PDA

View Full Version : Registered AW in Nat. Forest?

DougH9
04-30-2007, 1:01 PM
I would like to know if it is legal for me to take a registered AW to shoot (and maybe hunt with) in the National Forest (specifically the Los Padres).

I remember this discusion once before, and have a copy of an old memo that states that it is OK, but have also heard that that memo is outdated (I think it is dated 1991). Does anybody know the current policy?

DedEye
04-30-2007, 1:03 PM
Up at the Glass Factory? Its a range, and you're allowed to take Reg'd AWs to the range, so I'd say yes. I go there with my OLL and the last time I was up there I saw someone who had a Reg'd AW as well.

bwiese
04-30-2007, 1:39 PM
I remember this discusion once before, and have a copy of an old memo that states that it is OK, but have also heard that that memo is outdated (I think it is dated 1991). Does anybody know the current policy?

I'm not sure if Nat'l Forests are BLM land or not - someone can chime in here with what's what (parks, forests, BLM land, etc.)

The memo of which you are speaking likely is the June? July? 2003 BLM memo from Region 5 director, which basically says AWs are fine if they are legal (meaning registered). There was some confusion in memo about SB23 vs Roberti-Roos CA laws, but the bottom line is that if it's legal to shoot, it's legal to shoot legal registered AWs. This letter should be useful as 'express permission' for terms of CA AW law.

Note, however, some BLM lands are jointly operated, or BLM administers some state or county land. Also, some state parks have a ziggy-zaggy border w/BLM land you might step outta bounds - know where you are. These joint operated lands may require non-BLM permission for AW use.

M1A Rifleman
04-30-2007, 2:50 PM
Yes it is legal in the National Forest. The NF is not the same as the BLM, however, it falls under the same Federal jurisdiction, however, State laws do still apply.

Check several NF sites, such as Eldorado NF, and check under target shooting and you will see they allow legal AW's. Bring your paper work and a copy of the target shooting statement I mentioned above, as this should show proof that 1) the AW is legal, and 2) you have permission of the land owner - which is a State requirement under the AW laws.

DougH9
04-30-2007, 3:52 PM
Dedeye-I go to the "GLass Factory" once in a while, and figured that it would probebly be OK to bring an AW there as it is a "designated" shooting area. But my question is whether I could take into the hunting fields a "priceless" AR10.

Bill-The memo I have is dated Nov. 20, 1991. It is from a Ronald E. Stewart. The subject is: Policy on Assault Weapons Legislation.

M1a-Thank you for the good news! I look forward to spending some time afield with my AR's.

DedEye
04-30-2007, 4:01 PM
PM me next time you're heading up to the Glass Factory, there's a few of us Cal Gunners who go up there to shoot.

xenophobe
04-30-2007, 5:08 PM
Bill-The memo I have is dated Nov. 20, 1991. It is from a Ronald E. Stewart. The subject is: Policy on Assault Weapons Legislation.

Where is the memo from? BLM, DOF, NPS?

If possible could you scan the letter, email a scan or pdf of this document?

Oh...

Here's the 2003 US BLM letter, just so you can have it:
http://www.50bmgstore.com/50/CAIM2003-049.pdf

DougH9
05-01-2007, 1:04 PM
Dedeye-Will do. I mostly just go into the forest far away from the roads to shoot without distraction, but sometimes go to the "factory" if I don't have a lot of time (I REALLY wish people would stop using it as a dump, or we are going to lose it).

Xeno-It is from the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Pacific Southwest Regoin. The wording is very similar to the memo you posted (thank you!). I cannot scan this one, but I could fax it if you want. I got it off the Arfcom CA hometown a couple of years ago...if you have acces to their seach feature it might be found that way.

Pthfndr
05-01-2007, 7:11 PM
Here's the NFS AW approval letter. It's sized small for posting here.

For the FULL SIZE one click on the link and you can D/L it from my Photobucket site. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Pthfndr/NFSAWLetter.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Pthfndr/NFSAWLetter2.jpg

metalhead357
05-02-2007, 7:32 PM
I have a NFS Brochure photocopy I'll have to track down and scan......... it says its ok.

Venturing over to the sites its looks like they severely changed stuff; it used to be directly addressed about every other forest site under either FAQ's and or activities and/or General rules.............. all which now dont seem to have it.

-aK-
05-02-2007, 8:51 PM
National Forest should be ok.

National Park would most likely not be ok.

My "ex" camping area was, it turned out in a "state game refuge" which is actually more restrictive than incorporated city. So watch out for that.

You know.. you could always call the rangers office to confirm.

Ford8N
05-03-2007, 6:26 AM
I have a NFS Brochure photocopy I'll have to track down and scan......... it says its ok.

Venturing over to the sites its looks like they severely changed stuff; it used to be directly addressed about every other forest site under either FAQ's and or activities and/or General rules.............. all which now dont seem to have it.

If it is a region wide policy then it applies to all the National Forests in the California region. The Regional Forester(the Big Guy) could change the policy or let the individual Forests set their own rules. If anyone is in San Francisco, they should drop in the Regional office and ask for a copy of Forest policy on legally owned AW use in the NF. Remember, you are dealing with a .gov bureaucracy. You will find that the right hand will not know what the left hand is doing and the head doesn't know what either hand is doing.:p

Nahuatl
05-03-2007, 7:17 AM
Shooting is not permitted in Angeles NF. It's been closed to shooters for decades. These quotes are straight off the Angeles and Los Padres websites. I live in the NF and one of my neighbors was the head ranger (GS14) for many years.

"Two concessionaire-operated shooting areas are located within the Angeles National Forest. These are fee areas under Special Use Permit with the Forest Service, and are the only designated shooting areas within the Angeles National Forest. Designated shooting areas also exist on the Los Padres National Forest (805) 683-6711 as well as large portions of Bureau of Land Management lands (909) 697-5204."

Shooting in Los Padres is arbitrarily open or closed depending on who you talk to. Shoot at your own risk. Take a rifle you don't mind losing.

"Target Shooting

Recreational target shooting is another popular activity. Target shooters should contact their local Ranger District office for information on where target shooting is allowed. Do not discharge firearms from a road, across a road, across a body of water, or within 150 yards of a campground or inhabited area. Respect private property. Use paper targets. Do not use trees, signs, fence posts, glass, plastics or appliances as targets. Always clean up after yourself…pack out all litter. Recreational target shooting may be prohibited during fire season."

"Most areas of the forest are open to hunting; however, certain areas are closed year round to any discharge of firearms for any purpose, including hunting and target shooting. These areas are indicated on the forest Visitor Map as "Restricted Use Areas" and include, but are not limited to, the Sisquoc and Sespe Condor Sanctuaries, several recreation areas, and areas around communities and organization camps."

The phone numbers above are current.

xenophobe
05-03-2007, 9:16 AM
Here's the NFS AW approval letter. It's sized small for posting here.

For the FULL SIZE one click on the link and you can D/L it from my Photobucket site. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/Pthfndr/NFSAWLetter.jpg

Thanks for the letter! Saved to my archive-in-progress.

emcon5
08-23-2011, 1:16 PM
I know this is a really old thread, but giving it a bump primarily because the 1991 memo is posted here, but I have a similar question. I am wondering if anything has changed in the past few years.

Looking to take a registered banned semiautomatic rifle to a designated shooting area in the Tahoe National Forest.

I can't find any reference on either the Tahoe NF page (http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQ oY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjBNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?ss=110517&navtype=forestBean&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&cid=null&ttype=main&pname=Tahoe%20National%20Forest%20-%20Home), the Region 5 (http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/) web site, pr the Calguns Wiki.

Thanks,

Super Chicken
08-23-2011, 3:51 PM
tagged

Rusty Scabbard
08-23-2011, 9:48 PM
I talked to a Ranger doing the weekend shift at the NFS gate near divide peak in June. I asked about target shooting in Las Padres in other places than the glass factory. He advised that target shooting is now limited to a few defined ranges. I have not yet looked up the actual regulation or designated ranges, but have taken him at his word. Too bad though, there were some nice spots along W. Camino Cielo that aren't trashed up or so crowded.
Back to the original question- I think it's legal as others have noted. But I'd be nervous. Unfortunately the occasional LEO may not know the regulations, may not care, and likely would face minimal negative consequences for confiscating your guns in error and/or arresting you. This is not to bash LEO's. But if they get it wrong, you're the one who gets pooched. Winchester range is a great place. 200 yd range available and not too expensive to become a member.
Ditto's on not using the ranges as dumps. It's a shame to see them closing (i.e. Cherry Creek this month....), and when I see all the crap building up there I actual agree that the 'anti's have a valid point.

MudCamper
08-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure if Nat'l Forests are BLM land or not - someone can chime in here with what's what (parks, forests, BLM land, etc.)

Yes it is legal in the National Forest. The NF is not the same as the BLM, however, it falls under the same Federal jurisdiction, however, State laws do still apply.

NF and BLM are run by completely different federal agencies. NF is under the Department of Agriculture. BLM is under the Department of the Interior.

See Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

But I'd be nervous. Unfortunately the occasional LEO may not know the regulations, may not care, and likely would face minimal negative consequences for confiscating your guns in error and/or arresting you.

We all need to take action to correct this. See Oaklander's thread on this. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=418190) Carry copies of our USFS/BLM Incident Report Form (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=93345&d=1302389416), get the names of the federal LEO and fill out the form right in front of them.

M1A Rifleman
08-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I was up target shooting in the Tahoe/Plumas NF several times this August. No issues, didn't even see a ranger and I was just below a staffed Fire Look-out so I know they could hear the gun fire. :)

vincewarde
08-24-2011, 1:34 PM
I was up target shooting in the Tahoe/Plumas NF several times this August. No issues, didn't even see a ranger and I was just below a staffed Fire Look-out so I know they could hear the gun fire. :)

Ditto for El Dorado NF - wife and I shoot there all the time.