PDA

View Full Version : Angeles Shooting Range

Prc329
04-29-2007, 10:07 PM
If you live in Southern California, a drive to Angeles would be well worth your time. The rifle range is good for 600 yards. It is on an up slope so it makes it a good challenge. They allow just about anything you want to shoot there as long as it is not steel core. Targets are allowed to 200 yards and steel starts at 200 to 600 yards.

The Pistol, shotgun, rifle range is good to 100 yards. The pistol range has steel targets starting at 35 yards to 100 yards. This can be a lot of fun and challenging to shoot. Well at least a challenge for a relatively green shooter as my self. I have only been shooting for about 1 year.

The ROs can be hard asses on safety but I would rather get yelled at then shot. It can also be funny at times when a cease fire is called due to deer on the range.

I try to get out there at least twice a month. Great place. I need to find a similar place in San Diego. If not I guess I'll be making the trip up to Angeles once a month or so.

Teletiger7
04-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Was just there today. It can get crowded oin the weekends. I recommend going on the weekdays.

Prc329
04-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I like to go early in the morning. I was there around 9:30 saturday morning. That is a nice time to go. Not to crowded and conditions are usually pretty nice.

Prc329
04-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Yeah. Proraptor is suppose to pt up a post with the info on the next shoot so we can um shoot and discus the club.

M1A_KICHI
04-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Was just there today. It can get crowded oin the weekends. I recommend going on the weekdays.

That's when I usually go. I like it when it is me and a few others.

dbozorg
04-30-2007, 11:51 AM
made my first trip up to the Angeles range this sunday and a couple things really pissed me off.
1. While i was loading a mag a redshirt came to my table and picked up my M-14 and started handling it. (the way i was raised you dont touch other peoples stuff especially weapons.
2. during cease fire they make you leave your weapon behind you while you walk down range and again I saw a differnt red shirt walkin around touch peoples gear and rifles. not to mention youre leaving weapons and ammo out of your sight with people you dont know.
3. on thier on Range diagram it says only rifles and handguns over 7.5 inches permitted on rifle range, however aparently your pistol must be a thompson or a revolver, a red shirt barked at us over the loud speaker for using a u22 neos which is more than 7.5.
4. Apparently in their opion it is unsafe for you to fire .22lr into the burm downrange as you wait for cease fire to put your target up.
5.Their military discount is only 2 dollars off. and only applies to the range not on ammo or targets or anything else.

I dont mind having safety observers around they really need to get their Act together. theres a big difernce between ensuring safety and nuking an evolution. and based on the amount of micro management that leads me to assum that they must have allot of underqualified shooters or have had allot of incidents there. I may be wroung but this is this first time i have had to deal with b.s. of this caliber.

P.S. I did relaize that uncle sam did a good job training me those steel targets at 300 meters with iron sights was a cake, no sling standing and sustained.

ocabj
04-30-2007, 12:04 PM
dbozorg:

Bring your M14 to Camp Pendleton for one of the monthly matches.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=50280

Match fees are waived for active duty military in uniform.

Prc329
04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
made my first trip up to the Angeles range this sunday and a couple things really pissed me off.
1. While i was loading a mag a redshirt came to my table and picked up my M-14 and started handling it. (the way i was raised you dont touch other peoples stuff especially weapons.
2. during cease fire they make you leave your weapon behind you while you walk down range and again I saw a differnt red shirt walkin around touch peoples gear and rifles. not to mention youre leaving weapons and ammo out of your sight with people you dont know.
3. on thier on Range diagram it says only rifles and handguns over 7.5 inches permitted on rifle range, however aparently your pistol must be a thompson or a revolver, a red shirt barked at us over the loud speaker for using a u22 neos which is more than 7.5.
4. Apparently in their opion it is unsafe for you to fire .22lr into the burm downrange as you wait for cease fire to put your target up.
5.Their military discount is only 2 dollars off. and only applies to the range not on ammo or targets or anything else.

I dont mind having safety observers around they really need to get their Act together. theres a big difernce between ensuring safety and nuking an evolution. and based on the amount of micro management that leads me to assum that they must have allot of underqualified shooters or have had allot of incidents there. I may be wroung but this is this first time i have had to deal with b.s. of this caliber.

P.S. I did relaize that uncle sam did a good job training me those steel targets at 300 meters with iron sights was a cake, no sling standing and sustained.

What was the ROs name? There is a new kid that was there this weekend. I think he will be gone soon. I heard a few complaints about the guy. A real idiot. Well, not sure if he is new but he was never there when I have gone in the past. One of the ROs is a member here. really good guys maybe we should bring this activity to his attention.

whlgun
04-30-2007, 6:26 PM

I work at Angeles and would like to know what the person who was touching your stuff without asking looked like. We do have a new kid so please bear with him.

As far as the handgun we did have someone complain about someone shooting a handgun on the rifle end so we did make an anouncement for no handguns. We mite not have been talking directly to you. Its not that we think its unsafe we think there will be too many people shooting other peoples targets.

I understand touching anyones gear is offlimits unless its a hazard but clearly your situation was not so i apologize on behalf of Angeles and hope you make a second trip.

Im the big guy with the beard and in a vest so come up and introduce yourself also come to me if you have a problem with range personel.

AJAX22
04-30-2007, 6:48 PM
It's great to be a part of the calguns family, where ever you go you've got people. Say what you will about firearm ownership in CA, but it is a pretty tight knit community.

proraptor
05-02-2007, 3:21 PM
I myself love angeles ranges....There are many outdoor ranges that are closer to me but I choose to drive at least 12+ miles to go there.

The southern california precision rifle club is in the works....There is currently a thread in the riflemans forums with a poll for our next meet and shoot at angeles. There we will discuss what everyone wants in the club, benefits, meet and shoots, etc etc....

If you want to voice your opinion than you better post in that thread and show up.

Here is the link to the thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=56654

Beetle Bailey
05-04-2007, 10:57 PM
If you are going to Angeles twice a month, you might want to think about getting membership there. You'll save money that way.

CaptMike
05-06-2007, 3:02 PM
I went to Angeles for the first time today. Had been next door many many times (worked there, not held there) but never had a chance to stop in. I loved the place. All the folks were real nice people. It was a little expensive on ammo, but that was my fault for not bringing my own from home. Great facility, and I will definitely make it my new regular shooting spot. Keep up the good work Angeles, and by the way, sorry for destroying that target frame today. I only got back 2 bucks so you know what I did.:) thanks again

Prc329
05-06-2007, 3:42 PM
If I had done that before :) Got 1 dollar back.

Of Beetle, if I wasn't moving to SD I definitely would. I will be up about once a month to shoot at angeles and I'm not sure if it would be cost effective in that case.

Prc329
05-06-2007, 3:44 PM
My bad, maybe I should read :) I think I will be joining.

http://www.angelesranges.com/club.htm

singleshotman
05-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Saw the pictures on the web site, i'm left handed so are the rifle benches the standard NRA "T" shape so you can shoot left handed? Also went to burro canyon today for the first time and what a dump, no target frames and to shoot you had to seat in PLASTIC lawn chairs, you know, the $1.00 type you buy at Wal-Mart.A'll never go back there again if i can go to angeles instead.

Prc329
05-08-2007, 11:15 PM
The benches are t shaped.

PsychoTrucker
06-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Went there today for the first time, had some kid in a safety vest touching my rifle and opening my ammo cans and goin thru them while I was downrange checkin my target.:mad:

I am very touchy about people touching my stuff. I won't be going back anytime soon, I would rather drive the extra miles to A Place to Shoot. I was much happier with their RO's

wildcard
06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I've been to the Angeles Range a few times and I think the FACILITY is great. The range officers in my experience have been vigilent in enforcing the rules, but yet professional and friendly. My only gripe is against the management.. or at least I think they're management. They're the guys who roll up in their trucks and SUVs straight to the office in the morning just looking for a reason to flex their muscle a bit to let everyone know they're boss. Yes.. the places where we can shoot are considerably few.. but i'd rather go elsewhere despite the quality of the range itself. And before you think I'm some disgruntled newbie.. I shoot almost every weekend.. follow commen sense.. and abide by all range rules. Ok.. there's times where I grab the Gatorade off my bench or my staple gun when i'm going down range.. but that's it :D

Budd
06-20-2007, 11:32 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about management flexing its' muscles.

I arrive before they are officially open and am able to drive down to the end bench - unload - and drive back to the parking lot. The only complaint I had last time there was a guy pulling one of my rounds and holding it up to the magnet on the post. Guess he couldn't tell moly coated bullet from steel jacketed.:(

PistolPete75
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Everyone has their own personal favorite range. Wildcard likes Burro, others like angeles, and I like a place to shoot.

whlgun
06-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I've been to the Angeles Range a few times and I think the FACILITY is great. The range officers in my experience have been vigilent in enforcing the rules, but yet professional and friendly. My only gripe is against the management.. or at least I think they're management. They're the guys who roll up in their trucks and SUVs straight to the office in the morning just looking for a reason to flex their muscle a bit to let everyone know they're boss. Yes.. the places where we can shoot are considerably few.. but i'd rather go elsewhere despite the quality of the range itself. And before you think I'm some disgruntled newbie.. I shoot almost every weekend.. follow commen sense.. and abide by all range rules. Ok.. there's times where I grab the Gatorade off my bench or my staple gun when i'm going down range.. but that's it :D

Thats not management pulling up to the office thats inconsiderate shooters that cant read that there is no parking in front of the office.

bear308
06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
but if you want to feel free to go toe to toe with em, make sure a friend has a video cam setup

Prc329
06-21-2007, 12:36 PM
It's funny, a guy there always tells me he loves my shirt when I go. An older gentlemen with gray hair that wears a blue shirt. I usually were my Ammo Bros shirt when I shoot there.

Ammo Bros, we keep you loaded :D

bear308
06-21-2007, 2:43 PM
works in the office, doesn't act like a *****?

proraptor
06-21-2007, 3:55 PM
Went there today for the first time, had some kid in a safety vest touching my rifle and opening my ammo cans and goin thru them while I was downrange checkin my target.:mad:

I am very touchy about people touching my stuff. I won't be going back anytime soon, I would rather drive the extra miles to A Place to Shoot. I was much happier with their RO's

OMFG.....Ive never had that happen there but if it did happen to me Id be pissed...No one touches my stuff without permission

PsychoTrucker
06-21-2007, 6:56 PM
OMFG.....Ive never had that happen there but if it did happen to me Id be pissed...No one touches my stuff without permission

yeah, very not cool. I pretty much left after that, when I turned around and saw it I grabbed my stand walked back packed up my gear and left.

The RO's at A Place to Shoot have always asked before touching any of my stuff and I have no problem with people checking my equipment as long as they ask first.

PsychoTrucker
06-21-2007, 6:58 PM
I like a place to shoot.

:iagree:

smle-man
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM

I wish Angeles all the best; we need as many ranges as possible in Southern California. I tried the range twice in 2005 when APTS was closed due to the heavy rains washing out the road to the range. I didn't care for the experience. I'm happy with A Place To Shoot in Saugus, it is less hustle and bustle, parking is easier, the range guys are more mellow. Perhaps it is just a factor of the crowds at Angeles compared to APTS but the feeling is a lot more friendly and informal at APTS.

Gnome
06-25-2007, 2:45 PM
Is there anyway I can get info (addresses, websites) on all of these places you are talking about? I am some what new to recreational shooting and don't know where to go. I've only gone to indoor ranges with my Beretta 92, Remington 870, and XD 45ACP. I'm looking to purchase some type of semi auto rifle in the next 6 months (Gotta save my dimes & nickels). Mini 14,M1A Scout, and AR 15 are my top contenders. All opinions are very welcomed!

50 Shooter
06-25-2007, 2:57 PM
www.angelesranges.com there's a map on the page.

PistolPete75
06-25-2007, 2:59 PM
I wish Angeles all the best; we need as many ranges as possible in Southern California. I tried the range twice in 2005 when APTS was closed due to the heavy rains washing out the road to the range. I didn't care for the experience. I'm happy with A Place To Shoot in Saugus, it is less hustle and bustle, parking is easier, the range guys are more mellow. Perhaps it is just a factor of the crowds at Angeles compared to APTS but the feeling is a lot more friendly and informal at APTS.

this is exactly why i like a place to shoot, plus being 5 minutes from it makes it sooo easy to go shoot...only draw back is i wish the rifle range was longer with more steel targets.

Timberwolf
06-25-2007, 4:58 PM
this is exactly why i like a place to shoot, plus being 5 minutes from it makes it sooo easy to go shoot...only draw back is i wish the rifle range was longer with more steel targets.

You were just clanging steel at 775 yards on Sat night if you want longer I'll make a note of that for next month's match LOL.

Seriously though little by little I am adding steel on the hill of the smaller variety to make it challenging. Can't do much about distance though except during matches when I can utilize the whole range.

wildcard
06-25-2007, 5:18 PM
In that general vicinity.. I would also definitely go to APS over Angeles because I give high weight to the staff. I will admit that when judging based on the physical rifle range alone.. Angeles can't be beat locally.

I won't hold it again APS that their steel target fell over on my first shot. It's not my fault the bolt is right in the center of the metal silhouette's head :chris: That 440 yd target sure make a nice audible ping sound though!

Timberwolf- And if you're serious.. please do make the target exceed beyond the 775 yd mark! I think 900 is a good number :D

Budd
06-25-2007, 5:26 PM
In that general vicinity.. I would also definitely go to APS over Angeles because I give high weight to the staff. I will admit that when judging based on the physical rifle range alone.. Angeles can't be beat locally.

I won't hold it again APS that their steel target fell over on my first shot. It's not my fault the bolt is right in the center of the metal silhouette's head :chris: That 440 yd target sure make a nice audible ping sound though!

Timberwolf- And if you're serious.. please do make the target exceed beyond the 775 yd mark! I think 900 is a good number :D

I don't even know wher APTS is - but a nice 900 yard range - I would go.

How far from Angeles is it? Knowing I am coming from OC - how much additional drive? The 8" pig at 600 yards is getting boring at Angeles........

Timberwolf
06-25-2007, 5:37 PM
They're speaking about during my matches when I can go back well beyond the 400 yard limit of our public range.

There is now an 8" plate at roughly 430 yards on the hill that will give you a run for your money with that hill's thermals and cross wind and if that gets too small for y'all deadeyes I'll put a 6" steel plate up there for ya LOL

I wish we had ASR's set up at APS but we don't. We are presently looking at a way to put an area in to get paper out to 200 as well as some other things. All in all though what we may lack in lay out I think we make up for in other ways.

PistolPete75
06-25-2007, 5:59 PM
+100 for APS. can't beat the ROs there...they are the best in my book.

wildcard
06-25-2007, 6:35 PM
I don't even know wher APTS is - but a nice 900 yard range - I would go.

How far from Angeles is it? Knowing I am coming from OC - how much additional drive? The 8" pig at 600 yards is getting boring at Angeles........

Sounds like it's time for you to head out to the desert. Set up targets at whatever range you want! I'll actually being doing that in about two weeks with my girl :D

MikeH1
06-29-2007, 9:11 PM
I went there once. Some KID followed me to the bench and started checking out my ammo, taking it out of the bag. He saw some Wolf steel jacket ammo, got out his magnet and told me he would take the ammo and lock it in the office until I was finished. Not wanting to be treated like a child, I followed him right to the office, took my ammo, and left. Haven't been back since. He could've told me not to shoot it and that would have been fine. Also when I first went to the office to check in and pay, it seemed like I was bothering them.

I now go to "A Place To Shoot", they are not as snobbish there. They told me they don't allow steel jacket ammo and that was that. I'll probably be buying a membership there, since Angeles Ranges didn't seem to want my money.

VAHEVAHE
07-02-2007, 1:18 AM
I went there once. Some KID followed me to the bench and started checking out my ammo, taking it out of the bag. He saw some Wolf steel jacket ammo, got out his magnet and told me he would take the ammo and lock it in the office until I was finished. Not wanting to be treated like a child, I followed him right to the office, took my ammo, and left. Haven't been back since. He could've told me not to shoot it and that would have been fine. Also when I first went to the office to check in and pay, it seemed like I was bothering them.

I now go to "A Place To Shoot", they are not as snobbish there. They told me they don't allow steel jacket ammo and that was that. I'll probably be buying a membership there, since Angeles Ranges didn't seem to want my money.

was it a blond spiky haired kid with a tatoo on his arm, he looks about 17 years old but is prob 18-19 , hes a real jerk. When the people next to me went downrange he was going threw their stuff , and also he was going threw ppls stuff that was on the back bench. I really didnt care because hes a ro hes allowed to check, its just that he was doing it when people werent looking, which looked really bad, like a robber. He could just let ppl know, You know what i need to check your ammo,

bear308
07-02-2007, 6:27 AM
I went there once. Some KID followed me to the bench and started checking out my ammo, taking it out of the bag. He saw some Wolf steel jacket ammo, got out his magnet and told me he would take the ammo and lock it in the office until I was finished. Not wanting to be treated like a child, I followed him right to the office, took my ammo, and left. Haven't been back since. He could've told me not to shoot it and that would have been fine.

Apparently not, as it is mentioned in the rules, and is posted in signs everywhere

XDshooter
07-02-2007, 6:59 AM
was it a blond spiky haired kid with a tatoo on his arm, he looks about 17 years old but is prob 18-19 , hes a real jerk. When the people next to me went downrange he was going threw their stuff , and also he was going threw ppls stuff that was on the back bench. I really didnt care because hes a ro hes allowed to check, its just that he was doing it when people werent looking, which looked really bad, like a robber. He could just let ppl know, You know what i need to check your ammo,

I haven't seen that RO yet, but if I caught anyone going through my ****, they will get a serious warning and a beat down the next time. I have heard many stories of people getting stuff stolen there.

VAHEVAHE
07-02-2007, 5:55 PM
I haven't seen that RO yet, but if I caught anyone going through my ****, they will get a serious warning and a beat down the next time. I have heard many stories of people getting stuff stolen there.

Thats y i never leave my items on the back bench , my ammon is on the shooting bench and my gun case is LOCKED and is under my feet when i am shooting

MikeH1
07-02-2007, 5:59 PM
Apparently not, as it is mentioned in the rules, and is posted in signs everywhere

I had it in the BOTTOM of my bag under other boxes of ammo, from my last shooting trip to the desert. I didn't plan on shooting it, just forgot to take it out of the bag. The problem was he went through my stuff without asking. I was always taught not to touch other people's stuff without asking first. Apparently he missed manners training. The range I go to now doesn't have range nazis prowling around rifling through your things.

The kid was not the only issue. The people at the check in counter seem to be bothered having to help you out, as if they have better things to do than take your money. Also the atmosphere is a bit "High falutin" for me, got a lot of looks down noses from owners of expensive guns once they saw my old Mosin rifles. They are probably more accurate than anything they have!

Prc329
07-02-2007, 6:19 PM

From my understanding he is no longer there. Didn't last very long for obvious reasons.

MikeH1
07-02-2007, 8:22 PM
The one that harassed me had short normal looking hair and no tatts and kind of heavy-set. Acted like he was the owner.

From my understanding he is no longer there. Didn't last very long for obvious reasons.

bear308
07-02-2007, 10:11 PM
I had it in the BOTTOM of my bag under other boxes of ammo, from my last shooting trip to the desert. I didn't plan on shooting it, just forgot to take it out of the bag. The problem was he went through my stuff without asking. I was always taught not to touch other people's stuff without asking first. Apparently he missed manners training. The range I go to now doesn't have range nazis prowling around rifling through your things.

The kid was not the only issue. The people at the check in counter seem to be bothered having to help you out, as if they have better things to do than take your money. Also the atmosphere is a bit "High falutin" for me, got a lot of looks down noses from owners of expensive guns once they saw my old Mosin rifles. They are probably more accurate than anything they have!

Apparently I miss read your first post, sorry about that. As far as people going through your stuff, I have heard this over and over again, but have never seen it.

I sure as hell would like to know what kind of groups you get with that mosin, I have some expensive toys, but do not look down on anyone for their choice of firearm. Unsafe shooters are one thing, but people should be left to shoot whatever they want.

Oh and if it makes ya mad theres always complaints@angelesranges.com

MikeH1
07-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I sure as hell would like to know what kind of groups you get with that mosin

With the M91/30, I usually get within the second ring on the target, sometimes within the first, no effort needed it's just accurate. Haven't used my new bench rest for groups yet.

Can't say the same thing for the M44. With the bayonet extended or retracted it shoots to the left.

whlgun
07-03-2007, 3:04 PM
I worked as a "range Nazi" for over a year at angeles and have checked for ammo about 10,00 times. I always ask and most of the time everything is fine. On three occasions i have asked to check ammo and got a ok but when i found steal all the sudden i was some criminal touching there bags without permission. Most of the time these people thought they could pull a fast one and switch boxes or load there magazines with steal and have boxes of good ammo on the bench. You shooters bring it on yourself. If people wernt so hell bent on saving a buck we wouldnt be checking your ammo. The truth is most of you sneak it in knowing your in the wrong and when some so called kid wants to repremand you for it you get all pissed off cause im some 20 year old. And if you think im making this up search for posts about people on here sneaking in ammo and telling other calguns members to do the same. Cause after all were just some punk kids what are we going to do.

You people need to have some respect for what us rangeofficers have to put up with and stop complaining cause after all we wouldnt be such a-holes about it if we didnt have to deal with people disrespecting our place of work everyday.

With that rant over I would be pissed off if someone went threw my ammo without my permission and wouldnt tolerate it.

Also i will continue to check ammo at the burbank firing line.

Ill miss some of you calgunners at angeles and hope that you guys continue to have your meets up there monthly hopefully ill make the next one.

MikeH1
07-03-2007, 5:29 PM
It's always good to hear both sides of the story. And it's too bad a few people sneak in banned ammo and ruin it for everyone. I have stocked up on non-magnetic ammo for this reason, and keep the steel jacket ammo for shooting in the desert.

Timberwolf
07-03-2007, 10:50 PM
FOr what its worth I carry a magnet in my pocket at work at APS as we have the same rules. If I see ammo, especially military caliber (30-06, 5.56, 7.62X54R, 7.62X39, and even .308) come out in brown wrappers, cardboard boxes, or loose in an ammo can I will ask you if I can check it while I'm standing beside you so you can't reach in your bag and hand me other ammo to check. Alot of people buy their "blasting ammo" at gun shows or on the net and alot of the surplus stuff, especially the european calibers is steel core. You normally can't tell by just eyeballing it, though I'm getting pretty good at it (copper tends to be alot duller and darker)

Word to the wise check before you buy, caveat emptor. Also general rule of thumb with Wolf in 7.62X54R - all black box is generally steel core, black and yellow box is lead core.

Am I a Range Nazi - guess so . . . wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of that when I've told people that they can't use the ton of ammo they just bought at from such and such gun show at our range. But, I don't make the rules, I just enforce them. Don't really feel like coughing up the fine $ if USFS happens to be at the range and catches it in use.

dave7739
07-04-2007, 9:35 AM
I was at the Angeles range for the first time on Sun 7/1. Although the place was busy the staff were extremely helpful and accomodating(event though I made a slight faux paux). My 7yo son had a great time (his first time shooting a rifle) and I felt safe in the environment. His closing comment on the day was "Dad that was fun we should comeback again". Thanks for providing a fun and safe place to shoot
Dave

MikeH1
07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I have noticed on the rifle range at APTS there are lots of empty Hungarian 7.62x54r shells laying about, which are all steel core. Now I see why you guys have to check ammo. It's not hard to sneak in the wrong ammo. There are places to shoot that ammo, you just have to drive farther.

Timberwolf
07-04-2007, 1:03 PM
You right on the head with that MikeH1 - shooting a Mosin or other rifle chambered in 7.62X54R when I'm running the line will almost always guarantee an ammo check from me.

MikeH1
07-04-2007, 1:22 PM
It seems only recently you guys started checking ammo. When I first started going there early last year there was no checking. As usual, a few ruin it for all.

You right on the head with that MikeH1 - shooting a Mosin or other rifle chambered in 7.62X54R when I'm running the line will almost always guarantee an ammo check from me.

Timberwolf
07-04-2007, 6:51 PM
We've always spot checked but beginning in about the late summer / fall of last year we started seeing an influx of the surplus crap and a flood of the black boxed Wolf ammo. 7.62X54R is by far the biggest culprit as most of the non-commercial stuff is steel core. We've also seen alot of the 30-06 stuff lately (the stuff coming from overseas in strippers or M1 clips) that's steel cored.

If you guys have ever seen steel core ammo hit steel at night the sparks are a true light show hence even if the Forest Service didn't say no we probably would anyway as dry as we are.

Novadesigns
07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I used to see this all the time at the outdoor ranges I shot at in Texas. They would have clearly posted "NO MILITARY/STEEL CORE AMMO" signs posted everywhere and still there would be 4-5 guys a session coming up with ARs and AKs trying to sneak in Wolf, or Surplus and being told, "Sorry, can't shoot that here." Then they would get all pissed off, insulting the ROs, start making threats, *****ing about their 2A rights being infringed, talking about lawsuits... all sorts of crap. Next thing you know there are threads bashing this range or that range officer on AR15.com and other sites.

Yeah, I would usually go looking for those threads to set the record straight. Nothing I hate more than a jackass rule breaker who turns liar on a forum. We shooters lose too many ranges every year. We don't need these jerkwads ruining the few we have left.

Now I don't prescribe to the notion that we shouldn't try to save a few bucks when we can. Shooting is damned expensive, so any way to save so you can still shoot is fine with me. But you have to be educated and responsible about it. Steel core is banned just about everywhere now, and for good reason. Yet some guys still play dumb or insist that they be the exception to the rule... that's a total disregard for everyone else's safety and not acceptable. If you MUST shoot steel core, go find someplace that allows it, or hit the desert. Its not that hard to figure out.:rolleyes:

In my opinion, the best way to save money is to hand load. Not only do you learn all aspects of the sport (unless you're just some mall ninja looking to rapid fire to get your woody on) but once you get the hang of it, you end up with better ammo too! I can load .223 or .308 cheaper than any crappy Wolf, surplus, or remanufactured gun show ammo... and its a heck of a lot better too!

Now, since I have nothing to hide, I have no problem letting an RO check my stuff. In fact, I'll have them do it up front so they don't have to feel that they need to sneak behind my back to do it when I go downrange. After you shoot somewhere for a while and the RO's feel they can trust you, then you don't have to worry about them digging through your stuff. They appreciate that, and will treat you really well for respecting their rules and making their job easier. And really, following the rules is no incovenience, so why not just do it?

In all my years of shooting, I've never had trouble with an RO because I always remember that respect goes both ways.

jc_stecker
07-24-2007, 7:30 PM
I'm planning to head up to ASR next Friday; this will be my first time going to a civilian outdoor range. Can I PM any of you guys for advice for first timers? I've only been accustomed to the Marine Corps KD course of fire, so I don't wanna be walking around ASR lost in the sauce, so to speak.

markymark
07-24-2007, 7:43 PM
Check out their webpage and follow the rules. Basically, cease fire when cease fire is called, stay behind the yellow line until everything is clear, no touching of anything on the forward (shooting) benches during the cease fire. No magnetic projectiles allowed.

http://angelesranges.com/

50 Shooter
07-24-2007, 8:02 PM
Just follow the rules as Mark stated and you'll be fine.

ASR is one of the nicest ranges here in SoCal, there have been issues with some of the RO's but overall it's hard to beat.

Budd
07-25-2007, 7:20 AM
It is pretty nice to be able to drive up behind where your bench is, unload, and then go park. Saves a lot of trips to your vehicle and back..........

MikeH1
07-25-2007, 8:14 AM
I'd say to first timers to stay away from this one. The people in the office can't bother dealing with you, and some of the ROs are total buttheads. They seem to be very disrespectful to newbs, guess they were never one.

This has nothing to do with magnetic ammo or anything like that. Just overall rudeness if they are not familiar with you.

I'm planning to head up to ASR next Friday; this will be my first time going to a civilian outdoor range. Can I PM any of you guys for advice for first timers? I've only been accustomed to the Marine Corps KD course of fire, so I don't wanna be walking around ASR lost in the sauce, so to speak.

bear308
07-25-2007, 8:35 AM
hit me with a pm, I'm going up on Friday.

Fate
08-02-2007, 9:02 AM
Since you mention you're a marine, this might be pertinent!

The only issue my friends or I have had a ASR is that my marine buddy put a magazine in his AK at the back bench and then walked up to the line. They don't like you walking with loaded weapons. He just got back from Iraq, so walking with a loaded rifle is kinda second nature to him. ;)

The latest batch of ROs seem to be fairly decent, though I did have a RO demand to check my ammo at the back bench while I had my hands full lubing several rifles before I shot. Seemed peeved I asked him to wait a second until I finished the rifle I was working with as I needed all 3 hands right at that moment. He let out a big sigh, so I just kicked my ammo box to him and said, "knock yourself out."

Ooo...post number 666.

ibbryn
08-02-2007, 3:41 PM
....first time going to a civilian outdoor range.....accustomed to the Marine Corps KD course of fire,.

Just read and follow the posted rules.

You will be head and shoulders above most of the other shooters there since you are accustomed to following orders and not acting like an idiot. ;)

Thanks for your service.

Electric Factory
08-02-2007, 5:42 PM

Most of the advice you've been given is good advice regarding becoming familiar with the range rules, cease fire etiquette etc.
I'm a line officer at Angeles and I'd be more than happy to walk you through any questions or issues you have when you get there. I know and have met many Calgunners at Angeles and I ALWAYS have a smile and a helping hand if you need one.
Just ask for Jon.;)

gazzavc
08-02-2007, 6:15 PM
I've shot at Angeles a couple of times and its a fine place. A bit on the busy side for me, one of the reasons I like APTS.

The last time I was there (at Angeles) with my Bren I had a few of the RO's watching me like hawks. I offered them a magazine to shoot but no one took me up on it.

I had the distinct feeling they weren't altogether happy with the look of it somehow.

Gaz

jc_stecker
08-04-2007, 4:14 PM
I just got back from ASR a couple of hours ago and I have to say, "Not that bad." It was a lot more relaxed than what I'm accustomed too, which is a good thing. I didn't have RO's checking my ammo or hassling me about anything. My only gripe is the targets costing $4; I don't remember PVC and cardboard ever costing that much. Can I build my own and bring it there?

38aht
08-04-2007, 4:44 PM
I'm going to Angeles tommorow (Sat Aug. 5) to sight in my new AR build. I've never donne this so if there are any calgunners willing to give advice there tommorow i would be your willing student. I am also bringing a Garand that I need to check as well. I will me there at 10 am. Driving a White Subaru WRX wagon. I've got to see what kind of tools to bring as well.

My name is Jim and I'll be with my buddy Dave.

glockman19
08-04-2007, 4:44 PM
I was there today too. The target fee of $4 is refundable when you return it. Just show your reciept and get your $4 back. I was on the pistol/shotgun/rifle range with my AR-15's, M1A towards the end. Wore my Stag shirt & Glock cap.

glockman19
08-04-2007, 4:47 PM
38aht,

Jim,

Just bring a sighting scope and have someone help you. my friend Ed is the head RO @ angeles. He's always glad to assist you if It's not to busy. He helped me sight in all of my guns.

For the AR just remember to bring a tool to adjust the front sight UP or DOWN. I use a thick paperclip to help rotate it.

I won't be there tomoroww but have a great time.

38aht
08-04-2007, 4:51 PM
Wow, thanks fot eh quick response. I don't have those tools. I just talk to the guuy I bought the upper from and he said it should be close to dialed in. We'll see.

jc_stecker
08-04-2007, 6:55 PM
I was there today too. The target fee of $4 is refundable when you return it. Just show your reciept and get your $4 back. I was on the pistol/shotgun/rifle range with my AR-15's, M1A towards the end. Wore my Stag shirt & Glock cap.

:mad::kest: My brother turned in the targets but did not come back with any refund! I was on the end closest to the office, I don't think I saw you. Does this forum have shirts like the guys at m14forum?

Budd
08-04-2007, 7:41 PM
:mad::kest: My brother turned in the targets but did not come back with any refund! I was on the end closest to the office, I don't think I saw you. Does this forum have shirts like the guys at m14forum?

Keep your receipt and if you don't hit the frame - you get your money back. $1 per piece hit of the frame.

Draven
08-05-2007, 1:59 PM
Timberwolf said:
FOr what its worth I carry a magnet in my pocket at work at APS as we have the same rules. If I see ammo, especially military caliber (30-06, 5.56, 7.62X54R, 7.62X39, and even .308) come out in brown wrappers, cardboard boxes, or loose in an ammo can I will ask you if I can check it while I'm standing beside you so you can't reach in your bag and hand me other ammo to check.

I have a magnet stuck to the side of my gun safe that I take with me to gun shows...

What can I say, I used to go to SGVGC.....

JesseXXX
08-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Me too.... remember Jack at SGVGC.... always check with his magnet...so I've learned to take one with me everywhere I go...(gun shows & ranges)...

JERK
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
I stopped by the range after the gun show today and was impressed with the layout and on how relaxed it was. The staff in the office were real friendly and helpful. My girlfriend would rather I drive us 50 miles here, than the 20 to Burro.

GTKrockeTT
08-12-2007, 10:52 PM
it was packed there today. got there at 9am, and there weren't too many benches left on the rifle side. made a quick visit to the handgun side after noon, but decided to call it a day after only 1 cease fire.

too many newbies and ghetto shooters...the R.O.s had their handful today with shooters sweeping others, people not understanding english and getting yelled at repeatedly not to stay behind the yellow line. some guy closed the action on his 10/22 while his muzzle was pointed towards him...:eek:

but, the final straw was when the guy to the left of me started shooting his glock "ganster style." it was actually rather humorous...when the R.O. saw it, he ran up to him and said, "this ain't hollywood." bad juju all in all, had to take my leave.

hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. i take the extra drive to go to angeles, so i don't have to deal with this environment at burro.

gunsnrovers
08-13-2007, 6:47 PM
I was there on Saturday morning from 9:30 until about 11AM. Pretty mellow on the rifle side. A father was teaching his boys to shoot next to me. I had to move down a couple of benches after the .308 from the FAL kept hitting them. I had a screen up, but was shooting standing.

Only one or two times did I see someone cross the yellow line, but it wasn't major. Funniest part was when some idiot tried to drive up the road to the left of the range. That and when I got to listen to a range officer tell someone behind me that my rifle had "lost rigidity" because I used a stripper clip dust cover. Evidently the FAL dust cover is an integral part of the design....

Someone did shoot my target frame though. Right at the bottom left where the cross bar meets the vertical. A range officer was behind me when it happened so I didn't get blamed.

elsolo
08-20-2007, 5:42 AM
I was up there today, shooting my Garand and AR-50.
As usual, several people stopped to ask questions about the .50BMG, but none of them took me up on the "Want to put a few rounds through it?"
I did give away a handfull of .50BMG novelty desk pens.

50 Shooter
08-20-2007, 7:01 AM
I like my new pen.;)

markymark
08-20-2007, 9:50 AM
I'd like to come by when you 50 guys are up there. Can't even imagine how loud it gets. ;)

50 Shooter
08-20-2007, 10:49 AM
3rd Sunday of every month.

DBA Samsun
08-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Got the itch to step in today ... I want to wait till wednesday but I just might have to :)

jc_stecker
08-22-2007, 9:19 PM
I was up there today, shooting my Garand and AR-50.
As usual, several people stopped to ask questions about the .50BMG, but none of them took me up on the "Want to put a few rounds through it?"
I did give away a handfull of .50BMG novelty desk pens.

By chance, are you going to be there the 7th or 8th? :D

MicronuT
08-24-2007, 9:19 PM
By chance, are you going to be there the 7th or 8th? :D

whos goin sunday.... ???? anyone

glockman19
08-24-2007, 9:31 PM
I'll be there on Saturday afternoon. Mountain biking in the morning. I'll be wearing my Stag Arms t-shirt. Feel free to stop by and say hello.

Also plan on going Wednesday night 8/29. They're open until 9:00 and it's a great time to watch the muzzle blast.

blue+p+
09-22-2007, 2:29 PM
does any one know if you can bring your own target holders/ targets ? and use on range? :popcorn:

jc_stecker
09-22-2007, 2:55 PM
does any one know if you can bring your own target holders/ targets ? and use on range? :popcorn:

Yes, you can.

blue+p+
09-22-2007, 2:58 PM
cool thnx :rockon:

juicy
09-23-2007, 8:19 PM
i went to angeles today, against my good will, to buy some .50 bmg because well i forgot to order it the week before.. and they are the only place that i know that carries it.. so i go in there and ask for 2 boxes of it.. the lady in there gives me and my buddies a weird look, she says you know you have to shoot it all the way at the end, i say.. im just buying it, i dont intend on shooting it here. she says she cant sell it to me, ESPECIALLY this ammo, like i was some goddamned terrorist, i was going to give this place over a hundred dollars of my money, even though i despise the place and they do this crap. confirms that i will never return, even my buddies couldnt believe it.:chris::mad:

T-Bear
09-27-2007, 8:25 PM
she says she cant sell it to me, ESPECIALLY this ammo, like i was some goddamned terrorist, i was going to give this place over a hundred dollars of my money:chris::mad:

Typical California gun store employee, I guess they don't want your business, take your hard earned money else where.

legalbroker
11-28-2007, 9:34 PM
You know i had a similar problem with a RO at angeles range going through my bag. He did it in front of me and i asked could i help him. I let him check the ammo and did not lose my temper for i wanted to have fun that day.

I went the other day to angeles range and was just waiting for a RO to go through my bag, but no dice.

I believe a lot of the RO's there are not well paid/trained or well versed in gun ethics etc. Alot of them look shaby too. Sort of like when i have to deal with low paid/non-trained security guards at security details.

I really like Burro canyon and have done a lot of training there as well but when taking the wife and family i prefer angeles.

I might give A place to shoot a try.

MikeH1
11-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Same thing happened to me when I went to buy some black powder. I was told I couldn't buy it if I wasn't going to use it right there that day. They don't seem to like customers or their money at ASR. Of the two times I've been there, the people at the counter just about ignored me, until I asked for help. Only then did they grudgingly check me in, like I was some sort of bother to them. I go to "A Place To Shoot" now. What a contrast in customer service (or customer disservice as far as ASR goes!) It's hard to believe that people would actually WANT to got there.

i went to angeles today, against my good will, to buy some .50 bmg because well i forgot to order it the week before.. and they are the only place that i know that carries it.. so i go in there and ask for 2 boxes of it.. the lady in there gives me and my buddies a weird look, she says you know you have to shoot it all the way at the end, i say.. im just buying it, i dont intend on shooting it here. she says she cant sell it to me, ESPECIALLY this ammo, like i was some goddamned terrorist, i was going to give this place over a hundred dollars of my money, even though i despise the place and they do this crap. confirms that i will never return, even my buddies couldnt believe it.:chris::mad:

Ak47owner
01-27-2008, 11:48 AM
A place to shoot, is the best range to go to, angeles is nice but the ammo is expencive. A place to shoot is great because you can park your vehicle right behind where you are shooting the RO's are very friendly i even gave the guy that smokes the ciggars 18 rounds of 308. just because of their hospitality. They allways greet my grandmother and also some times let her shoot free of charge when ever i take her shooting. Angeles on the other hand is nice, they got the food thing and a 600m target, but what fun can you have with RO's being rude to you!

A PLACE TO SHOOT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scrat
02-02-2008, 6:57 PM
Only place i go. I never have problem buying black powder there. in fact i usualy buy it just before i go home. to make sure i have enough in stock. I guess the reason why i dont have any problems. is because i go there. I go there often. i talk to the RO's i talk to the Main lady in the office. i often get there very early. My boys and i always help out and sweep when we can. About a month ago we got there one sunday morning. the left side was a little messy. It was still early and it was not open yet. So my boys and i just grabbed the brooms and started to sweep up. Thats just what we do. We like the range clean. we treat it like we own it. Well about an hour later the RO comes over and gives us 3 free passes for the next time we go. With people like that no problem. I will go there all the time. I even let the RO shoot my rifles. I have had them help me sight in scopes, The guys are cool you just have to treat them good too. When you go often and they see you often they will treat you with respect and its just the place to shoot. Its safe its properly managed not like burro where its almost like your on your own.

1911su16b870
02-02-2008, 7:54 PM
Used to do rifle at SGVGC and they closed that range down. I've been to Angeles a few times and I was very impressed with the staff and ROs. The two gals in the office and ROs were very polite and helpful. Seems to me after talking with the ROS that they all have OLL builds! :D Now that is cool! I like the layout or the range, the solid concrete benches, the covered tables and the ability to cleaning/work at the back table. No one went through my stuff or even asked if I had steel core ammo. I keep a magnet with me just to check the ammo when I buy it at the Gun Shows.

BiggPa
02-03-2008, 9:44 PM
iv been to angeles several times (since duarte closed)

i have had really good experiences there. RO's have asked my about my ammo (7.62x54R), but asked me about it first

they also were checking out my dad's winchester model 60 single .22LR, but they didnt touch it, just looked

also, my roommate who i always go with has several "exotic" big bores.
.577 trex and a 460 weatherby
they havnt just started to touch without asking them either

ill probably post up here next time we go shooting, so if any of you have other big-bores that we can trade shots with, hit me up with a PM or whatever

morepoop4u
02-07-2008, 2:36 PM
Around what time does it normally get packed at Angeles. I'm going for the first time with a few of my buddies this weekend and want to make sure we get a chance to use the clay thrower. Also which is the closest walmart to Santa Monica that sells ammo/ clays.

tdo315
02-08-2008, 4:31 PM
It's crowded by 11 or so. I would expect this weekend to be packed because of the nice weather. If you plan on shooting clays, go to a Walmart or big 5 on your way and pick up the targets there. That way you can use one of the 2 "bring your own" throwers. They are rarely being used, most people use the other 4 that use the cards that you load in the office.

V8toytruck
03-03-2008, 1:27 PM
Was just there this weekend....nice place..beautiful weather...except super windy conditions. RO were very professional. They were touching peoples ammo and checking the guns but they didn't rummage through peoples bags.

I had some fun with my .223 Savage....if anyone is going in the next few weeks and can teach me how to properly shoot and sight the rifle that'd be great!

I shot it all the way out to the last metal targets and witnessed the limitations of my PMC Bronze .223 at that range. I don't plan on going bigger anytime soon.

Shoot me a PM next time someone is out..Help me tighten up my groups.

zatoh
03-03-2008, 2:56 PM
Was just there this weekend....nice place..beautiful weather...except super windy conditions. ......

I was there too. Boy it WAS windy, but it died down later. Overall it was a positive experience and judging by the age of this thread (the OP started this thread in August '07), summer like conditions and a nice day might explain the crowdedness. Nothing crazy happened, the people were nice.

I did have my ammo checked at least three different times for steel though. The only negative thing that happened was that one of the ROs in checking my ammo for steel inadvertently mixed a round of 5.56 with my 7.62X39. My 5.56 was in an ammo can on the ground and I had loose 7.62X39 on the bench. You can guess where that one "inspected" round of 5.56 went - with the 7.63X39 as I found out the hard way. Boy was I confused for a bit there.

All in all I had a good time and found out just how rusty my shoot'n skills are.

scrat
03-04-2008, 7:45 PM
i did not go this past weekend. i went the previous two weekends. It was very nice. I always get there around 830am. Set my stuff up. Pay. Then drink my coffe maybe eat. Then When its opened hot time to shoot

futureExpat
03-05-2008, 8:32 PM
So it seems the top spots to shoot are angeles & APTS. I live in hermosa, are there any other closer rifle ranges?

ar15robert
03-06-2008, 8:20 PM
I use to go there for sighting my rifles never had any probs there and thought it was a good range.

Its been at least 3 years since i have been there just dont have the time to shoot as much anymore.For me its about 45 minutes if i do first thing in the morning otherwise it might take me 2 hours to get there.

macshooter
04-10-2008, 2:16 AM
I was there about 2 weeks ago for my first day at the range with an OLR. I have to admit i was a bit timid because i had never really had much experience with shooting at the rifle side of the range but the ROs were great. I was planning on top loading just to be on the safe side but as soon as i unpacked my brand new MP15 I saw at least 4 other black rifles to the right of me. The only time a RO approached me was to take a look at my eotech and he gave me some much needed advice on how adjust it to get some rounds on paper. I had been there many times before but only with my shotgun to throw some clays. All in all i like the place.

DrunkSkunk
04-10-2008, 2:40 AM
I like angeles. Ro's have never given me a prob, even when I was there with 4 buddies that had never shot before, had a blast on 4 lanes with a bunch of gear. I had to clear ALL 4 RIFLES by myself when they called clear!

No prob with that, took me about 2 sec for all 4.

Guy in the next lane came over asking me if i was military or LE though, I HATE nosey range people and I'm a d'k when I'm sober so I just told him NO, GO BACK TO YOUR LANE.

I really don't like to chit chat at the range or the gym. The gym pisses me off even more so than the range.

Black Majik
04-10-2008, 9:51 AM
Angeles?

Never a problem there. I'm usually there on Sundays (this sunday too!) and all the ROs are really cool. Dennis gives us free range passes on the holidays, and Ed recently hung up 3 extra chickens at the 100 yard line on the pistol section just for us.

Can't complain. :D

ChessRatz
04-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Angeles?

Never a problem there. I'm usually there on Sundays (this sunday too!) and all the ROs are really cool. Dennis gives us free range passes on the holidays, and Ed recently hung up 3 extra chickens at the 100 yard line on the pistol section just for us.

Can't complain. :D
us??? you mean for Mike, right? :p

Black Majik
04-11-2008, 12:45 AM
us??? you mean for Mike, right? :p

Yeah. :D

SFV_Dealer
04-11-2008, 5:46 AM
We love Angeles Shooting Ranges!
They let us video the FNH PS90 rifle in action complete with a mag locked 10rd magazine after the range closed to the public. They were cool with us rapid firing all kinds of guns - 308 FN/FAL clone, 5.56mm SPR off list, 9mm Rock River Arms carbine off list, and the famous PS90 5.7x28mm fixed mag rifle.... Check out the video of the FNH PS90 on YouTube: Angeles Shooting Range employees shooting the FNH PS90 modified for California. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ZJXd4769Y)

The ROs even refer all customers to us for AR builds!
Gotta love a range that caters to the black rifle guys!
:D

Fate
04-14-2008, 4:38 PM
Good to know that the Angeles ROs can be bought :whistling:

Glock30
04-14-2008, 4:51 PM
Awesome range! Went up with some cool guys for my first time, although I don't like them because they are a way better shot then I am!!

hill billy
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
A place to shoot is really nice but $150 for a membership is pretty steep compared to the other ranges in the upper LA area.

wildcard
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
A place to shoot is really nice but $150 for a membership is pretty steep compared to the other ranges in the upper LA area.

$150 is steep for a gun range membership? Where is it cheaper than that for a comprable range or any range for that matter? Only time where i've seen a membership in the $150 price range is for 50ft indoor ranges..

hill billy
04-29-2008, 11:52 AM
DMRPC in Palmdale is $60, granted you can't buy anything there and you have to supply your own targets.
Angeles is even cheaper than that isn't it?

Draven
04-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Burro Canyon is $200. A membership there does actually mean you and a guest get in free, not half price like Angeles.

wildcard
04-29-2008, 2:24 PM
Burro Canyon is $200. A membership there does actually mean you and a guest get in free, not half price like Angeles.

True.. I'm thinking about "unlimited range time" memberships.

Also a member at Burro.. very worth it.. especially when you bring a friend for free.

hill billy
04-29-2008, 2:25 PM
True.. I'm thinking about "unlimited range time" memberships.

Also a member at Burro.. very worth it.. especially when you bring a friend for free.

I didn't realize Angeles was only a discount deal. IN any case DM is an unlimited time deal.

V8toytruck
05-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I'll be there May 17th...anyone wanna join shoot me a PM. I need help sighting my scopes! My company picnic is a few miles north. I plan on ditching the picnic and going back for the prizes afterwards :)

morme
05-25-2008, 7:22 PM
I have been going to ASR at least weekly for the last 2 months. I work offshore as a navigator for research boats, and have about 5 monts "vacation" a year

never any problems. RO's are nice guys. I shoot my homebuilt Black Rifle with a CLE (Frank White) 18" barrel, full length gass system, and another 16" from AR15-M16 world.com

BTW, Camarillo Shooters Supply is just getting involved in AR's

My only request would be to have paper at 300 yards and longer. The only way I know I hit the steel is when there is not a dirt "splash" I would like to be able to zero my scope at longer ranges with SMK 77gr

later

PS, I have been to a lot of places, and it is one of the best. $.25 for a target with 5 bullseyes is a deal. I usually cut off the top one, and mount two to a frame, and get 2 frames. that's 16 targets to test loads on. I bring a can of flat black paint (but you can get one in the office) to spray the steels during cease fires. I use the steels with my "practice" Win 55g FMJ rounds to get the trigger finger used to shooting. Lately I get 20 shots in an inch and a half, which is pretty good for that bullet

randy
05-25-2008, 7:45 PM
Thursdays I believe you can put paper to 300. The problem with doing that when they are busy is it takes too long.