PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for new gun choice

send it_hit
04-29-2012, 7:59 PM
I've recently entered into a field where I will be carrying a handgun for my entire shift at work, twice a week. I currently own a Beretta PX4 in .40, but I'd really like to carry something full size, and ideally a little higher up the tiers.

My budget is tight and my knowledge is low... The only stipulations I have are:

-Preferably full size
-9mm
-No Glocks :) (I totally get why people like them, they are just uncomfortable to me.)
-No 1911's (Again, I get how people could love them, but I'm not used to them. I don't want to trust my life to something I'm not used to.)
-Preferably in the $600-$900 range after fees.

After much review, I have narrowed down the choices in the polls. Which of these would you pick, and why? Please tell me if you have a better idea.

MikeDre
04-29-2012, 8:07 PM
Go to the store, check them all out if you can, hold them, try them.
Whichever you lust after the most that night and the next few days, get.

send it_hit
04-29-2012, 8:12 PM
definitely. I've held them all but the sig and the beretta... was basically wondering if there's any big things im overlooking that i should know, that would make me want/not want a specific choice.

my pros and cons lists are a little lengthy lol, but i'll just have to shoot them all. just wanted to see what the/if there is a consensus.

zfields
04-29-2012, 8:15 PM
I love my sp01, but I would'nt want it for a duty gun. That sucker is H E A V Y.

Bobby Hated
04-29-2012, 8:20 PM
i voted CZ.

i've never owned one, but of whats on your list i see those perform the best at USPSA and other action shooting matches.

i have and love the USP platform, but its meant to be a .45. if you want a 9mm get the CZ.

gibbygoo
04-29-2012, 8:23 PM
Check M&P too.

NeoGeo630
04-29-2012, 8:56 PM
+1 on the M&P

dkthree
04-29-2012, 9:45 PM
Since you said no Glocks.....

I voted CZ. They feel really good and have nice triggers out of the box.

After that, Sig 226 w/ SRT over the 250, then HK, then Beretta. Never handled the FN.

As previously mentioned, try them and you will know for sure.

Good luck!!!

PandaLuv
04-29-2012, 10:24 PM
P226, if you look hard, you can find a new one for $900 OTD. I love mine, the gun isn't too heavy, nice ergos, smooth DA, very accurate SA once you're used to the reset. The gun is built like a tank, never jammed on me once. Very sexy too.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o300/thatkoreannigga/625bf1b4.jpg

Second choice, I'd go with FNP, pretty neat gun. very light and similar ergos as p226.

M&Ps aren't bad, but I can't stand the trigger. Every time I shot it, it was like jack in the box, waiting for that break.

Honestly though, if I were you, I'd give a Glock another chance. If sig were too expensive for me to carry, I'd get a Glock 17.

PandaLuv
04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Oh I looked your post, if you can get a USP for a good price, get that one over FNP. USP are built like tanks too, their ergos are great, SA/DA and you can carry cocked and locked in SA or just DA safety. They're fun guns too shoot.

BrassCase
04-29-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a Beretta PX4 in 40 and a CZ 75B SA in 40. I like them both but if I had to use one for work it would be the Beretta. You are going to be carrying it around, the Beretta being a polymer gun is lighter, the Beretta has very good ergonomics (CZ is also good). I think of the Beretta as more of a combat gun and the CZ has a better paper puncher. Just my humble opinion.

send it_hit
04-30-2012, 8:43 AM
thanks for all the advice guys. i'm sure i'll be posting when i finally make the purchase.

InGrAM
04-30-2012, 11:56 AM
He obviously wants a Hammer-fired gun, not striker-fired...

I voted H&K USP, but only because..

The Beretta 92/m9 and Sig p226 were not on the poll list.

And the CZ sp-01 trigger reach is too far for a comfortable grip in DA, for my little girly hands. :rolleyes:

GunHo
04-30-2012, 12:10 PM
The one thing I'll advice you is to get a gun with adjustable sights. Not all factory sights are perfect.

Lead Waster
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I vote SP-01. Depending on what you feel you want, you can carry it with the hammer down (after HAND DECOCKING IT) and have DA/SA OR you can carry it cocked and locked, since it has a safety like the 1911.

Some people (^^^ That guy) think the DA trigger is a bit far, I don't have that problem with my medium sized hands, but that's for you to determine at the range before you buy. My SP-01 was pre-customized (bought it from a USPSA shooter) so I can't compare to stock, but it is amazing.

My friend has the FNH 9, I thought they discontinued it? Anyway, it actually has a very nice trigger, and it's quite light as well, which is a plus for someone carrying it all day.

Now, I've gone to USPSA matches where I've walked around for like 6 hours with the SP-01 and 6 full magazines hanging off my belt and that was no big deal BUT I didn't have anything else either, like flashlights, cuffs and all that other stuff.

I think weight might be a factor for you (They make a polymer SP-01 called the Phantom as well). Maybe you should focus on a polymer gun? I have no idea if you would ever ever ever (hopefully) need to pull the gun but I'm guessing that you will practice with whichever gun you get ... to the point that whichever one you choose will shoot accurately for you. So the majority of the time you'll be doing other things and just hauling that hunk of plastic/steel around. So might as well pick a light one!

If it were me (and it's not) I'd go Glock, but that's not on your list.

Of the guns on your list, the SP-01, is probably carried more often as a duty gun than any of the other guns. The Beretta 92 might be as well, but you said 90-Two not 92.
This could be utter FUD though.

Lead Waster
04-30-2012, 12:20 PM
The one thing I'll advice you is to get a gun with adjustable sights. Not all factory sights are perfect.

I'm not a LEO or CCW guy, but I would think that it would be better to get properly adjusted non-adjustable sights? Meaning sights that you might have to drift at a workbench or swap out the front sights for the proper height.
I thought it would be better to have a gun that is sighted in to a specific distance and NOT MOVE when you bump it around getting in your car, putting the belt on and off every day, etc, etc, etc. ??? If you use adjustable target sights and they get knocked out of "zero" you will be in worse trouble than fixed sights that you zeroed at a specific distance.

zfields
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Of the guns on your list, the SP-01, is probably carried more often as a duty gun than any of the other guns. The Beretta 92 might be as well, but you said 90-Two not 92.
This could be utter FUD though.

More likely the 75B, or p01.

OP, if you could go the SSE and get a sp01 phantom, that would be a good pick, much lighter then the sp01

InGrAM
04-30-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm not a LEO or CCW guy, but I would think that it would be better to get properly adjusted non-adjustable sights? Meaning sights that you might have to drift at a workbench or swap out the front sights for the proper height.
I thought it would be better to have a gun that is sighted in to a specific distance and NOT MOVE when you bump it around getting in your car, putting the belt on and off every day, etc, etc, etc. ??? If you use adjustable target sights and they get knocked out of "zero" you will be in worse trouble than fixed sights that you zeroed at a specific distance.

Yes, if the gun is for CC or duty use then adjustable sights are not optimal and not needed, but for a range gun adjustable sights are very nice.

Different types and kinds of ammo go to different points. Adjustable sights are very nice to have when reloading or for finding that perfect type of target ammo for your pistol.

I don't know how much you "bang around" your guns but I tend to not throw my expensive pieces of equipment and or tools around. Now, my CC guns are a different story.

JeremyS
04-30-2012, 1:18 PM
Which of these would you pick, and why? Please tell me if you have a better idea.
Cool that you get to choose!

I vote CZ, but wouldn't necessarily go SP-01. I have one and LOVE it but, as mentioned, it's heavy. If you don't feel the need for a rail, a good ol' 75B does the same job. The P-01 is "duty sized" and is carried by NATO troops, so it will probably suit your purpose as well. The aluminum frame and shorter slide length makes it lighter by quite a lot. It's maybe just under "full size" but the SP-01 is larger than some "full size" guns. If the weight isn't really a concern, then you'll be super happy with it. Weighs about the same as a 1911 but 17+ or 19+ rounds make it heavier (assuming you're exempt from the 10 round capacity and, if not, then I lean even harder toward the P-01).

doug-y-doug
04-30-2012, 1:31 PM
Go plastic. USP or FNP.

send it_hit
04-30-2012, 7:48 PM
I'm really starting to like that phantom... but I just checked and its definitely not on the list. only the sp-01:

CZ 75 SP-01 01152 / Steel, Poly Pistol 4.7" 9mm 1/31/2013

so unless i can track one down via ppt...

zfields
04-30-2012, 8:04 PM
I'm really starting to like that phantom... but I just checked and its definitely not on the list. only the sp-01:

CZ 75 SP-01 01152 / Steel, Poly Pistol 4.7" 9mm 1/31/2013

so unless i can track one down via ppt...

That why I said SSE it : )

send it_hit
04-30-2012, 8:08 PM
That why I said SSE it : )

ahhh i see i see...

might look into that.

ElvenSoul
04-30-2012, 8:22 PM
CZ SP 01 Phantom

I know it's plastic. It's not like the other plastics out there. It's better and the light weight is a big benefit to be lugging around all day on your hip.

send it_hit
04-30-2012, 9:24 PM
unfortunately, SSE is going to be out the door for me, since I will get a discount on the firearm through my new job, and my new job doesn't deal in SSE... Hm. the plot thickens.

zfields
04-30-2012, 9:27 PM
unfortunately, SSE is going to be out the door for me, since I will get a discount on the firearm through my new job, and my new job doesn't deal in SSE... Hm. the plot thickens.

P01 if you want to go the CZ route. The beaver tail on the 75B is a deal breaker to me. If you can carry single action guns, the 75 SA is a great one also.

CAglock20c
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
the FNP-9 isnt a fullsize gun- it has a 4" barrel so its considered compact. also, I'd seriously consider two of the more popular service model pistols- Springfield XD9 tactical or Smith & Wesson M&P 9 (standard or pro series with the 5" barrel). both quality pistols and well within your price range with room to spend money on extra mags, tac light, etc

JNunez23
04-30-2012, 10:47 PM
From your options, I chose the CZ. Take a look at the Ruger SR9. Full size, reliable gun for the price.

send it_hit
05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
P01 if you want to go the CZ route. The beaver tail on the 75B is a deal breaker to me. If you can carry single action guns, the 75 SA is a great one also.

I'm with you on that, it's a deal breaker for me too.

the FNP-9 isnt a fullsize gun- it has a 4" barrel so its considered compact. also, I'd seriously consider two of the more popular service model pistols- Springfield XD9 tactical or Smith & Wesson M&P 9 (standard or pro series with the 5" barrel). both quality pistols and well within your price range with room to spend money on extra mags, tac light, etc

What's the cutoff for a full size generally? I'm not a big fan of XD's or M&P's, i need a hammer :shrug:

From your options, I chose the CZ. Take a look at the Ruger SR9. Full size, reliable gun for the price.

see above... i probably should have put the hammer part in my stipulations.

sorry i'm being so picky lol, i do appreciate the suggestions.

also as someone mentioned, the FNP-9 is not listed on FN's site. I think you're right, no more new ones. I actually really like the FNX-9 but it's also off list. However if it comes to the point where the only way to get what I want is to go SSE, i'll consider it.

sharxbyte
05-01-2012, 6:40 AM
just wanted to see what the/if there is a consensus.

:rofl2:

ask 100 gun owners... get 150 different opinions

I haven't held the others on there, but My choices would be the Glock which you disqualified, and the Berretta. ;)

PandaLuv
05-01-2012, 7:03 AM
Dude... You're getting a markdown and you don't want a p226.... :D

lowend65
05-01-2012, 7:08 AM
Based on what I've heard lately, I wouldn't buy any newer Sig. Lots of issues with the slide ripping apart due to broken welds. This is only on recent production.

Personally, I wouldn't want to carry with a DA/SA gun. That first trigger pull is a doozy

Have you considered a Springfield XD-9? I consider my My XD-45 Tactical to be the best gun I own.

nikki#2
05-01-2012, 7:18 AM
CZ: NATO-certified P-01.... or PCR if you don't want the rail.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa178/surfdog_photos/p01a.jpg

PandaLuv
05-01-2012, 7:47 AM
Based on what I've heard lately, I wouldn't buy any newer Sig. Lots of issues with the slide ripping apart due to broken welds. This is only on recent production.

Personally, I wouldn't want to carry with a DA/SA gun. That first trigger pull is a doozy

Have you considered a Springfield XD-9? I consider my My XD-45 Tactical to be the best gun I own.

Link please.

Daniel_Sti
05-01-2012, 9:23 AM
Rent rent rent!

robcoe
05-01-2012, 9:28 AM
I would say the SP-01 Phantom if you can find one, the weight savings will be nice if you're carrying it around all the time.

Though the PX4 is a nice gun on it's own.

Wodsworthy
05-01-2012, 9:28 AM
I voted for CZ. Just got my PCR, love the thing. If you find a CZ you like, grab it. They are getting hard to find.

InGrAM
05-01-2012, 1:45 PM

I had no idea they still welded the slides on Sig p-series guns. :rolleyes:

I could have sworn they were all milled...

1911Luvr
05-01-2012, 2:46 PM
How come the poll doesn't have an option for "None of the above"?

RugerNo1
05-01-2012, 2:54 PM
How come the poll doesn't have an option for "None of the above"?

He does not want or cannot afford a 1911? :D

InGrAM
05-01-2012, 2:58 PM
^ lol, yeah. Or maybe he doesn't want "GLOCK!!!!" from every person posting. The only reason why he didn't get such a thread is because he put CZ on the list.

There is a reason why there isn't a CZ vs. Glock thread every week. lol

Nomadic
05-01-2012, 3:07 PM
not on the list but i'd recommend an hk p30

lowend65
05-01-2012, 5:06 PM
Sig got bought out last year by a private equity firm and their QC has gone to hell since... word is that the Swiss Police have started running Glocks.

JeremyS
05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
CZ: NATO-certified P-01.... or PCR if you don't want the rail.

Yeah. OP, I mentioned the P-01 also. Have you considered it? 1.75 lbs vs the SP-01's 2.4 lbs weight. As nikki mentioned, the PCR w/ decocker instead of safety is also on the roster and is the P-01 without an accessory rail. 3.8" barrel on them and CZ calls them "compact" but they're "duty sized." I don't see any advantage to the larger SP-01 unless you plan on shooting long distances and want that extra inch of barrel and longer sight radius, and/or are exempt from the 10-round cap and want the extra capacity that the longer grip allows.

smurfette
05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
CZ! I'm a CZ fan hehe

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
05-02-2012, 11:46 AM
p250

PandaLuv
05-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Sig got bought out last year by a private equity firm and their QC has gone to hell since... word is that the Swiss Police have started running Glocks.

Link?

Jesus ,where do you people get all this info?

InGrAM
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Link?

Jesus ,where do you people get all this info?

^ they make it up.

lowend65
05-03-2012, 9:50 PM
My source works in the industry and has asked not to be identified, but lets says he's a pivotal figure in firearms training.

Hoovers is down right now, but I looked up myself and the company did change hands last year