PDA

View Full Version : 10mm carbine/10mm ar pistol?

CAglock20c
04-30-2012, 6:09 PM
other than the olympic arms model, is there anyone else that manufactures a 10mm AR lower and/or upper? I think it would be a great round in an AR pistol, or even an AR M4 style carbine. Heck, even in a Mini-14 configuration it would be a great brush gun like the Ruger 44 mag carbine back in the day! what do you guys think?

MaxMoto
04-30-2012, 6:32 PM

clutchy
04-30-2012, 6:36 PM
I think 10mm is more expensive than 5.56... I would love a glock 20 but i don't understand the point of putting an expensive pistol cartridge in a rifle. I get 9mm sure but 10mm nope, stumped.

gminor60
04-30-2012, 6:38 PM
I found some place called bazooka brothers that would make one from scratch but I don't know the quality of their work. I also heard OA was not the best and the person I spoke with was not very knowledgable.

Turo
04-30-2012, 6:53 PM
Most factory 10mm loads can benefit ballistically from longer than average pistol barrels, so I'd assume a 10mm AR pistol or carbine would be a great little hog/brush gun. Check out the BallisticsByTheInch page on 10mm: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

supersonic
04-30-2012, 7:14 PM
This last Wednesday, I pushed a 135-grain Nosler JHP to almost 1800 fps. out of my G-20 using a "special" handload using my favorite powder (Alliant Power Pistol) and a LWD 6" BBL. I calculated the muzzle energy at somewhere around 950 ft. lbs. I have all the data written down and will do a write up here soon. 10mm F'n RULES.

sevans
04-30-2012, 7:59 PM
other than the olympic arms model, is there anyone else that manufactures a 10mm AR lower and/or upper? I think it would be a great round in an AR pistol, or even an AR M4 style carbine. Heck, even in a Mini-14 configuration it would be a great brush gun like the Ruger 44 mag carbine back in the day! what do you guys think?

I have the Olympic carbine upper and am very happy with it. Very accurate and runs all day. The best other option is probably the HK style clones in 10mm. Lone Wolf was talking about doing an AR upper in 10mm but I don't believe they've every actually built them. An AR pistol upper could be easily done as well. UZI in 10mm is also a possibility but harder to source mags these days if you don't already have .41 AE mags.

The big thing for me is that 10mm is really the only round that I consistently reload so nice for ammo sharing with the pistols.

elSquid
04-30-2012, 9:48 PM
Thureon Defense has a 10mm carbine that takes Glock mags:

http://www.thureondefense.com

I don't know much about it, other than watching a Hickok45 review of the 9mm version.

-- Michael

Munk
04-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Get a semi-auto version of the MP5/10, (10mm SMG). Get a nice extended barrel on it to take advantage of that large case capacity so you can push those bullets screamingly fast.

CAglock20c
04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Get a semi-auto version of the MP5/10, (10mm SMG). Get a nice extended barrel on it to take advantage of that large case capacity so you can push those bullets screamingly fast.

Im sure an MP5 version would be extremely hard to find and very expensive, besides i prefer the AR platform...

This last Wednesday, I pushed a 135-grain Nosler JHP to almost 1800 fps. out of my G-20 using a "special" handload using my favorite powder (Alliant Power Pistol) and a LWD 6" BBL. I calculated the muzzle energy at somewhere around 950 ft. lbs. I have all the data written down and will do a write up here soon. 10mm F'n RULES.

sounds like you and I would get along very well! I love the 10mm...i think an AR carbine/pistol would make one hell of a fun toy!

Thureon Defense has a 10mm carbine that takes Glock mags:

http://www.thureondefense.com

I don't know much about it, other than watching a Hickok45 review of the 9mm version.

-- Michael

i was looking at their website earlier today...any idea how much their setup runs?

supersonic
05-01-2012, 5:50 AM

Yeah, just TRY finding one of those. And in semi-auto as well. Good F'n luck! "SMG"'s are not allowed here in California.;)

sounds like you and I would get along very well! I love the 10mm...i think an AR carbine/pistol would make one hell of a fun toy!

Alright! Then read my story from another thread:

Okay, here you go: .40 S&W stands for ".40-caliber, Short & Weak." Get a 10MM. You'll be much happier. If you want .40 S&W power, just buy anything off the shelf of your local gun store (except Buffalo Bore or Winchester Silvertips), or if you handload, just use 135-180-grain bullets with a light powder charge, and you will have your .40. Now, if you want a real 10MM load (and the kind of power that it was designed to deliver) just work a 180-grain bonded bullet up to 1400 fps+ and you will then have a round that will go through the windshield of a car and end up in the rear wheel (and that is including passing through an occupant in one of the front seats); the seat itself; the rear seat; the front trunk wall; the rear quarter panel; and the tire). I also have a 200-grain handload that does over 1350 fps and a 135-grainer that does 1750 fps, but haven't tested these, though I'm sure the results would be just as - if not more - devastating.

crazychinaman
05-01-2012, 7:08 AM
goggle Ron Williams out Florida.He does conversions for the AR family in 45 acp and 10mm that uses Uzi mags and grease gun mags.

Munk
05-01-2012, 8:46 AM
Yeah, just TRY finding one of those. And in semi-auto as well. Good F'n luck! "SMG"'s are not allowed here in California.;)

Alright! Then read my story from another thread:

Heh, my little notation of (SMG) was referring to the actual MP5/10. As far as getting a semi? I have no clue how difficult it would be, i would imagine "Very".

44fred
05-01-2012, 9:10 AM
Most factory 10mm loads can benefit ballistically from longer than average pistol barrels, so I'd assume a 10mm AR pistol or carbine would be a great little hog/brush gun. Check out the BallisticsByTheInch page on 10mm: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html

Thank you for that site link. Amazing how most handgun cartridges don't gain as high % increase when adding inches to the barrel as do most rifle cartridges.
I know it's all about what the original intent of the cartridge was designed for. I know that a longer barrel is always more accurate for obvious reasons but not necessarily that much more deadly.

When I retire, I'd like to do something similar to find out when a cartridge begins to slow down or stop increasing in speed. Maybe I'll find with my first experiment that starting with a 50" barrel is just stupid and extremely impractical. As I remember this was done with .22LR a long time ago. I forget what the optimum bbl length was for speed with the average ammo of the day was.

Then you start to throw in hand loads and all bets are off.