PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 problem

addyyoon
04-29-2012, 4:25 PM
I was out shooting today and forgot to bring my .22 ammo so I used my friend's Remington bulk .22 rounds and had some pretty unexpected results. The first round fired fine, but the second one was WAY louder than it should have been! On top of the excessively loud shot, I could feel material ejecting out of the chamber. Cleared the gun, checked all the parts to make sure nothing had blown up, then tried two more rounds and I got the same result. After that, I said, screw it, and put it away. Anyone have this problem before? :/

mijo45
04-29-2012, 4:51 PM
dosnt sound like a problem....it could just be the ammo....i just used the Remington bulk pack yesterday at the range and i too felt material ejecting out of the chamber....

G-forceJunkie
04-29-2012, 5:34 PM
Check to see if a bullet or three are stuck in the bore. It sounds like the case head ruptured, it happens with .22 sometimes, but 3 in a row is unheard of. Perhaps the ammo is faulty, or the first one did stick a round in the bore, causing the next two to blow up as well. If you do find a bullet stuck in the bore, and you fired two behind it, you probably damaged the barrel by bulging it. If you were able to inspect the cases, and they looked fine, itsmay just be crappy ammo blowing alot of unburned powder out of the action.

chad68
04-29-2012, 7:46 PM
3 in a row of bad ammo is not unheard of for Remington .22 bulk ammo.

I wouldn't shoot that stuff it was given to me and was also given a $100 per box to use it.

jonc
04-29-2012, 7:48 PM
CCI the best!!

addyyoon
04-30-2012, 9:08 AM
It wasn't in a row, I would fire a couple rounds just fine and then I would have that problem. The gun shot was deafening. There wasn't anything in the chamber, I checked it after each shot after the initial loud shot

sofbak
04-30-2012, 9:26 AM
Did you take note of the remington ammo you were using?

I don't own a 10-22, but this sounds like a case of excessive blow-back from using a hyper-velocity round-not intended for blow back type actions. Could the ammo have been "yellow jackets"?

TheExpertish
04-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I've only had CCI to shoot, but have heard enough of the Rem to stay away from it.

MIAMIbaseballer
04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I've shot Rem ammo only a few times because it's the only ammo I've ever had problems with... along with at least 4 other people I think of off the top of my head. When asked about 22 ammo, my only comments are to stay away from Rem, never had a problem with any other brand

addyyoon
04-30-2012, 2:29 PM
It was just their standard bulk ammo. I'm going to try my American Eagle and Winchester and hopefully that'll prove it was the ammo, not the gun

Scott1600
04-30-2012, 2:32 PM
Golden Garbage.
Check for obstructed barrel.

addyyoon
05-01-2012, 8:24 AM
Again, no obstructions in the barrel

bohoki
05-01-2012, 8:45 AM
cheap ammo is cheap

223Junkie
05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
We're you able to take a look at the cases that blew stuff into your face?
Any holes in the sides of the cases?
I had this happen to me. I thought the extractor claw was piercing the case walls. Turns out I shot a CCI stinger through my match barrel. It blew out part of the wall where the extracted claw slides in to grasp the bottom of the case. Whenever I would shoot, the case would expand into the extractor claw and which would pierce the case.