PDA

View Full Version : "It's All About the Bullet Button" - CBS Bay Area Monday 11 PM News

Pages : [1] 2 3

dfletcher
04-29-2012, 6:03 PM
CBS Channel 5 in SF is evidently doing a piece on the "Bullet Button" Monday @ 11:00pm. If the adverts are any indication it will be a hit piece complete with cuts showing the BB in place then switching to some fellow emptying a 30 round magazine.

TheBest
04-29-2012, 6:06 PM
I hope the interviewed bwiese again for the facts.

timdps
04-29-2012, 6:58 PM
Just saw an ad for a news blurb or program on bullet buttons on San Francisco CBS channel 5. Will be on at 11pm Monday night.

Tim

bobomb
04-29-2012, 7:00 PM
wow got to set a timer for that i hope its a real hit piece on how its circumventing the law and how anybody that does that must have criminal intent

osis32
04-29-2012, 7:00 PM
I just posted about this in rifles. Glad someone else posted about this.

L4D
04-29-2012, 7:04 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be bad. :(

Yugo
04-29-2012, 7:11 PM
can someone please record it.?

G60
04-29-2012, 7:15 PM
Will they be interviewing iggy chin? Lulz.

Dutch Schultz
04-29-2012, 7:20 PM
Lol some news team, 3 years late.

Demonicspire
04-29-2012, 7:22 PM
You know there are other people riding the letter of other laws hard, and they do more harm. Go report on them.

Sigh oh well, its soft news and popular with their demographic, can't really blame the news for giving the people what they want.

chead
04-29-2012, 7:24 PM
Great.

You know there are other people riding the letter of other laws hard, and they do more harm. Go report on them.

Sigh oh well, its soft news and popular with their demographic, can't really blame the news for giving the people what they want.

There are powerful people and corporations doing actual illegal things, constantly. Maybe investigate them a little? And if you want to talk about "riding the letter", how about an actual investigation of "double-Irish" tax loopholes?

No? Okay, great. Just bother me about my legal rifle.

Jason_2111
04-29-2012, 7:27 PM
Five bucks says this will be a "look at these evil things! The law has failed, we must ban these too, and FAST!". :(

Scratch705
04-29-2012, 7:30 PM
someone record and upload to youtube.

FLIGHT762
04-29-2012, 7:34 PM
Five bucks says this will be a "look at these evil things! The law has failed, we must ban these too, and FAST!". :(

Winner^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Of course it will be bad. I believe it will be a piece to bring this to the public's attention and to get legislators to do something about it.

They will lie and omit pertinent information to get their message across, as they usually do with firearm related subjects. We'll see if I'm wrong.

joash
04-29-2012, 7:36 PM
Oh boy, how long before some upstart politician puts his name on a piece of legislation to outlaw bullet buttons?

m03
04-29-2012, 7:40 PM
I have a feeling it's going to be bad. :(

I have a feeling that it's going to backfire and cause a jump in EBR sales next week. This year is going to be a great year to be an FFL.

mag360
04-29-2012, 7:42 PM
Oh boy, how long before some upstart politician puts his name on a piece of legislation to outlaw bullet buttons?

well between Skinner, DeLeon, Dickinson, Steinberg, Liu, Price, and Ammiano they can all sponsor it!

707electrician
Dont you guys know how much death has been caused by bullet buttoned rifles?!

sd_shooter
Yeah, I'm sure it's coming.

Better stock up on OLLs and BBs while you still can, not to even mention the 2014 registration. :D

SwPx4
04-29-2012, 7:49 PM
I have a feeling I will be irritated Monday at 11:05pm.

G60
04-29-2012, 7:50 PM
Just imagine the PSH the day we're all allowed to take our bullet buttons off.

weber_2
04-29-2012, 7:54 PM
They will call these "assault rifles" and "same rifles used by military/LE" then show a guy with a full auto version dumping with a Beta mag. I love it! Will it be on in the So Cal area? Or can I stream it?

timdps
04-29-2012, 7:56 PM
Will outlawing the bullet button force the opening of the AW registry?

Scott Connors
04-29-2012, 8:02 PM

Are we talking antis struck down by apoplexy?

4DMASTR
04-29-2012, 8:08 PM
I shall follow this, never watch their news because of how they blow everything out of proportion but I will have to for this. Also now follow on FB because I am sure this will be on there as well.

Dreaded Claymore
04-29-2012, 8:22 PM
There are powerful people and corporations doing actual illegal things, constantly. Maybe investigate them a little? And if you want to talk about "riding the letter", how about an actual investigation of "double-Irish" tax loopholes?

Whistleblowers have stated that meatpacking (and other industrialized agricultural) operations literally need to break the law daily in order to turn a profit because a lot of what they're doing is inherently unsafe. For this reason, the industrial-agriculture companies lobby for laws that make it more difficult for activists to investigate them, so they can't be caught.

But sure, go ahead and report on Calguns' idea that makes AR-15s and other common rifles function just like an SKS in order to fit into an exception that the legislature deliberately made. Meanwhile, Monsanto uses their hybridized and lab-engineered seeds to effectively enslave small farmers. Some brave investigative journalists you are.

SilverTauron
04-29-2012, 8:25 PM
I must admit im curious what this broadcast will be. I'm expecting a slanted hack job that will be a monument to "Yellow Journalism", but if its a balanced piece in favor of the 2nd Amendment coming from San Fransisco maybe, just maybe, that bright light ahead in the tunnel is not an oncoming train.....

rexbo47
04-29-2012, 8:32 PM
I must admit im curious what this broadcast will be. I'm expecting a slanted hack job that will be a monument to "Yellow Journalism", but if its a balanced piece in favor of the 2nd Amendment coming from San Fransisco maybe, just maybe, that bright light ahead in the tunnel is not an oncoming train.....

I wouldn't hold my breath until that happens.

dfletcher
04-29-2012, 8:37 PM
Winner^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. Of course it will be bad. I believe it will be a piece to bring this to the public's attention and to get legislators to do something about it.

They will lie and omit pertinent information to get their message across, as they usually do with firearm related subjects. We'll see if I'm wrong.

The advert tonight referenced manufacturers getting around the law, how easy it was to convert. I've no doubt it will be one sided. I wouldn't be surprised if a current or former legislator is on saying "this isn't what we meant to have happen ..."

CitaDeL
04-29-2012, 8:44 PM
Tagged for video.

Somehow, I dont think that this will instigate the same kind of response open carry media coverage recieved... as opening up this can of worms has a plethora of side effects that our lopsided legislature even finds objectionable.

Fjold
04-29-2012, 8:53 PM
Free advertising for the Nor Cal FFLs. I'll bet that the rest of the FFLs in the state would loe to see it run in their areas.

Wrangler John
04-29-2012, 9:01 PM
Count on this being a story done on behest of some legislator to gauge and soften up public opinion. Next thing I'd expect is legislation. I sure I'm not the only one that sees all those black rifles at the ranges and in retail gun racks. There's more black rifles being fired now than before the ban, and they can't stand it.

SilverTauron
04-29-2012, 9:01 PM
Free advertising for the Nor Cal FFLs. I'll bet that the rest of the FFLs in the state would loe to see it run in their areas.

That's going to be a short gold rush. Looks like those poor souls are in for what the Chinese call "Interesting Times".

GOEX FFF
04-29-2012, 9:22 PM
uhhg.. I too have a feeling the "report" is going to butcher this all to hell, and go full lame (as they often do) with something like this.... in not so many words -

"Assault rifles" are banned in CA, but "now" with this simple little "loop-hole device", it allows people to curb the law and make these "illegal assault rifles" legal."
Then we'll probably see some guy dumping a 30rnd mag, when of course only a 10rnd is allowed in a BB rifle. :facepalm:
I hope I'm wrong, but when has the CA Lamestream ever reported something in a positive light about firearms? especially black rifles?

Then Law makers might later this year try and jump all over this and introduce something against it.

I'm an optimistic guy, but once the Lamestream starts reporting about it....:rolleyes: Just look at UOC. It was all good until the Lamestream got wind of it, albeit MANY years/decades later....but still.

Who says that media doesn't read CGN.... I'm in no way, pointing fingers, but the timing is rather coincidental after the Bullet Button Film thread was made.

Calling Mr. Wiese? Any input on this?

CessnaDriver
04-29-2012, 9:29 PM
It's probably an effort in collusion with Boxer and Feinstein.

The media is going to "expose" this terrible loophole that endangers babies and puppies, and the politicians can charge in as champions of goodness and decency to "save" everyone from the dreaded bullet button.

Will they ask statisically how often bullet button equipped firearms are involved in crimes?

Probably not. That might spoil the gun ban fun wouldn't it?

Maybe they give a fair shake, every now and then I get shocked.

s2gots
04-29-2012, 9:40 PM
Well, of they do blow this out of proportion, and keep it one sided, all of us should send letters to the news station and tell them how it really is...we all should just overwhelm them with our letters and dissatisfaction of their news reporting ability...

ldivinag
04-29-2012, 9:50 PM
i suggest someone from the CGF write a pre-emptive type letter to KPIX asking to see the news pak before it goes to air.

that way, any "errors" can be fixed before it airs...

ElvenSoul
04-29-2012, 9:57 PM
You know this could blow up in their face. Lot of people still think you can't own a AR or AK Type Rifle.

Junkie
04-29-2012, 10:05 PM
ifl

dizzy
04-29-2012, 10:20 PM
CBS covered this before a few years ago.
Is it a rerun ?
nFq1nduK1hk

radioman
04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
Calguns members, we need to send KPIX a ton of emails on this. if they lie can we call them on the lie, if they tell it.

berg
04-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Those of you asking for the show to be recorded, you can just watch it yourself on their web site: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/

It will probably be posted on their site Tuesday morning.

peterabbits
04-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Ironically, CBS in Fresno is running a piece on the year long wait for LTC permits Monday at 11.

erik_26
04-29-2012, 10:41 PM
:facepalm:

I can't see how this will be a positive news piece.

I can't see how the complexities and idiocracy of this law (and all gun laws) can be correctly and thoroughly articulated in a 90 second news piece, especially without and ‘anti’ agenda.

Without being the owner of a news station or able to bankroll the purchase of airtime on a major network channel, there is no way to challenge or retort on their piece. Which will naturally, tell the viewer how he/she should feel and not give sufficient facts for the viewer to make up their own educated mind.

I wish we had 100's of millions of dollars to buy 60-minute blocks of airtime explicitly to educate the public during prime time with pro-gun/all constitutional rights information.

Paul S
04-29-2012, 11:10 PM

I can't see how this will be a positive news piece.

I can't see how the complexities and idiocracy of this law (and all gun laws) can be correctly and thoroughly articulated in a 90 second news piece, especially without and ‘anti’ agenda.

Without being the owner of a news station or able to bankroll the purchase of airtime on a major network channel, there is no way to challenge or retort on their piece. Which will naturally, tell the viewer how he/she should feel and not give sufficient facts for the viewer to make up their own educated mind.

I wish we had 100's of millions of dollars to buy 60-minute blocks of airtime explicitly to educate the public during prime time with pro-gun/all constitutional rights information.

If you had that kind of spendable income and were able to produce the reports here is what you'd find. Mainstream, liberal dominated stations would simply refuse to sell you the air time.

G60
04-29-2012, 11:16 PM
+1 to this segment doing nothing but "opening up a whole new market" (to borrow a meme) of people who didn't think we could have such cool stuff here.

DinoPJR
04-29-2012, 11:20 PM
it only airs in SF? so it wont be on in so cal. I would like to watch

FastFinger
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
Ahh.. my old stomping grounds! Somethings never change.

We just entered the "May Book." The current local TV news ratings sweep runs from April 26 through May 23, so now's fun time. Pull out all the stops and do everything possible to suck in eyeballs.

It seems more and more like they spend more money on the ads for these "Special Reports" than they do on the actual series. The hype and flash of the ads does not always reflect actual content of the reports, but in this case it probably will be all negative.

bwiese
04-29-2012, 11:42 PM
This is a byproduct of the recent "cops with AWs having problems"
report awhile back for which I was interviewed.
I suppose a few minor quotes by me might be borrowed for this but doubt
it since I don't have any BulletButton guns (all my EBRs are reg'd AWs.)
The reporters are less 'anti-gun' in many ways than 'just don't get it'.
This will not do us much harm one way or another. With 400+K OLL
EBRs out there that are ordinary semiauto centerfire rifles, any
legislation will have to ban semiautos (impossible) or create a new
fleet of AWs, etc. And a lot of this will be tied into the LEO AW
problem.
This may, if perceived as having interest in other metro areas, be
syndicated out to other CBS outlets.is

GOEX FFF
04-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks Bill. It will be interesting what this report will say/spew nonetheless.

ldivinag
04-30-2012, 12:41 AM
just saw the promo during the 10pm hour during a NYPD cop how about rookies.

the voice over goes as follows:

"rifle sales are booming. the clever way gun makers are getting around some of the nation's toughest laws..."

cut to some "expert" who says:

"california's assault weapons ban will basically be completely ineffective..."

back to V/O guy:

"why it is all about the bullet button monday at 11 on cbs 5"

with a graphic of a guy holding an AR pointing at the viewer

bias much?

sigh...

ldivinag
04-30-2012, 12:54 AM
here's the "contact us" page for kpix...

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/station/cbs-5/

with links to everyone from news director to reporters...

Carnivore
04-30-2012, 1:05 AM
I used to get worried about this stuff:willy_nilly: but let's be honest. Mass shootings,:willy_nilly: Gabby getting shot in AZ:willy_nilly:, Newport beach:willy_nilly: etc and nothing new on the horizon. I really doubt this will get much more then a few people mad and like has been said sell a bunch of AR's now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

I_Love_My_.38
04-30-2012, 1:37 AM
I used to get worried about this stuff:willy_nilly: but let's be honest. Mass shootings,:willy_nilly: Gabby getting shot in AZ:willy_nilly:, Newport beach:willy_nilly: etc and nothing new on the horizon. I really doubt this will get much more then a few people mad and like has been said sell a bunch of AR's now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak.

Yeah, I agree, before I became a gun owner I thought EBR's were illegal here in Cali. Someone should download the video from the site on Tuesday and youtube it

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
04-30-2012, 5:43 AM
Will the reporter be wearing a Bikini while "reporting" the story?

This is the evening news after all.

:confused:

robcoe
04-30-2012, 5:50 AM
Great.

Those people buy advertiseing time on CBS, gun and BB makers don't, that's why these "reporters" go after the gun and BB makers

Mr. Gillious
04-30-2012, 5:53 AM
the only thing i like about channel 5 cbs news is that fine asian chick in the morning with the hoop ear rings

SanPedroShooter
04-30-2012, 6:19 AM
The CA 'assault weapon' regulation scheme is so convoluted, so complex and so reliant on multiple layers of shell game legislation, 20 years of criminal law, regulatory law, court cases, registration periods, exemptions and on and on, going after fixed mags at this point would be like trying to take apart a house of cards by pulling the bottom card out with a leaf blower.... The whole shakey edifice would come down around your ears...

This 'news story' is ten years to late.

timdps
04-30-2012, 7:21 AM
...cut to some "expert" who says:

"california's assault weapons ban will basically be completely ineffective..."

Far too late for "will basically be completely ineffective...".

At this point in time its now more like: "california's assault weapons ban has become completely ineffective..."

m03
04-30-2012, 7:26 AM
Far too late for "will basically be completely ineffective...".

At this point in time its now more like: "california's assault weapons ban has become completely ineffective..."

How about "was always ineffective", considering the premise that it would reduce crime is ridiculous to the point of being laughable.

NotEnufGarage
04-30-2012, 7:29 AM
Those in the know should carefully scrutinize this upcoming report and if any misinformation or outright lies are told, or if any laws are broken, such as putting a 30 round mag in a BB'd weapon, they should approach a rival TV station with those facts and see if they can get them to do a piece on CBS breaking the law or lying to their viewers. Maybe it could become a whole series of how the local stations lie in their reporting?

Jason_2111
04-30-2012, 9:16 AM
Actually... if you think about it, a BulletButton (tm) by itself is in fact a choking hazard for small children. ;)

Since I've got an extra one just sitting here, and there are small children about a block away from my house, I think I need to build another EBR ASAP and install it... it's to keep the children safe.

Kid Stanislaus
04-30-2012, 9:18 AM

I've heard they've been used to kill thousands of kittens!:rolleyes:

Wherryj
04-30-2012, 10:08 AM
well between Skinner, DeLeon, Dickinson, Steinberg, Liu, Price, and Ammiano they can all sponsor it!

Well, on the other hand if they try to ban bullet buttons they'll have this little issue to deal with-the issue of all of these currently legal BB'ed rifles. In the worst of cases, I suspect that we'll have a new "registration period", and an "assault weapon" is an "assault weapon", right?

That might mean an entirely new group of AWs-right up to the point when CGF/SAF/NRA actually get these laws regarding the cosmetics of weapons thrown out.

SilverTauron
04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Gentlemen and ladies, gun laws like your state's "Assault Weapons Ban" aren't meant to prevent or reduce crime . Its meant to ensure Joe Citizen cant just walk into a store and buy an AR15. Were it up to the political sector in your state, there wouldn't be bullet buttons, magazine limits, or even an Assault Weapon law :there would be a total ban.Not a cop? Not a member of the military? Then no weapon for you, no exceptions unless you're wealthy enough to just buy a permit to carry or afford premium counsel.

Unfortunately for the disarmament lobby, passing the blanket ban they want is illegal due to court precedent.Bummer.

But like taxing cigarettes to discourage smoking, just because you cant ban an activity doesn't mean you cannot tax, toll, regulate, restrict, and tack on so many laws and rules that most ordinary people will just give up. If you cant ban something, the next best thing is to make owning that item so painful and onerous that people just won't bother. In that respect, the Assault Weapons Ban is in fact *quite* effective.

interstellar
04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Did anyone here on CalGuns get interviewed for this report - LE, gunsmiths, dealers? It would be great to compare and contrast the actual interviews with the edited versions.

CZ9
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
When i saw that clip on tv for the special report comming up, its really gonna push me to get an AR pistol...

sfpcservice
04-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Watching the news at all is like having an open sewer line running into your living room. 90% of the stuff they report doesn't affect me, and the rest a complete lie meant to ccaptivate and distract the sheeple. I may have gotten my percentages mixed up.....

1BigPea
04-30-2012, 11:57 AM
Coming from SF, this will be a horrible piece of reporting.

corcoraj2002
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
+1 to this segment doing nothing but "opening up a whole new market" (to borrow a meme) of people who didn't think we could have such cool stuff here.

So you're saying it could be a game changer?

SJgunguy24
04-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Sounds like free advertising for Darin Prince's trademarked product. This will maybe educate the many LEO's out there who still think that any EBR is illegal.

mag360
04-30-2012, 12:30 PM
or confuse them even more in regards to "featureless"

SamsDX
04-30-2012, 1:23 PM

This short video is a good start:

14URdqHJRcQ

This would probably be a good counter to the CBS segment. If only it could get some airtime...

SilverTauron
04-30-2012, 1:23 PM
Sounds like free advertising for Darin Prince's trademarked product. This will maybe educate the many LEO's out there who still think that any EBR is illegal.

We all better hope Joe Gangbanger doesn't get caught with a bullet-buttoned AR15 he stole from someone.

Perfect, meet Storm.

FastFinger
04-30-2012, 1:37 PM
When i saw that clip on tv for the special report comming up, its really gonna push me to get an AR pistol...

Shouldn't that be "When i saw that magazine on tv for the special report comming up..."

Ohhh... never mind...

WReyth
04-30-2012, 1:46 PM
Shouldn't that be "When i saw that magazine on tv for the special report comming up..."

Ohhh... never mind...

Was it limited to 10 minutes ;)

Desertdog702
04-30-2012, 4:01 PM
Really what does it matter if the gangbangers get one with a bullet button and commit a crime with it? There will be crime with guns, laws do not stop crime, isnt homocide against the law, yet folks still kill. I understand the media would make a news thing out of it and the anti's will use it to funther the anti propaganda machine, but they will do that anyways.

These anti-gun ppl SAY they are against crime, so turn it on them, I say that if someone uses a AW in a crime, they add "x" years to the sentence, if they use an AW in a murder then they get the death penalty, period. That would only effect the criminals who use these guns in a crime yet make it legal to own for non prohibited persons. Also add time if they are a felon in possesion of these types of weapons, maybe 10 to life? I bet the gun grabbers would not go for that.

We all know these laws do not work, why do they keep feeding this crap to CA voters?

chiselchst
04-30-2012, 4:23 PM
I am NOT a fan of our local CBS 5 news. To be very polite...

When watching recorded shows from the DVR, and I miss the cut point when skipping commercials - and have to watch some of the CBS 5 News teaser at 11pm, I almost get sick.

I'll watch it, but I bet they sensationalize it to try & scare elderly woman and young children :rolleyes:

hvengel
04-30-2012, 5:01 PM
Really what does it matter if the gangbangers get one with a bullet button and commit a crime with it? There will be crime with guns, laws do not stop crime, isnt homocide against the law, yet folks still kill. I understand the media would make a news thing out of it and the anti's will use it to funther the anti propaganda machine, but they will do that anyways.

These anti-gun ppl SAY they are against crime, so turn it on them, I say that if someone uses a AW in a crime, they add "x" years to the sentence, if they use an AW in a murder then they get the death penalty, period. That would only effect the criminals who use these guns in a crime yet make it legal to own for non prohibited persons. Also add time if they are a felon in possesion of these types of weapons, maybe 10 to life? I bet the gun grabbers would not go for that.

We all know these laws do not work, why do they keep feeding this crap to CA voters?

California already has a use a gun get an enhanced sentence law on the books. If I remember correctly if you have a gun when committing certain crimes you get an extra 5 years. If the gun is fired but no one is injured you get an extra 10 years and if you injure someone with the gun you get an extra 25 years. Murder is already 25 to life and I believe the 25 year enhancement can be tacked on top of that if you use a gun to commit the homicide. And it does not mater what type of gun is used so this applies to using a single shot or an AW.

The problem is that California's prisons are so full that federal judges are ordering that prisoners be released early. There is no room available to house these offenders so DA's don't ask for the enhancement and judges don't add it when sentencing offenders.

lilro
04-30-2012, 5:08 PM
The problem is that California's prisons are so full that federal judges are ordering that prisoners be released early. There is no room available to house these offenders so DA's don't ask for the enhancement and judges don't add it when sentencing offenders.

The Corrections Corporation of America will take care of that
http://www.alternet.org/story/155199/private_prison_corporations_are_modern_day_slave_t raders?akid=8678.225075.rakSV-&rd=1&t=12

Guaranteed 90% full capacity at all prisons.

But back on topic, I just saw the commercial for the bullet button story and it doesn't look like it's going to be good.

Stonewalker
04-30-2012, 5:40 PM
It's too bad they don't interview the creator of the bullet button, or anybody who doesn't hate guns for that matter.

nicegal
04-30-2012, 5:43 PM
CBS Channel 5 in SF is evidently doing a piece on the "Bullet Button" Monday @ 11:00pm. If the adverts are any indication it will be a hit piece complete with cuts showing the BB in place then switching to some fellow emptying a 30 round magazine.

I'm curious to see how much of the penal code they actually read. The bullet button is legal based on the current California penal code. If they don't get it right I will be emailing them tomorrow. Hope others do as well. If someone fired a 30 round magazine they better have been police or military. It will be interesting to see if they disclose that or make it look like anyone can use a high capacity magazine in Cali. If they don't they will be getting two emails from me! :)

DasBoost
04-30-2012, 6:20 PM
This short video is a good start:

14URdqHJRcQ

This would probably be a good counter to the CBS segment. If only it could get some airtime...

Posted this on FB; great video. Really explains the CA legislative clusterf**k. Too bad it makes sense to the legislators... :rolleyes:

freonr22
04-30-2012, 6:52 PM
Tag, ohh, points to sig line

Write Winger
04-30-2012, 7:42 PM
It's all about the featureless!!!! :D

jdberger
04-30-2012, 7:59 PM
Bring it.

I'm hoping for a vile hit piece that completely distorts everything, and even claims that thousands of BB'd guns are used in crimes daily.

And then a coordinated push for a ban.

All before November.

javalos
04-30-2012, 8:22 PM
They can attempt to say that we found a loop hole in the hole and are exploiting it, nonsense, we are upholding the law and are careful not to violate the law. We need to remind the Constitution haters of Harrott v. County of Kings (25 P.3d 649 (Cal. 2001) in that it is legal to purchase and own such receivers and the receivers are configured in a manner as to not violate Penal Code section 12276.1

siznarf
04-30-2012, 8:32 PM
Can someone please record and share this video ... I'm stuck at work til 3AM

m03
04-30-2012, 8:34 PM
I can't wait to see how many new members join between tonight and tomorrow due to this story :)

j-rod
04-30-2012, 8:47 PM

I'm recording it. I'll have to figure out a way to get it out and available but at least it will be recorded

USMCM16A2
04-30-2012, 8:47 PM
Calgunners,

These people only understand their own agenda, they only care about measures that MAKE THEM feel good. I have been in California 43 of my 45 years, I remember when you could walk into B&B sales (an example) buy an AK47, a Colt AR15 and pay your money and walk. Times have changed.
In that era we were a much more conservative State that had a booming economy, high paying jobs and people in office that respected the Constitution. As we all know the dynamic has reversed itself, we have politicians that only care about staying in office. The one advantage we have is the Second Amendment, but it will be a fight. The idiots like Mike Feurer, Gavin Nuisance, Diane Fineswine, all dont give 2 ****z whether you can defend your family, target shoot with your bullet button equipped AR15, or hunt upland game with your 12 gauge. They know nothing about the shooting sports, do not care, and will continue to erode our 2A rights.
So use the most powerful resource we have, the Calguns Foundation send in your dollars to support our cause. $25 in-bound to CGF, A2

Tacit Blue
04-30-2012, 8:50 PM
Calgunners,

These people only understand their own agenda, they only care about measures that MAKE THEM feel good. I have been in California 43 of my 45 years, I remember when you could walk into B&B sales (an example) buy an AK47, a Colt AR15 and pay your money and walk. Times have changed.
In that era we were a much more conservative State that had a booming economy, high paying jobs and people in office that respected the Constitution. As we all know the dynamic has reversed itself, we have politicians that only care about staying in office. The one advantage we have is the Second Amendment, but it will be a fight. The idiots like Mike Feurer, Gavin Nuisance, Diane Fineswine, all dont give 2 ****z whether you can defend your family, target shoot with your bullet button equipped AR15, or hunt upland game with your 12 gauge. They know nothing about the shooting sports, do not care, and will continue to erode our 2A rights.
So use the most powerful resource we have, the Calguns Foundation send in your dollars to support our cause. $25 in-bound to CGF, A2

So true. I'll say it again, that small box " labeled freedom" around your own personal space is reducing in size. Step out of line, you'll be arrested or cited.

kcbrown
04-30-2012, 9:03 PM
I guess the media has nothing better to do then fearmongering. There are over X00k OLL's in the State. There is no way the useless turds in Sacramento will be able to do anything about that at this point.

I see plenty of claims like this.

All I can say is: you guys lack imagination. Now you might be right that the turds in Sacramento won't come up with something that stops the BB in its tracks, but if anyone on their side of things has any imagination at all, they will come up with something that stops the BB in its tracks.

And no, I'm not going to say what they might come up with, because I'm not in the business of giving the enemy any good ideas.

They want to ban BB's? They will have to do something about all of us who already legally have BB rifles.

No, they won't. And if you think about what the BB is and examine the law that leads to its existence, you'll understand why.

BB rifles are here to stay. Go to any range and you will see a ton of folks out there with their BB'ed/Featureless AR/AK pattern rifles. Go to the majority of gunshops and you will see BB'ed and featureless OLL's lining their walls.

The media can run as many FUD segments on the news as they want. Worse case scenario, I get to register my OLL's and take the stupid bullet button off and use standard cap mags in them.

No, that's not the worst case scenario.

rips31
04-30-2012, 9:37 PM
if you're referring to grace lee (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/personality/grace-lee/), she's not the morning anchor anymore. she's moved to general assignment reporting. she was only a temporary anchor. i much prefer the blonde traffic gal, elizabeth wenger (http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/personality/elizabeth-wenger/). :D

but back on-topic, this sounds like status quo for msm. at least the previous news segment had the reporter (linda yee) showing some good trigger discipline.

the only thing i like about channel 5 cbs news is that fine asian chick in the morning with the hoop ear rings

joemama
04-30-2012, 9:45 PM
Lol some news team, 3 years late.

more like 6 lol.

stix213
04-30-2012, 9:49 PM
I see plenty of claims like this.

All I can say is: you guys lack imagination. Now you might be right that the turds in Sacramento won't come up with something that stops the BB in its tracks, but if anyone on their side of things has any imagination at all, they will come up with something that stops the BB in its tracks.

And no, I'm not going to say what they might come up with, because I'm not in the business of giving the enemy any good ideas.

No, they won't. And if you think about what the BB is and examine the law the leads to its existence, you'll understand why.

No, that's not the worst case scenario.

I would definitely agree there are several avenues that could be taken to attack us here. (I'm frankly surprised they haven't tried) I though also hope you agree that our risk of that happening while not zero is still pretty limited.

I believe one reason why they haven't gone after us here yet is the Brady Bunch likes to talk about the CA AWB as a serious success. Admitting there is a "problem" in CA would also involve the Brady Bunch admitting that the CA AWB has turned out to largely be a failure for them instead of a victory. Remember these are people that like to claim victory when they are defeated (Heller/McDonald), not the other way around.

The real worst case scenario though would be if BB'd EBRs started popping up at high profile crime scenes and the media figured out to make that the story. Unlikely since anyone who has no problem robbing, killing, etc also would have dropped their BB at their first opportunity.

Ford8N
04-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Will outlawing the bullet button force the opening of the AW registry?

I hope so.

Well, on the other hand if they try to ban bullet buttons they'll have this little issue to deal with-the issue of all of these currently legal BB'ed rifles. In the worst of cases, I suspect that we'll have a new "registration period", and an "assault weapon" is an "assault weapon", right?

That might mean an entirely new group of AWs-right up to the point when CGF/SAF/NRA actually get these laws regarding the cosmetics of weapons thrown out.

The rulers have painted themselves into a corner with the AW laws. If I was them, I wouldn't do anything. About the only thing they really can do, since the current law is based on appearances, rather than actual mechanical operation, is a total ban of all semi-auto firearms.

GOEX FFF
04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
I hope so.

The rulers have painted themselves into a corner with the AW laws. If I was them, I wouldn't do anything. About the only thing they really can do, since the current law is based on appearances, rather than actual mechanical operation, is a total ban of all semi-auto firearms.

And as Bill mentioned, that's all but impossible.

Yugo
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
still no video?

GOEX FFF
04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
still no video?

It's on at 11PM.

Fortunately, if it's a complete FUD fest, it's also a work night and most ppl will be asleep anyhow, and my guess is that it wont be the first story of the evening.

Write Winger
04-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Liberty is a loophole. That is all.

Yugo
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
ok will be waiting... :D

Yugo
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
ok will be waiting... :D

kcbrown
04-30-2012, 10:49 PM

:rolleyes:

Like I said, lack of imagination...

kcbrown
04-30-2012, 10:54 PM
I would definitely agree there are several avenues that could be taken to attack us here. (I'm frankly surprised they haven't tried) I though also hope you agree that our risk of that happening while not zero is still pretty limited.

It is limited only because this stuff has seen relatively little attention. What remains to be seen is if this piece is merely a "one-off" piece that yields little change, or if it is merely a preview of things to come.

If it is the latter, and a lot of attention ends up being focused upon this, then the California legislature can put a stake through the BB's heart without too much trouble, and with relatively minimal change to the text of the law.

siznarf
04-30-2012, 10:58 PM

I'm recording it. I'll have to figure out a way to get it out and available but at least it will be recorded

very nice ... thank you brotha :clap::clap::clap:

Tacit Blue
04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/live-video/

is this the right channel? Doesnt look like a program on it.

Blackhawk556
04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
That spy in the duffle bag is a weird story.

Tacit Blue
04-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah lmao. Somebody wanted to send a message. Oh its coming up next!!! They just had to air through all the bs stories first.

vincnet11
04-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Its next! They said something like "Rifle Sales are booming, see how they get around the nation's toughest laws"...

Hakoomay
04-30-2012, 11:15 PM

watch it now, its coming up next after the twins and cold medication

bloodhawke83
04-30-2012, 11:16 PM

is this the right channel? Doesnt look like a program on it.

yeah. i cant find it.

freonr22
04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
K
Twins were pretty

Hakoomay
04-30-2012, 11:18 PM
its coming up in the next few mnutes

lilro
It's on now.

freonr22
On now

big103
04-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Just starting.

Tacit Blue
I love all the shooting stories before the main show :nono: bastards..

Blackhawk556
Here we go

freonr22
John largaspoda?

freonr22
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Gun mfgs are selling assault rifles to California!

TheBest
04-30-2012, 11:20 PM
I love the red light at Jackson Arms.

vincnet11
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
"they are selling assault rifles to californias like this" its called a bullet button.

freonr22
04-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Mag magnet.

TheBest
04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Felony magnet.

freonr22
04-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Feinstein cannot comment .. Bb marketing campaign = huge. Violence prevention

DC-8
04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
"It's about the rush"
"I feel like I'm on top of the world"

Wow...

Eddie1965
Of course they had to show the mag magnet.

IrishPirate
once again...CBS=Commie Bull Sh*t

shmeare
weak....

IPSICK
Felony magnet.

That's what I was thinking. Did they just manufacture an AW and commit a felony and videotaped it?

vincnet11
So did you guys enjoy the show?:43:

Blackhawk556
What a coincidence they use the mag magnet. Even many here say it should be avoided. It looks like they'll continue after the commercial break

4DMASTR
No one could comment..... Because no laws are being broken maybe?

MT1
04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Love the "violence policy center" there making a claim with absolutely no factual evidence to back it up.

CZ9
That damn mag magnet really needs to go away, making us look bad. And I loved how they kept calling them "assault rifles" cuz ya know, we all own select fire full autos....

lilro
LOL they advertised the illegal mag magnet.

MT1
That's what I was thinking. Did they just manufacture an AW and commit a felony and videotaped it?

Yep. That thing is 100% illegal.

b.faust
Holy &*#! that was some lame *ss reporting....

"OMG ASSAULT RIFLE!!!"

big103
Not a positive piece.

Tacit Blue
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
What a poor sad attempt, I'm glad none of those agencies and the DOJ wanted to comment. That should show where we stand in relation of their current agenda's.

And they couldn't have picked a more ignorant shooter to interview:pinch: " I can understand how the cops would be upset or something".

This segment literally made me chuckle...

IPSICK
I like how the law only looks to create criminals out of law-abiding gun owners yet they want to link people trying to follow the law to crimes.

GDM
Did they just break the law by installing one of those magnet devices on the BB?

jj805
Not too horrible. Still, allot of FUD. I like how Fineswine was " unable to participate".

707electrician
04-30-2012, 11:27 PM
They are selling assault rifles in ca with the bullet button? That seems like z contradictory statement. A rifle with a bullet button is not an assault weapon by definition

ldivinag
allen martin: aemartin@kpix.cbs.com

patriot_man

Things like this make me cringe.

PEBKAC
Loved the part where nobody was commenting, because those they asked for comment can't say anything that would fit with the spin they are putting on it.

Felony magnet is going to get me sending an email to them though.

MrEd
All in all not to bad a segment , except for the mag"felony"magnet and they guy saying it is about the rush owning an assault rifle and "I feel on the top of the world" part .

bloodhawke83
04-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Well, they're just saying the assault weapon ban isn't working.

bwiese
04-30-2012, 11:28 PM
There's a 90+% chance a felony was committed on TV.

The MagMagnet was shown being placed over a BulletButton-equipped gun and left affixed.

I didn't see an image of the full rifle, and there is a chance the rifle shown in that instance was a rimfire or nonsemiauto ;-) - but you do the math.

E30_autox
04-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I love how they did a segment of the college shooting right before going into the bullet button part.

Lol

bloodhawke83
All in all not to bad a segment , except for the mag"felony"magnet and they guy saying it is about the rush owning an assault rifle and "I feel on the top of the world" part .

Yeah, that kid was a db. I hope he isn't one of us, if he is then permaban. :43:

IPSICK

The guy seemed like a punk rock mall ninja to me. Was that a real ACOG on his rifle?

Santa Cruz Armory
:::YAWN::: :rolleyes:

bohoki
04-30-2012, 11:30 PM
i thought it was very informative and there is no bad publicity

IPSICK
I love how they did a segment of the college shooting right before going into the bullet button part.

Lol

They always do that.

Tacit Blue
I FEEL ONTOP OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!! Kid needs to get laid baha.

timdps
04-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Never used the correct term "assault weapon". Everyone used "assault rifle".

Whoever put that magnet on the gun manufactured an AW.

No LEOs or even Feinstein would comment? Winning!

ldivinag
shall i invite allen martin to this thread?

hee hee...

GDM
I think the guy who developed the Bullet Button should sue for false advertisement. KPIX was giving the gun manufactures all the credit...instead it should be him :44:

SwPx4
yeah... not as bad as i thought it could have been.

terrible reporting though... barely got in to the history and purpose of the bullet button. poor journalistic integrity.

no mention of how other states can have free people and guns with NO DIFFERENCE (if not a better) in crime rates with "assault weapons"...

boo...

IPSICK
i thought it was very informative and there is no bad publicity

Sarcasm?

Ksmash01
That left a bad taste in my mouth.....

No sir, I didn't like it.

That geek from Washington needs to understand that LEGAL firearms aren't the problem.

That's what this report did, IMO, make legal firearms an issue. It's an attempt to make BB'd OLL's look the same as "Assault Rifles"(per the CA definition). And the way they referred to it as a loop-hole...maaaannnn that really grinds my gears.

I wonder if there is a way to use that to get rid of the darned things(Bullet Buttons that is).

kAnJii
I liked the Jackson arms' instructor's final words, but wished they didn't cut him off. Want to hear what he had to say. CBS sure didn't want to let the people hear him.

Blackhawk556
04-30-2012, 11:32 PM
The guy from VPC says people are being put at risk, exactly how?rifles with bullet buttons have been sold for years and i don't see what they are talking about.

IPSICK
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
I liked the Jackson arms' instructor's final words, but wished they didn't cut him off. Want to hear what he had to say. CBS sure didn't want to let the people hear him.

It could ruin the picture they were trying to paint.

bladerunner67
04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
I wish when ever one of these stupid morons start calling AR15's & AK47's "assault" weapons a big hand would appear and slap them in the back of their heads, hard enough for them to see stars...like Gibbs does on NCIS! Because in all my years on this planet, I've never seen a rifle or hand gun leap off a table and "assault" anybody!

Dan in Silicon Valley

tonelar
04-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Wait 'til one of them gets a hold of a featureless AR. That'll make their pointy little heads spin right off.

Someone should advise CBS 5 that they committed a felony on the air.

rbahri5206

Why not report them to the ATF, I would love to see ther own story backfire on them.

Also, how does the news always find the stupidest person to interview?

repubconserv
I wish when ever one of these stupid morons start calling AR15's & AK47's "assault" weapons a big hand would appear and slap them in the back of their heads, hard enough for them to see stars...like Gibbs does on NCIS! Because in all my years on this planet, I've never seen a rifle or hand gun leap off a table and "assault" anybody!

Dan in Silicon Valley

You have never seen the world through the eyes of a liberal

IPSICK

Dan in Silicon Valley

Well they actually were assault weapons when they attached the mag magnet.

However, they were calling them assault rifles not assault weapons. Still wrong, but in a different way.

MT1
The guy from VPC says people are being put at risk, exactly how?rifles with bullet buttons have been sold for years and i don't see what they are talking about.

It's a flat out line with the intent of alarming an ignorant public, and CBS showed their blatant bias by airing that.

And then they follow up that guy with some lame mall ninja who makes us all look dumb.

Yugo
04-30-2012, 11:35 PM
so many LEOS here cant someone go arrest someone over there for committing this felony?

FastFinger
Wow! He went to a gun show. But being the daring, investigative, intrepid, reporter that he is he didn't just go to a gun show... he went UNDERCOVER!!! Amazing that he made it out without his cover being blown! Dang... grainy video, shaky cam shots and everything. Very, very daring and exciting. He even fooled the beef jerky lady! Pure Peabody win all the way!

Tacit Blue
Maybe somebody can explain who's insisting that CBS in San Francisco put this on the air? Who is the mysterious puppet behind the scene? Seems like they're trying to stir the pot again and apply pressure so they can review the law again.

Librarian
04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
A quick skim of the segment:

Intro – "AR 15s and AK 47s are the must have guns of choice"

"The latest marketing scheme involves a tiny device that has shot a big loophole through the law.

How is it these military style guns are legal?"

Nice demo of the difference between BB and standard mag release.

‘Mag Magnet’; sigh.

Josh Sugarman – whee! "All be placed in jeopardy…"

Brian Normandy at Jackson Arms did a fine job.

The CBS folks ran into a problem: they had to keep calling the guns 'California legal'. I think they failed to gin up any outrage - and I agree, if DiFi wouldn't comment, I think it shows the real political judgement here -- this is a non-issue.

ldivinag
04-30-2012, 11:36 PM
Why not report them to the ATF, I would love to see ther own story backfire on them.

well not really stupid.

they find people that fits their agenda.

do you think the tv show COPS show law abiding citizen NOT breaking any laws?

gcvt
04-30-2012, 11:37 PM
"All about the thrill of owning an assault rifle."

Wow. The sheeple in SF will eat this up like 3 day old sushi.

GOEX FFF
I haven't seen the "report" yet since I'm in SO Cal. But per my previous post last night, I just knew they'd say "Assault Rifle". I've been around the block or 2 from when CA used to be a free state, this crap they spew is so predictable.

MT1

Won't happen, besides, it's a DOJ issue, not the ATF.

And they go after the dumbest person they can find on purpose, it's pretty much SOP when you're pushing an agenda.

NSR500
04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
"IF" they created an AW using the Mag Magnet, I'd love to see a member of the press go to jail for it.

Tacit Blue
04-30-2012, 11:38 PM
A quick skim of the segment:

Intro – "AR 15s and AK 47s are the must have guns of choice"

"The latest marketing scheme involves a tiny device that has shot a big loophole through the law.

How is it these military style guns are legal?"

Nice demo of the difference between BB and standard mag release.

‘Mag Magnet’; sigh.

Josh Sugarman – whee! "All be placed in jeopardy…"

Brian Normandy at Jackson Arms did a fine job.

The CBS folks ran into a problem: they had to keep calling the guns 'California legal'. I think they failed to gin up any outrage - and I agree, if DiFi wouldn't comment, I think it shows the real political judgement here -- this is a non-issue.

They should review the history of the AR15, well I know it's not important in their anti-gun agenda. It should be noted that the AR15 was sold as a civilian rifle, before the military was forced to buy it. They were happy with their M14's at the time.

glockfu
04-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Damn, I missed it.

strongpoint
04-30-2012, 11:40 PM
at first, i was ashamed to have spent time in the same profession as this reporter. then i remembered he's on TV, and that what he's doing doesn't really qualify as journalism.

GOEX FFF
04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Won't happen, besides, it's a DOJ issue, not the ATF.

And they go after the dumbest person they can find on purpose, it's pretty much SOP when you're pushing an agenda.

Yep, I'll bet they interviewed a number of people and didn't like their responses, so they found some dolt that would give them juice they were looking for. Its typical. :rolleyes:

Yugo
please someone with some writing skills report these idiots.....PLEASE!!!!

Chontkleer
Posted this on FB; great video. Really explains the CA legislative clusterf**k. Too bad it makes sense to the legislators... :rolleyes:

@6:51: Gunshop owner is holding a lower with a 30 round magazine in it. He puts on a monsterman grip and says "this makes it legal".

Scratch705
04-30-2012, 11:42 PM
missed the live stream, can't find the video of the segment on their site, guess will have to wait for someone to upload to youtube.

gcvt
04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Anybody youtube'ing it? I don't even know how to pull this off my DVR because I'm so :oji:

Tacit Blue
04-30-2012, 11:43 PM
please someone with some writing skills report these idiots.....PLEASE!!!!

I agree we should fight back, were already in a corner with regards to the rest of the public opinions in this state. We should fight back send CBS a letter informing of the crime and how bad that segment was, and then contact the CA DOJ.

We should create more articles and videos on public awareness.

FastFinger
04-30-2012, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't be too tough with Mr. "On top of the world!" Fact is every now and then after a good day at the range I also feel like I'm on top of the world. But then I never got the memo directing that there's a problem with sharing my enthusiasm.

The reporter gets friendly with a guy at the range, talks about how cool the rifle is - shoots the bull for a few minutes - and the kid shares his passion for the AR. Of course the editor cuts it jussssst sssoooo.

Could have been a lot worse.

Yugo
Anybody youtube'ing it? I don't even know how to pull this off my DVR because I'm so :oji:

it takes some skills to do this dont blame your age. :43:

9mmrevolver
Wish someone one put a link here for the video.

Yugo
04-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I agree we should fight back, were already in a corner with regards to the rest of the public opinions in this state. We should fight back send CBS a letter informing of the crime and how bad that segment was, and then contact the CA DOJ.

YES I wish I had some writing skills I would have already been doing it....PLEASE guys I know at least ONE of you can write a good letter and send it to them and the DOJ give these prinks a taste of there own poison. :chris:

alfred1222
04-30-2012, 11:47 PM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/7103564-bullet-button-used-to-get-around-california-gun-laws/

FOUND THE LINK

ldivinag
04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
hit their facebook page...

hee hee...

https://www.facebook.com/CBSSanFrancisco

megavolt121
04-30-2012, 11:50 PM
maREvuxirBg

gcvt
04-30-2012, 11:52 PM
I love how they present this as "the latest marketing scheme." How many years has it been now?

m03
04-30-2012, 11:54 PM

They're also the same ones that, in the old days, claimed that a pistol-grip enabled you to "spray-fire from the hip", which is pretty much the exact opposite of what a pistol grip does.

They've always been BSers.

alfred1222
04-30-2012, 11:54 PM
i think it was one of the most poorly researched and idiotic pieces of journalism that ive ever seen. Of course they pick the kid who is all gung ho about being on tv and saying stupid sh*t as their spotlight guy, not someone who actually understands the law. these people are morons

FastFinger
04-30-2012, 11:57 PM
As I recall we never saw the entire rifle with the mag thing, so no way to know whether or not it was an illegal config. In fact has the DOJ come out and declare them illegal? Has anyone been arrested and convicted for using one? Either way, lame complaint. It's like ranting about BO's birth certificate. Not that the complaint isn't without potential merit - but there's just more glaring and substantial criticism.

From a journalistic POV the problem was a clear bias and lack of context. Referring to them as "assault weapons" was just sloppy and pejorative. It'd be like doing a story on driving under the influence and referring to every driver on the road a drunk driver. No, if they haven't had a drink they're not driving under the influence.

And to the reporters credit I think he gave our side a fair shot at presenting our case. Of course there's a whole lot more detail and nuance that could have been presented, but this isn't an hour long Frontline, this is a typical 4 or 5 minute, local TV, drive by hit piece. Do not confuse it with "journalism."

Overall I would say this probably is a case of all publicity being good publicity. I'm sure there are more than just a few viewers who after the piece was finished thought.. "Cool. I did not know that. Wonder where I can get me one of them?"

ldivinag
04-30-2012, 11:57 PM
News Assignment Desk: newsdesk@kpix.com
News Director – Dan Rosenheim: rosenheim@kpix.cbs.com
Internet Director – Jim Parker: jparker@cbs.com
President/GM – Ron Longinotti: rlonginotti@kpix.cbs.com
Engineering – Michael Englehaupt: menglehaupt@kpix.cbs.com
Programming – Tom Spitz: tvprogram@kpix.cbs.com
Public Affairs – Rosemary Roach: roach@kpix.cbs.com
Communications Director – Akilah Bolden Monifa: amonifa@kpix.cbs.com
Sales – Dan Ackerman: dackerman@cbs.com

allen martin - aemartin@kpix.cbs.com

Yugo
05-01-2012, 12:00 AM
News Assignment Desk: newsdesk@kpix.com
News Director – Dan Rosenheim: rosenheim@kpix.cbs.com
Internet Director – Jim Parker: jparker@cbs.com
President/GM – Ron Longinotti: rlonginotti@kpix.cbs.com
Engineering – Michael Englehaupt: menglehaupt@kpix.cbs.com
Programming – Tom Spitz: tvprogram@kpix.cbs.com
Public Affairs – Rosemary Roach: roach@kpix.cbs.com
Communications Director – Akilah Bolden Monifa: amonifa@kpix.cbs.com
Sales – Dan Ackerman: dackerman@cbs.com

allen martin - aemartin@kpix.cbs.com

this should be good please post copies if someone sends anything for the rest of us to read and chuckle.

MT1
05-01-2012, 12:01 AM
IMO they shouldn't be contacted, nothing to gain by doing so.

G60
05-01-2012, 12:02 AM
If you're going to contact them, don't be *******s, people.

My god, Josh Sugarmann is a dweeb.

SoCalSon
05-01-2012, 12:03 AM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/7103564-bullet-button-used-to-get-around-california-gun-laws/

FOUND THE LINK

Thanks Alfred

morfeeis
05-01-2012, 12:07 AM

FOUND THE LINK
Thank you.

Mindless FUD as always.....

Chontkleer
05-01-2012, 12:07 AM
It's been said before a few times in different ways, but this could very well have been sponsored by gun manufacturers who wanted to bring the bullet button out of the shadows and show all of California that they can go out and get that rifle they've been lusting for now (appealing to that little bit of larceny and mischief in all of our hearts).

Full Clip
05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
I hope the interviewed bwiese again for the facts.

Why? So his statements can be distorted and taken out of context in the editing room?

GOEX FFF
05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Ok just saw it, thanks Megavolt121!

I'm also going to quote myself from last night -

Originally posted by GOEX FFF: uhhg.. I too have a feeling the "report" is going to butcher this all to hell, and go full lame (as they often do) (check) with something like this.... in not so many words -

"Assault rifles" (check) are banned in CA, (check) but "now" (check) with this simple little "loop-hole device", (check) it allows people to curb the law and make these "illegal assault rifles" legal." (check)
Then we'll probably see some guy dumping a 30rnd mag, (close, they showed a 30rnd mag with 30rnds of ammo laying next to it, but the average Joe watching has no clue about 10/30's..) when of course only a 10rnd is allowed in a BB rifle. :facepalm: <snip>

Yep, totally predicable. :rolleyes:

m03
05-01-2012, 12:09 AM
In other news: "Plastic Card Called 'Drivers License' Used to Get Around California Driving Laws".

Personally, I think we'll get far more positive out of that story than we wil negative. Pretty much everyone who thought that they couldn't legally own an AR was just told that they can after all.

bwiese
05-01-2012, 12:10 AM
the mag thing, so no way to know whether or not it was an illegal config.

Theoretically yes. Practically, during a limited time period I could see no time to do a 22LR conversion or remove gas tube/plug gas port.

In fact has the DOJ come out and declare them illegal?

Lack of proclamation does not drive legality.

Proclamation of illegality by a political agency does not mean illegality.

Has anyone been arrested and convicted for using one?

I have very reliable report there is an individual followed home from Big Reno show who allegedly (i.e., on video with DOJ) imported hicap mags back into CA. He was tailed to his Bay Area home, and they waited for his entry so as to gather warrant; when they searched his home they found a BB'd AR with MagMagnet attached.

BTW, multiple sources including NRA's CA legal team have stated that a MagMagnet on a a BB'd semiauto centerfire rifle equals an AW.

Now onto further commentary...
This piece actually did not do us much harm, and if syndicated around a few metro areas may actually STOP some cops hassling people.

Gio
05-01-2012, 12:11 AM
That segment was a bunch of crap. I love how they use good folks to get their story and then label them as AW owners.

FastFinger
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Of course they pick the kid who is all gung ho about being on tv and saying stupid sh*t as their spotlight guy, not someone who actually understands the law. these people are morons

Nice elitist attitude. The guy looked like any one of dozens of gun owners I've met at the range. As long as he knows enough to be safe and not break any laws, that should be good enough.

It's not his fault that our legislative overlords have crafted a plethora of often confusing rules and regulations. I'm not going to fault him for not knowing all the ins and outs of the illogical laws. Heck - cops, attorneys, and even judges can't figure 'em out.

Maybe you can write the definitive opus explaining it all? Or failing that maybe you can craft the test that we'll all need to pass before we're allowed to exercise our rights and be all gung ho about enjoying our guns.

GOEX FFF
05-01-2012, 12:12 AM
It actually showed how lame and convoluted our laws are.

BretByron
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
They went to the gun show undercover? ooohhhhhhh:confused: Was'nt it open to the public?

:puke:

Sgt Raven
05-01-2012, 12:14 AM
There's a 90+% chance a felony was committed on TV.

The MagMagnet was shown being placed over a BulletButton-equipped gun and left affixed.

I didn't see an image of the full rifle, and there is a chance the rifle shown in that instance was a rimfire or nonsemiauto ;-) - but you do the math.

I'll bet it was a lower only, without an upper attached. But I need to play it back from the DVR to get a better look. If you watch earlier in the clip most the close ups were lower only.

FastFinger
05-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Theoretically yes. Practically, during a limited time period I could see no time to do a 22LR conversion or remove gas tube/plug gas port.

Lack of proclamation does not drive legality.

Proclamation of illegality by a political agency does not mean illegality.

I have very reliable report there is an individual followed home from Big Reno show who allegedly (i.e., on video with DOJ) imported hicap mags back into CA. He was tailed to his Bay Area home, and they waited for his entry so as to gather warrant; when they searched his home they found a BB'd AR with MagMagnet attached.

BTW, multiple sources including NRA's CA legal team have stated that a MagMagnet on a a BB'd semiauto centerfire rifle equals an AW.

Now onto further commentary...
This piece actually did not do us much harm, and if syndicated around a few metro areas may actually STOP some cops hassling people.

Allow me to clarify... By "mag" I meant the magnetic button gizmo, not mag as in "it's not a clip".

Full Clip
05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
I love how they present this as "the latest marketing scheme."

And suggesting that the BB was the brainchild of giant corporate gun companies, as opposed to clever individuals like Prince50 and others....

ldivinag
05-01-2012, 12:16 AM
They went to the gun show undercover? ooohhhhhhh:confused: Was'nt it open to the public?

:puke:

but video taping without their permission is a no-no, IIRC...

joemama
05-01-2012, 12:17 AM
I'll bet it was a lower only, without an upper attached. But I need to play it back from the DVR to get a better look. If you watch earlier in the clip most the close ups were lower only.

toward the end they had a complete rifle that they were putting the mag magnet onto and demonstrating how you could remove the mag with it.

battleship
05-01-2012, 12:20 AM
I felt like it was simply a vote of no confidence for all Californians, it rang like we must be less law abiding and lack any competence to stay within laws set here, than citizens in other states especially when that fear greaser from Washington spoke out.

I wouldn't be to hard on the kid and his comments, i would expect no matter what came out of his mouth CBS would do some editing to make anyone look stupid or bad, which flows with the whole basis of the story.

And honestly i don't thing the story will have much impact with the viewers it was done so badly.

JackRydden224
05-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Yikes, did they just say the AR-15 owner has an assault rifle?

This piece is full of their own agenda. People who comply with the law shouldn't be their target. All I can do is shake my head over this propaganda.

Yugo
05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
toward the end they had a complete rifle that they were putting the mag magnet onto and demonstrating how you could remove the mag with it.

YUP!

Vlad 11
05-01-2012, 12:23 AM
A load of BS journalism. Everything and everybody they showed was legal and they kept saying it...California Legal Rifles

Well except one thing....

http://i.imgur.com/c61ky.gif

nanoc
05-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Wiff wifff whats that I smell? Ahh its only a felony being committed on TV.

wizdumb
05-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Here are some LARGE screenshots I took of the possible felony.
http://i.imgur.com/wnAiH.png
http://i.imgur.com/Fipjm.png

There IS an upper and pistol grip attached, and from the Stag Arms magazine, it does not appear to be a rimfire rifle.

Yugo
05-01-2012, 12:33 AM
maybe they filmed it out of the state :shrug: :rofl2: nah....

joemama
05-01-2012, 12:35 AM
maybe they filmed it out of the state :shrug: :rofl2: nah....

nah their exempt like law enforcement with personal firearms...:rolleyes: Oh wait...

siznarf
05-01-2012, 12:35 AM
did anyone get a chance to record this besides J rod ... upload please ...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

wizdumb
05-01-2012, 12:37 AM
did anyone get a chance to record this besides J rod ... upload please ...

It's available online: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/7103564-bullet-button-used-to-get-around-california-gun-laws/

siznarf
05-01-2012, 12:38 AM
It's available online: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/7103564-bullet-button-used-to-get-around-california-gun-laws/

Thank you sir

tbhracing
05-01-2012, 12:46 AM
Another link- http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/7103564-bullet-button-used-to-get-around-california-gun-laws/

m24armorer
05-01-2012, 12:49 AM
Wow! He went to a gun show. But being the daring, investigative, intrepid, reporter that he is he didn't just go to a gun show... he went UNDERCOVER!!! Amazing that he made it out without his cover being blown! Dang... grainy video, shaky cam shots and everything. Very, very daring and exciting. He even fooled the beef jerky lady! Pure Peabody win all the way!

It was a women at the Cow Palace show recording on her phone. Rob and I reported her and the promoters and I tried to catch her but she ran out the door before we could catch her, she just vanished.

Equis
05-01-2012, 12:57 AM
What's his name from Jackson Arms could of least took off those stickers off the lockers in the background. I saw one that read something like "The crosshairs is my peace sign". Overall very junky piece of reporting.

Aspec5vz
05-01-2012, 1:00 AM
I love how they just throw around the term "assault rifle". Why do people watch/listen to news when it's so obviously biased?

GOEX FFF
05-01-2012, 1:03 AM
What's his name from Jackson Arms could of least took off those stickers off the lockers in the background. I saw one that read something like "The crosshairs is my peace sign". Overall very junky piece of reporting.

They probably told him to sit there as a good background so they could get a shot of it.

Yugo
05-01-2012, 1:04 AM
I love how they just throw around the term "assault rifle". Why do people watch/listen to news when it's so obviously biased?

cause most people are biased retarded.

nicki
05-01-2012, 1:22 AM
The public is now educated that they can own an AR in California.

My concern is not what they did cover, but more of what they didn't cover.

Specifically they didn't mention that use of a above 10 round magazine would turn the gun into an "illegal assault rifle" and that would subject the owner to felony charges.

They showed the magnetic button, but neglected to say that if it was left on the gun, that the gun would effectively have a detachable magazine and an owner could face felony charges for having an illegal assault rifle.

No one from local police departments would comment for the story, you would think they would want to warn the public.

I'm surprised that police chief from Emeryville, you know the media ***** wasn't available for the story.

Nicki

jdberger
05-01-2012, 1:23 AM
hit their facebook page...

hee hee...

https://www.facebook.com/CBSSanFrancisco

And here you go....

Interesting report on the "Bullet Button". Let's clear some things up. 1) You committed a felony when you attached the "Mag Magnet" to a bullet-button (BB) configured rifle. 2) The BB wasn't invented by the "gun industry". It was invented by a Bay Area resident. 3) It's not a new phenomenon. It's been around for almost a decade. In fact, CBS SF did a segment on it about 5 years ago. 4) It's not a "loophole". The statute on Assault Weapons specifically allows for a tool such as a bullet to be used to detach a magazine.

Finally, I find it amazing that you weren't able to contact any of the myriad gun rights organizations in California to discuss this. A simple Google search would have turned up about 6. Further, you had to go all the way to Washington, DC to find anyone on the gun-control side to discuss it.

Simply put, outside of the felony your reporters committed on tape, you essentially did a crappy job on a "dog bites man" story. Is it any wonder folks think the Fourth Estate is dead?

Yugo
05-01-2012, 1:28 AM
And here you go....

:clap: thats a good start!

oaklander
05-01-2012, 1:31 AM
In context this is an EPIC win, there are about five different things that can be done. Or nothing. Either way, they have made fools of many things, except for the truth.

In fact, I have SERIOUSLY noticed a new dynamic, and I just pointed it out to some people on back end.

Basically, the "wronger" the media or story is, the more backlash and crapstorm they get. It usually results in positive things for us, including spanking them into writing retractions. #patch#

;-)

In this case, law enforcement will have to opine at some point, and no matter what they say, we win.

If it was "no big deal" then we have an admission. If it is "lock 'em up" then we have an illustration.

And I know they are reading this. And the question is "do you support our rights?"

PS - the Mulford stuff is relevant as well. It is still part if the culture here, BTW. As anyone who has lawfully transported a lawful gun to any Bay Area range will attest.

This is not a slam on LE. It is a slam on DOJ. Things have causes, and I really want people to quit blaming rank and file for their bosses.

Seriously, this is a win for us. The angels are smiling on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oaklander
05-01-2012, 1:52 AM
And me and Bill W. agree on the LE aspect. We really need to heal some wounds. The LAWYERS are the ones who do things that need to happen. OUR job is to spread the good word of becoming a less violent state, and more importantly, returning to the rule of law, and of truth and justice.

And that is not hyperbole.

States that have more freedoms, and especially OUR FIRST FREEDOM, are simply better states on many things. And we need to IMPROVE our state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GNE
05-01-2012, 2:10 AM
So, do all the people that they claimed were owning assault rifles/weapons have cause to sue CBS for being falsely accused of committing felonies? :rolleyes:

PEBKAC
05-01-2012, 2:20 AM
I also love how what Josh Sugarman said for the piece is actually contradicted by his own research in the book "Every Handgun is Aimed At You". It's a garbage book but it's funny how hard he singles out handguns at the expense of everything else, even going so far as to admit that scary black rifles commit hardly any crime. ;)

luckystrike
05-01-2012, 2:34 AM
did anyone see the magmagnet part? they said "we bought one and tried it out." they left it on the rifle, DOJ should have them arrested for that felony they have committed.

77bawls
05-01-2012, 2:55 AM
did anyone see the magmagnet part? they said "we bought one and tried it out." they left it on the rifle, DOJ should have them arrested for that felony they have committed.

Film industry exception. :rolleyes:

Anchors
05-01-2012, 3:38 AM
Honestly at the end the reporter said gun rights proponents point out that no hard data exists to support Sugarmann's comments.

My take: This will only help gun sales. I bet you at least 100 people saw that segment and said "sweet! I'm getting one tomorrow, I had no idea!!!" haha
DiFi won't comment. DOJ won't comment (Haynie v. Pleasanton, it would be hard to). PDs won't comment. I'm pretty happy.

If only we could have gotten them to namedrop Calguns.

tonelar
05-01-2012, 3:42 AM
I give up. What exactly is the Fourth Estate?