PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Just bought a used p226. Decided to clean and lube it before I take it out to the range. I take out the grips and see this147829
This is normal right? Just greased up?

AeroEngi
05-01-2012, 12:36 PM
That seems a bit excessive to me. I normally don't grease that area. I usually just put a light coat of oil there. Remember, grease attracts dirt and dust so you want to minimize the amount of grease that is used.

GunHo
05-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Gosh, you're the 2nd person that posted something ackward with their new P226. The 1st post was a rusty hammer spring on a new P226. I've had my P226 for over 6 months and never removed the grips. I'll probably do it tonight.

My opinion, excessive grease is probably normal for new guns. I wouldn't worry too much.

And by the way, I'm curious to see how it performs at the range. Mines and my buddy's shoot really low. If yours shoots low, you literally have to cover the traget with your sights; I've been told.

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
A bit excessive but otherwise fine? I've never taken the grips off of a handgun and didn't know that required grease. I usually just use this 147836
On the slide and barrel, now I'm wondering if I should be greasing it all up?! Lol

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Took the rest of the pistol apart and it looks VERY clean so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the previous owner took good care of his gun and everything is the way it is supposed to be. I don't know how to delete the thread but mods please delete if possible. Thank you

PandaLuv
05-01-2012, 1:08 PM
Gosh, you're the 2nd person that posted something ackward with their new P226. The 1st post was a rusty hammer spring on a new P226. I've had my P226 for over 6 months and never removed the grips. I'll probably do it tonight.

My opinion, excessive grease is probably normal for new guns. I wouldn't worry too much.

And by the way, I'm curious to see how it performs at the range. Mines and my buddy's shoot really low. If yours shoots low, you literally have to cover the traget with your sights; I've been told.

it's kinda funny, most of the p226 owners say that their guns shoot low, mine is actually on point

ThortheDog
05-01-2012, 3:14 PM
91 Whiskey,

You might want to check the following site as a point of reference:

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/sig-sauer-internal-lubrication/

This is, I believe, the work of the person (Scott Folk?) who started the lubrication sticky on the Sig forum.

unusedusername
05-01-2012, 3:26 PM
Wow that is terrible. Send it to me and I'll gladly take it off your hands :)

That looks like someone put too much slide-glide on the innards. (Slide glide is the only grease I know of that is reddish in color). It won't hurt anything but it might get the inside of your grips all gooey.

I would clean most of that off (and replace with less but new slide-glide) if you plan to put on wood grips, but it won't hurt the plastic ones.

Do make sure you grease the rails on that Sig before you shoot it. Sigs don't like to be shot while dry.

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 3:44 PM
91 Whiskey,

You might want to check the following site as a point of reference:

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/index.php/random-apex/sig-sauer-internal-lubrication/

This is, I believe, the work of the person (Scott Folk?) who started the lubrication sticky on the Sig forum.

Thank you very much Thor. That was a great link. I have saved it as a point of reference. Thanks again.

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 3:48 PM
Wow that is terrible. Send it to me and I'll gladly take it off your hands :)

That looks like someone put too much slide-glide on the innards. (Slide glide is the only grease I know of that is reddish in color). It won't hurt anything but it might get the inside of your grips all gooey.

I would clean most of that off (and replace with less but new slide-glide) if you plan to put on wood grips, but it won't hurt the plastic ones.

Do make sure you grease the rails on that Sig before you shoot it. Sigs don't like to be shot while dry.

I plan on buying the piranha g10 grips so I should be fine. I have only used oil on my weapons. Thor just hooked me up with a link with some great information and I will be buying some grease for the next time I clean my weapons. I just got a little excited when I initially saw the red and white grease because of the other sig226 thread with the rusted spring. Lol.

Gary13
05-01-2012, 4:30 PM
Op, since your location is 209 I assume you live somewhere in the 209 area code. There are a few of us in the area. I live in the Manteca/Modesto area if you ever want to go shooting or need anything.

As Panda said, several 226 owners find that their 226 shoots low. I am one of them. I need to get it out again and play with it some more.

Fishslayer
05-01-2012, 4:39 PM
SIGs are not set up for the 6 o'clock hold most of us learned. It's set up for a combat hold where you cover the target with the front sight.

However, the 2022 I bought for myself shoots about 2" lower at 10 yards than my wife's identican gun does. :confused:

CAglock20c
05-01-2012, 6:21 PM
excessive grease with crap built up in it- you dont want that. clean it up well and put a couple drops of oil on it, then youll be gtg