PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any problems with their m&p compact?

chrisf
04-30-2012, 6:42 PM
I just picked up my wifes m&p9c and took it to the range a couple days ago. I gave it a thorough cleaning/lubing before we took it to the range. After about 50 rounds we got a light strike, Then about 20 rounds later I had a (don't know what you call it) But it was like a stovepipe with a loaded round. Do these guns have break-in periods or what? I was kinda pissed because my $300 sigma never jammed in its thousands of rounds use, We didn't expect the m&p to do this. Any info would be great. Im thinking the jam may have been due to the magazines being reaaaally tight (couldn't even load all 10 rounds until today) Thanks in advance.

c.j.
04-30-2012, 7:00 PM
I had one failure to fire in over 1200 rounds, but suspect the cheap ammo I was using. A stovepiped loaded round seems very odd though...not even sure in my head how that one happens!

doublevision
04-30-2012, 7:23 PM
I don't have a compact, but my M&P broke its trigger after about 750 rounds. Total dead trigger. All factory Federal ammo. I'm a sad panda.
Oh yea, full magazines are a total pain to fully insert. You really need to be certain it is in.
So far, I'm not all that happy with the gun. I'm glad I have my 1911 to fall back on.

Olav
04-30-2012, 7:26 PM
I've had my M&P9c for 2 years with 3K rounds minimum through it and not a problem. I use 115gr Brown Bear steel cased ammo and PMC.

I use my M&P9 full size magazines mainly in the compact though. But when I have used the compact magazines I have never had any issues either.

Olav
04-30-2012, 7:29 PM
I don't have a compact, but my M&P broke its trigger after about 750 rounds. Total dead trigger. All factory Federal ammo. I'm a sad panda.
Oh yea, full magazines are a total pain to fully insert. You really need to be certain it is in.
So far, I'm not all that happy with the gun. I'm glad I have my 1911 to fall back on.

I'll buy it from you if you want to sell it.

stacym
04-30-2012, 7:31 PM
No issues of that nature with my 9c. Don't think I've had any kind of malfunctions. I'm close to 1000 rounds now. I put an apex kit in, and am disappointed the trigger is still a bit mushy. Not near as crisp as my FS M&P9. Might take it down & put together again, just to make sure everything's lined up correctly!

If you're having malfunctions straight from the factory, I'd send it back.

InGrAM
04-30-2012, 8:21 PM
That would piss me off too. I never had any problems with my M&P9 but,

How many rounds did you run through it that day after the problems?

Did you try to second strike the "light primer strike" cartridge? If so, did it go bang?

The magazines are always very, very stiff. They will wear in if you leave them loaded or repeatedly load and unload them with snap caps or cases.

timmyb21
04-30-2012, 8:25 PM
I have 2 m&p 9s, both have been flawless, I picked up my latest one last saturday and put 300 round through it today. Not one malfunction. If it continues give S&W a call, they'll fix it for free.

ParadigmGuy
04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
The only issues I had with it initially are when my wife was firing it. She didn't fully insert the magazines and it failed on her several times. I had no issues firing it, and still have yet to have any problems with my 40c.

Sam
04-30-2012, 10:57 PM
I've got more than 3k rounds through mine in a little less than a year. Absolutely zero problems. I really abuse mine too, I've only cleaned and oiled it once, and that was at the 2k round mark.

CZ9
04-30-2012, 11:18 PM
I've had one light primer strike in about 1k rounds, no other jams. But (this part ruined my day lol) the first time out with the pistol the front sight white dot came off, not the actual sight but the little white dot had to be re painted lol.

teflondog
05-01-2012, 7:41 AM
My gf had a M&P9c that exhibited accuracy problems from the start. From a ransom rest, it would shoot 2" groups at 7 yards. S&W said that it was acceptable for that gun so she sold it. She replaced it with an XD9sc that will shoot a ragged hole at 7 yards.

zfields
05-01-2012, 9:52 AM
My gf had a M&P9c that exhibited accuracy problems from the start. From a ransom rest, it would shoot 2" groups at 7 yards. S&W said that it was acceptable for that gun so she sold it. She replaced it with an XD9sc that will shoot a ragged hole at 7 yards.

Wow, that is ridiculous.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
05-01-2012, 10:33 AM
After 500+- rounds mine began to sing. Takes them a minute to break in. If problems still persist send it back. S&W is darn near the best customer service and really fast turn around. They will make it right for sure

Legasat
05-01-2012, 1:05 PM
I have had zero problems with mine. 3 years and 2,000 rounds +

Eats everything I feed it, accurate, reliable, comfortable.

Luv mine. If you continue to have problems, send it back to S&W, let them work it out.

Shenaniguns
05-01-2012, 1:13 PM
I had 2 failures to fire early with my FS9 that had the old "weaker" black striker, replacing it with the newer silver striker with a modified geometry and stronger factory spring fixed it. Those are the only failures I've had in a couple thousand rounds out of my FS9 and 9c.

tbc
05-01-2012, 2:25 PM
A light strike could be the ammo.

A stove pipe with a loaded ammo was interesting but I have experienced it. It happened to my new HK p2000 when a female friend tried it on her first range session. I noticed it when I unjammed it for her.

Sent from IPhone

Soul_Cal
05-01-2012, 3:20 PM
My M&P9C has been rock solid. Just finished a range session using Bullet_Man911 reloads, Jack Ross reloads, and Federal Champion with no issues.

Try some different ammo and don't load your mags to the max until they loosen up. You should be good to go. If that doesn't work, send it back to S&W. Don't send them any mags and you should get a free mag when you get your pistol back ;)

On another note, consider picking up some Apex Tactical parts for the M&P. You will be amazed what these parts will do for the M&P.

chrisf
05-01-2012, 4:21 PM
Well everyone I have a little update......
My wife was pretty upset with the reliability early on so we decided to go buy 200 rounds of pmc and head to the range no problems at all so I'm feeling a little better about it. Thanks for all your guys input. ^^ Apex parts are on my list shortly.

Ron-Solo
05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I have the M&P 9, 9c, and 45.

Zero malfunctions on any of them.

Bobby Ricigliano
05-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Wow.. I think the OP might have gotten a RARE M&P Lemon. I have the M&P Full and compact. I have shot more than 1,000 rounds through each pistol. One dud round (100% ammo related, cheap lowest bidder shooting trailer ammo) with the Full size and zero malfunctions with the compact. I have carried both weapons on and off duty and I have total faith in them.

Gryff
05-02-2012, 7:07 AM
I have the M&P40c as my LTC gun. About 1,000 rounds through it without a single malfunction.

jdmacl
05-02-2012, 8:31 PM
I've had my M&P .40C for over two years, several thousands round through it and never so much as a hiccup; never any fte, ftf,etc. I love it!

Nor Cal Guy
05-02-2012, 11:50 PM
have the 40c
When i first got it i had 1k of wolf ammo already and it absolute hated it several fte cant remember exactly but it happened about ever 20 shots or so. Switched and tried other ammo brands (all brass) and they all run flawlessly. After firing a couple thousand rounds through i tried the wolf ammo again (still had some left) and it was better but still had 1 fte in about 150 rounds.
I clean my guns usually after ever range trip but i wanted to see how it did when it was "dirty". I only got up to about 700 or so rounds before cleaning it before a idpa style shoot. I didnt have a single issue.

One thing that bothers me though is the paint on the front sight fell out in the first 100 rounds, and both the backs have falling out now as well apparently its a known issue. I just put in some white nail polish and it hasent failed me yet, and has way out lived the factory paint life i got.

on a side note, i have the storm lake conversion barrel for 9mm as well and never had a issue with steel case ammo (i bought several boxes of varying brands to test it). I never use it any more though since i started reloading and shooting 9mm isent going to save me that much $ now any ways.

USM0083
05-03-2012, 6:15 PM
My agency just went to M&P .45s and I've been through the armorer course.

Two issues:

During your "thorough" cleaning did you get lube into the plastic bushing around the striker? It is white and you can see part of it behind the striker when you look at the underside of the slide. Lube in that area can attract debris and residue and cause the striker to drag. I was told by my instructor, who is the national LE sales rep, NOT to get any lube in that area.

Second, what type of ammo are you shooting? At least with the .45s, there is an issue with tight extractors that prevent rounds from completely chambering. Usually it is with bulk ammo where the rim thickness varies.

For me, it's with Speer .45 frangible.