PDA

View Full Version : Proof of Residency

hal515
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a handgun for my 21st birthday in California. I have studied the basics of how to purchase a handgun in California, I just had a couple questions. First off regarding proof of residence I currently am a college student who plans to live in an apartment next year. Currently my drivers license has my parents address which is where I live during breaks. Part of my dilemma is which address should I write on the DROS forms. I don't pay any utilities at my parents address but I will for my new apartment. I'm afraid though if I put my apartment address that it could cause a bunch of hassles because if I decide to move to a different apartment but handgun will be registered to my old apartment.

Librarian
04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Registration to an address is not necessary; people move all the time - there's no requirement to keep the DOJ updated.

CenterX
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you own a car in your name?
Will your folks write a note that you are residing in their home?
Ask the FFL that you plan to buy through or from prior to showing up for the purchase. Some seem to have a twist of their own on what paper they like to copy for the file.
Best of fortunes for you

CenterX
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Do you own a car in your name?
Will your folks write a note that you are residing in their home?
Ask the FFL that you plan to buy through or from prior to showing up for the purchase. Some seem to have a twist of their own on what paper they like to copy for the file.
Best of fortunes for you

hal515
04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
What about a library card? Issued by the government. The card has my address.

lilro
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
What about a library card? Issued by the government. The card has my address.

Unless your library card has an expiration date, you can't use it.

One thing you can do is get your parents to lease you a room in their house for $0 per month. You can get the lease paper at Staples for 10 bucks.

Louislee6
04-30-2012, 1:30 AM
Utility bills of 90 days(3 months) is the first thing come into their mind, and I think car registration is something they would check but won't work on its own. My situation is similar to yours, I used bills and car registration to prove residency. I suggest you go to the gun store and ask about it.

kielbasavw
04-30-2012, 6:43 AM
Well, I have used my dmv renewal notice twice, at two different ffls. but this last Tuesday turners would not except it. Turners blows. You won't catch me there anymore. Terrible experience, I have no idea why some will ONLY transfer there.

deltax
04-30-2012, 8:01 AM
I was sort of in your same situation recently, and I can vouch for this working.
Find one of the many free rental agreements online, print out and sign it/fill it out, and have your parents sign it(if you want to use your apartment address you can just use the lease they give you).
I believe that as long as the address on the lease agreement, your DL, and DROS match then you are good.
AFAIK the agreement doesn't need to be notarized(used it 2x with no problem).

If your DL has an old or non-physical address(ie a PO box) option 1 is to get a new DL with the correct address, and option 2 is to change your physical address online with the DMV website; once that change is updated in their system(they will give you confirmation but it should take about a day) go to a physical dmv and get a "request for record information" DL printout(costs 5$ and by doing this you won't have to get a new DL).
The printout will show your physical address on record with the DMV.
You should be good to go from there.
It sucks having to go to the dmv(I tried everything I could to not go lol) however if you make an appointment beforehand you are in and out pretty fast by dmv standards.

From what it sounds like though all you need is a rental agreement that you and your parents sign, as your DL already has your home address on it.
This is the rental agreement I used:
http://www.freebies4ya.com/agreements/realestate/Basic_Rental_Agreement_And_Or_Lease.asp

nocomply25
04-30-2012, 8:18 AM
what about your car registration? If it matches your DL then just use that as your primary address..they do not need to know you are in an apartment for now.

A-J
04-30-2012, 9:56 AM
I think car registration is something they would check but won't work on its own.

Not true - as long as your registration address mathces your DL adress, you're good. I've used that for every gun purchase so far.

One thing not mentioned a lot on here (if at all - I haven't seen it yet) is if you live in one of those weird places where different agencies use different city names. For example, my brother lives in Kagel Canyon. That's what's on his license. But his phone bill has a different city on it, but with the same zip code.

Daniel_Sti
04-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I was sort of in your same situation recently, and I can vouch for this working.
Find one of the many free rental agreements online, print out and sign it/fill it out, and have your parents sign it(if you want to use your apartment address you can just use the lease they give you).
I believe that as long as the address on the lease agreement, your DL, and DROS match then you are good.
AFAIK the agreement doesn't need to be notarized(used it 2x with no problem).

If your DL has an old or non-physical address(ie a PO box) option 1 is to get a new DL with the correct address, and option 2 is to change your physical address online with the DMV website; once that change is updated in their system(they will give you confirmation but it should take about a day) go to a physical dmv and get a "request for record information" DL printout(costs 5$ and by doing this you won't have to get a new DL).
The printout will show your physical address on record with the DMV.
You should be good to go from there.
It sucks having to go to the dmv(I tried everything I could to not go lol) however if you make an appointment beforehand you are in and out pretty fast by dmv standards.

From what it sounds like though all you need is a rental agreement that you and your parents sign, as your DL already has your home address on it.
This is the rental agreement I used:
http://www.freebies4ya.com/agreements/realestate/Basic_Rental_Agreement_And_Or_Lease.asp

This is exactly how i got my gun. Make an appointment for the dmv help so much. An it sounds like a lot but i all comes together alright. Good luck

hal515
04-30-2012, 10:19 AM
What kind government papers are acceptable. Would financial aid documents for school count?

hal515
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Also thank you for your suggestions

deltax
04-30-2012, 1:48 PM
What kind government papers are acceptable. Would financial aid documents for school count?

To some extent I think it depends on the store. Technically the document has to be government issued with your name and current address. When I was trying to do everything I could to avoid going to the DMV(lol) I printed out my change of address confirmation page on the DMV's website. Technically it was government issued and had my name and current address listed on it. One store said they would take it, and the other one I talked to said they wouldn't. It would probably be best to just give them a call and ask. It can't hurt, and maybe it will save you some time.