PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 Sight Adjustment

GunHo
04-30-2012, 12:03 PM
My P226 sights are off. This was my 1st gun 6 months ago and as a beginner, I would be considered a fool trying to blame my sights for my terrible shooting results. Well, 6 months and 6 guns later, I have evidence to blame the sights now. I have 2 other pistols with adjustable rear sights that I group with pretty well. I shot the P226 exact same way and it was going way left and low.

This is how I have to line up my sights to hit my target:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/testarija/SightAlignment03.jpg

Any Sig owners have a similar experience? Better question; any Sig owners with the same problem fix/adjust their sights? Would really appreciate your advise.

sonnyt650
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
For my P226 I initially had to similarly lollipop the front dot over the top of the rear sight, though I've since been able to get it much closer without changing out the sights. Shooting from a rest or using one of those laser bore sighters the sights are almost perfectly spot on, so it was just me. There was some question in my mind whether heavy bullets (180gr) could cause such a change in POI, however after working on trigger pull via lots of dry firing the recoil anticipation in my hold went away.

AeroEngi
04-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Send it to Sig and have them fix it.

Sig Marine
04-30-2012, 12:31 PM
The rule of thumb is to move your rear sight in the SAME direction you want your POI (point of impact) to move. So, since your weapon is shooting left, move the rear sight to the right. Front sights can also be moved but in the OPPOSITE direction. Moving the rear sight will affect POI more than the front. I typically move both sights in their respective directions unless one of the sights is clearly off-center in their dovetail.

As for low, since I don't know what sight picture you are holding I've included a diagram with three different sight images. Sigs typically use number 3. If using either 1 or 2, the gun will appear to shoot low.

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h458/SigMarine/sightimages.jpg

When using sight picture #3, once the sights are aligned, "shoot the dot". This doesn't mean you can't swap-out sights to attain the sight picture you find most useful. Remember with Sigs, they have numbered their sights, front and rear, so that if you want to raise your POI, use a higher numbered sight. If you want to lower your POI, use a lower numbered sight.

Hope this helps...Sig Marine (Certified Sig Armorer)

GunHo
04-30-2012, 1:01 PM
Thanks to all for the advice and a special thanks to Sig Marine. As a certified Sig man, I'll definitely take your word for it. The illustration you provided certainly helps. With all my guns, I shoot with image #1. I'll try image #3 nexttime. I guess I'll be covering my target with the Sig.

91 whiskey 209
04-30-2012, 2:12 PM
I've only been trained to use image #2. Image #1 seems very odd to me, although I AM a noob. I recently purchased a sig 226 but have not shot it yet. I will make sure to use sight image #3. Thanks for the info.

9mmepiphany
04-30-2012, 3:49 PM
Image #1 is an old target shooter's sight picture and is used when the distance to the target is known.

I've always used sight picture #2 with my SIGs 220/226/228/P6 and haven't had a problem.

OP - Does it shoot low and left regardless if you are shooting it unsupported and off a rest?

Does it shoot to the same point for other shooters?