PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ways the Media Doesn’t Understand Gun Owners

frankDmole
05-01-2012, 3:03 PM
Not sure if dupe, but found this article mostly about the NY Media, but I think it applies to all Media.
-------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2877530/posts

8 Ways the Media Doesn’t Understand Gun Owners
dailycaller.com ^ | 27 April, 2012 | Kyle Wintersteen
Posted on Sat Apr 28 2012 08:01:34 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time) by marktwain

This is a dire situation: I have three anti-gun media hit pieces left to read, and I’m down to my last antacid. I normally ration them, but that last story was a real doozy. Why endure such torture? If you can grasp the mindset of someone who fears gun ownership—who doesn’t even trust himself with the right, let alone you—you’ll be better equipped to articulate your point of view. The more we’re familiar with the other side’s argument, misguided as it may be, the better equipped we are to defeat it.

Thanks to Kyle Wintersteen and Guns & Ammo for writing this article!

Please do not post whole articles - see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=363956

We are still in the "one (short) paragraph and a link is low-risk." mode, despite appropriate legal action against the major risk provider. Righthaven is not the only offender…

In this case, Guns & Ammo (http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/04/26/media-gun-coverage/) might not actually complain, but they do have the copyright notice on their web page, so without explicit permission, shouldn't post the whole thing.

See the stickies http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=394912

// Librarian

Army
05-01-2012, 3:12 PM
Thing is, they DO know exactly what they are writing. The more sensationalized the words, the more ignorance is spread to people that honestly don't know.

"Spray fire assault rifle" sounds much more scary to Ma Kettle than does "fun in the sun gun". The progressive left has always known this , and have always exploited it. The Brady's have an FFL, do you really think they have no idea what gun is what?

The big lie. That's what it's all about.

ja308
05-01-2012, 3:18 PM
These media liars should be required to register as agents of a foreign GOVT.

Theirs is an agenda to take away ALL our rights ,starting with 2A .

vantec08
05-01-2012, 3:26 PM
The factual errors of the entire anti crowd have been chanted like a mantra for so long it has taken on a life of its own. That tells me that somewhere along the line, somebody(s) know exactly what they're doing.

orthopod
05-01-2012, 3:41 PM
I really like reading the economist but was not happy with how they portrayed gun owners and the NRA last week. The one picture they used in the article was of a really fat
White guy with a shaved head goatee tons of
Tattoos holding up an ar15. Nothing wrong with looking like that but the way they used it as a stereotype to polarize readers was terrible. they could have used hickok45 instead:) or maybe a handsome Latino doctor/surgeon holding up an ar15;) I've been heading to the range every weekend and see that we come in all shapes and sizes and overall looks
And aren't all tattooed all
Over skin head looking guys...again nothing wrong with that just the stereotype that the liberal media wants people to have of gun owners.

SilverTauron
05-01-2012, 4:07 PM
The "Media" has always been anti gun.

I posted an article last month on British media writing about "assault weapons". The article was written in 1896 about a Webley self-cocking revolver and its dangerous 'quick fire' ability.

The bottom line is that an article written about responsible gun ownership ranks a 'meh'. A story about a guy who observes the 4 Rules for 87 years is unlikely to boost subscriptions or increase sagging advertising revenue.

If you write a story about an "ASSAULT WEAPON" and spin it to be a social ill that needs to be fixed by Big Government,why, the possibilities are endless! Social controversy! Arguements! Senators and politicians on TV quoting your article!More Viewers! Articles citing the original article! Oh look at that, Senator so-and-so just introduced a law based on your story. Hello Pulitzer, fame, glitz, photos, free booze, hot women, and a place at the academic table of immortality.

I despise the direction the media takes currently on a lot of issues, but I have to grudgingly respect their hustle when it comes to writing inflammatory stories on firearms. Its a tried and true express lane to fame and notoriety.

stix213
05-01-2012, 5:20 PM
If this belongs in any thread, it belongs here ;)

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zdy9zs.jpg

Dreaded Claymore
05-01-2012, 6:15 PM
The "Media" has always been anti gun.

I posted an article last month on British media writing about "assault weapons". The article was written in 1896 about a Webley self-cocking revolver and its dangerous 'quick fire' ability.

The bottom line is that an article written about responsible gun ownership ranks a 'meh'. A story about a guy who observes the 4 Rules for 87 years is unlikely to boost subscriptions or increase sagging advertising revenue.

If you write a story about an "ASSAULT WEAPON" and spin it to be a social ill that needs to be fixed by Big Government,why, the possibilities are endless! Social controversy! Arguements! Senators and politicians on TV quoting your article!More Viewers! Articles citing the original article! Oh look at that, Senator so-and-so just introduced a law based on your story. Hello Pulitzer, fame, glitz, photos, free booze, hot women, and a place at the academic table of immortality.

I despise the direction the media takes currently on a lot of issues, but I have to grudgingly respect their hustle when it comes to writing inflammatory stories on firearms. Its a tried and true express lane to fame and notoriety.

Quoted for truth. The media has only one significant bias: pro-controversy. One way they achieve this is by being anti-gun, but it's not because they hate guns, it's just because they want to sell more papers.

formerTexan
05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Quoted for truth. The media has only one significant bias: pro-controversy. One way they achieve this is by being anti-gun, but it's not because they hate guns, it's just because they want to sell more papers.

If they are simply not anti-gun, but wants to sell papers, then wouldn't they publish more articles like gun reviews, tips for keeping your gun clean, etc, much like how newspapers publish car reviews, or "home and garden" how-to articles? A lot of gun owners do not read gun magazines, just like many car owners don't read magazines like Car & Driver, etc, so why not?

My answer, they (the legacy national media) are made up of mostly left-leaning anti-gun people, and tend over-report crimes committed by a criminal possessing a firearm, while reporting good-guy-uses-gun only once in a while, and only when the good-guy is what they consider an atypical gun owner. This neatly explains why we didn't hear about a shooting stopped at Appalachain College Law School in Virginia in 2002 by 2 people who got their guns from their cars. Or how about a more recent example, WI got concealed carry, and within one month, had this:
http://www.wisn.com/Customer-Stops-Grocery-Store-Robbery-By-Shooting-Suspect-Police-Say/-/9374034/10936560/-/dcpmr/-/index.html

Edit, is google biased now? this is what I got for the search in the pic, first two links from a anti-gun rights group:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=147909&stc=1&d=1335936685

Bill Carson
05-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Only 8 ?

DannyInSoCal
05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
If they are simply not anti-gun, but wants to sell papers, then wouldn't they publish more articles like gun reviews, tips for keeping your gun clean, etc, much like how newspapers publish car reviews, or "home and garden" how-to articles? A lot of gun owners do not read gun magazines, just like many car owners don't read magazines like Car & Driver, etc, so why not?

My answer, they (the legacy national media) are made up of mostly left-leaning anti-gun people, and tend over-report crimes committed by a criminal possessing a firearm, while reporting good-guy-uses-gun only once in a while, and only when the good-guy is what they consider an atypical gun owner. This neatly explains why we didn't hear about a shooting stopped at Appalachain College Law School in Virginia in 2002 by 2 people who got their guns from their cars. Or how about a more recent example, WI got concealed carry, and within one month, had this:
http://www.wisn.com/Customer-Stops-Grocery-Store-Robbery-By-Shooting-Suspect-Police-Say/-/9374034/10936560/-/dcpmr/-/index.html

Edit, is google biased now? this is what I got for the search in the pic, first two links from a anti-gun rights group:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=147909&stc=1&d=1335936685

With the millions pumped into the NRA every year -

You'd expect the NRA to be dominating all gun related searches -

With Pro2A links.

But I guess not...

frankDmole
05-02-2012, 9:22 AM

Not sure that it is Google that is biased, or that site has some clever Web Master.
They even have NRA key words on the main page...Pro gun sites need to get on the ball.

Lacunacraft
05-02-2012, 8:59 PM
The media bias won't change until the stations and media are punished for running BS like the bullet button story on channel 5 here in the bay area. Oaklander is right in that we are winning the hearts and minds as evidenced by that pew research poll data and the comments on the site.

It is just really depressing that we still have to react to this BS in this day and age when a simple google can correct there fundamental mistakes about guns. Oh well, good thing traditional media is slowly dying

SilverTauron
05-02-2012, 9:13 PM
. Oh well, good thing traditional media is slowly dying

This is the crux of why such problems will become worse with time.

I haven't watched a news program on TV since I left Chicago last Christmas. Judging by the number of young people's viewing habits lately, im not alone. Give it ten years, and traditional TV media will be on life support. Print and TV media as we knew it in the past is going the down the path of the typewriter & cassette tapes, and the smarter media moguls know the writings on the wall.

Look for more inflammatory and out of touch hit pieces like this as the rigid media institutions twtich in their death throes. Im confident in stating that kids in a decade or two will wonder why anyone would bother reading or watching the news, when you can just read it anytime you like on a mobile or computer.

ClarenceBoddicker
05-02-2012, 10:39 PM
The media is only a business albeit a big business, controlled by a few Wall Street/Park Ave elite. They are only doing the bidding of their masters. The concept of journalistic integrity is a joke. The idea is not to report the facts, but to change pubic perception. The media along with most schools and government are the largest decimatetors of propaganda in the US. They care nothing about facts/honesty/morality/integrity, only money from subscriptions/ads/enrollment/funding/taxes/votes/power. They are fully aware that the dummy public will buy anything they are told. The sad part is that some branches of the media are government regulated, but those regulatory powers are sadly wasted. It would be very easy to require that media, that uses publicly owned domains like the internet, to allow rebuttals on segments published. I'm talking about an official rebuttal, not a letter to the editor, phone calls or some comments at the bottom of the page. Of course who would oppose a common sense measure like that? The Republican & Democrat parties for one. Check out their reaction to attempts for equal access in talk radio for one example.

The media is just following orders from above: make gun owners look like nut jobs. Both parties thrive off of conflict & both would rather see the public safely disarmed.

ja308
05-03-2012, 8:36 AM

You nailed it ! well written and stated .
for the above reasons we will never buy an anti gun ,paper or magazine !
Your post carries even more credibilty as Texans have learned how to win politically .

Arondos
05-03-2012, 9:00 AM
I learned at about age 20 when I became a nuclear power plant operator in the Navy that the media/Hollywood is clueless on that they report.

How many movies or reporters have you seen/heard say "The reactor went critical" and make it sound like a problem.

Critical is where a reactor normally operates when producing power.

Pixs
05-03-2012, 9:39 AM
I noticed that there were no quotes around shooting stopped by concealed permit holder so I tried that. This is the only difference to the posted screen shot: Information No results found for "shooting stopped by concealed permit holder". Switch to Yahoo search!

ja308
05-03-2012, 11:33 AM
I noticed that there were no quotes around shooting stopped by concealed permit holder so I tried that. This is the only difference to the posted screen shot: Information No results found for "shooting stopped by concealed permit holder". Switch to Yahoo search!

i will switch to yahoo search -thank you for the tip:D