PDA

View Full Version : mark iii... getting sick of this thing

Doc.Sil
05-01-2012, 5:16 PM
it is a great little shooter but I am considering getting rid of it because I am tired of cleaning the thing. if I sold it i'd upgrade to a 9mm, probably a HK p30L. I have a .45 kimber 1911 and a .357 blackhawk.

what do you I can sell a used mark iii for? it havent put more than 500 rounds through it. or should I hang onto it?

thx,

doc

edgalang
05-01-2012, 5:33 PM
Tired of cleaning it but only 500 rounds? I have a Ruger SR22 pistol myself that's seen the range only once (which means only 2 cleaning sessions) and it already has 400 rounds through it.

How many times have you cleaned it? Seems to me you've missed the point of a .22 pistol to begin with since (assuming you clean your guns after every range trip) you rarely shoot it whenver you go to the range.

I vote hang on to it and give it more love.

Press Check
05-01-2012, 5:33 PM
Trust me, if you sell it, you'll miss it, so change the frequency of your cleaning intervals.

At the end of the day, there's nothing, and I mean nothing, that beats paying less than $20 for 500 rounds of ammunition.

Press Check
05-01-2012, 5:35 PM
On a side note, I think I enjoy cleaning my pistols just as much as I enjoy shooting them, so this topic is quite baffling to me.

Doc.Sil
05-01-2012, 5:36 PM
how often should i be cleaning it? ive only taken it apart twice. but they have been far enough apart so that i forgot the little tricks in getting it back together well.

Budd
05-01-2012, 5:39 PM
Seriously? Twice? And you are sick of it?

The more you clean your gun the more familiar and quicker the task is done. Maybe you should shoot and clean it more to get the hang of it.

You think you won't have to clean other guns?:confused:

Press Check
05-01-2012, 5:41 PM
how often should i be cleaning it? ive only taken it apart twice. but they have been far enough apart so that i forgot the little tricks in getting it back together well.

Since the Mark III is nothing more than a target or plinking pistol, and not a pistol that you're not going to use to defend life or limb, take it down after 1,000 rounds and clean it. Based on the bullet-proof reliability, some owners don't clean them until they experience consistent malfunctions directly associated with lack of maintenence. By the way, you're not cleaning the pistol as opposed to keeping the internal assembly lubricated.

Meety Peety
05-01-2012, 5:50 PM
:Ivan:

Just kidding.. Keep it. If you just don't like that particular gun that's one thing, but if you are having a hard time with the breakdown/assembly, you can watch youtube videos until you get used to the thing.

Eljay
05-01-2012, 6:07 PM
With my Mark II I just swab the worst of the stuff out with a q-tip and keep it lubed for the most part. I do have a little piece of aluminum that shields the trigger area from falling junk - not sure if people still do that or if it's even necessary with a Mark III but it works for me.

That being said I do a detail strip and clean occasionally and while I do have to fire up YouTube to remind me how that last bit works, it's still easier than when I started. Part of that's because some parts loosen up.

So I'd say to go to cleaning it twice a year and see how you feel about it in a year.

GunHo
05-01-2012, 6:14 PM
A .22 is a must have in a pistol collection. But it should be a quick sell if you decide to let it go. The Mark III is one of best .22's on the market.

CAglock20c
05-01-2012, 6:30 PM

is that a serious question? you clean your weapon after EVERY time you shoot it. no exceptions. a clean weapon is a well performing weapon

beretta929mm
05-01-2012, 6:32 PM
If you "upgrade", you won't be able to shoot as often as you would like to.
500 rds of .22 is $20, 500 rds of .45 is...$200?

repubconserv
05-01-2012, 6:38 PM
is that a serious question? you clean your weapon after EVERY time you shoot it. no exceptions. a clean weapon is a well performing weapon

My weapons are well performing... they are also super dirty

Cleaning guns is seriously overrated. Especially a 22 target pistol. If your gun needs to be clean to function, get rid of it. (or keep it I really don't care, it is just that if you are tired of cleaning a gun that needs to be constantly cleaned... buy something you don't have to clean as often)

rubber duckie
05-01-2012, 6:46 PM
where are you located? i might take it and you can sell it to me dirty. i love cleaning guns, i actually like it as much if not more then shooting them.

Press Check
05-01-2012, 7:00 PM
My weapons are well performing... they are also super dirty

Cleaning guns is seriously overrated. Especially a 22 target pistol. If your gun needs to be clean to function, get rid of it. (or keep it I really don't care, it is just that if you are tired of cleaning a gun that needs to be constantly cleaned... buy something you don't have to clean as often)

They don't necessarily have to be meticulously cleaned following every trip to the range, but unless you don't mind having carbon, lead and other particles bonding to your pistol or rifle, they do in fact need to be cleaned regularly.

At the end of the day, a clean gun is typically a well lubricated gun, which extends the service life of the internal components.

tal3nt
05-01-2012, 7:05 PM
By all means upgrade to a 9MM, but keep the MKIII!

drifter2be
05-01-2012, 7:14 PM
If you don't reload I would not be selling that gun, you already have two guns that use expensive ammunition, and 9mm is still about $0.20 per round.

Its a .22 pistol, something that you don't NEED to keep at the ready for personal defense or such, so just run a boresnake through it after going to the range and actually CLEAN it somewhere between 500-1000 rounds depending on how dirty the ammo you are using is. That is what I have always done with my rimfire guns.

As far as selling price goes, this is calguns, so I think exactly what you paid out the door including tax and dros fee + 10% is a typical calguns listing...

Honestly, if I were listing it, I would put my asking price at whatever the cost was before tax and dros fees minus 5-10% assuming it is still in 95% or better condition.

wtkaiser
05-01-2012, 7:18 PM
You are contemplating pulling the trigger WAY too soon. I agree with the others, keep it and learn to use it well. Don't worry about cleaning it so much. Besides, using it will help wear some of the parts that make cleaning so much of a hassle. My wife has a Mk 1 Standard model that I got for free because the owner (now deceased) couldn't clean it. It's a piece of cake, really. Just have to learn what makes it tick.

Doc.Sil
05-01-2012, 7:31 PM
thanks everyone. im going to keep the darn thing. ran into that problem where i put the think back together and the hammer comes back only 1/4" and gets stuck. which lead me to make this post :p

i do like shooting the gun i just wish i could take it apart like my kimber..

gorenut
05-01-2012, 7:37 PM
You're probably overdoing the cleaning as some of the others have pointed out. I own a 22/45 MK III and pretty much all I do is run a boresnake through it and use a brush into the chamber with the gun still assembled. I've run at least 2,000 rounds into the gun since I last disassembled it and it is running just fine.

The 22 comes with me every range trip. Its just too fun and economical to pass up. I can understand your pain in disassembling the MK III and if it bugs you, you can probably sell it to get an SR-22, but I can guarantee you that it won't be as accurate.

Press Check
05-01-2012, 7:39 PM
thanks everyone. im going to keep the darn thing. ran into that problem where i put the think back together and the hammer comes back only 1/4" and gets stuck. which lead me to make this post :o

i do like shooting the gun i just wish i could take it apart like my kimber..

So, you took apart your pistol, couldn't get it back together, and started this thread out of frustration? What sort of Tomfoolery is this? :p

onegtalon
05-02-2012, 2:50 AM
When I bought mine I took it apart at least 5 times before I even shot it because I heard about the horror stories about cleaning it.

The parts tend to break free after 5-10 times and you get used to it..

Don't give up..... Just spend a night breaking it down over n over n over... It gets easier.. Trust me (err or trust us!)

After that you'll get used it it.. I havent broken it down in months but since the parts are 'broken in' when i did the multiple takedowns its easier...

Sent from my iPhone...

rogervzv
05-02-2012, 3:24 AM
On a side note, I think I enjoy cleaning my pistols just as much as I enjoy shooting them, so this topic is quite baffling to me.

Yes, me too.

There is a quick learning curve with Mark pistols. Once you get the hang of cleaning and stripping it, you will be able to have it spic and span after shooting in under 15 minutes. Quicker than most center fire pistols, which tend to be dirtier after shooting. Hang in there is my advice.

The Mark III is a fantastic pistol that you can cheaply and accurately shoot, and for which you can cheaply stockpile ammo. Pretty hard to beat a Mark III.

Doc.Sil
05-02-2012, 5:51 AM
I enjoy cleaning as well. But after cleaning my cdp II and the blackhawk, the mark III makes me wonder.

enzo357
05-02-2012, 7:18 AM
I put a lot of rounds thru my mark 111. Just swab out the gunk, and run a bore snake down the barrel. Put a volq trigger and ejector in mine, shoots really well.

MrExel17
05-02-2012, 7:24 AM
I say get the 9mm, but if you want to off set the cost sell it. But having a .22 in a collection is must, for me it supports my shooting habit.

Fherot
05-02-2012, 7:50 AM
I traded my stainless MkIII Target to my step dad for my Rem 700 back which I traded to a fellow calgunner for a M&P 45 which I don't regret at all.

I also have a blued MkIII 22/45 slab side though and I much prefer it over the Target model. Why would they put such crappy sights on the 'Target' model and nice white dot sights on the $279.99 22/45 slab side?

Anyway as for everyone telling him to keep it I say hang onto it for 1k rounds and if by then you still don't enjoy it because of the cleaning or the way it looks or any reason then trade for something you know you'll like.

psango
05-02-2012, 8:18 AM
I got used to cleaning the Mark III, but have installed one of these to loose the mag disconnect and improve the trigger, there are other methods but this is fast and easy: Just make sure the bolt stop is tight, unless you want a small dent in the forehead.

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

The third and newest Speed Strip Kit is called the 3.2 Conversion Kit. This Kit will fit any of the Ruger .22 Auto Pistols and allows MK III owners to safely omit the magazine disconnect feature. This Kit is supplied with a new hammer pivot bushing which as an added benefit will reduce the pre-travel of the trigger by 65%

teflondog
05-02-2012, 8:21 AM
I know two people who have never field stripped their Mark III for as long as they've owned it. After shooting, they just run a bore snake through the barrel then wipe the breach face and feed ramp with a Q-tip soaked with CLP. I say keep it and shoot it without obsessing over cleaning.

CSACANNONEER
05-02-2012, 8:26 AM
Lol. I'd consider a MKIII an upgrade over 99% of handguns chambered in 9mm or any other centerfire cartridge.

AK all day
05-02-2012, 8:32 AM
Cleaning my MK II is a pain in the you know what when I do clean it. As previously stated however, it has loosened up a bit. I am one of those guys that cleans there gun after every shoot, but this gun is an exception. I haven't cleaned it in about 1500 rounds, only lubed and she runs just fine. I would not sell it because it sucks to clean, keep it because it rocks to shoot!

Moto4Fun
05-02-2012, 8:50 AM

That is your opinion. Personally, I find that to be rather excessive. While I do enjoy cleaning my guns, I would spend more time cleaning than shooting if I followed your prescription.

Jack L
05-02-2012, 8:53 AM
it is a great little shooter but I am considering getting rid of it because I am tired of cleaning the thing. if I sold it i'd upgrade to a 9mm, probably a HK p30L. I have a .45 kimber 1911 and a .357 blackhawk.

what do you I can sell a used mark iii for? it havent put more than 500 rounds through it. or should I hang onto it?

thx,

doc

I understand your frustration.

When cleaning the Mark III one needs to be relaxed and thoroughly understand the hammer up, hammer down thing. Also have the proper tools, non marring hammer, wooden dowel (thatís what I use) and I use the paperclip too. The other thing I noticed is that if I use a super tiny smudge of grease where the barrel contacts the grip frame it slides on easier and then slides off easier too, both with a smack of the hammer. It gets to be like a clean operation with minimal effort and energy output.

I watched the Ruger video on YouTube back when I stated buying my Mark's until I understood what the heck the sequence was and why. After I cleaned the Markís a number of times it got real easy. The tiny bit of grease really helped the on/off of the barrel. I only use enough to turn the metal shinny right in the proper location. Itís almost hardly none at all.

Shooting squirrels with a Target or Hunter really hones the skill level..

Keep the faith. The Markís are a great accurate pistol once the shooter becomes familiar with them. I use seven magazines at a time at 25 yards on paper and the same at about 25 Ė 50 yards for squirrels which makes a shooter real humble fast. But after that, the CCW qualification distances seem like point blank.

Army
05-02-2012, 8:53 AM
A properly lubed weapon is more important that a clean one.

The ONLY time I will "clean" any of my .22's, is when a malfunction can be attributed to the massive build-up of gunk. Even then, it usually is a matter of simply wiping off the gunk.

weber_2
05-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Why clean after every range trip? Just clean the barrel and chamber, you don't need to disassemble the gun for that

tal3nt
05-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I know two people who have never field stripped their Mark III for as long as they've owned it. After shooting, they just run a bore snake through the barrel then wipe the breach face and feed ramp with a Q-tip soaked with CLP. I say keep it and shoot it without obsessing over cleaning.

I would take great pleasure in cleaning their guns

cwin
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I vote to keep it. It's a great shooter. You'll get used to the cleaning process or you can replace parts to make takedown easier.

Nachoman
05-02-2012, 2:05 PM
I don't disassemble mine, never have and hopefully never will. When I start getting jams (mainly double feeds) I'll lock the action open, take a kids toothbrush dipped in Hoppes and brush the insides that I can get to. Then I'll wipe it dry and oil the slide and call it a day. Works like a charm.

proclone1
05-02-2012, 2:15 PM

Good thing my glock 19 doesn't have ears!!