PDA

View Full Version : 1911 9mm Performance

GunHo
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
We all know that a real 1911 is made to shoot a .45acp. And because of the 1911's platform popularity, the latest trend has been the 1911 9mm. The common reason for this trend is due to cost effectiveness, which is the reason I bought one. Yes, we all agree itís cheaper to shoot a 9mm, but how about the performance of a smaller caliber (9mm or 38) on a 1911 platform, which I have not read much about.

Would like to hear from other owners and their thoughts; especially from those who own both, 1911 9mm or 38 and .45. Thanks for sharing.

daybreak
05-01-2012, 1:00 PM
are you asking if it's reliable, or if it's more or less lethal in a 1911 vs any other gun?

BoJackUSMC
05-01-2012, 1:06 PM
9mm 1911 very fun gun to shoot.

GunHo
05-01-2012, 1:14 PM
Not so much on reliability and stopping power, but more on feel and grouping results. Looking to hear from other owners and their comparison with shooting a .45acp. Reason being, I'm in the market for another 1911 and debating on a .45 or another 9mm.

InGrAM
05-01-2012, 1:23 PM
A .45 1911 is going to be more accurate than a 9mm one. (of the same quality 1911) .45's are inherently more accurate, not by much but they are.

For "shootability" it is hard to beat, IMO. Very little recoil which equates into most of it's benefits, other than cost of use. (ammo costs of .45 and 9mm.) They are reliable and do not need more "work."(at least in my experience) That mentality comes from the "purist" crowd, IMO. The crowd that thinks a 1911 has to be $3000+ and worked on by a world renowned gun smith to function properly.

Like others have said, a 1911 in 9mm is VERY fun and worth owning. The few that do not like 1911's in 9mm I would say, either have no experience with them or are simply too set in their ways to think a 1911 could be anything other than a .45 caliber pistol.

This is not a new trend, BTW. 1911's have been made in many different calibers over the years.

1911Luvr
05-01-2012, 1:29 PM
As long as the lock up is tight between the barrel lugs as well as the bushing, it should outshoot most other 9mm platforms available.

Capt Jack
05-01-2012, 1:32 PM
I just shot my friend's RIA 9mm 1911 and think its a great platform for the round. Saying a 1911 can only be a .45 is like saying an AR can only be 5.56 which is obviously lame. That being said, the correct Calguns answer is to get both!

Press Check
05-01-2012, 1:57 PM
We all know that a real 1911 is made to shoot a .45acp. And because of the 1911's platform popularity, the latest trend has been the 1911 9mm. The common reason for this trend is due to cost effectiveness, which is the reason I bought one. Yes, we all agree it’s cheaper to shoot a 9mm, but how about the performance of a smaller caliber (9mm or 38) on a 1911 platform, which I have not read much about.

If I'm not mistaken, the first Colt 1911 chambered in 9mm debuted in 1949, more than a half century ago, so there's nothing new about this, nor the cost effectiveness associated with the platform.

We all know that the original 1911 is made to shoot a .45acp.

I fixed that statement for you.

GunHo
05-01-2012, 2:00 PM
This is not a new trend, BTW. 1911's have been made in many different calibers over the years.

True that! As a rookie, I mention new trend because some major manufacturers like Sig Sauer are now making them.

InGrAM
05-01-2012, 2:54 PM
True that! As a rookie, I mention new trend because some major manufacturers like Sig Sauer are now making them.

Yeah, that is true. It wasn't until very recently that every major player in the pistol industry started making a 1911 of their own. There is a lot of money to be made in the 1911 market, people just can't get enough of them. That is why most companies have a 9mm 1911 and the good ones have multiple calibers: 9mm, 38super, 40S&W and .45. :D gotta love the diversity.

trew10
05-01-2012, 2:58 PM
We all know that a real 1911 is made to shoot a .45acp. And because of the 1911's platform popularity, the latest trend has been the 1911 9mm. The common reason for this trend is due to cost effectiveness, which is the reason I bought one. Yes, we all agree itís cheaper to shoot a 9mm, but how about the performance of a smaller caliber (9mm or 38) on a 1911 platform, which I have not read much about.

Would like to hear from other owners and their thoughts; especially from those who own both, 1911 9mm or 38 and .45. Thanks for sharing.

you should have just bought a Ruger p89. its an older model but same look and feel of a 1911.

trew10
05-01-2012, 3:04 PM
Not so much on reliability and stopping power, but more on feel and grouping results. Looking to hear from other owners and their comparison with shooting a .45acp. Reason being, I'm in the market for another 1911 and debating on a .45 or another 9mm.

if soldiers out at war can avoid getting killed by an R.P.G attack, does it really matter if its a 9mm or .45 lcp. its all about shot placement. I bet you can kill a person with a .22lr if placed in the right spot. do you guys watch swamp people? a 600lb gator stopped dead in its tracks with .22lr. just something to think about.

foxtrotuniformlima
05-01-2012, 3:08 PM
The 9mm & 38 super have been very popular with the USPSA crowd for well over a decade. In the competition world, if it isn't reliable 100%, it goes away.

I've had several 1911 / 2011 guns in 9x19. I'd have another if I was still competing every month.

Soul_Cal
05-01-2012, 3:25 PM
The 9mm & 38 super have been very popular with the USPSA crowd for well over a decade. In the competition world, if it isn't reliable 100%, it goes away.

+1

My next 1911 might be in .40 S&W :rolleyes:

keenkeen
05-01-2012, 4:49 PM
A .45 1911 is going to be more accurate than a 9mm one. (of the same quality 1911) .45's are inherently more accurate, not by much but they are.

Can you expalin why this is? Not doubting you, just wondering what the reasons are for 45acp being more accurate than 9mm.

Press Check
05-01-2012, 5:13 PM
Can you expalin why this is? Not doubting you, just wondering what the reasons are for 45acp being more accurate than 9mm.

I disagreed with that statement altogether, but if I were to play devils advocate and questions that statements merit, I would have asked at what range is the 45ACP round considered to be inherently more accurate than the 9mm. All things considered, same quality firearm and same quality load, the only difference is going to be physics and velocity.

razr
05-01-2012, 5:34 PM
Fun to shoot, less expensive. I'll get double feeds when I shoot fast but they are entertaining. I still like the feel of a 45.

ih8ca
05-01-2012, 6:55 PM
I love my kimber 9mm. It is an awesome gun to shoot.

JNunez23
05-01-2012, 7:25 PM
My favorite gun is a 1911 in 9mm, it's a STI Guardian. I get that's it not a .45, the platform the 1911 was designed for. But never the less, I am the most accurate with the STI.

Feels ergonomically right, and cheaper to shoot. I actually am looking for another 1911 in 9mm that I can use for longer range trips. Anyone have any recommendations??

InGrAM
05-01-2012, 7:31 PM

It is old school common knowledge, but with today's advances in ammo it might not be the case anymore, who knows. From personal experience, Years upon years of reading gun magazines/reloading books/etc.., and shooting hand guns. I agree with the ".45 is marginally more accurate than 9mm" crowd out there. You can choose to believe what you want, but It is not a direct answer from "google" type topic.

and here is a cute thread from awhile back on the subject.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=48418

brian5271
05-01-2012, 10:44 PM

Rule of thumb is that a heavier, slower bullet will be more accurate than a lighter, faster bullet; But you are talking about a very small difference. If you are shooting precision bulls eye type competitions than you will see the difference. If you are talking about target shooting or self defense, there is no practical difference in accuracy. A 9mm will shoot more accurately than most people can shoot.

keenkeen
05-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Rule of thumb is that a heavier, slower bullet will be more accurate than a lighter, faster bullet; But you are talking about a very small difference. If you are shooting precision bulls eye type competitions than you will see the difference. If you are talking about target shooting or self defense, there is no practical difference in accuracy. A 9mm will shoot more accurately than most people can shoot.

Makes a lot of sense...

Thank you for the info.

JackRydden224
05-01-2012, 11:30 PM

Well put. All my guns can out shoot me. If it comes down to a scientific difference I wonder how many people in the world can actually push the gun that far to the point where their accuracy is depending on the cartridge.

Reading these posts have really assured me that there is nothing wrong with getting a 1911 in the 9mm. I would get more practice time and more practice time will make me a better shooter.

GunHo
05-02-2012, 7:42 AM
Despite the minuscule difference in accuracy, the 1911 platform in a 9mm offers the perfect balance for intermediates shooters like me that will unlikely go pass shooting paper at the range or do any competitive shooting. I’ve held many pistols and the 1911 just feels right. After reading everyone’s post, it appears to be a unanimous optimism with owners, which is convincing enough to get another 1911 in a 9mm instead of a .45.

gorenut
05-02-2012, 8:52 AM
As per 45 ACP is more accurate than 9mm.. I often wonder if most of it is more about perception. I'm sure if you get down to the science, there might be some minute differences... but it seems more often to me that people just go based on what they see during their range experience. What I'm talking about here is that the same size grouping made by a 45 might look like its more accurate than the 9mm because the bullet is bigger and creates bigger holes... as a result, you see more holes touching each other appearing to look like better groupings.

GunHo
05-02-2012, 9:53 AM
if soldiers out at war can avoid getting killed by an R.P.G attack, does it really matter if its a 9mm or .45 lcp. its all about shot placement. I bet you can kill a person with a .22lr if placed in the right spot. do you guys watch swamp people? a 600lb gator stopped dead in its tracks with .22lr. just something to think about.

It's fun to read post from war savvy combatants. I got your point and thank you. But I'm an outright freshman barely hitting puberty with guns and I'm just looking to punch holes in paper; although the thought of using my guns for defense has crossed my mind. For that matter, why even fiddle with pistols if all hell breaks loose? In war, why not remove the bullet button on an AR15 and drop in a 30 round clip.

JackRydden224
05-02-2012, 10:10 AM
As per 45 ACP is more accurate than 9mm.. I often wonder if most of it is more about perception. I'm sure if you get down to the science, there might be some minute differences... but it seems more often to me that people just go based on what they see during their range experience. What I'm talking about here is that the same size grouping made by a 45 might look like its more accurate than the 9mm because the bullet is bigger and creates bigger holes... as a result, you see more holes touching each other appearing to look like better groupings.

Science and practical shooting are two different things in my opinion. I mean is there really a difference in home defense if you get hit the head dead center or 1/8 of an inch to the left? No, there isn't.

And really, how many of us are so perfect in our technique that when we miss by a fraction we can confidently say that it's because of the cartridge?

bubbapug1
05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I have 2 - 1911 9mm's. One is an STI 9mm major, the other, a standard loaded springfield. Both required springs of a different weight to be totally reliable, and both now shoot great.

I think for fast shooting a 9mm will outperfrom a 45 time after time as the recoil is less and the shooter is able to get on target much faster. I am not alone in this opinion, almost all of the so called "experts" like enos and Latham have said the same.

I also think the 9mm bullet in itself is a better bullet with regard to ballistics in flight, hence it will out perform the bumble bee like 45 acp.

To shoot a 1911 9mm is a dream, the recoil is negligable, but the slide does seem to work in a slower manner than with a regualr 45.

I also have a springfleild EMP, which is really a scaled down 1911 to accomodate the 9mm round. The emp is excellent shooting, but required more than 400 rounds down the pipe to loosen up and become reliable. I cannot even get close to the EMP groups with my glock 26, although they are in the same frame and barrel size. The EMP weights about twice as much however!

All guns are a trade off, but for target shooting or tactical competitive shooting, I would opt for a 9mm 1911 over the 45 acp.

KandyRedCoi
05-02-2012, 10:42 AM
i am just recently diving into the 1911 other than .45acp

ive thought of a 9mm 1911 for quite sometime...for the same reasons most of us "regular" folks have...low ammo cost = more practice time = better shooter

but more plain ole fun, now i want a 1911 in almost every cartridge available...9mm, 38spr, 10mm, maybe even the 50 conversion :) and of course in 22lr

gorenut
05-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Science and practical shooting are two different things in my opinion. I mean is there really a difference in home defense if you get hit the head dead center or 1/8 of an inch to the left? No, there isn't.

And really, how many of us are so perfect in our technique that when we miss by a fraction we can confidently say that it's because of the cartridge?

Oh, I'm with you on that.. but I'm just talking about people who are so proud about their groupings with a 45 and then not as much with a smaller caliber - then writing home about how the 45 just makes them feel better overall.

GunHo
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
All guns are a trade off, but for target shooting or tactical competitive shooting, I would opt for a 9mm 1911 over the 45 acp.

That's what I'm talking about. My guns are for exactly that, "target shooting or tactical competitive shooting". Maybe in a perfect world where there are zombies to shoot at; maybe then, I'll consider the bigger .45 bullet.

By the way, I too have the springfield 1911 9mm load (9134) with adjustable sights. I am just amazed with the smooth action of the slide. Maybe it's because of the lighter recoil spring that gives it that slow motion cycle. So now, I want 2 also but I'm worried my next 1911 9mm won't be as smooth. That being said, how does your STI 1911 9mm compare with the springfield? Do all 1911 9mm feel the same, feel better or less? I know they are cheap, but I'm considering the Rock Island 1911 9mm 2 tone as my 2nd just so I don't work and wear down my SA too much. Appreciate your input. Thanks

JTROKS
05-02-2012, 3:03 PM
I got a Springfield 1911 Loaded Target in 9mm and this gun just became my favorite. When I want to shoot Bullseye format casual shooting this and my Caspian Arms build in 40 always goes into the range bag more often than any pistol I got. It is decent out of the box, but it has been so much fun doing the customization myself. This one has the NM prefix serial #. I haven't really benched tested it for accuracy but I've been rewarded with 2" 25 yard groups. Its been very reliable with any mags I've used with it. I have to find a way to turn those 9 rounders to hold 10. I did fondle a Kimber in 9mm and she felt tighter than my Springer. All I can say is all the shops I've been to that has them in stock are asking so much for them due to high demand. I was shocked to see a SA or Kimber 1911 target 9mm going for more than $1200.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/DSC06413.jpg

Sunday
05-02-2012, 7:08 PM
Real 1911 shoot 45 acp , 38 super and 9mm!!!

aghauler
05-02-2012, 7:34 PM
you should have just bought a Ruger p89. its an older model but same look and feel of a 1911.

My P89 has a double stack mag so the grip is wider than my 1911A1's, plus the grip feels a little shorter that the 1911A1, but I've never measured them.

GunHo
05-03-2012, 9:34 AM
I got a Springfield 1911 Loaded Target in 9mm and this gun just became my favorite. When I want to shoot Bullseye format casual shooting this and my Caspian Arms build in 40 always goes into the range bag more often than any pistol I got. It is decent out of the box, but it has been so much fun doing the customization myself. This one has the NM prefix serial #. I haven't really benched tested it for accuracy but I've been rewarded with 2" 25 yard groups. Its been very reliable with any mags I've used with it. I have to find a way to turn those 9 rounders to hold 10. I did fondle a Kimber in 9mm and she felt tighter than my Springer. All I can say is all the shops I've been to that has them in stock are asking so much for them due to high demand. I was shocked to see a SA or Kimber 1911 target 9mm going for more than $1200.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/DSC06413.jpg

Yes, I have the exact same gun and it also became my favorite. I'm jealous of the upgrades you did. Magwell and new front sight. I see that you also added a button on the mag release. The only upgrade I did was adding alumagrips. I couldn't stand the wood grips it came with. The only other upgrade I want to do is the front sight. Any suggestions?

wsimp
05-07-2012, 7:30 PM
Go to Dawson for the best front sights. I had them put one on each of my three Kimbers. 45,38 super, and 9mm