PDA

View Full Version : Is this 1911 22lr kit legitimate, looks too good to be true?

Equis
05-01-2012, 3:31 PM
RuYxLX_1C2c

He is looking for investors , which raised a red flag with me.

InGrAM
05-01-2012, 3:38 PM
I don't know how you could use the .45 recoil spring for a .22.... Fishy to me.

Equis
05-01-2012, 3:41 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking that when I was watching the video again. I sure as hell have had more than interesting times, when I take apart my 1911 by hand, the spring flings out.

unusedusername
05-01-2012, 4:20 PM
22lr cycling a full-weight steel slide with a 45ACP recoil spring?

Most 22kits use really low-weight springs and zinc slides so they weigh less. That has got to be the hottest loaded .22lr ever.

trew10
05-01-2012, 4:29 PM
why in the world would anyone convert a .45 1911 into a .22 ??? you can buy a .22 handgun or rifle for next to nothing.

Lead Waster
05-01-2012, 4:40 PM
There is that GSG .22 that looks exactly like a full sized 1911

gatesbox
05-01-2012, 4:42 PM
I could be wrong but it looks like his design allows the recoil spring to pass thru the barrel bushing effectively releasing some of the recoil spring tension as if you clipped five or so lops off the spring.

As to why would anyone convert a .45, if you have to ask you prob will never get the benefits of training at a reduced cost with a weapon you are more likely to use. Fr competition cheap drills and reloading. For personal defense the same is true, practice at reduced cost. Imagine if you use a 1911 as your HD weapon, drilling with a thousand rounds every week, I could never afford that with .45.

Lead Waster
05-01-2012, 4:42 PM
Well, it does look like little rimfire brass flying out.

Snoopy47
05-01-2012, 4:43 PM
Some comments:
1) The recoil spring can be countered by a lower weight spring. Wolf makes them as low as 5 pounds. 18 pounds is around the stock 1911 weight.
2) The conversion barrel on the stock barrel bushing is going to wreak havoc with accuracy.
3) Considering accuracy I would only put it on a slide that has adjustable sights.
4) For this to be perfect, it would need to be custom fitted with a bushing for the conversion barrel and the stock slide. As well, the lock up would need to be fitted as well.

This would be a really great product to be sold WITH the purchase of a higher end target 1911 with adjustable sights, and comes with the gun already fitted to the slide.

With his prototype Hes had the luxury of custom fitting his version to HIS 1911.

Lead Waster
05-01-2012, 4:44 PM
If he's looking for investors, you'd be a pretty dumb investor to not go down and look at it in person and try it out in person. So probably not a scam. Bring your own 1911, try the thingy in in your gun before spending a cent!

trew10
05-01-2012, 4:48 PM
I could be wrong but it looks like his design allows the recoil spring to pass thru the barrel bushing effectively releasing some of the recoil spring tension as if you clipped five or so lops off the spring.

As to why would anyone convert a .45, if you have to ask you prob will never get the benefits of training at a reduced cost with a weapon you are more likely to use. Fr competition cheap drills and reloading. For personal defense the same is true, practice at reduced cost. Imagine if you use a 1911 as your HD weapon, drilling with a thousand rounds every week, I could never afford that with .45.

if the 1911 is for HD it makes sense to use only .45 for practice. yes .45 is way more expensive then .22 but were is the logic to training with .22 if when S.H.T.F your going to be using .45?

GunHo
05-01-2012, 5:00 PM
why in the world would anyone convert a .45 1911 into a .22 ??? you can buy a .22 handgun or rifle for next to nothing.

My thoughts exactly. I bought a .22 conversion kit for my AR, tried once, and sold it immediately. Drossed a .22 rifle that very same day.

gatesbox
05-01-2012, 5:54 PM
if the 1911 is for HD it makes sense to use only .45 for practice. yes .45 is way more expensive then .22 but were is the logic to training with .22 if when S.H.T.F your going to be using .45?

Different strokes for different folks, if there wasn't a demand, there would not already be multiple manufacturers with products on the market for at a premium. There are many ways to train, I don't have anything like this but could see the application. When I have attended professional training movement and transitions have been just as important as squeezing the trigger, im just saying I can see the application. Neither would I be so obtuse as to presume that any method would be useless or for that matter the ultimate solution.