PDA

View Full Version : Range Report on My New 10FP

RANGER295
04-29-2007, 6:56 PM
Well I took my new 10FP to the range for the first time today and love it. For those of you that remember, I ended up getting it in .308 with the McMillan stock, the SS10X42 scope, and Burris XTR base and rings. This is my first target. I bore-sighted it before I took it to the range. The two shots on the low right were my first shots. I wanted to make sure that was where it was shooting and wasn’t flinching then I cranked it up and got the shot directly above the group, and then adjusted the windage and got the fourth shot touching the center diamond. I played with it a bit more and got dialed in even a bit better. That is a 1 inch grid on the target and it was at 100 yards. Fantastic rifle.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/stanstateag07/10FP.jpg

shinigami
04-29-2007, 7:28 PM
A pic of the rifle should also be included :D

RANGER295
04-29-2007, 7:38 PM
A pic of the rifle should also be included :D

As requested…
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q214/stanstateag07/10fp.jpg
I still haven’t put the bipod on it but it did nicely with the sandbags.

gloxter
04-29-2007, 7:42 PM
I've been wanting a 10FP as well for some time, but had to dump the cash on my BMG build up. I've heard varying themes about the FP line. Some say "crappy trigger", others love it. Glad to have a first-hand account of what a great shooter the rifle can be.

Keep us posted on how the rifle improves with different ammo, etc. I'd get one in .308 as well, if I were in the market right now.

Congrats.

-gloxter

RANGER295
04-29-2007, 8:08 PM
I've been wanting a 10FP as well for some time, but had to dump the cash on my BMG build up. I've heard varying themes about the FP line. Some say "crappy trigger", others love it. Glad to have a first-hand account of what a great shooter the rifle can be.

Keep us posted on how the rifle improves with different ammo, etc. I'd get one in .308 as well, if I were in the market right now.

Congrats.

-gloxter

I love the trigger. IMHO there is no comparison to the factory Rem 700 trigger. I have it adjusted down to about 2 to 2.5 pounds. The other people who shot it were caught by surprise by how light it was and fired before they were ready.

As far as the different ammo, I was shooting groups the size of the two in the lower right with some crappy 1980’s production mil-surp ammo that has been in a can on my shelf for years. I have no data on it but it is steel case. There was also a good breeze this afternoon.

Prc329
04-29-2007, 8:17 PM
The 10fp trigger is very, very nice. I love the thing.

shinigami
04-29-2007, 8:20 PM
I have 20" savage 10 Tactical (pre-accutrigger), shoots pretty good groups with match ammo, but with surplus, it's about 1" at 100 yards. As of the moment I have a Choate Varmint stock on it but will be selling that and getting either a HS Precision or Bell & Carlson "tactical" stock for it.

I love my 10 (it's not an FP) it says Savage Tactical on the bolt. Got it for about $240+DROS out the door. I saw it at the back of the rack and it was brand new, negotiated the price for it until I agreed with $240:D

proraptor
05-01-2007, 9:54 AM
Very nice!

I also love my savage 10fp....The trigger is amazing and its super accurate

xrMike
05-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I gotta get me one of these, after reading all the praise...

Ranger, what did this setup cost you, broken down per item, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks.

RANGER295
05-01-2007, 9:56 PM
Ranger, what did this setup cost you, broken down per item, if you don't mind my asking? Thanks.

I don’t mind a bit. I don’t remember the exact dollar amount on the rifle, I would have to go back and look, but out the door with shipping, DROS, and everything it came to around $775. I got a special deal, but I think the going rate is around $850 to $900 before tax, DROS, and all. It comes from Savage with the McMillan stock. You can also get it with the HS Precision stock which is a little less. I paid $300 for the SS 10X42 scope. The Burris XTR bases were $17.99 before shipping and the Burris XTR 30mm rings were I think $55.95. I still need to put a bipod on there so by the time I am done with everything I will be looking at about $1200 total.