined I mean it does not 'ping' when you reach the reset.
You can rent an LEM P2000 at Reeds in San Jose to try it. It is the stock LEM trigger.
If you want to learn more, you can also go to the HKPRO forum on the web.
It is very active and very informative.
For a consistent - same every time - trigger for a carry or competition gun,
I am sold on the LEM trigger.

05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
One last thing, if the local gun shop has troubles getting the LEM version,
you can get the DA/SA and then convert it yourself with HK parts or you
can just send it to HK and have them do it.
Since it needs to be SSE purchased, sometimes getting exactly what you
want is a bit tricky - or you just need to wait a bit for the order.

05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I think Direct Action Solutions has two P30s in stock. I saw them about a week ago. I think they were the LEM version. I can't see your location but if you're near SD it's worth giving them the call.

05-03-2012, 6:28 AM
what do you guys think a good price for the p30L in CA?

05-03-2012, 7:46 AM
In SD they are between $1000- $1100

05-03-2012, 8:20 AM

05-03-2012, 8:39 AM
The variants for the P30 series are a little different compared to the rest of the HKs.

V1/V2 are the LEM version. Light(4.5-5.5) and Heavy(7.5-8.5)
V3 is SA/DA

P30 has all 3 versions though I dont believe they make factory V1 anymore so you can only get V2 if you look hard enough.

P30L is only in V3, V1/V2 variants are supposed to be released sometime this year but havent heard anything on it. It is possible to purchase a conversion kit to change your V3 to V1/V2 but it will void HK warranty as the kit is not approved since the P30 series were not made to change between variants(leaves a small slot on rear of frame/slide where the decocker was).

Then you have the P30S/P30LS which are LEM triggers but comes with ambi safeties.

05-03-2012, 10:04 AM
I located a dealer out of florida that will send ryan the p30 to sse. I really wanted the L but cant find them anywhere and dont think it will make that much of a difference by 1/2 an inch. Plus people on the HK forum said the p30 balanced a little better over the L.

As a first pistol i think i couldnt go wrong with either. Im going with tbe v3 since thats whats available and i happen to like that better then a mushy glock like trigger

05-03-2012, 5:05 PM
ok. So I am leaning P30LS. I think the trigger pull on this LEM pistol is around 8 lbs. What is the best way to get this down to about 5 lbs. I think my 1911 is 5.5 lbs. Is this just a simple spring replacement that any gun dealer can do for me or are there negatives in changing the two?

Does anyone have good places to buy this firearm in the San Francisco area and to replace the spring (if viable).

05-03-2012, 6:14 PM
Come on now, as was said, go to the HK forum. All your info is there and you can spend some of your own time finding it instead of sitting in-place and wanting it spoon-fed to you.

Here, I'll help you on your way, just click. http://www.hkpro.com/forum/

And button your shirt.

05-03-2012, 6:42 PM
i've been doing both at the same time kb58. but thanks for your oh so insightful input, i can tell that you must be a pretty sharp guy.

05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
get the HK from Tablerock arms, SSE.
to lighten the LEM you need the light trigger return spring and firing pin block spring.

05-08-2012, 9:51 PM
Adding to that, to get to the lightest LEM you need a new hammer spring. Some people like a little more feedback in the trigger on the reset and leave the trigger return spring as original - to get that effect.