PDA

View Full Version : cleaning your gun

curtru
05-01-2012, 7:36 PM
I have a ria 1911 what do you guys check for when cleaning and breaking down you gun.
Iv also been itching to get to the range so iv been getting to know my new gun breaking her down checking wear marks fitting of other parts I did notice if I where to slide the barrel and barrel bushing fit kind of loose but not bad I haven't checked it yet but any advise may be helpful as to what it should be

HKchucksta
05-01-2012, 8:07 PM
Look for a good, clear youtube video. Upon a cursory 2 second search, I found this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOACenxoRXs

chaseface
05-01-2012, 9:58 PM
There are a lot of good videos online. That's where I learned to disassemble and clean most of my guns.

Just do the field strip, cleaning, and lubrication. There is no need to do a total take-down into the trigger group and all that. You won't need to that for several thousand rounds, and even then you probly don't need to. Also a lot of people run brushes through there bore over and over to get all the gunk out. I just throw a bore snake through a few times covered in solvent, one or two dry patches, and a lubricated one. Always remove excessive barrel lube before shooting.

curtru
05-01-2012, 10:12 PM
I guess I should refrase my question what I xs and what is ok play in barrel bushing to barrel cuz iv seen a bunch of videos on youtube and know how to tear down my guns and also what do other people look for when strip the gun down

Chief-7700
05-02-2012, 8:22 AM
Normal cleaning of the top half and frame feed ramp and rails. 3 months or 5,000 rounds
strip down to bare frame cleaning and new recoil spring.

teflondog
05-02-2012, 8:40 AM
I do a field strip and cleaning after every range session. If I shoot lead, then I'll detail strip and clean every 1,000 rounds. If I'm shooting jacketed ammo, then I detail strip every 3,000 rounds. I check the extractor to make sure there aren't any chips in it and I also check the feed ramp to make sure it's smooth without any burrs. Another thing I look at is the slide stop notch to make sure there isn't any peening. Every so often, I'll remove the grips and lube the frame since sweat has the tendency to cause surface rust underneath the grips.