PDA

View Full Version : Bed Side Safe

salazar44
04-30-2012, 9:28 AM
What type of safe do you use next to your bed? What is your review on it?

Javi
04-30-2012, 9:41 AM
I own the "Stack-On PDS-500":

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GvUwH5LTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61FwFEdd7yL._AA300_.jpg
^Amazon pictures. Sadly I don't own a 1911 at the moment :(

I like it! It's suppose to be a drawer safe but drilling it into one would be pointless as someone could just take the thing with it! It goes under the bed, unlocked at night. You can 5 magazines surrounding the gun with 1 fitted inside the magwell. You can't however stack a magazine on top of the gun or on another mag because you won't be able to close it. To unlock it, it's 4 numbers plus the * sign. I can open it pretty fast & have tried it in the dark but you have to make sure you press all the way down because you can press it slightly & it doesn't recognize you did so I just keep it simple & leave it unlocked. It has 3 lights on it, one will flash each time you press a button. It beeps after you press each button but there's an option to turn it off completely, I keep it on silent. Has that feature where too many incorrect attempts at unlocking it will lock someone out. It has 2, pretty beefy bolts on the side. I'll have to see if I can find out how long I've had it but I'll say..8 months? And the battery is still doing well(This is the battery that came with the safe). It has a hidden key lock so you can open it that way if you choose to or your battery is drained. It's a little heavy n' bulky so I want to get this for my range bag or other situations where I don't have a 'locked container':

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q%2B%2BlPUt4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cnynrat
04-30-2012, 9:44 AM
We have a pair of Titan Gun Vaults. I recommend them. Features I like:

Quick access push button lock

Combination can have simultaneous press of two or more buttons which makes for fast access with difficult to guess combinations.

With the safe open you can easily remove the safe from the mounting plate which allows you to easily move the safe between two or more locations such as an RV or a second home.

calif 15-22
04-30-2012, 11:21 AM
This is what I have next to the bed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8

I like the fact the buttons are on top AND it presents the gun ready to grab. I'm getting a second one I like it so much.

billped
04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
I have the same stack-on as Javi and am very pleased. I mounted it upside down on the bedframe so the door opens down, permitting one-hand operation. I test it monthly and thus far, no issue with battery life (five months).

A key is hidden nearby and my larger safe is 15 seconds away if the handgun safe fails.

SoCalSig1911
04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I want to get one of these for next to my bed.. Not bad for $86 shipped from amazon..

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w87/SoCal335i/91cCn1lBOkL_AA1500_.jpg

salazar44
04-30-2012, 12:07 PM
This is what I have next to the bed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8

I like the fact the buttons are on top AND it presents the gun ready to grab. I'm getting a second one I like it so much.

OH.. I like this one.
FAS1 SAFE

cdnpuck
04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
I have this one. Perfect size and the access code is easy to use but hard to crack
http://www.gunvault.com/mv500-std-microvault.html

Bug Splat
04-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Gunvault's Minivault Delux is what I use. Bought it back in 2002 I think. I could not be more happy with mine. I have heard mixed reviews about the battery life of these units. Some are saying they only last a couple months. I open mine at least twice a day and I did not get a warning light until 6 years later. It has always opened for me and I never have to look at it while I punch in the code. Its muscle memory now and takes me less than a second to open.

salazar44
04-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Gunvault's Minivault Delux is what I use. Bought it back in 2002 I think. I could not be more happy with mine. I have heard mixed reviews about the battery life of these units. Some are saying they only last a couple months. I open mine at least twice a day and I did not get a warning light until 6 years later. It has always opened for me and I never have to look at it while I punch in the code. Its muscle memory now and takes me less than a second to open.

Yes, A close friend of mine complains about the same thing (poor battery life). His battery goes bad every month. Thats why I posted this thread to see if there were better options.

JMP
04-30-2012, 12:57 PM
If you are getting something with batteries, I'd have two safes ready to go just in case.

chrisf
04-30-2012, 1:12 PM
Then what happens if a BG is coming in your door, And your gun is in the safe?

tal3nt
04-30-2012, 1:32 PM
Just set it on your nightstand and lock it up during the day.

Solid Foundation
04-30-2012, 2:15 PM
Yes, A close friend of mine complains about the same thing (poor battery life). His battery goes bad every month. Thats why I posted this thread to see if there were better options.

Seems this is a common complaint. They must have changed designs at some point. I've had my multivault for 10+ years and have never changed the batteries.

I should probably soon, just in case....

Bug Splat
04-30-2012, 2:47 PM

Not a great solution for people with kids. If something were to happen you can be sure child services would take your kids for endangerment. A small safe bolted to a heavy object within reach that can be opened in the dark is the best option.

salazar44
04-30-2012, 3:11 PM
Then what happens if a BG is coming in your door, And your gun is in the safe?

Then you are SOL... and gotta hope your ***** kicking skills can save you and your families lives.

Not a great solution for people with kids. If something were to happen you can be sure child services would take your kids for endangerment. A small safe bolted to a heavy object within reach that can be opened in the dark is the best option.

Agreed!

tacticalcity
04-30-2012, 4:24 PM

Depends on the age and responsibility of the kids. At some point you are doing them a disservice by sheltering them. Assuming they are normal, and nothing is wrong with them. I say that because I have a younger cousin that I would never let within a mile of gun. Kid is not right in the head. The type to point the gun at you and pull the trigger just to see what would happen...because you told him not to do it, he will keep on doing it…the kid is just off. All the other nephews and nieces grew up with firearms safety from a very early age, thanks to me.

I'm told the Eddie The Eagle program from the NRA has a lot of information on how to educate kids on firearms, and has different age appropriate materials. I've never used them, but I assume they are useful.

My law enforcement buddy is doing his best to engrain firearms safety into his two very young daughters. They are both still at the "Stop, go tell an adult phase." Believe it or not it works. They get tested with an unloaded pellet gun every once in a while by their parents, and the kids pass every time (with an early miss step or two). Once he feels they are responsible enough he will move onto to more complicated things. It is hard, because there is three years difference in age, and the younger child wants to do everything the older child does. So you have to almost wait for the younger one to catch up responsibility wise. But with all their various cop friends around, and all their friends parents who have guns, the girls need to be able to watch out for themselves and do the right thing if one of their friends stumbles across a gun.

I personally grew up with all kinds of guns in the house. Father never had a safe. The idea of “playing” with Dad’s guns was unthinkable. Not just because of the beating he would give me (more in my head than in reality probably), but because I knew they were dangerous and were not to be treated like toys. I also knew that if I ever wanted to go shooting, no matter how young I was or how business my father was he would make time and we would go together. If I just wanted to check them out, he would stop what he was doing and we would go over firearms safety and he would let me hold the cleared and safe firearm for a little bit. Always including lessons like clearing it properly, finger off the trigger, never point it at anything you are not willing to destroy, and so on. They were not off limits, he just had to be there. No mystery to them? No messing around with them.

Lead Waster
04-30-2012, 4:33 PM
Then you are SOL... and gotta hope your ***** kicking skills can save you and your families lives.

Agreed!

Well, you know your house and where all the furniture is. You can keep a big honking maglite next to your bed, or a Louiseville Slugger behind the bedroom door. Once you know the BG is there, you have the drop on them. Even if you stand quietly behind your bedroom door, or behind a corner in the hallway, the BG will be eating a foot of baseball bat.

My house is very very very small. If I hear a noise, they are already within 15 feet of either bedroom. My maglite and berzerker rage is all I have to offer until my kids are old enough to not touch all my stuff (even if it's in a bedside safe).

USAbodypilot
04-30-2012, 4:35 PM
Not a great solution for people with kids.

^^^this

The ankle biters will find it the one day you forget to lock it up.

I use two pistol safes upstairs as the long gun safe is way out of reach for night zombies that might be roaming around the house. One by the bed and the other in the closet as a backup or retreat to room if it gets hairy.

creepyoldgamer
04-30-2012, 4:36 PM
I would suggest one that does not beep loudly with each button press, nothing like letting everyone in the dark quiet house know you are opening it.

SoCalSig1911
04-30-2012, 4:39 PM
I would suggest one that does not beep loudly with each button press, nothing like letting everyone in the dark quiet house know you are opening it.

You can always cut the wire to the speaker from the inside and then you have the lights to let you know that you opened it. That's what i did with my sentry, good call though!

tacticalcity
04-30-2012, 4:46 PM
Kids are about the only reasons I could justify a bed side gun safe. I don't care how fast you can get it open, Murphy's Law says it will not be fast enough. Kinda like the "I'll wrack my slide to fill the empty chamber" argument. Just not enough time for that kinda Chuck Norris / Rambo crap.

I keep the guns locked up when I am not home. Guns get locked up into the large safe every morning on the way to work, and the safe gets unlocked when I get home. But then again, I don't have kids. Nightstand gun is loaded and ready to go. In my apartment, if I get any warning at all I'll be lucky...and even the place is so small it won't take but a second or two to get to me.

Not that I think that is something that is imminent. I just figure if I am going be prepared, might as well be prepared for the worst case scenario, and not a slightly bad but manageable scenario. Murphy is way too unforgiving for that!

I would like something for my car, but I would want something that works for the rifle as well. Something that says "if you want the guns you'll need to take the entire car." But the trunk is so tiny it's just not practical. The Lexus IS has a next to worthless trunk as it is. Back seat doesn't fold down to add more room. I was really disappointed with the lack of that feature. I am always having to get creative when moving things around in there. My bug out bag gets a lot of abuse just from being moved around.

Javi
04-30-2012, 4:55 PM

Oh, you reminded me. The Stack-On I have has the option to turn sound off. I've had it off for so long, I had forgotten there was an option! I'll have to edit that in. Pretty cool little thing for under $50

gl0ckc0ma
04-30-2012, 4:59 PM
I have this on my nightstand.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61bRoCU2PeL._AA1000_.jpg

thatryan
04-30-2012, 6:13 PM

How do you like this one? I just ordered the non-biometric version of it...

hornswaggled
04-30-2012, 9:45 PM
AMSEC with mechanical push-button combo lock. No batteries required and I can get it opened in the dark half asleep in 2 seconds.

ThiZZ
04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.gunvault.com/speedvault-biometric-svb500.html

http://www.gunvault.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/p/speedvaultbio-2.png

I bought it for like 120 on amazon i think

ChaneRZ
04-30-2012, 11:28 PM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/chanerz12/3e66ca3b.jpg

Strykeback
05-01-2012, 1:07 AM
I liked this one as well minus the biometric reading since ive heard its kind of hit and miss plus slow.

Its that or a standard larger fire safe for the guns plus important documents and jewelry. The smaller ones look like they could be stolen way too easily.

calif 15-22
05-01-2012, 7:02 AM
OH.. I like this one.
FAS1 SAFE

I did a ton of research before getting the FAS1. The biggest selling point was no batteries and I can change the combo as needed. Anything from 6 pushes to one push. I have it set at 2 pushes.

The way it "presents" the gun with a top opening and the gun holstered is very cool and easy to access. Not as quick as a nightstand but I have kids and kids friends in the house all the time so I must have them locked.

The "biometric" are cool but not foolproof or failsafe meaning in a panic it could take a couple of reads to open.

Batteries die when you least expect it then you are hosed.

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 7:37 AM
Fas1 looks like a winner. Does anybody have a discount code or discount website that they can pm me with? Thanks in advance

Lead Waster
05-01-2012, 8:45 AM
ChaneRZ, are you left handed?

calif 15-22
05-01-2012, 8:48 AM
Fas1 looks like a winner. Does anybody have a discount code or discount website that they can pm me with? Thanks in advance

Not sure he is a vendor here but I believe I've seen him post on the 1911 forum

Here is the website:

http://fas1safe.com/

The thing is a freaking tank. Very well built. A bit pricey but I think well worth it. I have mine programmed with 2 button pushes to open. The best part is the lid is spring loaded so the the entire top opens with the gun in a holster ready to draw. No batteries, nothing to fail.

I have mine with mag loaded but not chambered. I know others will give me grief but that's how I store my XD9 Tactical.

I practice opening it at least once a week. I can unlock and have gun in hand in 3 seconds. Probably would be longer in a just awaken state but good enough for me. Just the fact that it is bedside gives me piece of mind.

Good luck . . .

gwanghoops
05-01-2012, 9:10 AM
+1 for FAS1.

Very sturdy. You can order it with a "tactical" holster for a light-mounted handgun. Very minor gripe -- no place for extra magazines.

CBruce
05-01-2012, 9:19 AM
Got one of these delivered yesterday for about $40
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J6epF4fmL.jpg
Bulldog BD1050 Digital Vault

Mainly to keep the kids out. It's a cheaper safe, but still feels pretty solid, very roomy, and generally very positive reviews on various sights.

calif 15-22
05-01-2012, 9:20 AM
+1 for FAS1.

Very sturdy. You can order it with a "tactical" holster for a light-mounted handgun. Very minor gripe -- no place for extra magazines.

Yeah the extra mag for me is on my dresser. I tried storing it in the bottom of the FAS1 but to hard to get out in a crisis mode. I also played with velco mag pouch on outside of safe, but that too was not easily accessed so now extra mag on dresser.

So grab-in-go with 10 in and 10 more:cool:

RJonesUSC
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM

I have the same one with a small battery backup that it's plugged into: http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE350G-UPS-System/dp/B001985SWW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335895895&sr=8-5

Strykeback
05-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Glockoma or RJ. About how heavy is that unit just sitting out on your niggtstand? Id be more worried about someone stealing the entire unit when im not home or is it pretty well anchored?

CaffeinFeign
05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I want to get one of these for next to my bed.. Not bad for $86 shipped from amazon..

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w87/SoCal335i/91cCn1lBOkL_AA1500_.jpg

I have this in my headboard and its alright....I have figured out that there is no way I can open it if ripped out of a sound sleep...so i leave it open while I sleep at night and close it after I shut off my alarm in the morning....

Strykeback
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Glockoma or RJ. About how heavy is that unit just sitting out on your niggtstand? Id be more worried about someone stealing the entire unit when im not home or is it pretty well anchored?

SoCalSig1911
05-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I have this in my headboard and its alright....I have figured out that there is no way I can open it if ripped out of a sound sleep...so i leave it open while I sleep at night and close it after I shut off my alarm in the morning....

That's a good idea! After reading all of the reviews so far from everyone i am leaning towards that Fas1 safe because of how easy it is to open, no batteries, and also no noise.

billped
05-01-2012, 10:56 AM
FYI - handgun safes are not intended to stop someone from stealing the entire safe, they are far too light and poorly anchored. The only jobs I am looking for the handgun safe to do are:
1. Keep the kids and cleaning people out
2. Provide a nice storage place for the gun where it won't get banged around and I always know EXACTLY where it is, not "oh, it's somewhere under this stack of newspapers!"

SoCalSig1911
05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
FYI - handgun safes are not intended to stop someone from stealing the entire safe, they are far too light and poorly anchored. The only jobs I am looking for the handgun safe to do are:
1. Keep the kids and cleaning people out
2. Provide a nice storage place for the gun where it won't get banged around and I always know EXACTLY where it is, not "oh, it's somewhere under this stack of newspapers!"

Not really what we are discussing here, more along the lines of how fast you can get to your gun while asleep if someone is trying to or breaking into where you live..

Lead Waster
05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Not really what we are discussing here, more along the lines of how fast you can get to your gun while asleep if someone is trying to or breaking into where you live..

This also depends on how secure your door is!

One donkey kick and the door jamb will splinter open. But put in some extra longer screws along the jamb and/or reinforce it and the deadbolt with some steel (and don't forget the hinge side! and that will buy you more time! It might also kill you if there is a fire and the fireman can't get in! But in a fire, I welcome the firemen to toss an ax through a window.

SoCalSig1911
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
This also depends on how secure your door is!

One donkey kick and the door jamb will splinter open. But put in some extra longer screws along the jamb and/or reinforce it and the deadbolt with some steel (and don't forget the hinge side! and that will buy you more time! It might also kill you if there is a fire and the fireman can't get in! But in a fire, I welcome the firemen to toss an ax through a window.

You could secure the door, but then the crook will come in through a window.. There is no end to the imagination but all you can do is try to prepare as best you can without looking like a coo coo.. I say a gun near your bed locked in a box is about as good as you can get if you have kids. If you don't have kids just keep it on the nightstand with a flashlight and lock it up in the morning before you leave. What else can you do?

NeenachGuy
05-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I know it's not a "safe," but at night I keep my gun right next to me on the side of the bed using the Ojai/Bedside Backup from Crossbreed Holsters.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Portals/0/Images/400_bedside.png

The handgun goes back in the gun safe every morning when I make the bed.

billped
05-01-2012, 12:39 PM

It was exactly what we were discussing in the posts immediately prior to mine asking about theft prevention. Strykeback can be accused of taking a minor detour, but it was relevant and I replied.

No, I didn't quote, I figured anyone reading the thread would navigate the ebb and flow of the conversation.

Strykeback
05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
My apologies to everyone for derailing the thread. But everything everyone has said is extremely useful and im learning from your guys experience and opinions. Carry on.
:)

SoCalSig1911
05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
It was exactly what we were discussing in the posts immediately prior to mine asking about theft prevention. Strykeback can be accused of taking a minor detour, but it was relevant and I replied.

No, I didn't quote, I figured anyone reading the thread would navigate the ebb and flow of the conversation.

My bad.. I thought we were discussing a good safe to keep near the bed in case of a break in.. Whoops! :D

RedFord150
05-01-2012, 1:17 PM
Homak small pistol safe for me, bolted inside a nightstand drawer. Current AA batteries are over a year old, still work fine.

http://www.homaksecurity.com/PistolBoxes.html

I unlock the safe when I get home, close it when I leave. The small safe barely fits my Ruger Speed Six with 2 3/4" barrel. Before you buy, check the fit for your gun.

salazar44
05-01-2012, 1:25 PM
My bad.. I thought we were discussing a good safe to keep near the bed in case of a break in.. Whoops! :D

Yes.. we all have opinions, but you are correct. I would like to stick to my original question in my OP. Just what safe you are using and basically your review... pros/cons.

Thanks.. and all interesting stuff. learned some new safes and good locations for them!

khw9mm
05-01-2012, 1:42 PM
I have the Homak that RedFord recommended. I've had it for almost 2 years and still haven't changed the battery. Only drawback is that it's kinda bulky for my nightstand.

I'm considering the FAS1 now. =)

91 whiskey 209
05-01-2012, 2:13 PM
Someone should try and get a group buy on that fas1 safe going... We might get a good price if enough people are willing to buy.

RedFord150
05-01-2012, 2:31 PM
I have the Homak that RedFord recommended. I've had it for almost 2 years and still haven't changed the battery. Only drawback is that it's kinda bulky for my nightstand....

My nightstand has a top drawer that is very deep. I bolted it to the side away from my bed so that it faces me. If I lay in bed and open the drawer, I am looking right at the opening.
The revolver fits in the safe with the barrel pointed downward. I have really had to train my wife to keep her finger out of the trigger guard until the gun is out and sitting properly in her hand. I am afraid that she will lift a loaded gun by the trigger and we have a problem.
These are all good observations.

orthopod
05-01-2012, 2:32 PM
+1 for a fas1 group buy that thing looks perfect!

calif 15-22
05-01-2012, 2:40 PM
+1 for a fas1 group buy that thing looks perfect!

I hope I didn't step on toes but I sent the thread link to FAS1 via the contact page and asked for a group coupon or discount.

SoCalSig1911
05-01-2012, 2:57 PM
I hope I didn't step on toes but I sent the thread link to FAS1 via the contact page and asked for a group coupon or discount.

Sweet! Hopefully they reply.. Keep us posted. I noticed a thread that they were selling for $189 in the fall of last year i think..

edgalang
05-01-2012, 4:02 PM
The FAS1 looks like a cheaper, non portable version of the Titan.

http://www.titangunvault.com/gun-safe/titan-gun-vault

If I knew about it a year ago I might have bought it instead of this...

http://www.barska.com/Biometric_Safe-Biometric_Safe_with_Fingerprint_LocK.html

My barska is currently bolted in a closet shelf similar to what you'll find in a fancy hotel room. My install looks nice and professional, but still a PIA to get out of bed to open.

Squid
05-01-2012, 8:11 PM
Many of the same issues, but different.

I sense people don't consider safe malfunctions/human error to be as bad as possible LG issues.

Plus, as some have stated here, what is to stop any 12yr old with a shopping cart from just taking the whole 'Safe', which could then be opened by any teenagers at their leisure?

I'd rather have a good Internal Lock that would take at least a very skilled and well equipped adult to defeat (if they wanted anything more than a paper-weight with a serial # and reward on their heads).

Plus, with a good Internal Lock you could have similar "me only" security when traveling, camping, etc.

Personally, being a heavy sleeper, I'd only have a locking gun in any situation like camping where I might be 'out'.

Please don't say "that is what your dog is for". Last camping trip all the dogs were completely fast asleep and slept through bacon being fried in the morning (I guess the horde of spazzed-out kids took a toll) ....not to mention becoming acclimated to 'strangers' stumbling every which way.

JayTee_IsMe
05-01-2012, 9:14 PM
I feel like an awful gun owner now lol. When I'm home it's either on me or in the nightstand when I'm sleep. No time for waking up turning on the light getting to the safe and putting in a code. Lost too many seconds. When I am not home it's either on me (legally) or in the safe with the rest unless the wife is home then there's one she favors to shoot easily accessible by only her.

RJonesUSC
05-02-2012, 7:01 AM

It's very light. There are bolts to attach it inside a nightstand or something if you'd like to dsecure it that way.

K3n
05-02-2012, 8:32 AM
http://www.ftknox.com/redesign/pistolboxes/

no batteries

calif 15-22
05-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Sweet! Hopefully they reply.. Keep us posted. I noticed a thread that they were selling for $189 in the fall of last year i think..

So I received a response from Glenn of FAS1. Who is offering a $15 discount to be $204 shipped on 5 or more. See the details below.

(FYI I'm not affiliated with FAS1 in any way, I'm just a satisfied customer)

"Hi Bob,
I appreciate the good things you have to say about my safe and I am glad you like it. Yes, I would be interested in offering a discount for a group buy. I can issue a coupon code that can be used during checkout. My current promo which you purchased on is $219.00 shipped. Average shipping to the West Coast is about $25 so at the current promo the safe itself would be priced at $194. As you can see I don't have a lot of room to work with but we can do something.
I created a coupon FAS1CalgunsGroup ($15.00 off discount) for a shipped price (UPS Ground) of $204.00 on 5 or more. With the code each person can purchase seperately and ship direct to them. Choose FAS1 or FAS1-TL handgun safes. Once 5 orders have been placed I will start shipping. I know it's not much, but it's what I am able to offer at this time.
Thanks again,
Glenn
"The Fast and Secure One"
http://www.fas1safe.com
Glenn@fas1safe.com
(210) 416-0086 - Phone
Here's a few details:

Welded construction - 3/16" steel plate (7 Gage)- weighs 21 lbs.
Welded in place non-exposed hinge pin - 3/8" solid steel
Recessed lid with door jam - pry resistant
Pushbutton mechanical lock - no batteries, electricity or fingerprint scans
Spring latch automatically re-locks when lid is closed
Holster presents gun as lid opens - gun is always in the same place and trigger is covered
Universal mount - drill holes and mount vertically or horizontally
Standard and tactical light holster available
Black powdercoat mini texture finish

MADE IN THE USA - San Antonio, TX"

gue55who
05-02-2012, 10:53 AM

this is what I do ^^

RUSSIAN
05-02-2012, 7:54 PM
The deluxe model of the gun vaults come with an ac adapter, and the batteries are just for back up. They also have a steel cable that you can attach to the bed frame to slow someone down for stealing it.

The_Tinman
05-02-2012, 9:05 PM
When I have the kids I throw a cheap brinks lock box in the night stand, no kids home, I rotate through the collection with one under my pillow. Some of my friends make fun of me for it but unlike them, I have no trouble falling asleep at night. :sleeping:

I'd like to upgrade and it looks like there is more of a market than I thought. I guess I can't just buy a gun vault and be done.

dog
05-02-2012, 9:32 PM
Great thread! Tagging for future reference.

Bug Splat
05-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I have my Minivault deluxe bolted to my big nightstand/dresser which weights at least 300lbs. The deluxe model also has a motion alarm. If the safe is moved the VERY loud alarm goes off and does not turn off until the code is entered. If someone is able to rip out the 6 heavy bolts with 2 inch washers they are going to be running down the street with a screaming safe going off.

gl0ckc0ma
05-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Sorry for the late reply,

Its not too heavy but very solid, the door fits tight and smooth, its meant not to allow a flathead screwdriver or knife to pry open. Like RJ said, it has holes on the bottom to allow for deadbolting, I do not have mine deadbolted (would like to, but just wont work with the nightstand I have), but I have it mainly for protection from my kids. I am gonna try and find a nightstand that will accomadate deadbolting and something the wife will approve of.

Old4eyes
05-04-2012, 3:16 PM
I use the DAC sport safe. It looks a lot like the Gun Vault but is less expensive. It DOES NOT come with an external power supply, ebay fixes that. And even with the cost of the external power supply, it was still less expensive.

The battery holder is flimsy, but it works.

If you buy an electronic opening device, get one with a key override. Batteries die, electronics fail, you punch in the wrong combo enough times the box locks you out for a while - all those problems get to the mechanical key backup.

While they advertise the DAC to hold two pistols, it ain't so. I replaced the upper shelf with a shorter one and store magazines on it. The stock shelf depth was interfering with my ability to easily grasp the pistol.

I own two of them, his and hers. Built shelves above the nightstands and mounted the boxes on them. This made it more sturdy and a little more theft resistant. But let's face it, these type of boxes are marginal theft protection.

Red Devil
05-04-2012, 3:35 PM
Might as well get one of these...

...they will be mandatory soon enough.

California Approved Bedside Gun-Safe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypFgcqHyvc)

It's for the Children...

Lead Waster
05-04-2012, 3:44 PM
If you bolt a small box/safe to the nightstand...make sure that the nightstand can't be taken! My "nightstand" weighs about 5 pounds, el cheapo table really, just big enough for a clock and lamp.

Are you guys bolting down the stand as well?

I think I'd have to compromise and if I did have a gun outside of the main safe, it would be in something like that FAS1 thing and it would have to be bolted inside the closet, rather than in/on the nightstand. My kids have recently decided that they should sneak into our bad every morning at 6:30 (ARGH!). I might not get to it in time, but at least it would be closer than the big safe.

But everyone's situation is different. For me a gun for HD is not workable. The house is too small (someone in the front door is just a quick sprint to the bedrooms) and the way the bedrooms are situated, if I had to shoot at some bad guy standing in my bedroom door, I'd be shooting in the direction of my kid's bedroom. In that case I'd rather take my chances swinging the maglight and biting and screaming than live with any consequences of firing a gun in my kids' direction!

waylonrobert
05-04-2012, 8:51 PM
What do you do if you are a heavy sleeper, like me?

ThiZZ
05-09-2012, 11:46 PM
So I received a response from Glenn of FAS1. Who is offering a $15 discount to be $204 shipped on 5 or more. See the details below.

"Hi Bob,
I appreciate the good things you have to say about my safe and I am glad you like it. Yes, I would be interested in offering a discount for a group buy. I can issue a coupon code that can be used during checkout. My current promo which you purchased on is $219.00 shipped. Average shipping to the West Coast is about $25 so at the current promo the safe itself would be priced at $194. As you can see I don't have a lot of room to work with but we can do something.
I created a coupon FAS1CalgunsGroup ($15.00 off discount) for a shipped price (UPS Ground) of $204.00 on 5 or more. With the code each person can purchase seperately and ship direct to them. Choose FAS1 or FAS1-TL handgun safes. Once 5 orders have been placed I will start shipping. I know it's not much, but it's what I am able to offer at this time.
Thanks again,
Glenn
Glenn@fas1safe.com
(210) 416-0086 - Phone
Here's a few details:

Holster presents gun as lid opens - gun is always in the same place and trigger is covered

So I got this email today.

Thanks for your order. I just wanted to give you an update since I try to ship as soon as possible. I have only received two orders on the Calgun.net group buy. You might want to see if you can get a few more people to take advantage of this pricing so we can start shipping.

Regards,
Glenn

orthopod
05-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Which would be the fas1 to get for a bedside glock 34 w light?

ThiZZ
05-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Which would be the fas1 to get for a bedside glock 34 w light?

http://www.fas1safe.com/product.sc;jsessionid=4E0C12B53B3F4AE792657403E7FB B56A.qscstrfrnt05?productId=2&categoryId=1

I would get that one cuz of the tactical light holster. Also make sure you use FAS1CalgunsGroup coupon code to get $15 off

unamused
05-13-2012, 12:01 AM

"Hi Bob,
Thanks again,
Glenn
Glenn@fas1safe.com
(210) 416-0086 - Phone
Here's a few details:

...one for the bed, one for the car (I have my LTC).

I'll try one of these out for the bed first and see how I like it!

I imagine the version built for a taclight will also work for a non taclight pistol?

judokadonk
05-13-2012, 2:53 PM
I placed an order too :)

unamused
05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Just got mine today.

VERY NICE. I am totally satisfied with the product. I havent tried changing the combo yet though. I'm debating if I want to get another to mount in my car but im unsure.

BTW, I got the version meant for a taclight however I currently do not have one. It fits fine FWIW.

ThiZZ
05-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Just got mine today.

VERY NICE. I am totally satisfied with the product. I havent tried changing the combo yet though. I'm debating if I want to get another to mount in my car but im unsure.

BTW, I got the version meant for a taclight however I currently do not have one. It fits fine FWIW.

the FAS1 safe? I got mine today. Im still trying to figure out how I am gonna mount it..... Do you have any ideas?

giantsfan
05-23-2012, 3:51 AM

+1 I'm in!

WolfSamurai
05-23-2012, 5:46 AM
I own a gun vault multisafe like this:

http://safeguardlegal.com/img-large/images/multivault-gunsafe_gv2000c-std.jpg

judokadonk
05-23-2012, 6:02 PM
the FAS1 safe? I got mine today. Im still trying to figure out how I am gonna mount it..... Do you have any ideas?

I got my FAS1 last week. Very thick steel, very impressive construction. I compared it with my friend's Titan(?) safe. The one thing better about the Titan was the mounting brackets for portability, but they don't really look that sturdy to me.

As far as mounting, this is an idea I've been considering.

Take two D-ring anchors similar to this:
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4733/74422907.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/74422907.jpg/)

Cut two slots in the bottom of the FAS1 safe, just wide enough for the D-rings to insert into the safe. (This might not be easy due to the thickness of the steel.)

Insert the D-rings through the slots into the safe (from the outside of course). Take two padlocks and put them inside the safe, and lock the shackles of the padlocks through the D-rings.

When the padlocks are locked, and the safe is closed, hopefully the safe will cover the D-ring anchor bolts, and the padlocks will prevent the safe from being lifted off.

In theory I could bolt or weld two D-rings in my car for this safe, then have two more D-rings in my house anchored to the floor. Then I could easily transport or secure the safe anytime I wanted.

I haven't tried this yet though, would welcome any suggestions before I try it!

ASD1
05-23-2012, 6:32 PM
i ordered 1

REDdawn6
05-23-2012, 6:41 PM
i just got 2 real small ones with combo lock built in.. what are you guys with the bio-lock and electrics ones gonna do after an E.M.P. ? just a question

EricStanley
05-23-2012, 8:33 PM
I own a gun vault multisafe like this:

http://safeguardlegal.com/img-large/images/multivault-gunsafe_gv2000c-std.jpg

Same. I put my gun on the top shelf so that when I pull the gun out I am less likely to slam it into the large catch that is sticking up from the lid. When I was practicing pulling it out there were a couple times that I hit the catch so hard it knocked the gun nearly all the way out of my hand. In one instance the catch caught on my shirt sleeve and I couldn't get my hand in there to grasp the gun.

Moving it to the top shelf resolved that...

billped
05-24-2012, 10:21 AM
i just got 2 real small ones with combo lock built in.. what are you guys with the bio-lock and electrics ones gonna do after an E.M.P. ? just a question

Yawn! What are you going to do after:
* Flood
* Fire
* Volcanic eruption
* Earthquake
* Mudslide
* Nuclear explosion

Most of the above are 1000x more likely than an EMP so why get excited about the least likely event? Especially since it will cause you about 10 seconds of extra time to open the handgun safe ... got screwdriver?

The most likely cause of an EMP (though still horribly unlikely) is from a nuclear explosion. I think you'll have bigger things to worry about if that happens. Wait! Nope, you won't have ANYTHING to worry about.

RedFord150
05-24-2012, 2:45 PM
...what are you guys with the bio-lock and electrics ones gonna do after an E.M.P. ? ...

I will go to the other safe that has all manual locks and get out the bigger guns.

John Photography
06-07-2012, 8:25 PM
http://www.gunvault.com/speedvault-biometric-svb500.html

http://www.gunvault.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/p/speedvaultbio-2.png

I bought it for like 120 on amazon i think

two questions for ya...

1. where on amazon did you get it for $120? can't seem to find it that cheap.
2. love the look and functionality of this safe, but i hear the steel construction is pretty flimsy and thin. thoughts?

tia

EricStanley
06-07-2012, 9:12 PM
two questions for ya...

1. where on amazon did you get it for $120? can't seem to find it that cheap.
2. love the look and functionality of this safe, but i hear the steel construction is pretty flimsy and thin. thoughts?

tia

The non-bio version is about $120. The bio version is more. I've heard/read a ton of complaints about the bio version - YMMV.

John Photography
06-07-2012, 9:15 PM
The non-bio version is about $120. The bio version is more. I've heard/read a ton of complaints about the bio version - YMMV.

the cheapest i've seen it for is $136. and yes, i've heard all the issues with the bio version. i want the standard version.

EricStanley
06-07-2012, 9:20 PM
$119.75 + shipping (http://ineedmoregear.com/gunvault-speedvault-standard-safe-black-sv500-gp/)

$111.86 + shipping (http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=74745)

gooooogle is your friend...

John Photography
06-07-2012, 9:42 PM
$119.75 + shipping (http://ineedmoregear.com/gunvault-speedvault-standard-safe-black-sv500-gp/)

$111.86 + shipping (http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product.asp?productid=74745)

gooooogle is your friend...

thank you, but both over $120 shipped.

EricStanley
06-07-2012, 9:50 PM
thank you, but both over $120 shipped.

yes, i suppose so. not sure where you're shipping to, but the total with shipping to me would be $127.66 - pretty close to 120...

John Photography
06-07-2012, 9:55 PM
yes, i suppose so. not sure where you're shipping to, but the total with shipping to me would be $127.66 - pretty close to 120...

at this point, $7 isn't gonna kill me. just now need some first hand feedback on the quality of the particular safe.

thanks again for being so efficient with google! :D

EricStanley
06-07-2012, 10:25 PM
fwiw, i spent a bit of time with one at a lgs. eventually i chose a bigger safe (same mfr), but i would have no problem buying this. i thought it felt good, looked good, seemed like it would hold up well. when i buy a 2nd pistol i'm going to buy one of these for out in the front room on the side of my recliner... never really felt the need to answer the door gun in hand, but ya never know. with this on the side of the recliner it could get the job done...

LAL6
06-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I would stay away from this secure vault. It won't open for me anymore even after changing the 200 AA batteries it takes.
http://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KotulaCatalogAssetStore/images/product/567930_lg.jpg

Sunday
06-08-2012, 7:43 PM
I don't see the good for a bed side safe other than to keep the kids away from the gun.

racerx2oo3
06-09-2012, 6:23 AM
I don't see the good for a bed side safe other than to keep the kids away from the gun.

That IS the good of a bed gun safe.

shakeyjake
06-09-2012, 6:26 AM
I like!!

Agent 0range
06-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I keep one of these in the drawer of my night stand with a security cable bolted to the wall. Easy to open in the dark even with simultaneous button pressing (extra security from guessing combo). With two small children in the house, I feel very comfortable keeping their hands off while giving myself easy access if needed. Key override is a nice option too.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV1000C-DLX-Mini-Vault-Deluxe/dp/B002HOLG2I/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1339265672&sr=1-1-catcorr