PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Trunk Gun ~ Loaded mags not inserted OK or NOT?

insin
05-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Hello all,
Hypothetically I I were to keep a rifle in the truck/cab (stowed away in a case) with loaded up mags, but mags not inserted into gun, would this be legal? If it were a m1a carbine, normal stock, no mags inserted into weapon, but legal 10 round magazines loaded up with 10 rounds in the same carrying case, would the fact that this is a rifle and not a pistol make this acceptable? What if it were obviously locked in a trunk of a car? What about, if it where in the rear of an SUV, that does not have a lockable trunk?

Thank you

RazzB7
05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Doesn't matter if it's a rifle or a pistol. Loaded mags in same container as weapon is good-to-go.

sd_fox_racer
05-01-2012, 1:04 PM
rifle or pistol as long as the loaded magazine is not inserted in the weapon your good to go

Scarecrow Repair
05-01-2012, 1:10 PM
Might want to have an empty mag inserted just so a loaded mag doesn't magically wander in by mistake while the cops are checking things out. A corrupt cop can always swap mags, but that's not the problem; it's one cop who puts a mag in without thinking, just to see if it fits, and another cop who happens to find it that way. Just fumbling incompetence, not malice aforethought.

Munk
05-01-2012, 1:11 PM
Locked container + Unloaded firearm = Always good to go. Mag placement is irrelevant. Mags may be in container, out of container, next to container, just NOT in the firearm.

tnavressdog
05-01-2012, 1:20 PM
Locked container + Unloaded firearm = Always good to go. Mag placement is irrelevant. Mags may be in container, out of container, next to container, just NOT in the firearm.

From what I have read in the law, the above is correct. I often carry three rifles locked in soft cases and strapped to my motorcycle to the range. No issues yet and I've ridden right in front of cops. From what I've read, if you're not in a school zone, you can even open carry long guns legally, no lock required.

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
05-01-2012, 1:22 PM
Doesn't matter if it's a rifle or a pistol. Loaded mags in same container as weapon is good-to-go.

FUD. Read quote below.

Librarian
05-01-2012, 1:38 PM
Asked and answered. See also the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting