PDA

View Full Version : Purchased in CA, now selling in another state. Who tells the CA DOJ?

flatovercrest
04-29-2012, 5:32 PM
Hi, I recently moved to Utah from LA and thinking about selling couple guns I've had for years.
When you sell in CA you get a copy of the PPT paperwork for you records, in case something ever happens, you have a proof that you sold that X gun on that day to that guy.
In UT, I was told there is no such a thing (still haven't sold a gun here). You advertise on forums and local pages, meet the buyer, get the cash he gets your gun.
So, how does that particular serial number of that particular gun gets off my name and records? Especially in CA, where the gun was originally purchased and recorded under my name?
TIA

GrizzlyGuy
04-29-2012, 5:44 PM
You can send CA DOJ a form that tells them you are no longer in possession of the gun. See De-Registering a Firearm near the bottom of the page here in the wiki (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_registration#De-Registering_a_Firearm).

flatovercrest
04-29-2012, 5:50 PM
Thanks GrizzlyGuy. Still that document requires accompanying documentation of the sale to another party. In UT there is no such a thing.
It's a normal, private transfer of money/goods type of transaction. No FFL involved.

fighterpilot562
04-29-2012, 5:52 PM
Hi, I recently moved to Utah from LA and thinking about selling couple guns I've had for years.
When you sell in CA you get a copy of the PPT paperwork for you records, in case something ever happens, you have a proof that you sold that X gun on that day to that guy.
In UT, I was told there is no such a thing (still haven't sold a gun here). You advertise on forums and local pages, meet the buyer, get the cash he gets your gun.
So, how does that particular serial number of that particular gun gets off my name and records? Especially in CA, where the gun was originally purchased and recorded under my name?
TIA

Damn really thats how UT works? Thats easy and fair haha

GrizzlyGuy
04-29-2012, 5:55 PM
See the form instructions for Section D, you can check the "No longer a resident of California" box and you won't need to provide any info about who you sell it to. DOJ only cares that you really did establish residency in some other state, and from that point forward, doesn't care what you do with the gun (unless you move back).

Capt_Communist
04-29-2012, 5:57 PM
Just do a bill of sale... that will be a good CYA piece of paperwork

blakdawg
04-29-2012, 5:59 PM
Thanks GrizzlyGuy. Still that document requires accompanying documentation of the sale to another party. In UT there is no such a thing.
It's a normal, private transfer of money/goods type of transaction. No FFL involved.

You could try to get the cash buyer to sign a bill of sale. Or you could send in the form and write "cash sale out of state" where it asks for buyer info.

flatovercrest
04-29-2012, 6:18 PM
Bill of sale will be, thanks guys!
Calguns is still the best forum, no matter if I now live elsewhere!

G-forceJunkie
04-29-2012, 6:28 PM
Hand write a bill of sale, have the buyer sign it. If the gun ever comes up in a crime, the authoritys will be going down the list of past known owners. If you can say "I sold it to this guy on this date" your in the clear.

XYZ
04-29-2012, 6:29 PM
Just do a bill of sale... that will be a good CYA piece of paperwork

This right here. OR and WA residents do this all the time when they sell a firearm (I spend a lot of time up here). Most of the time a seller wants to see a state drivers license (ensures you're a state resident) and a CCW/CHL permit (tells the seller you passed a background check). Then has you sign a bill of sale. That should pretty much CYA.

orangeusa
04-29-2012, 6:49 PM
Bummer to lose you flatovercrest! :)

Take care - keep us informed!! orangeusa (Scott)

tbhracing
04-29-2012, 7:19 PM
OP- I was in the same position when I sold a CA Glock to a friend in Utah. What we did was go to Cabellas in Lehi and did some federal paperwork there to get my name off of the weapon. I don't remember the exact forms, but we did it there with no problems.

littlejake
04-29-2012, 8:34 PM
See the form instructions for Section D, you can check the "No longer a resident of California" box and you won't need to provide any info about who you sell it to. DOJ only cares that you really did establish residency in some other state, and from that point forward, doesn't care what you do with the gun (unless you move back).

GrizzlyGuy has the answer. Since the OP is no longer a resident of CA, he can use the NLIP to de-register all his CA registered firearms; and no further information is required.

NLIP (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/BOF4546NLIP0209.pdf?)