View Full Version : Anyone have experience with S&W factory target grips?

05-01-2012, 8:06 AM
Product: Fancy Walnut Grip With Checkering For N Frame Round-Square Conversion (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764816_-1_758002_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N)

I was checking these out. I'm currently looking for a new set of grips for my S&W 627. I prefer something on the bigger side with no finger grooves. Anyone have any experience/input on em (link above)?

I currently have these Hogues and while I really like them.. I find even having that single finger groove affects my natural grip more than I'd like.

I'm also considering getting some Ahrends fingerless target grips. Curious on their thickness.

05-01-2012, 8:51 AM
The replacement grips offered by S&W aren't so great imho, some exhibit poor workmanship, material and fit, I purchased a couple pairs but didnt like them; I have a lot of S&W revolvers and I've tried a lot of different grips. The cokebottle grips are my favorites and are not the big bulky "Target" things that came on the 1970's and later S&W's. Cokes have a great feel for normal sized hands.

If speedloaders aren't a big concern then get http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/SW-Rswd-Heritage-N-Frame-Round-Butt-Grips-Checkered-H010R.html . If you e-mail them or call they can usually add the S&W logo medallions for an additional fee. Not cheap, but much cheapers than Nill's version, although the Nill grips are works of art .http://www.nill-shop.com/product_info.php?cPath=85000&products_id=456

05-01-2012, 9:00 AM
I'd go with the Eagle grips.

I have big hands and like the 70's target style although I sure wouldn't turn down a set of coke type. It's fairly easy to fill the opening (on the 70's stocks) with a pliable putty, shape it so it fits. I forget what type I use but it also has the advantage of closely matching the stainless color.

I'm not so much a fan of the current Smith grips to include the Ahrends. Perhaps it's the finish - coated heavy and smooth it takes away from the wood feel.

05-01-2012, 9:10 AM
I would find a used pair of factory grips on eBay.

05-01-2012, 9:11 AM
I would find a used pair of factory grips on eBay.

Depends on what you want; the 70's version Target grips aren't too bad used, but good Cokebottles run over $400 and weren't available for round butt N frames.

05-01-2012, 9:26 AM
I can get the S&W factory grips in the link I showed for $60 shipped.. but I'm hearing a lot of what redcliff has mentioned about quality. Many claim it feels more "plasticky" than wood and gets really narrow or something at top.

Nills are definitely always on the top of my dream list, but I'm looking for grips I don't mind getting dinged up.

I'll check out those Eagles maybe, but I've heard mixed opinions on those too.. something about inconsistent quality. The biggest complaint I hear since they're made in India, the humidity can warp/change the dimensions of the grips during shipping. Not sure how true this is, but on more than 1 occasion I've heard about fitting issues. I really like how they look though.

I also wouldn't mind some Spegels, but don't really want to deal with the wait time and personally I don't like dealing with companies who refuse to get with the times. I prefer to conduct business via email rather than phone. To me, it keeps things concise since all the words are up there in writing.

As mentioned.. I want something on the bigger side, which is why I'm looking for target grips. I'm one of the few people that find Glock grips extremely comfortable (I even have Pachmayr rubber grip on my Glock which makes it thicker and gets rid of the finger grooves). The big blockiness fits in my hands perfectly and guns like CZs actually run a bit too small for me.

05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
PM Kurac, he should be able to set you up with just what you are after and the quality will be leaps and bounds above Hogue or Eagle grips. I think he makes conversion grips but I have only ordered them for SB frames. You can see below that his grips have a palm swell like the old cokes.

And side by side with N frame target grips.

On my 629

05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Oh, those are nice.. how much did they cost you if you don't mind me asking?

05-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Kuracs are nice, well worth the money. Usually run around $130 give or take. Here are a few of mine
And if you have lots of extra money to spend, Keith brown

05-01-2012, 1:38 PM
Geez, those are all really fine grips. I'm checking out Altamonts too.

05-01-2012, 3:45 PM
I PMd Kurac and waiting for a reply. The one thing that is making this decisions hard though.. I can get both the S&W factory target/fancy walnut and Ahrend grips for $50 or under each. I'm reading the S&W ones are a bit thing though. Ahrends aren't as pretty, but from what I've read, are super functional.