View Full Version : Out of state handgun.

05-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Short time lurker, first time poster here.

I did some searching around but did not come across a clear answer to my dilemma, so maybe a few of you experts can help me out.

I moved to LA about 10yrs ago and brought along with me a Ruger GP-100 that I've never registered. I understand that the law required me to register within 60 days but I'm just a little out of that time frame now:o.

I really want to get this gun registered but I have no sales receipts or anything like that, so what are my options?

Thanks for any help!

05-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Fill out the form for a Personal Handgun Importer an send it in with the fee.

05-01-2012, 1:33 PM
Fill out the form for a Personal Handgun Importer an send it in with the fee.

Yep, that's it. http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf?

No foul if the way DOJ finds out about the gun is the document registering it.

05-01-2012, 1:35 PM
Edit: Apparently its the new resident form that Librarian posted, not the volreg I posted. I will defer to him

Send in the Volreg with your fee.
They will be happy to take your money and will not hassle you. (No need for receipts)

05-01-2012, 2:58 PM
I didn't register mine for a few years, you're fine... all you have to do is fill out the form and send in a check. They just want your money, not a receipt

05-01-2012, 4:07 PM
Whew.. That's a load off my mind! I thought for a second that some crazy CA law was gonna take my gun and put me in the slammer!

Thanks for all the info guys. Very nice community you have hear and I look forward to browsing all the good info you've got.