PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry: Why the uproar?

sreiter
05-01-2012, 8:07 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2012/04/30/concealed-carry-why-the-uproar.html

April 8, 2012, marked the anniversary of a law that affects the lives of more than 270,000 Buckeyes.

Ohio’s concealed-handgun license law turned 8 years old on that Sunday afternoon.

Notably absent from the festivities were blood in the streets, Wild West reenactments and an epidemic of accidental gun injuries. To understand the significance of this event and why today it seems completely unremarkable, simply Google “Ohio concealed carry 2003” and prepare to be astonished.

• “The widespread carrying of concealed handguns, however, will result in far more cases of senseless killings that occur simply because a loaded gun was readily available.” — Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association, March 4, 2003.

• “Imagine your child’s class is visiting the Statehouse on the same day a group known for violence is scheduled to attend in protest.” — State Highway Patrol, March 5, 2003.

• “If 200,000 to 300,000 citizens begin carrying a concealed weapon, common sense tells us that accidents will become a daily event.” — Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police, March 5, 2003.

Eight years later, we know definitively that these dire warnings were groundless.

.... you can read the rest. Not sure if this is one of the papers we can't post

emcon5
05-01-2012, 8:32 AM
Every time this comes up, I kick myself for not keeping a copy of the news article that came out in Texas a couple years after their CCW bill passed. It was essentially the same article, but with a quote by one of the major chiefs of police stating that he was wrong in opposing the law. The same article also said that for the time period, Texas CCW permit holders had a lower violent crime rate than police officers.

This was probably 15 years ago, and unfortunately I can't even remember the paper it was in (but it may have been the WSJ). Getting old sucks.

On edit, it was a real news article, not an op-ed piece.

SoCal Bob
05-01-2012, 8:44 AM
Nice read. Thanks for the link.

IrishPirate
05-01-2012, 8:51 AM
silly liberals.....but hey, it's not their fault, it's the way their brains work!
http://zionstrumpet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/9-22-10-the-brain-of-a-liberal.bmp

joefreas
05-01-2012, 8:52 AM
"In the next year or two, it is entirely likely that the U.S. Supreme Court is going to decide that all “may issue” systems are constitutionally impermissible."

I sure hope he is right.

halifax
05-01-2012, 9:00 AM
Thanks for the post but I don't understand this quote:

• “Imagine your child’s class is visiting the Statehouse on the same day a group known for violence is scheduled to attend in protest.” — State Highway Patrol, March 5, 2003.

That is way, way out there :confused:

SanPedroShooter
05-01-2012, 9:01 AM
Every state, every time.

J.D.Allen
05-01-2012, 9:39 AM
Yawn...nothing to see here

sreiter
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the post but I don't understand this quote:

That is way, way out there :confused:

I imagine the OSP is implying the protesters would start wildly shooting up the statehouse and it would be terrible is YOUR kids were there that day