PDA

View Full Version : ATF's Top 10 Frequently Asked Firearms Questions and Answers

Flintlock Tom
05-01-2012, 7:45 AM
I did a brief search and did not see this posted already, so I am...

I get the periodic e-mails/news releases from the BATFE. This one seemed relevant enough to share. It is a list of the ten most frequently asked questions received by the ATF.

Intimid8tor
05-01-2012, 8:11 AM
Thanks for posting this. There used to be a FQ on the DOJ website about making your own firearm for personal use. I had not been able to find it as of late. It's good to see #9 where the ATF states it is legal for an individual to make their own firearm.

yellowfin
05-01-2012, 8:14 AM
I'm surprised to not see "Why are you guys so freaking mean and evil?"

Flintlock Tom
05-01-2012, 9:32 AM
I'm surprised to not see "Why are you guys so freaking mean and evil?"

That was probably 11th on the list.:rolleyes:

stix213
05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
It is missing, "Why were you providing thousands of rifles to the Mexican cartels and not even bothering to track them?"

Burbur
05-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Now here's a good idea:

5. Does ATF issue a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) that authorizes a person to carry a firearm throughout the United States?

Neither ATF nor any other Federal agency issues such a permit or license. CCPs may be issued by a State or local government.

darn

kcstott
05-03-2012, 7:41 AM
It is missing, "Why were you providing thousands of rifles to the Mexican cartels and not even bothering to track them?"

That right there was pure government Ignorance of a countries culture.

Mexico is very far removed form the US as far as Culture goes. You want to disappear Pay the right people in mexico and you can have a very nice life and never be seen again.
As for the guns Pure ignorance. The gun and drug runners operate in mexico with impunity. Very under ground very covert though not like the old days where they just rolled around main street because the Feds were on the pay roll. The ATF figured it was just Like the US and could go and talk to a few people and get information and be able to track the weapons they were proven sadly wrong. The real problem is our agencies in our government still don't communicate well with each other. All they would have had to do was get the CIA involved, they've had field agent in Mexico and Central and South America for decades. Those are the guy you would want tracking a weapon shipment. Even better Hand me $500K and I'll know where the guns are in a month. It's that easy to buy your way around

GrizzlyGuy
05-03-2012, 8:35 AM
I thought this was interesting:

8. I have been convicted of a felony. How do I reinstate my rights to possess a firearm?

...The GCA includes a provision that gives ATF authority to grant relief from Federal firearms disabilities. 18 U.S.C. § 925(c). However, since 1992, ATF’s annual Congressional appropriation has prohibited ATF from expending any funds to investigate or act upon applications for relief from Federal firearms disabilities submitted by individuals. As long as this provision is included in ATF appropriations, ATF cannot act upon such applications for relief.

I wonder why our generally pro-2A Congress would prevent them from acting on applications for relief? Those don't necessarily involve felonies, and could be things like short-term mental institution commitments or misdemeanor domestic violence convictions far in a person's past.

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-03-2012, 8:41 AM
nice info, need to be on a sticky

compulsivegunbuyer
05-03-2012, 12:28 PM
#1 says a felon can own a black powder firearm. I have been told the opposite many times. Interesting.

Librarian
05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
#1 says a felon can own a black powder firearm. I have been told the opposite many times. Interesting.

That's Federal law; California is different, and does NOT distinguish antiques from modern when referring to felons.