PDA

View Full Version : traveling with gun question

CALI SHOT DOC
04-29-2012, 4:55 PM
I'm going to Nevada for the GSSF match next weekend and was wondering if Nevada has any specific laws about transporting weapons? Everywhere i've looked mainly talked about ccw. It can't be worse than CA so i'm thinking in the glock case locked will be good enough. Any particular way that ammo has to be transported?

GrizzlyGuy
04-29-2012, 4:59 PM
Yes, unloaded and locked in a case is legal in all 50 states when traveling interstate, thanks to a federal law (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/926A.html) that gives us "safe passage" no matter what the local gun laws are. There is no requirement that ammo be in a separate container, but:

neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle

and:

in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

CALI SHOT DOC
04-29-2012, 6:13 PM
Thanks

Oceanbob
04-29-2012, 6:33 PM
Have fun.!....Consider getting an Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit (not hard) and you're good in 32+ States including Nevada. :D

CALI SHOT DOC
04-29-2012, 7:40 PM
Have fun.!....Consider getting an Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit (not hard) and you're good in 32+ States including Nevada. :D

I would but I never leave Cali lol. It would be nice to have one for here though :(

Oceanbob
04-30-2012, 8:45 AM
I would but I never leave Cali lol. It would be nice to have one for here though :(

You can do it thru the mail. Not hard at all. Nice to have. There's a Thread on it down below.

CALI SHOT DOC
04-30-2012, 3:29 PM
[QUOTE=Oceanbob;8494559]You can do it thru the mail. Not hard at all. Nice to have. There's a Thread on it down below.[/QUOTE

Can you link me because I can't seem to find it?

paul0660
04-30-2012, 3:39 PM
Yes, unloaded and locked in a case is legal in all 50 states when traveling interstate, thanks to a federal law (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/926A.html) that gives us "safe passage" no matter what the local gun laws are.

from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm

I wonder, is the way NYC is getting people convicted of handgun possession at the airport because their argument is that the person is transporting the gun "to" NYC instead of "through" it?