PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, Im a jack*****

Jeff Taylor
04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Hey guys,

I cant believe I did this and it was so effortless to do too.

While shooting my Glock 27 (.40) today my nephew asked if he could also shoot my S&W MP45. No problem I said. I proceeded to pullout a box of .45s and load the clip for him. After he spent the first clip I proceeded to load another for him. Except......this time I accidently loaded it with .40s and handed it to him. He rack the slide and pulled the trigger. Bang!... Wow, that sounded wierd I thought. The gun slide thankfully jammed open. He handed me the gun and I expelled the jammed case to realize what I had done. The case as you could imagine was stretched and split wide open. Holy ***** !

Thankfully nobody got hurt and the big lesson is to put mismatched ammo away and out of reach.

Has this ever happen to you?

luckystrike
04-29-2012, 10:14 PM
been there done that, .223 vs 7.62x39. live and learn.

jcaoloveshine
04-29-2012, 10:21 PM
yep, a friend of a friend did that with an ENTIRE BOX of 40s loaded into a 45acp glock.

only after did he see out of his peripheral all the split cases on the ground did he realize the error of his ways. says more about the glock than him!

with new shooters i am paranoid about ammo mixup, so i always make sure to keep them in separate areas. thankfully i shoot 45acp, so it's easy to spot a 9mm. it's the 40sw you have to watch out for.

Bug Splat
04-29-2012, 10:26 PM
I've almost done the same, it happens. I now only keep one type of ammo and pistol on the bench with me when I shoot. The rest goes in the range bang at my feet. I can see how having a second person/pistol could confuse things. How is the pistol?

Bug Splat
04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
yep, a friend of a friend did that with an ENTIRE BOX of 40s loaded into a 45acp glock.

only after did he see out of his peripheral all the split cases on the ground did he realize the error of his ways. says more about the glock than him!

with new shooters i am paranoid about ammo mixup, so i always make sure to keep them in separate areas. thankfully i shoot 45acp, so it's easy to spot a 9mm. it's the 40sw you have to watch out for.

HAHAHAHA

SEE! Glocks are so reliable, they will even cycle the wrong ammo :D

PandaLuv
04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
My buddy who's a navy corpsman loaded up my .40 sig pro with 9mm ammo. I stopped it right before he started shooting.

No joke.

far from tactical
04-29-2012, 10:58 PM
wow
not yet for me but i hope it never dose

Plisk
04-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Hey guys,

I cant believe I did this and it was so effortless to do too.

While shooting my Glock 27 (.40) today my nephew asked if he could also shoot my S&W MP45. No problem I said. I proceeded to pullout a box of .45s and load the clip for him. After he spent the first clip I proceeded to load another for him. Except......this time I accidently loaded it with .40s and handed it to him. He rack the slide and pulled the trigger. Bang!... Wow, that sounded wierd I thought. The gun slide thankfully jammed open. He handed me the gun and I expelled the jammed case to realize what I had done. The case as you could imagine was stretched and split wide open. Holy ***** !

Thankfully nobody got hurt and the big lesson is to put mismatched ammo away and out of reach.

MAGAZINE!

Sorry, had to get that out.

I had this experience once, where I was shooting my Sig 9mm and a friend had his Beretta 96 Compact. We were wondering why his Beretta wasn't cycling right....

Yugo
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
MAGAZINE!

I had this experience once, where I was shooting my Sig 9mm and a friend had his Beretta 96 Compact. We were wondering why his Beretta wasn't cycling right....

damn beat me to it! LOL

knerona
04-29-2012, 11:13 PM
HAHAHAHA

SEE! Glocks are so reliable, they will even cycle the wrong ammo :D

And work with CLIPS!

tbhracing
04-29-2012, 11:15 PM
1. MAGAZINE, not clip.

2. Why I stick to one caliber with my pistols. Good system for me.

alfred1222
04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I did this once as well. I have 2 Hk USP's, one in 9mm and one in 40sw. The two guns look the same, and you couldnt tell the difference unless you look at the magazine or read the stamp on the slide. Well, one day i grabbed the 40 USP, mistakenly thinking it was the 9mm. went to the range, loaded the mag with 9mm ammo (dont ask me how it fit in there, idk) and realized my mistake when i couldnt close the slide properly. luckily i realized my mistake before i fired anything off

CAglock20c
04-30-2012, 12:42 AM
ya, one time i managed to fire off a round of 10mm out of one of my 40's..now im missing a few fingers

Freagan
04-30-2012, 12:46 AM
been there done that, .223 vs 7.62x39. live and learn.

Story is needed! :D

fighterpilot562
04-30-2012, 9:41 AM
Crazy stories, luckily i never mixed ammo, but i hope it never happens either

04-30-2012, 9:55 AM

No, I pay attention to what I am doing when I'm handling firearms. ;)

drkphibr
04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Almost did it. .44 mag and .45LC have a very similar cartridge...luckily my son caught it as I was loading it. That was the last time we had similar cartridges on the bench together and haven't/won't do so again.

LovingTheYear1911
04-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I've done it too. Loaded 9mm in my 40 cal Glock. First shot went bang but sounded odd and the gun didn't fully cycle. Nothing bad happened, just a split casing.

Oldnoob
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Glad no one got hurt.

InGrAM
04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Good thing is was an M&P.

llamatrnr
04-30-2012, 11:54 AM
3 pistols: a .45acp, a .45acp, and a .45acp - no problems!

Liberty Customs
04-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Thankfully I have never made this mistake or even witnessed it. I do however have a question for the people who have. Has anybody taken their barrel to a gunsmith or really inspected it for nicks or grooves caused by shooting a round too small for the barrel? That can be just as dangerous.

greybeard
04-30-2012, 1:03 PM
To date, the worse I have done is to load 9 mm a .40 magazine and try shooting it in a 9. I kept wondering why the rounds kept falling out.

tacticalcity
04-30-2012, 1:21 PM
3 pistols: a .45acp, a .45acp, and a .45acp - no problems!

Then you go shooting with your buddies and their stuff gets mixed in with your stuff...the possibility still exists just a lot more remote.

When I go shooting with my buddies, you never know what they will bring. They are all ex-military, law enforcement, PMCs, etc. More often than not we are pooling ammo. Either somebody's department is footing the bill, or somebody had a good month, etc. and donates his ammo to the cause. On occassion people have ALMOST loaded the wrong rounds into the wrong guns, but then caught themselves.

Just about every holiday, such as the 4th of July or Christmas break I take the nephews, cousins, and their friends shooting. They are all high-school and college age now. I've seen guys start to load the wrong ammo into the wrong magazine and of course stopped them. I too like sticking with 9mm and 45ACP, but my father owns a 40S&W and that can lead to people mixing up ammo without it being obvious to them. I usually do my best to keep the ammo supplies far apart and give a little speach about what ammo goes with what gun and how it is important not to mix them up. Then I make sure to keep a close eye on everyone. Thankfully most of them are very gun concious now, after years of having me teach them. However, their friends need a lot of supervision. So we keep it very orderly and not a free for all...not on an open range where I have to be their range master.

I've also had factory new unopened 40S&W ammo come with a random 9mm round in the package.

So it is definately something you have to keep an eye out for.

curtru
04-30-2012, 1:33 PM
I almost had that happen sighting I'm my 270 and 30-06 cases are same size exept for the bullet and neck size only noticed cuz I was just talking about how easy it would be to mix up and double checked what I loaded

Turo
04-30-2012, 1:45 PM
Yep. Let my buddy shoot my new (to me) 1911 and he loaded the mag up with .40S&W. Luckily he started at a low ready and the .40 cartridge slid all the way out of the barrel and onto the bench in front of him. I had gone over safety before we left for the range, and he told me something went wrong with the gun.

I popped the mag out, and found all the .40 ammo in there. Nobody got hurt, and he learned an important lesson, cheaply. Now he's a gun owner and we go shooting together now and then. He's now religious about safety and double checks everything. :D

GunHo
04-30-2012, 2:00 PM
MAGAZINE!

Yup, I have the same guns and the same happened. It's an easy mistake because both magazines have the same double stack shape. I tried to use the Sig magazine on my M9. It wouldn't cycle and I was like, "what the F***". Glad that was safe and inexpensive lesson learned. From now on, I keep each gun magazine snuggled next to the gun.

Solid Foundation
04-30-2012, 2:07 PM
I took a group of people out to shoot once. I thought I had done enough supervising and started leaving people alone when one guy came up to me and asked why the G23 was jamming. I pulled out the mag and it was half loaded w/ 9.

Amazing it was able to shoot out what it did.

ap430
04-30-2012, 2:57 PM
I have always wondered why people lay out all their gear, guns, ammo at the range when its really unnecessary. Its asking for mistakes to happen or an accident. I always leave everything in my range bag. Pull out the gun I am going to shoot, take out the correct ammo boxes for gun. Shoot that gun away... once done pack that gun away! then on to the next gun/ammo. Lessens the chances of any mix up between ammo.

tbhracing
04-30-2012, 3:48 PM
Helpful info- if you have multiple mags- write "40" or "9" on each side of each magazines. Use a silver sharpie.

2nd Shot
04-30-2012, 4:57 PM
I took my girlfriend out to the range for the first time, and she turned out not only to be a fast learner, but a natural. She was shooting, and I was watching over her shoulder when she fired the last round. I saw the shot hit the target (almost dead center at 15 yards - a good shot!), but noticed that I had counted 10 and the slide didn't lock back. She reported that the trigger stopped working. Strange.

I took over the gun, an XD-9 Service, pulled the slide back and an empty .380 case fell out! Apparently, we both missed it. The upside is that while other guys on the line were struggling with pistols they couldn't get to feed factory fresh ammo, the XD-9 will apparently feed rounds of the entirely wrong caliber from the mag and fire them with presentable accuracy, aside from not having enough pop to cycle the slide.

SpunkyJivl
04-30-2012, 5:01 PM
2. Why I stick to one caliber with my pistols. Good system for me.

Ditto. 9mm is the only pistol caliber we shoot.

SgtMerc
04-30-2012, 6:25 PM
went to an indoor range once and was chatting with the folks behind the rental desk. I had brought my 1911 and my .22, and mentioned i'd been wanting to try out one of the .40 pistols (can't remember which one it was)

i didn't get the rental before my lane opened up, so i asked for two targets and a box of .45acp. I got into my lane and started loading a mag, and thought that either my mags had bent a little or something was wrong with my ammo. Sure enough, the lady at the counter had given me a box of .40 instead of 45acp

That could have gone south, easily.

chrisf
04-30-2012, 6:34 PM
MAGAZINE!!!!

drifts1
04-30-2012, 6:44 PM
My buddy who's a navy corpsman loaded up my .40 sig pro with 9mm ammo. I stopped it right before he started shooting.

No joke.

My son did the exact same thing with my SP2022. fired 1st round then jammed, he called me over and I saw he loaded 9mm

MrExel17
04-30-2012, 6:52 PM
Man that was a close one, glad no one got hurt. I always fear that too, and always double check what I do because of that fear.

Jeff Taylor
04-30-2012, 8:07 PM
Thanks for correcting me regarding clips vs. magazine.

Found this picture to help the rest of us also.

Vanguard
04-30-2012, 8:45 PM
This one of the reasons I don't own any .40s, just 9mm and .45.

9mm and .45 are different enough to not make this mistake.

1lostinspace
04-30-2012, 10:12 PM
You know you should not own guns when you call mags clips!

the86d
05-01-2012, 6:02 AM
You know you should not own guns when you call mags clips!

Or when your Glock is a flintlock. :)

daybreak
05-01-2012, 6:12 AM
One time my dad handed me a box of .45 half full. I loaded them up in is XD45 and fired the first round. Made a funny sound and slide locked up. Turns out he kept a half full box of .40 in a .45 container. Idiot. Me too for not catching it.

He is pretty poor with gun safety, unfortunately. Between that and on more than one occasion trying to clear a gun with his finger on the trigger while muzzle sweeping me, he's my worst nightmare at the ranges.