PDA

View Full Version : 2014 long gun reg. and the CMP question

russt
04-30-2012, 8:34 PM
In 2014 when the long gun registration change takes effect will this stop the mail order CMP m1 garand sales to CA?

ke6guj
04-30-2012, 8:41 PM
unknown at this time.

Cato
04-30-2012, 9:00 PM
Will this affect long guns owned prior to 2014?

ke6guj
04-30-2012, 9:08 PM
not until you to transfer them to others.

Cato
04-30-2012, 9:12 PM
not until you to transfer them to others.

Cato is upset. :mad:

GOEX FFF
04-30-2012, 9:18 PM
I haven't seen this question asked yet.

After 2014, I know for C&R Long guns one will also need a COE with their 03 FFL.
So when buying from an out-of-state seller from an online auction..etc... would one need to also send their COE along with their 03 as well?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I haven't seen this question asked yet.

After 2014, I know for C&R Long guns one will also need a COE with their 03 FFL.
So when buying from an out-of-state seller from an online auction..etc... would one need to also send their COE along with their 03 as well?

There is no legal requirement at all for you to send a copy of your COE to out of state sellers. But I'm sure many sellers will want a copy as a precaution. Sellers will probably break down into three groups...

1). I won't sell to California because it's too complicated.
2). I'll sell to you if you send me your COE too.
3). I'll sell you anything. It's your job to make sure it's legal.

GOEX FFF
04-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks Mssr.!

The legal requirement of sending a COE or not was what I was mainly wondering about.

I concur, the rest would be pretty much be the same ole' ball game.

littlejake
05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
And, will buying a C&R long gun from out of state, then trigger a requirement to send in a form similar to the C&R self importer form to the DOJ -- registering the long gun and paying DOJ a fee.

Topic creep here -- the administration of DROS and other forms of record keeping is for public safety, why should only the buyer have the burden of payment. Should not the cost to run DOJ/BOF come out of the general fund; and all citizens of the state of California pay for public safety? These fees are like a poll tax -- a tax on an individual right as basic as voting. Clearly no state would impose a poll tax in this day and age.

Flintlock Tom
05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
The CMP is sometimes restricted by state law. For instance, purchasers in New Jersey must go through an 01FFL.
I think, when the question was put to Mr. Michaels, (at CMP Forums (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=56530&highlight=California+law&page=3)) he said that they would have to examine the law to see how it would affect shipments to CA.

GOEX FFF
05-01-2012, 10:23 AM
I don't see what changes with Long gun reg per the CMP that couldn't or wouldn't ship here. Every long gun (M1 in this case) has to go to an FFL like they always have, be that an 01 or 03 for C&R. If they ship to your local 01 Dealer, (I'm pretty certain the CMP is signed up with the CFLC) then it would get reg'd at DROS. If they ship to an 03, then you pay the DOJ their $19 bucks and reg it when you get it.

There is no Long gun roster, and even if there was, C&R's are exempt. C&R long guns, unlike handguns, could still be sent to an 03 (with COE) even with this new reg bill. What would change?

jrr
05-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Goex- what people are concerned about is losing the door to door shipping that the CMP does. Once you qualify for buying a rifle from CMP, it gets shipped directly to your doorstep, bypassing the need for a dealer. Thats the case even in CA with our crazy laws. The concern is that because there has to be a mechanism to register the long gun, a dealer might have to act as a middleman, thus no more doorstep deliveries. Just as in NJ.

GOEX FFF
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Goex- what people are concerned about is losing the door to door shipping that the CMP does. Once you qualify for buying a rifle from CMP, it gets shipped directly to your doorstep, bypassing the need for a dealer. Thats the case even in CA with our crazy laws. The concern is that because there has to be a mechanism to register the long gun, a dealer might have to act as a middleman, thus no more doorstep deliveries. Just as in NJ.

Ok thanks, I admit I haven't bought from the CMP.

01 Dealer aside.....So, as of current, if one qualifies with them, one doesn't need to have at least an 03 on file with them to ship directly to you?

The "mechanism" to register the C&R long gun would be the same requirement like if someone imports a C&R handgun from out-of-state.
You send in the $19.00 to DOJ yourself and reg it. The difference is that with the current bill, C&R long guns could still be shipped directly to an 03, (with a COE) unlike C&R handguns.

Capybara
05-01-2012, 10:56 AM
No C&R or COE, CMP ships it to anyone who is a non-prohibited buyer via FedEx. Mine came last week, it was quite novel for the FedEx driver to just hand me a box containing a rifle. A pleasant experience.

GOEX FFF
05-01-2012, 11:00 AM
No C&R or COE, CMP ships it to anyone who is a non-prohibited buyer via FedEx. Mine came last week, it was quite novel for the FedEx driver to just hand me a box containing a rifle. A pleasant experience.

Ahh, Ok thanks for the info, that I did not know.

Carry on..

hoffmang
05-01-2012, 8:54 PM
The correct legal analysis for CMP is that they have preemption and can continue to ship directly to California. Whether they will figure that out remains an open question.

-Gene