PDA

View Full Version : Gun parts (e.g.: upper, lower) legal on college campus?

SouthpawE46
05-01-2012, 1:58 PM
Would a disassembled AR15 be considered a firearm?

A complete upper and a complete lower with no magazine at all.

What about ammunition?

Discuss.

Glock22Fan
05-01-2012, 2:01 PM
Whether it is legal or not, you are risking getting thrown out of college at most campuses (campi?) I know.

Right or wrong, that's the way it is in California.

curtisfong
05-01-2012, 2:09 PM
The law has no say on what you can get booted for.

Don't like it? Get involved in campus politics.

berto
05-01-2012, 2:17 PM
Your lower is most likely serialized and a firearm. Your upper is most likely parts. Ammo is ammo. Your campus likely has rules regarding such things and those rules may put you in peril even though fed, state, and local law do not. That peril may include being asked to leave for the day, eviction from campus housing, suspension, or expulsion. I suggest you examine USD policies regarding weapons and making other folks uncomfortable. Only you can weigh your comfort level with school policy, the liklihood you may run afoul of such policy, and the consequences for doing so.

Blackhawk556
05-01-2012, 2:34 PM
Why do you want parts at school? It's not like the parts will allow you to defend yourself if something pops up. I really don't see the point of taking parts with you. Unless you're driving somewhere right after school and you need them with you.

SilverTauron
05-01-2012, 2:47 PM
Would a disassembled AR15 be considered a firearm?

A complete upper and a complete lower with no magazine at all.

What about ammunition?

Discuss.

Yes.

Si.

Da.

Hai.

Oui.

I go to college in flyover country , and even in Free America firearms, ammunition, parts,knives, anything -including Nerf Guns-are banned on college campuses. Concealed carry is shall issue up here , but legal carry on campus is verboten.

Let the college administrators find out you have an AR15 in your room, and the news headline 24 hours later will read thus:

"College Student with Assault Weapon Arrested. -Police executed a raid in the campus apartment building and seized an assault rilfe.The university was placed on lockdown for "precautionary" reasons as soon as Police received a tip from the owner's ex girlfriend that he kept the weapon in the room.The owner has been arrested and the local prosecutor has promised to "throw the book at him".

hvengel
05-01-2012, 3:32 PM

I go to college in flyover country , and even in Free America firearms, ammunition, parts,knives, anything -including Nerf Guns-are banned on college campuses. Concealed carry is shall issue up here , but legal carry on campus is verboten...

It depends on where you are. In some states like Utah you CAN conceal carry on campus even if you are a student. And Utah is not the only sate where this is true. But the above it true for most states.

SDS-Ruger
05-01-2012, 3:40 PM
What are you wanting to have parts for on campus? unless you are trying to work on something in the machine shop, then just bring the part that you need and leave the rest at home.

stix213
05-01-2012, 3:59 PM
Yes the lower is a legal firearm. Upper probably comes down to campus rules.

I suggest getting some of your friends together and renting off campus.

JeremyKX
05-01-2012, 6:18 PM
UCSB student here. You can NOT have weapon parts on campus. Don't even try it. You get caught, you can guarantee that you will be kicked out.

SuperMachoMan
05-01-2012, 6:43 PM
UCSB student here. You can NOT have weapon parts on campus. Don't even try it. You get caught, you can guarantee that you will be kicked out.

lol, I thought I was the only person in Isla Vista (assuming you live in IV) who lurked on CalGuns :D

As for the issue of firearm parts on campus, I would advise against it. Don't give the college policy makers a reason to give you the boot, not worth the hassle

SouthpawE46
05-01-2012, 8:05 PM
The reason for me asking was stated above.

I'm going to pick it up between classes and don't have time to drop it off at my parents' house 30 miles away.

Thanks for the answers. I'm already pretty involved with campus politics, and participated in the open holster week, and got some looks, both approving and disapproving.

SilverTauron
05-01-2012, 8:24 PM

I'm going to pick it up between classes and don't have time to drop it off at my parents' house 30 miles away.

Thanks for the answers. I'm already pretty involved with campus politics, and participated in the open holster week, and got some looks, both approving and disapproving.

From :http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/coordrev/policy/8-16-99gun.html

The California Gun Free School Zone Act of 1995 prohibited the transportation and possession of firearms on school grounds or within school zones, including property of the University of California. This legislation and its amendments, chaptered in California Penal Code 626.9 states, in relevant part:

Any person who brings or possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or administration by, a public or private university or college, that are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it is with the written permission of the university or college president . . . shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years. Cal. Penal Code 626.9(h)

Similar prohibitions apply to the transportation and possession of unloaded firearms. Assembly Bill 2609, enacted in 1998, specified that the law applies to off-site University properties that may not be a part of a central campus or contiguous to a campus, such as off-site student dormitories, field stations, and the Natural Reserve System (NRS). Notably, with respect to residences, only student housing is covered; faculty housing remains unaffected by this law.

The law also requires that the University post a prominent notice at primary entrances to all clearly marked noncontiguous property stating that unauthorized transportation and possession of firearms on University-owned or operated property is prohibited pursuant to California Penal Code Section 626.9. To comply with this new requirement, each Chancellor shall make arrangements to post appropriate signage at subject property.

BucDan
05-01-2012, 8:41 PM
I was going to ask this question a while back on here about taking an AR-15 upper to do a speech on it and about the gun laws in the state, but I didn't want to rish it :)

curtisfong
05-01-2012, 8:51 PM
I don't see why the law is relevant if even owning parts can get you kicked out of school, permanently.

Librarian
05-01-2012, 8:59 PM
I don't see why the law is relevant if even owning parts can get you kicked out of school, permanently.

Not merely owning, but having on school property, I think.

Different lines of authority - one criminal, one civil (I guess).

There's a reasonable likelihood that conviction of a criminal act on campus or school property might also get one the administrative punishment of expulsion. But one might just be dismissed from school housing, and still allowed to attend school.

SilverTauron
05-01-2012, 9:40 PM
Not merely owning, but having on school property, I think.

Different lines of authority - one criminal, one civil (I guess).

There's a reasonable likelihood that conviction of a criminal act on campus or school property might also get one the administrative punishment of expulsion. But one might just be dismissed from school housing, and still allowed to attend school.

The college *usually* has an administrative punishment process in place for violations of policy and law.Its put in place to control students who drink and do dumb college things on campus, but for something firearm related I can see the college skipping the subtle stuff and going directly to expulsion, if only for their own job security.What would it look like if an actual shooting took place and it became public knowledge that in the past they let a student caught with an AR15 walk ?

berto
05-01-2012, 9:48 PM

Locked in your trunk and parked off campus works.

SouthpawE46
05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Locked in your trunk and parked off campus works.

True, but I'd feel much safer with it in my room. Much harder to steal.

And wow. I had no idea the restrictions were THAT harsh.

9mmrevolver
05-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Never had time but my machine shop teacher told me I could make anything for a gun besides the receiver. It was at a community college. Man I wish I would have time. I've wanted to build my own muzzle breaks for a while now. Louder the better. Too many students not enough lathes and only 2 end mills. He wouldn't let anyone touch the only cnc machine. Looked like it hadn't been used in a while.

Lugiahua
05-02-2012, 1:44 AM

You have to realized that college students/faculty in this state are second class citizens, can't even transport firearms on campus.

I wonder how is it not unconstitutional by making it illegal to transport firearms through private property(private colleges)?

berto
05-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Skip class? Or conduct your business at a better time.