PDA

View Full Version : A good combination gun case

FalconLair
04-29-2012, 6:50 PM
ok, so i have a question for you gun pros...i've never had to deal with this since im LEO and don't have a requirement for gun carry in my vehicle...here is the deal: my son just recently got his carry permit, he is looking for work in armed security while he finishes up getting his degree in criminal justice.

usually we go to the shooting range together, so carrying the firearms with me is no issue...of course when he goes by himself he has to adhere to the law concerning safe transport of the firearm...I have a 4 gun case which has a lock on each of the fasteners...kinda the cheap variety, almost like luggage type locks, nothing high grade...BUT, im not even sure it that is illegal since they do lock and that is what the law requires...I've never looked into actually case law, since I didnt have to adhere to it anyway

for my son, i wanna be sure, so i wanna purchase a 2 gun or more case with a combination lock, which if possible is only a single combination lock case...not too much interested in a key type lock because my son loses stuff lol...i've seen a few online but they are mostly 2 combination locking cases...kinda hoping someone knows of one that can carry 2-4 guns and has a single combination lock...thanks for your help guys

XYZ
04-29-2012, 6:58 PM
Gun vault micro cases. I'll see if I can post the link from the safe subforum. There are some good examples in that thread. Be right back.

Here you go. Check these out:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=6112993#post6112993

Another choice are Pelican cases (1400 series) with pick and pluck foam and purchase a combo lock.

jj805
04-29-2012, 7:05 PM
How about this? http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV2000C-DLX-Multi-Vault-Deluxe/dp/B000O8VUR0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1335755006&sr=8-14 Or this http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-PS-508-Extra-Strong-Electronic/dp/B002ERVMJU/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1335755191&sr=8-23

cranemech
04-29-2012, 7:42 PM
ok, so i have a question for you gun pros...i've never had to deal with this since im LEO and don't have a requirement for gun carry in my vehicle...here is the deal: my son just recently got his carry permit, he is looking for work in armed security while he finishes up getting his degree in criminal justice.

usually we go to the shooting range together, so carrying the firearms with me is no issue...of course when he goes by himself he has to adhere to the law concerning safe transport of the firearm...I have a 4 gun case which has a lock on each of the fasteners...kinda the cheap variety, almost like luggage type locks, nothing high grade...BUT, im not even sure it that is illegal since they do lock and that is what the law requires...I've never looked into actually case law, since I didnt have to adhere to it anyway

for my son, i wanna be sure, so i wanna purchase a 2 gun or more case with a combination lock, which if possible is only a single combination lock case...not too much interested in a key type lock because my son loses stuff lol...i've seen a few online but they are mostly 2 combination locking cases...kinda hoping someone knows of one that can carry 2-4 guns and has a single combination lock...thanks for your help guys

If your son has a LTC permit, he is able to carry any firearm listed on his permit legally. No locked container necessary.

A quick question, I'm not trolling or LEO bashing, You've stated in other threads that you have been a reserve Deputy Sheriff for 23 years and you've never checked into the legality of a private citizen carrying firearms in a vehicle?

FalconLair
04-29-2012, 9:51 PM
my bad i should've clarified that a bit better, his carry permit pertains to only "to and from" work, as in armed security...he does not have a LTC for any other reason, nor a CCW.

also, i've seen the links you guys provided, super good gun locking devices, but I'm trying to find something more in the "case" type make, something he could actually use to carry his firearms right into the range with...i know there has gotta be something out there...

@cranemech, that's is correct sir, about the 23 years as a Reserve, and its a little embarrasing, but in my own defense i'll be the first one to say that we ourselves are not always 100% positive about some of the laws. Look how they are written...as I stated I have a 4 gun case that does have a locking system and key, which as far as I know suffices to the satisfaction of the law...i could be wrong and when im in doubt i'll be the first one to get a clairfication from my supervisor or another more knowledgeable deputy.

as deputies, even after 23 years of good service, try to understand that we don't know absolute intent with every law...plus, honestly, in this area, we just dont get this that often...i cant even recall the last time I dealt with a person in a vehicle transporting a firearm...sometimes we do encounter situations where we have to ask ourselves if a crime has actually even been committed...might be hard to buy into but it's true.

as far as "checking into the legality of a private citizen carrying firearms in a vehicle", absolutely, my friend, but sometimes the laws can even be so vague to us to clear cut definition, it becomes a questionable situation...for my son's own safety and the safety of other officers, I don't mind seeing what is out there available which best satisfies the intent of the law without question.

CGT80
04-29-2012, 10:02 PM
A range bag or gear bag would also work. From what I have read, there is no problem with a soft sided bag which has zippers that can be locked shut. I have a bag that will take a small combo pad lock. The law doesn't state that it has to be capable of withstanding a certain force, just that it has to be in a locked container. Others may be able to confirm or deny what I have read.

5.11 has some nice bags. I use an I-shot bag, others like midway range bags. He could keep all his gear in one bag that is locked. If you are looking for a hard sided case, they are out there too. My mom picked up a pink hard sided case for her competition gun. A padlock can be used to secure the zippers. I don't recall the brand though.

jj805
04-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Buy a tackle box, or an ammo can, and put a lock on it.

XYZ
04-29-2012, 10:21 PM
i've seen the links you guys provided, super good gun locking devices, but I'm trying to find something more in the "case" type make, something he could actually use to carry his firearms right into the range with...i know there has gotta be something out there...

Check out Pelican cases:

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1400

I use the 1500 which can hold 5 handguns maybe 6.

Another option is Guncruzer that already has precut foam:

http://www.guncruzer.com/

FalconLair
04-30-2012, 12:16 AM
A quick question, I'm not trolling or LEO bashing, You've stated in other threads that you have been a reserve Deputy Sheriff for 23 years and you've never checked into the legality of a private citizen carrying firearms in a vehicle?

Crane, this is the law we get to interpret, no more, no less:

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

I know you were not trolling, you asked a legitimate question, hopefully I gave you a honest and accurate perspective from my point of view. Technically, and by definition of the law, even the 4-gun case that I use with the tacky, cheap latch locks would be in accordance with CPC12026.1

And, although I have never posted in some of the threads concerning guns being transported in a locked container, I see several people commenting about fastening their gun containers under their seat or other sections of the vehicle...YET, according to CPC12026.1 once you have bolted down a case for your gun, you just violated Penal Code 12026.1 The reason being that a Utility Compartment is considered anything that is fixed to ones vehicle. That is what the law says, yet, I see people recommending in these forums for people to secure their gun containers in such fashion.

At any rate, even in the forums here you get people telling other people to do it. Law interpretation is best left for the courts, not necessarily for LE.

locosway
04-30-2012, 1:06 AM

It's the same law us non-LEO's get to interpret and hope the cops we do run into understand the law.

At any rate. If the firearms are unloaded and in the trunk, that is legal. But if the trunk has a pass-through into the passenger compartment, that may not be legal.

The best thing is to simply lock the firearms in a case in your home, walk them to your car, put the case in the trunk. And be on your way. The ammo can be in the same case as the firearm. The magazines/clips can be loaded. However, there can be no ammo in the gun (can't be attached to or in a magazine in the gun).

Some range bags can be locked, and this would work just fine as well. Alternatively, if you have a garage or gated yard, you could just walk the guns to the trunk and put them in, or keep them in an unlocked range bag.

cranemech
04-30-2012, 7:05 AM
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Transporting

Here is a good resource with some helpful information. As far as bolting a case into your vehicle, my understanding is that is a gray area and the "right people" here recommend that you use a cable or similar to temporarily secure the box in the vehicle, negating the "utility compartment" aspect of 12026.1.

I use my range bag (voodoo tactical 2 in 1 full size) with a handgun lock run through the zippers and secured to a ring on the bag which prevents the bag from being opened. I lock it before leaving the house and relock before leaving the range.

I'm still learning, but this is my understanding of the current laws.

Sorry for the brevity, I'm on my phone.

Dan-O
04-30-2012, 7:11 AM
I have one of these
http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

viet4lifeOC
04-30-2012, 7:44 AM
@cranemech, that's is correct sir, about the 23 years as a Reserve, and its a little embarrasing, but in my own defense i'll be the first one to say that we ourselves are not always 100% positive about some of the laws. Look how they are written...as I stated I have a 4 gun case that does have a locking system and key, which as far as I know suffices to the satisfaction of the law...i could be wrong and when im in doubt i'll be the first one to get a clairfication from my supervisor or another more knowledgeable deputy.

as deputies, even after 23 years of good service, try to understand that we don't know absolute intent with every law...plus, honestly, in this area, we just dont get this that often...i cant even recall the last time I dealt with a person in a vehicle transporting a firearm...sometimes we do encounter situations where we have to ask ourselves if a crime has actually even been committed...might be hard to buy into but it's true.

as far as "checking into the legality of a private citizen carrying firearms in a vehicle", absolutely, my friend, but sometimes the laws can even be so vague to us to clear cut definition, it becomes a questionable situation...for my son's own safety and the safety of other officers, I don't mind seeing what is out there available which best satisfies the intent of the law without question.

Nothing embarrassing about being honest. I applaud you for that. What I find scary is an LEO "know-it-all" who is wrong in regards to gun laws. No matter what PC you cite, the LEO just doesn't give. Written gun laws are confusing...and it's reassuring to hear that an LEO like yourself understands that.

cindynles
04-30-2012, 8:00 AM
I really like the Tommy's Gun Pack 2-Gun case. It has lockable zipper, pouches for your handguns, mag holders, and an outside pocket. It is by far the best handgun case I've ever used.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TGP%2D056

FalconLair
04-30-2012, 3:06 PM
Maybe some of you guys don’t know the role of a Reserve Deputy Sheriff. I can explain a bit to you. First off, we receive all the state mandated training, background checks, we are sworn law enforcement officers, issued Identification, duty weapon and all other pertinent equipment. We have full powers of arrest just like full time deputies.

Another thing, we are volunteers. Yes, I receive $1.00 per year as my pay for doing this and generally put in about 20-60 hours per month. So, now, you might get a better understanding as to why I may or may not be as “law versed” as people might think. Some of us have CCW permits, some do not. We are basically “additional manpower” for the department. Lots of people are reserve deputies, we’re not in it for a paycheck, its something I do for my community.

Many of us have other careers, hence the possibility of some limited knowledge. But we do understand our job and as I previously said, if there is a question as to law that we don’t know, then I go up the chain of command until we get the answer we need. It was a reserve deputy who captured the Hollywood arson suspect a few months ago. Lawyer by day, crime fighter by night lol

Hope this helps you understand something I’ve done for the last 23 years and hope for another 23 years lol

cranemech
04-30-2012, 4:47 PM
FalconLair:
Thanks for the response and thank you for your service to the public. I can see how, depending on the area and your beat/duties, you would have limited contact with citizens carrying firearms.

As another poster said, I applaud the fact that "you know what you don't know" (does that make sense?) and are open to learning the ins and outs of our convoluted gun laws.

I have considered pursuing a position as a reserve officer or a volunteer for one of my local Departments, but am limited right now by funds/time to attend a POST academy requirement. Maybe after I get my wife through school I will pursue that position because as you said it is something to help my community.

Have you made a decision on how you/your son are going to transport your weapons?

Stay safe.

FalconLair
04-30-2012, 11:12 PM
FalconLair:
Thanks for the response and thank you for your service to the public. I can see how, depending on the area and your beat/duties, you would have limited contact with citizens carrying firearms.

As another poster said, I applaud the fact that "you know what you don't know" (does that make sense?) and are open to learning the ins and outs of our convoluted gun laws.

I have considered pursuing a position as a reserve officer or a volunteer for one of my local Departments, but am limited right now by funds/time to attend a POST academy requirement. Maybe after I get my wife through school I will pursue that position because as you said it is something to help my community.

Have you made a decision on how you/your son are going to transport your weapons?

Stay safe.

thank you for the kind words crane and viet4lifeOC, i freely admit i don't know every law on the books but when im in doubt i'll get the help I need and do plenty of research, to help ensure I make the best possible decision for the moment. I dare any LEO to publicly say they know every law on the books lol. Its not gonna happen, but that doesn't mean you can't do your job. We're still researching some carrying cases, but he did come across this one that he thinks will work fine for him http://casesgalore.com/doubletriplehandgunpistolcase.aspx Its not too expensive and he can take it right into the range. We were looking for a single combination lock but most cases sized for multiple firearms are designed with two. Some feedback from some of you members would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes in your pursuit in LE, i'm sure its quite different from when I first went into the academy over 23 years ago, but I hope you come out of it with a very rewarding experience, to say the least. Something I thought I would do for just a few years has turned out to be one of my most enjoyable passions, besides my wife lol, and I only hope I've been able to make at least a small bit of a difference in the community. Becoming a Level 1-D reserve for the department still ranks as one of my proudest accomplishments.

bsg
05-01-2012, 8:02 PM
welcome to the forum FalconLair.

ckprax
05-03-2012, 8:32 AM

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 12026.1.

I know you were not trolling, you asked a legitimate question, hopefully I gave you a honest and accurate perspective from my point of view. Technically, and by definition of the law, even the 4-gun case that I use with the tacky, cheap latch locks would be in accordance with CPC12026.1

And, although I have never posted in some of the threads concerning guns being transported in a locked container, I see several people commenting about fastening their gun containers under their seat or other sections of the vehicle...YET, according to CPC12026.1 once you have bolted down a case for your gun, you just violated Penal Code 12026.1 The reason being that a Utility Compartment is considered anything that is fixed to ones vehicle. That is what the law says, yet, I see people recommending in these forums for people to secure their gun containers in such fashion.

At any rate, even in the forums here you get people telling other people to do it. Law interpretation is best left for the courts, not necessarily for LE.

I just want to point out why many people here are not against fastening a locked container in their vehicle. The devil is in the details. The law does not say any utility compartment or a utility compartment. It states the utility compartment; which would be the center console in most vehicles.

thegunsmith
05-03-2012, 8:37 AM
Perhaps a bit harsh on the guy, he asked for case law examples, not penal codes. He wanted to make sure his son never had issues based on court decisions, not the handbook of stated regulation. Case law citations are much more indicative of the court's potential leanings if a case were to be tried. Good on you OP for being a good dad.

AS a side note: pelican cases are incredible; heavy and a bit bulky, but incredible. Buy a decent lock and keep them out of sight if you aren't in the car with them; thieves know that when you are carrying something in a $150+ case, that it's probably valuable.