PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater update... he has representation

bwiese
04-30-2007, 9:10 AM
BlackwaterOps now has representation thru the firm of Trutanich-Michel.

I suggest we no longer discuss case, or an aspects thereof, personalities, etc.

FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!
04-30-2007, 9:18 AM
Which attorney there does criminal defense?

Mark_in_Pasadena
04-30-2007, 9:18 AM

Bill, is that a gun wise firm? I also agree with the discussion part, other than wishing him the best of luck....

Kestryll
04-30-2007, 9:19 AM
One of th best as I understand it MiP.

JGarrison
04-30-2007, 9:19 AM
Won't he need $$ help?

KenpoProfessor
04-30-2007, 9:20 AM

Thank you , thank you , thank you Bill.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

bwiese
04-30-2007, 9:21 AM
Which attorney there does criminal defense?

The firm has a fair number of staffers. Not sure who actually does crim defense there.

I'm glad the Big Guns are on it, if everything is 'clean' (as I am suspecting it is, and this is just a case based on hysteria) then it may get kicked early.

edwardm
04-30-2007, 9:22 AM
What charges was he arraigned on?

FreedomIsNotFree
04-30-2007, 9:33 AM

From my understanding he was not on the 8:30 calendar.....looks like we will have to wait till 1:30.

I expect to see a significant reduction in bail.

SemiAutoSam
04-30-2007, 9:34 AM
His attorney isn't sure what the charges will be yet. They will know later in the day.

10TH AMENDMENT
04-30-2007, 9:37 AM
From my understanding he was not on the 8:30 calendar.....looks like we will have to wait till 1:30.

I expect to see a significant reduction in bail.

From your lips to God's ears...and through Chuck Michel's litigation skills!

FreedomIsNotFree
04-30-2007, 9:48 AM
From your lips to God's ears...and through Chuck Michel's litigation skills!

From reading the LA County Bail Schedule (http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/felony.pdf)...

12280(a)(1) MANUFACTURE, DISTRIBUTE, etc. ASSAULT WEAPON.........................................50, 000

12280(b) POSSESSION OF ANY ASSAULT WEAPON .................................................. ...........35,000

I simply dont see how they got to $500,000 for his bail. Only time and an arraignment will tell. I've seen a few cases where bail was purposely bumped up to hold the person for a couple days...typically done to try and get some information from the suspect.

NoTime2Shoot
04-30-2007, 9:56 AM
Lemme know when the fund starts, Bill.

WolfMansDad
04-30-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bill. PM sent.

I'm in the area, so if there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.

I went to the courthouse this morning. I didn't get to see him or his hearing, but there were several people there to support him.

SemiAutoSam
04-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Did the Media show up ?

Maybe they know that his appearance was later in the afternoon?

Somehow I have a feeling that the Court would give more information to the media than the public.

WolfMansDad
04-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Did the Media show up ?

No, things were pretty quiet this morning. The only people I saw were his friends, both from school and calguns.

WolfMansDad
04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
SemiAutoSam,

PM sent.

WMD

Wulf
04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
From reading the LA County Bail Schedule (http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/felony.pdf)...

12280(a)(1) MANUFACTURE, DISTRIBUTE, etc. ASSAULT WEAPON.........................................50, 000

12280(b) POSSESSION OF ANY ASSAULT WEAPON .................................................. ...........35,000

I simply dont see how they got to $500,000 for his bail. Only time and an arraignment will tell. I've seen a few cases where bail was purposely bumped up to hold the person for a couple days...typically done to try and get some information from the suspect.

Would bail amounts resulting from federal charges get tacked on separate from what LACO might specify?

FreedomIsNotFree
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Would bail amounts resulting from federal charges get tacked on separate from what LACO might specify?

Federal charges, along with bail, would only apply in Federal Court. From the information we have so far, he is not facing any Federal Charges. Keep in mind this could change.

Jicko
04-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Posting pictures on myspace.... :(

bwiese
04-30-2007, 10:59 AM
The bail # we've been bandying about here for the last coupla days simply could be a misprint with one extra zero.

pnkssbtz
04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
IIRC, someone went to the police stations arrest record and posted a cut & paste of it and it had bail at $500,000.00

Prc329
04-30-2007, 11:49 AM
There is a website where you can check this information and it states two numbers. The half million number and $45,000.

hitnrun
04-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Posting pictures on myspace.... :(

Or evidence...

FreedomIsNotFree
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
It appears the $450,000 mark is accurate for his bail....

Matthew Arthur Corwin, who was president of East Los Angeles College's student union, was charged with five counts of unlawful assault weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property, said Jane Robison, district attorney spokeswoman.http://www.sanluisobispo.com/348/story/29727.html

According to the LA County Bail Schedule the bail should be $450,000.

Jicko
04-30-2007, 1:06 PM
Or evidence...

When do a "photograph" become "evidence"? There are tons of 17yrs old kid, wearing BDUs and posing with their airsofts.... why don't they go after ALL of them?

http://www.socalairsoft.com/modules.php?set_albumName=OperationLionClaws3&id=34A_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

- AWs
- military hardwares

leelaw
04-30-2007, 1:08 PM
It appears the $450,000 mark is accurate for his bail....

Matthew Arthur Corwin, who was president of East Los Angeles College's student union, was charged with five counts of unlawful assault weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property, said Jane Robison, district attorney spokeswoman.
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/348/story/29727.html

According to the LA County Bail Schedule the bail should be $450,000.

So, let's see. He bought 9 OLLs, sold 5, retained 4 (barring an illegal configuration, that's 9 false counts), had two knives on him at the time of arrest, and brought some Govt equipment home with him which he likely was supposed to do.

Gee.... What a cluster..

pnkssbtz
04-30-2007, 1:26 PM
I have a question regarding his legal counsel:

• Did Trutanich-Michel approach BWO?

• Did BWO approach Trutanich-Michel?

• Was Trutanich-Michel refered to BWO by someone?

• Is this confidential information? If so, it should be left unanswered.

At this point I am satisfied that BWO has good legal council. My major concerns was the manner in which this case had been conducted by the police. I.E. the bail amounts and the holdover to monday morning, and now the postponement of 2 weeks. (Interesting coincidence that it is TWO WEEKS? =P)

G-dude
04-30-2007, 1:30 PM
...had two knives on him at the time of arrest,

From article
"...was charged with [...] two counts of possession of a deadly weapon"

I was wondering what that the deadly weapon charges might be for. Man they really threw the book at this guy.

I imagine "possesion of a deadly weapon" apply strictly to items on the person and not to the other guns/knives he posessed? Maybe it was just a way to get him for the "evil" looking knives he had in his posession, but not necessarilly on his person.

spgk380
04-30-2007, 1:32 PM
From article

I was wondering what that the deadly weapon charges might be for. Man they really threw the book at this guy.

I imagine "possesion of a deadly weapon" apply strictly to items on the person and not to the other guns/knives he posessed? Maybe it was just a way to get him for the "evil" looking knives he had in his posession, but not necessarilly on his person.

I don't understand, its illegal to possess a deadly weapon? :confused: I thought you could have a knife on you in California as long as it met certain requirements?? This charge is usually reserved for carrying a weapon where it is prohibited, such as in a post office or airport.

Toolbox X
04-30-2007, 1:35 PM
Authorities also found a military identification, a bulletproof vest and a military chemical suit when they raided Corwin's home on Thursday, she said.

Robison said it appeared Corwin was trying to sell the items. She said he was not in the military.

I thought BWO is Active Army Reserve. Is he or isn't he?

-Grant

G-dude
04-30-2007, 1:37 PM
I don't understand, its illegal to possess a deadly weapon? :confused: I thought you could have a knife on you in California as long as it met certain requirements??

Well, I've briefly skimmed through CalKnifelaws.com, and from my lazy,ADD understanding of "dirk/dagger" it seems to me they can pretty much charge you for any knife if they really, really want to. Well maybe not a kitchen knife, if say, you're in your kitchen when they bust through the door.

spgk380
04-30-2007, 1:37 PM

-Grant

Maybe they consider army reserve as "not in the military" under their technical mumbojumbo definition?

spgk380
04-30-2007, 1:41 PM
Well, I've briefly skimmed through CalKnifelaws.com, and from my lazy,ADD understanding of "dirk/dagger" it seems to me they can pretty much charge you for any knife if they really, really want to. Well maybe not a kitchen knife, if say, you're in your kitchen when they bust through the door.

(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position. [Ed. note: so if it's a PC653k-legal knife, and it's carried concealed while folded, it's not "readily available" and therefore doesn't meet the "dirk or dagger definition". ONLY "dirks or daggers" need to be open-carry.]

from the penal codes. But you are right, a dirk/dagger is, by definition, ANYTHING.

Rascal
04-30-2007, 1:42 PM
and now the postponement of 2 weeks. (Interesting coincidence that it is TWO WEEKS? =P)

Are you saying that they are postponing his arraignment for two weeks?
They didn't arraign him at 1330 today?

Jicko
04-30-2007, 1:44 PM
Has he been able to make bail? Or does he have to be jailed for the next 2 weeks? That surely stinks....

brownie168
04-30-2007, 1:46 PM
Many good questions, I have a few myself but I know it is best to wait for the best opportunity to ask them in the near future.

I was hoping to find out if anyone happens to know if BWO needs a hand with the bail bond in monetary terms.

For those of us that can read this, good for us; but not everyone can go home tonight & sit in front of the computer...

G-dude
04-30-2007, 1:47 PM
(24) As used in this section, a "dirk" or "dagger" means a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death. A nonlocking folding knife, a folding knife that is not prohibited by Section 653k, or a pocketknife is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death only if the blade of the knife is exposed and locked into position. [Ed. note: so if it's a PC653k-legal knife, and it's carried concealed while folded, it's not "readily available" and therefore doesn't meet the "dirk or dagger definition". ONLY "dirks or daggers" need to be open-carry.]

from the penal codes. But you are right, a dirk/dagger is, by definition, ANYTHING.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

I knew there had to be more to that. I was going to read those laws more thoroughly eventually. Really I was.

But, ya, at first glance was my impression that thw wording gives them quite a bit of leeway to charge you.

I think the situation here is, they're throwing everything they can at him and seeing what sticks.

leelaw
04-30-2007, 2:13 PM
From article

Possession of a folding blade: legal.

Possession of a folding blade and answering the question "what is this for?" with "for self protection": possession of a deadly weapon.

Most likely they charged him with it as bargaining chips for plea bargaining, and they expect to throw the charge out.

blacklisted
04-30-2007, 2:24 PM

-Grant

http://www.militarypoliceassn.com/regsearch.php?search=t&searchall=t&p=6&last=c

Doesn't prove anything, but...

Let's just wait for some reliable information. I'm sure that it will come out in court if he was military and possessed the gear legally. He's not without legal representation, so we don't have to worry THAT much.

HK fan
04-30-2007, 3:20 PM
like booking on Fridays, bail deviation is another little tool for the especially heinous (or if they want people to appear that way)

Jicko
04-30-2007, 3:28 PM
We should start gathering and archiving all the various "news posting", "video" from the media.... and then once this is all cleared up... maybe we can use all those to put together an educational piece for the media.... stating how "wrong" they are....

tgriffin
04-30-2007, 3:35 PM
I willing to wager the "possession of a deadly weapon" relates to a non-firearm items, which BWO could have legally purchased if ever active duty LEO/.mil

rkt88edmo
04-30-2007, 4:19 PM
This is the point at which the moderator steps in and reminds participants to not speculate about the specifics of the case.

pnkssbtz
04-30-2007, 4:35 PM
Guys, calguns is now known to be linked to BWO, so lets not add fuel to the media's fire by wild speculation and conjecture.

There is a burning itch to know, but this can be detrimental to any defense that BWO's counsel will be devising, particularly if its spelled out here.

Lets not do the prosecutions dirty work by giving them insights and/or areas to research.

Anything related conjecture or otherwise, will have to be left unsaid or we will be hurting BWO's case.

Yes, I am in as much suspense as anyone else. It sucks. Lets stay positive and see what we can do to help. I think as specifics of this case emerge, we can start spreading the knowledge of CA gun laws (where our interaction won't hinder the case) and potentially using the media's spotlight on this case to do so.

E Pluribus Unum
04-30-2007, 4:40 PM
Guys, calguns is now known to be linked to BWO, so lets not add fuel to the media's fire by wild speculation and conjecture.

There is a burning itch to know, but this can be detrimental to any defense that BWO's counsel will be devising, particularly if its spelled out here.

Lets not do the prosecutions dirty work by giving them insights and/or areas to research.

Anything related conjecture or otherwise, will have to be left unsaid or we will be hurting BWO's case.

Yes, I am in as much suspense as anyone else. It sucks. Lets stay positive and see what we can do to help. I think as specifics of this case emerge, we can start spreading the knowledge of CA gun laws (where our interaction won't hinder the case) and potentially using the media's spotlight on this case to do so.

This would be true if one was posting defense strategy. Hypothesizing on what he was in possession of at the time of arrest does not hurt anything. Obviously the prosecution already knows what he had at the time.

Granted, there is a fine line between talking about that, and talking about the defense but I have a legal mind; you can rest assured I will not say anything detrimental to his case.

For Matt's sake, if the mods want to ban talking about it then they will do so; until that time I will stay on this side of the line.
I think we have already asked, [Mr. Wolf] pretty please with sugar on top [/Mr. Wolf], for everyone to not speculate ~rkt88edmo

Japedo
04-30-2007, 5:02 PM
I heard KFI do a small blip on the news, it seems they were the only one's reporting it unbiasedly (if that is a word). They said he was charged with "allegedly" posessing assault rifles, then went on to say that most of the weapons in his my space pics can be purchased legally in CA

troyPhD
04-30-2007, 5:03 PM
If the guy in question is clean, I hope he gets a nice compensatory payday.

Charliegone
04-30-2007, 7:39 PM
Guys, have patience...lets not do anything to hurt BWO's case. So let's zip the lip.

jdberger
04-30-2007, 8:03 PM
We should start gathering and archiving all the various "news posting", "video" from the media.... and then once this is all cleared up... maybe we can use all those to put together an educational piece for the media.... stating how "wrong" they are....

I'm doing the best I can without spending my life tied to Google. If anyone would like to make a little digital archive to compare it with, I'd be appreciative.

artherd
04-30-2007, 9:02 PM
TMLLP is a quality firm, he is in good hands.

If and when the time for financial aid comes, the prosecuting DAs, DOJ, and ATF should all be advised that we will not leave our brother out to dry.

SemiAutoSam
04-30-2007, 9:15 PM
I understand your point but I hope HE / WE can pursue wrongful arrest and prosecution suit for what they have put him through.

as if we can and are successful this could be the notice to all LEO Agencies and those GD 58 DA's that the AG constantly slings when there is no basis to say something is illegal.

TMLLP is a quality firm, he is in good hands.

If and when the time for financial aid comes, the prosecuting DAs, DOJ, and ATF should all be advised that we will not leave our brother out to dry.

FreedomIsNotFree
04-30-2007, 9:27 PM

What if he's wet and needs to dry out a bit?....

Sorry....had to laugh....sometimes satire is all you have left....

OldWestGambler
05-01-2007, 6:33 AM
Has anyone read the LA Times this morning? I posted it the link to simply talk about it and it got yanked? why? It's imporant info to all of us that want to know what's going on with the current case.

Nefarious
05-01-2007, 6:40 AM
Has anyone read the LA Times this morning? I posted it the link to simply talk about it and it got yanked? why? It's imporant info to all of us that want to know what's going on with the current case.

Read here first
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56772

then I would repost what you put up earlier

SemiAutoSam
05-01-2007, 6:48 AM
Was this the story ?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-college1may01,1,6304377.story?coll=la-news-politics-california

East L.A. College student held in gun probe
Authorities find a cache at the Monterey Park home of the campus government leader.
By Richard Winton and Tony Barboza, Times Staff Writers
May 1, 2007

As president of the Associated Students at East Los Angeles College, Matthew Corwin spoke out on issues pressing the students he represented, including the high price of textbooks and funding for campus clubs.

But authorities Monday charged the 23-year-old with selling and possessing illegal weapons, including machine guns, after finding a cache of firearms at his Monterey Park home. Corwin deferred making a plea.

Los Angeles County sheriff's detectives began investigating Corwin two weeks ago — soon after the massacre at Virginia Tech — when students and facility members sent them Corwin's MySpace.com page address, which showed him with various weapons and contained the quotation: "Be polite, be professional. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Detectives didn't know whether Corwin brought weapons to the campus, but college friends said they were unaware of his arsenal.

"He would say, 'I am a collector.' But we didn't know what he collected. My first impression was comic books or toy cars," said Khristoper Lee, 28, a criminal-justice major who worked with Corwin on student government issues. "I never expected guns."

Corwin had been president of the Associated Students Union since September and spent hours in his office calculating how much student clubs should receive in funding, Lee said.

Corwin was being held at Men's Central Jail and could not be reached for comment.

College officials said they were monitoring the investigation but had not expelled Corwin or increased security measures.

"Our campus police are on alert, but we are not under any threat," said Oscar Valeriano Jr., dean of student services.

Corwin's MySpace page features statements about killing, images of Corwin wielding guns and videos of him firing weapons. In still images, he poses with various guns, including pointing a handgun at the camera. Below one image of Corwin in military fatigues with an assault-style weapon, it says, "I love the smell of gunfire in the morning."

Inside Corwin's home in the 400 block of Brightwood Street, detectives last week found, along with the assault weapons, a military ID, a bulletproof vest and a military-issue chemical weapons suit, prosecutors said.

"We were given information about his page by students and faculty, and we checked it and found what appeared to be automatic and military weapons," said sheriff's Capt. Ralph Webb. "When we searched his place, we found weapons stolen from the military."

Corwin was charged with five counts of unlawful assault-weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property.

Webb said he does not believe Corwin planned any attacks on campus but is puzzled how the student leader amassed such an arsenal.

Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said Corwin was "inactive Army Reserve" and had allegedly sold some of the weapons.

He was arrested Thursday afternoon after a sheriff's major crimes surveillance team got information supporting the tips about the weapons.

Though prosecutors obtained an order preventing Corwin from appearing on campus, investigators said the weapons posed more of a threat than he did.

His arrest caught by surprise friends and students who knew him as a strong but caring leader.

At East L.A. College, students said they knew Corwin was in the Army Reserve and was head of the campus' 2nd Amendment Club, which focuses on gun-rights issues.

"We didn't get into any details of his personal life. It was a 'don't ask, don't-tell' kind of thing," Lee said.

In October, Corwin was quoted in the student newspaper as urging the Associated Students board to spend $750 on parts to make a gun that could be used by students who could not afford their own. The board did not support the proposal.

On Monday, students wondered who will run the student union.

"Now we don't have an ASU president. Who is going to write the agendas?" said Brenda Lee, 21, who is studying to be a nurse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
richard.winton@latimes.com

tony.barboza@latimes.com

Below a list of what google news has when assault weapon is searched about 14 links to different stories for those that are collecting the stories.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1115897936&filter=0

This URL has assault weapon and BWO'S Last name as the search terms.
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&ie=UTF-8&filter=0&q=Assault+Weapon++Corwin+&btnG=Search

OldWestGambler
05-01-2007, 6:54 AM
I wish him the best. One important thought is if the charges are true, then it wasn't about OLL rifles, but stolen military weapons. If this case was about OLL, couldn't that have put an end to OLL all together?

JGarrison
05-01-2007, 7:08 AM
"We were given information about his page by students and faculty, and we checked it and found what appeared to be automatic and military weapons," said sheriff's Capt. Ralph Webb. "When we searched his place, we found weapons stolen from the military."

That is pretty scary, all of this started just from people calling the police about his myspace page...

blackberg
05-01-2007, 7:16 AM
Just realized that I know the dean at ELAC

Rumpled
05-01-2007, 7:19 AM
[QUOTE=SemiAutoSam;594707]Was this the story ?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/politics/cal/la-me-college1may01,1,6304377.story?coll=la-news-politics-california

East L.A. College student held in gun probe
Authorities find a cache at the Monterey Park home of the campus government leader.
By Richard Winton and Tony Barboza, Times Staff Writers
May 1, 2007

"Our campus police are on alert, but we are not under any threat," said Oscar Valeriano Jr., dean of student services.
Then why the RO?

Inside Corwin's home in the 400 block of Brightwood Street, detectives last week found, along with the assault weapons, a military ID, Required for Reservistsa bulletproof vestLegal and a military-issue chemical weapons suit, Might be surplus, might be GI issued to himprosecutors said.

"When we searched his place, we found weapons stolen from the military."
Gawd, I hope not; how come no DoD involved?

Webb said he does not believe Corwin planned any attacks on campus but is puzzled how the student leader amassed such an arsenal.
As far as we know, he bought them legally; and that's no arsenal.

Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said Corwin was "inactive Army Reserve" and had allegedly sold some of the weapons.
Many collectors buy and sell thinkgs. Proper transactions are not illegal

Though prosecutors obtained an order preventing Corwin from appearing on campus, investigators said the weapons posed more of a threat than he did.
REally, these weapons go out and shoot themselves?

In October, Corwin was quoted in the student newspaper as urging the Associated Students board to spend $750 on parts to make a gun that could be used by students who could not afford their own. The board did not support the proposal.
Like the college buying musical instruments for use by those who cannot buy their own. Sounds like a good way to have a college gun club.

"Now we don't have an ASU president. Who is going to write the agendas?" said Brenda Lee, 21, who is studying to be a nurse.
Pull your head out of your arse, Brenda; and follow your established parliamentary procedures. Hope you are never my nurse.

The bold comments are mine; responding to the LA Times and those quoted.
If discussion of this published info is inappropiate, then I apologize in advance.

drclark
05-01-2007, 7:20 AM
I wish blackwater the best. I hope that he is ultimately found innocent of all charges. I also hope that this case can ultimately lead to some sort of injunction against the .gov and the 58 da's or something w.r.t. OLLs if not ultimate demise of SB23 on grounds of being unconstitutionally vauge.

I find the above article interesting in that the investigation started very shortly after the VT incident just because of what was on his myspace page. Unfortunately, it would seem that exercising your first amendment rights displaying perfectly legal firearms on the www can land you in jail (especially if you are a college student).

I hope that when found innocent, that BWO can push for civil rights charges against the city; it would seem like this case would be ripe for the pickings.

Until this is all resolved, we should take note that we need to be very careful about what we post online.

This story also seems to have peaked at least a local interest in the press. We need to find a way to exploit that as the case goes on. Even if the media is anti-gun, they also seem feed on stories of wrongly accused suffering under the system.

When the time come, I will donate what I can.

drc

Prc329
05-01-2007, 7:30 AM
One thing I found interesting was the video (I think it was fox) of hime bump firing what looked like an SKS. The reporter called it an assault weapon.

Jicko
05-01-2007, 8:10 AM
One thing I found interesting was the video (I think it was fox) of hime bump firing what looked like an SKS. The reporter called it an assault weapon.

That's the "media".....

jemaddux
05-01-2007, 8:39 AM
No matter what, this is what has been warned here over and over and people don't listen. Its fine to post, I went out shooting today, whats the right firearm to buy and so on. To place pictures out in the public that can be taken by some idiot that has nothing better to do with there time can see is just silly. In this case this was all that was needed to get the warrant. If anything good can come from this take it as a lesson for all that you can not control who watches, reads and forwards your posts. Be wise in what you post and careful with your words. This day and age we have lost freedom of speech and something meant as a joke can be taken wrong be someone else and said to be a threat. I am saying this as someone that has been before a judge for the dumbest of reason but still had to pay the money to defend myself and the time spent it court. Even keeping yourself legal in every way can not save you from someone that says you have guns and they feel that your dangerous. So please just be careful on what you post for BW and yourself, don't give fuel to an already out of control fire.

Just my three cents for the day

arguy15
05-01-2007, 8:44 AM
If he had machine guns he would be charged with possession of machineguns.

Prc329
05-01-2007, 8:50 AM
No matter what, this is what has been warned here over and over and people don't listen. Its fine to post, I went out shooting today, whats the right firearm to buy and so on. To place pictures out in the public that can be taken by some idiot that has nothing better to do with there time can see is just silly. In this case this was all that was needed to get the warrant. If anything good can come from this take it as a lesson for all that you can not control who watches, reads and forwards your posts. Be wise in what you post and careful with your words. This day and age we have lost freedom of speech and something meant as a joke can be taken wrong be someone else and said to be a threat. I am saying this as someone that has been before a judge for the dumbest of reason but still had to pay the money to defend myself and the time spent it court. Even keeping yourself legal in every way can not save you from someone that says you have guns and they feel that your dangerous. So please just be careful on what you post for BW and yourself, don't give fuel to an already out of control fire.

Just my three cents for the day

Also, stay away from myspace.

bwiese
05-01-2007, 9:04 AM
JEMaddux has very good advice.

I will also note that all the OLL cases (except the San Jose Saiga-in-a-divorce case and the Orange County case dissmissed a few wks ago) involved 21- to 26 year old young folks, which says something. Cars may have been lowered Hondas, one case had a cracked windshield, etc.

As one cop on AR15.COM says, "It's legal to drive with a dead hooker in your trunk if your taillights work and your registration is current."

SemiAutoSam
05-01-2007, 9:11 AM
Pic of BWO

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site205/2007/0430/20070430_094629_4-30-07-9-WEAPONS_GALLERY.gif

http://www.sgvtribune.com/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp?articleId=5790012&siteId=205&startImage=1
East Los Angeles College student Matthew Arthur Corwin, 23, appears in Alhambra (Calif.) Superior Court on Monday, April 30, 2007. Corwin has been charged with multiple counts of posession of assault weapons and ammunition for sale, stemming from a search of his Monterey Park home last week.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_5790012

Student leader faces weapons charge
By Bethania Palma, Staff Writer

Click photo to enlargeEast Los Angeles College student Matthew Arthur Corwin, 23, appears in Alhambra (Calif.)...«1»ALHAMBRA - An East Los Angeles College student was charged Monday with multiple felony weapons counts and ordered to stay at least 100 yards away from the school.

Matthew Arthur Corwin, 23, of Monterey Park is being held on $365,000 bail. He was arrested at his home Thursday night and faces 11 counts of illegal assault weapon sales and possession and one count of receiving stolen property.

His scheduled arraignment Monday at Alhambra Courthouse was continued to May 14.

Corwin, described by acquaintances as a high-achieving student, was the Associated Student Union president at ELAC. He also founded Students for the Second Amendment, a gun enthusiast and advocacy club.

"East Los Angeles College requested \ from us and we think it's appropriate under the circumstances, at least until we get this litigated," said Deputy District Attorney Rory Wagner.

Staff members of the college's campus newspaper, the Campus News, said they had had an adversarial relationship with Corwin and described him as a "loose canon." They declined to give their names, citing safety concerns. They noted that before last week, "we've always had our doors open."

Now, they said, the newsroom is locked at all times.
James Santana, 19, ASU vice president, said Corwin was elected vice president of the student organization at the beginning of the current academic year. He became president after the elected student could not meet the requirements.

Santana described Corwin as "outspoken and opinionated," but said he has never heard Corwin make any threats of violence.

"I know it's a big issue, but I think it's been taken out of context," he said. "I never felt he was a threat."

Representatives from the college declined to comment, other than confirm that Corwin was a student there.

Corwin's alleged MySpace page depicts multiple pictures of firearms and other weapons, and photos of Corwin and others holding and firing weapons.

bethania.palma@sgvn.com

(626) 962-8811, Ext. 2236

Rem1492
05-01-2007, 9:16 AM
Also, stay away from myspace.
or set your profile to private/hidden

xrMike
05-01-2007, 9:21 AM
or set your profile to private/hiddenYeah, but that totally defeats the main purpose of MySpace, which is to show the entire world what a pimp-playa I am... ;)

383green
05-01-2007, 9:24 AM
The news article is an interesting read, but I won't believe most of it until/unless it's backed up by credible, independent sources. It seems to me that most of the public (including reporters) doesn't have a good understanding of firearms, the military, the surplus market, etc. They wouldn't know an automatic weapon from an airsoft gun, and call any more than two guns an "arsenal". I can easily imagine that just about everything written in that article could be factually incorrect and/or taken out of context, based on my own experience with the way a lot of folks [over]react to military-related and gun-related things that they just don't understand.

I wish BWO the best. If this is a case of an innocent man getting railroaded, then I sure hope that he prevails in his case and then can take some legal action on the folks who wrongfully prosecuted him. Even if some of the allegations are true, that doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy.

In my opinion, having things shouldn't be against the law. Only doing bad things should be legally restricted. I didn't see any mention in that article about BWO being charged with doing anything that could harm anybody. Thus, I don't see any reason to lose respect for the guy whether he's found guilty or innocent.

zatoh
05-01-2007, 9:29 AM
"He would say, 'I am a collector.' But we didn't know what he collected. My first impression was comic books or toy cars," said Khristoper Lee, 28, a criminal-justice major who worked with Corwin on student government issues. "I never expected guns."Hmmm, substitue for "guns" child porn, drugs, supremist/racist... you name it. It tells you the mentality of people outside the gun community that they think of us as harmful mental deviants. Just sickening. I'm sure many of us have encountered this type of prejudice before.

If this case is shown to be unfounded then I wish BWO all the best.

Scarecrow Repair
05-01-2007, 10:13 AM
It is legal to walk down an alley with hundred dollar bills hanging out of your cuffs, pockets, shoes, plastered all over your clothes and stuck to your hair.

It is legal for a woman (or a man!) to walk down that same alley in a string bikini.

It is legal to post all sorts of gorp all over myspace.

But all of them push a lot of the wrong buttons and are not adviseable unless you want to spend a lot of money and time dealing with the consequences.

Neil McCauley
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM
or set your profile to private/hidden

Why do you even need a myspace page if your not selling ****. Unless your 12 years old, you don't need one, if your that desperate for poontang, go bang a hooker.

Sam Hainn
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM

That's a great idea and fair use of board funds. Many college student bodies use funds for mini-gyms, sports equipment, campus bicycles, tools or other domestic items students need, microwaves or vacuum cleaners, and instruments as SemiautoSam mentioned. If there is a 2nd Amendment club it's normal they'd fund club to have gun(s) for rental or discussion. That is brilliant thinking by BWO & something I'd support as a student.

bwiese
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah.

I again reiterate that all these events (except dismissed OC case and Saiga divorce case) happened to 21 - 25 year olds.

Don't drive in a lowered Honda, don't drive with a cracked windshield, don't dress in 'gangy' clothes, don't have shaggy hair & a bunch of tats, don't look like a rat's ***, and you're gonna come out of the situation much better.

I beleve there have already quite a few traffic stops where OLL-based rifles were found, adequately explained, and no problems occurred (other than perhaps a basic traffic ticket for whatever CVC violation purportedly triggered the stop). I know one occurred in OC just recently.

Paradiddle
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Why do you even need a myspace page if your not selling ****. Unless your 12 years old, you don't need one, if your that desperate for poontang, go bang a hooker.

Myspace started as a place to share music and link bands. It had nothing to do with dating, or porn. There are still more bands on myspace then anything else and for that purpose it is a great site.

Don't let our ignorant media color your perception of a site - you become just like them. The same could easily be said about THIS site - "why does anyone need to post on Calguns, it's all about clever ways to circumvent the assault weapons ban...." - obviously we would disagree with this statement.

simonov
05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a difficult time believing the MySpace page alone was all they needed to get a warrant (Bill or whoever, it would be interesting if we could see the warrant and what it says), but if it was, there are huge civil rights implications the press should be all over, and not just for gun owners.

I don't know about you guys, but I just pulled down my old copy of 1984 and am giving it a re-read.

OldWestGambler
05-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Yeah.

I beleve there have already quite a few traffic stops where OLL-based rifles were found, adequately explained, and no problems occurred (other than perhaps a basic traffic ticket for whatever CVC violation purportedly triggered the stop). I know one occurred in OC just recently.

We always hear the horror stories like cracked windshields and arrest, but we never hear anything positive like what you stated above. Do you think if people removed all the feature from their OLL and removed the upper from the lower while transporting these rifles or storing them at home, we'd see less arrest??? I mean, it takes 10 minutes to reinstall a Monstergrip or muzzlebreak, wouldn't make sense to take the time to remove these items and the entire upper before leaving for the desert or range or about to drive home? It beats $20,000+ in legal bills and a felony charge that has to be disproved.

bg
05-01-2007, 11:15 AM
If he had machine guns he would be charged with possession of machineguns. LA. Times spew.
He has been according to this..
http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/local/Los_Angeles/Los_Angeles_Times/SIG=13qbfvu2p/**http%3A%2F%2Fwww.latimes.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Flo s_angeles_metro%2Fla-me-college1may01%2C1%2C3890005.story%3Ftrack%3Drss

But authorities Monday charged the 23-year-old with selling and possessing illegal weapons, including machine guns, after finding a cache of firearms at his Monterey Park home. Corwin deferred making a plea.

"He would say, 'I am a collector.' But we didn't know what he collected. My first impression was comic books or toy cars," said Khristoper Lee, 28, a criminal-justice major who worked with Corwin on student government issues. "I never expected guns."

Corwin had been president of the Associated Students Union since September and spent hours in his office calculating how much student clubs should receive in funding, Lee said.

Corwin was being held at Men's Central Jail and could not be reached for comment.

College officials said they were monitoring the investigation but had not expelled Corwin or increased security measures.

Corwin's MySpace page features statements about killing, images of Corwin wielding guns and videos of him firing weapons. In still images, he poses with various guns, including pointing a handgun at the camera. Below one image of Corwin in military fatigues with an assault-style weapon, it says, "I love the smell of gunfire in the morning."

Inside Corwin's home in the 400 block of Brightwood Street, detectives last week found, along with the assault weapons, a military ID, a bulletproof vest and a military-issue chemical weapons suit, prosecutors said.

Corwin was charged with five counts of unlawful assault-weapon sales, four counts of unlawful possession of assault weapons, two counts of possession of a deadly weapon and one count of receiving stolen property.

He was arrested Thursday afternoon after a sheriff's major crimes surveillance team got information supporting the tips about the weapons.

His arrest caught by surprise friends and students who knew him as a strong but caring leader.

At East L.A. College, students said they knew Corwin was in the Army Reserve and was head of the campus' 2nd Amendment Club, which focuses on gun-rights issues.

"We didn't get into any details of his personal life. It was a 'don't ask, don't-tell' kind of thing," Lee said.

"Now we don't have an ASU president. Who is going to write the agendas?" said Brenda Lee, 21, who is studying to be a nurse.As usual they don't care for what's happening or the real truth of it, but
who will now write their "agendas". Sad state of affairs and I feel Blackwater
is getting railroaded.

Too bad the cops don't take half as much interest in illegal immigration
rallies as they do in just one guy..Shameful.

blacklisted
05-01-2007, 11:23 AM
I bet that the "machine gun" and "stolen military weapon" is the LEGAL Allied Armament SEMI-AUTOMATIC 1919 clone. :rolleyes:

This is all police/media BS until the arraignment, and it makes me sick.

spgk380
05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
"Corwin has been charged with multiple counts of posession of assault weapons and ammunition for sale"

I don't get it, now its illegal to sell ammunition?! Is this a LA county thing?

"Webb said he does not believe Corwin planned any attacks on campus but is puzzled how the student leader amassed such an arsenal."

Are these people really that clueless???

"Staff members of the college's campus newspaper, the Campus News, said they had had an adversarial relationship with Corwin and described him as a "loose canon." They declined to give their names, citing safety concerns. They noted that before last week, "we've always had our doors open."

Yes, "safety concerns", this is the same kind of crap that occurs when Bush says he can't disclose some illegal administration wiretap program for fear of "giving away methods". Ok, I'm pretty well convinced now that it was these staff members who "ratted" out his myspace page because they wanted to get even with him for being a member of the 2nd amendment club on campus or other political disagreements connected with his being class president.

bwiese
05-01-2007, 11:25 AM
"Corwin has been charged with multiple counts of posession of assault weapons and ammunition for sale"

I don't get it, now its illegal to sell ammunition?! Is this a LA county thing?

LA does have some ammo restrictions.

383green
05-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "Stolen Government Property" was just stuff marked "US Government Property" that had been legally and properly disposed of on the surplus market. They don't remove or obscure property markings when they release stuff.

blacklisted
05-01-2007, 11:33 AM
"Webb said he does not believe Corwin planned any attacks on campus but is puzzled how the student leader amassed such an arsenal."

Are these people really that clueless???

Yes, they are. Public knowledge of firearms is extremely limited, and most of it seems to come from movies. This is because guns are perceived as evil by most people in this area, and firearms education is discouraged.

Even those that have no problem with someone owning a gun for home defense or hunting will freak out when an "arsenal" of more than 2 firearms or a "military style weapon" is discovered. Over 100 rounds of ammunition is also considered to be a "stockpile."

You are automatically considered to be mentally unstable if you possess any of the above. This is why it is unlikely that we will gain any ground against the antis in California. Who wants to support a bunch of dangerous nuts? They are afraid of us though...at least that's something.

Rem1492
05-01-2007, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Neil McCauley;594922]Why do you even need a myspace page QUOTE]

For us deployed troops its a good way to log in and let your friends know you're doing ok when stuck in Iraq or Africa, emailing all 50 of your friends gets old fast, myspace lets you post a new photo or a message for your friends and family to read. And yes, me and most of my friend met our girls online, best thing I ever did. The computer rooms are filled with troops catching up on whats going on in the world via myspace while their groundhog day life passes them by in the desert. I can tell you have no idea what thats like.

As for posting stuff on myspace or public sites, sure not a bright idea, even the bad guys peruse the internet so its wise to keep things low profile, or better yet, your profile hidden/private. A lot of kids flaunt their marijuana or gang stuff, yet I don't see a crackdown on them like against 2A people.

G-dude
05-01-2007, 11:36 AM
I have a difficult time believing the MySpace page alone was all they needed to get a warrant.

Well, the page provided evidence that he could have evil, scary, baby-killing, "military-style assault weapons and machine guns." I speculate that was the main reason used on the warrant. Some statements and other impressions may have played a small part also. But legally, they probably went with the "assault weapon" issue to obtain the warrant.

Good article, and sort-of, kind-of, fairly well-balanced. You have to read all the way to the bottom to find out he was in the military and a firm believer in the 2A. (Which ,um, I don't know, could EXPLAIN WHY he had guns and military equipment?) The emphasis that he was inactive-duty military, while apparently factually true, seems to help paint in him like some kind of ex-military wacko in the vein of Tim McVeigh.

What happened to the credit-card theft? Now it's stolen military weapons?
I wonder if his PERFECTLY LEGAL M1919 Machine gun REPLICA had anything to do with this? Unless he stole one of his other "military-style" rifles? However the testimony of of those who knew him here say that he had good moral character, was a good kid who wanted to be a cop. I highly doubt that the theft charges will hold water.

spgk380
05-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Over 100 rounds of ammunition is also considered to be a "stockpile.".

Again, is this some kind of LA county law or are you just being sarcastic?

blacklisted
05-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Again, is this some kind of LA county law or are you just being sarcastic?

Sarcasm, of course.

spgk380
05-01-2007, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the "Stolen Government Property" was just stuff marked "US Government Property" that had been legally and properly disposed of on the surplus market. They don't remove or obscure property markings when they release stuff.

Oh crap, your right! I better get rid of that old surplus canteen I bought at the surplus store thats marked "Property of the US Government". :eek:

G-dude
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
LA does have some ammo restrictions.

If they are accurate in reporting the actual charges he faces, he is not charged with anything concerning ammunition. Seems that statement about ammunition is just an innacurate reporter elaboration.

He is charged with:

5 counts of 'sale/distribution of assault weapons'

4 counts of 'possession of assault weapons'

1 count of 'recieving stolen property'

2 counts of 'possession of a deadly weapon'

All FELONIES.

He has also not OFFICIALLY been charged yet. His arraigment has been postponed for 2 weeks and he will be charged then, I guess. So perhaps it's possible that these charges could change.

leelaw
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Criminal complaint available here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56722

spgk380
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=G-dude;595036]If they are accurate in reporting the actual charges he faces, he is not charged with anything concerning ammunition. Seems that statement about ammunition is just an innacurate reporter elaboration.

He is charged with:

5 counts of 'sale/distribution of assault weapons'

4 counts of 'possession of assault weapons'

1 count of 'recieving stolen property'

2 counts of 'possession of a deadly weapon'
/QUOTE]

I'm still confused about that "possession of a deadly weapon" charge-- since when was it illegal to have a deadly weapon?

leelaw
05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm still confused about that "possession of a deadly weapon" charge. Its illegal to possess deadly weapons? Aren't AWs and regular guns deadly weapons too??

Go look in the other thread. It lists the charges.

ETA: I'm closing this thread. It would appear that the other thread is much better suited for further discussion than this one.