PDA

View Full Version : First Gun - Super Excited

hachiroku13954
04-29-2012, 10:31 AM
So after shooting numerous friend's guns, I finally broken down and bought my own. At first I was about to get a Glock 17 but after really holding one, it wasn't for me, mainly because I have weird hands and the slide would cut the crap out of me. So now I'm getting the Smith and Wesson M&P 9. First and foremost, as a new gun owner, what do I need as far as cleaning supplies. I have heard that Hopee's No. 9 is a great solvent. But what about lube? And what about ammo? what is a good brand?

Thank you for all advices and recommendations.

corcoraj2002
04-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Get a bore snake a tooth brush and CPL (it's a solvent and a lube). This is all I use on my guns and rifles and no issues today.

M&P should eat anything you throw at it.

Welcome to the club.

shooperman
04-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Congrats. Would definitely recommend getting a bore snake. As far as solvents go I use Hoppes #9 on all mine and it works great.

PandaLuv
04-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Ammo, JHP and FMJ.

S470FM
04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
congrats! you've come to a great site that's an awesome resource for new and experienced gun owners alike. welcome to the gun community.

Legasat
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Excellent choice! M&P is fine pistol.

The following is just my 2 cents, so take it for what it is worth...other people may have other opinions.

Just generic cleaning supplies to get started will be fine. One of the kits with some brushes & cleaning rods (like a Winchester cleaning kit from Walmart or Turners). If you want to spend a little more, get a nice Otis cleaning kit.

I use Hoppes Elite cleaner (Hoppes #9 really stinks up the house).

I use Rem Oil and FP-10 for lubricants on my pistols.

Start with some inexpensive ammo for practice (Winchester White box, Reminton UMC, PMC, Federal Champion, etc). Also available at Walmart.

After you get used to your new gun, buy 500 rounds of some good quality hollow point ammo for self defense (Federal HST, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, etc), and make sure you fire 200 rounds through it to make sure it fires flawlessly (make sure your gun likes it), then you can use it for self defense.

The last thing is Practice, practice, practice. Being a gun owner also means you need to be a responsible gun owner. Get very familiar with it, learn how to use it well, safety first!

Good luck and enjoy!!!

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
here's a list of cleaning stuff for my pistols....

-bore snake
-ballistol
-3 cleaning rods (1 to mop, 1 with a brush, and 1 to run dry patches)
-brake cleaner or powder blast
-silicone knocked up cloth
-gun oil (duh)
-shooters choice bore cleaner for getting rid of lead/powder fouling
-copper cleaner
-old t shirts and patches
-gun sock
-a tray to clean your guns on so you'll be organized and won't make a mess and won't lose parts, not metal but plastic
-toothbrushes (1 kept dry to brush of dirt and 1 used to scrub with solvent)
-a syrenge or empty visine eye drops bottle to pin point oil drops
-a bore light
-a magnifier
-pipe cleaners
-a plastic comb with thin bristles (some people use picks, i use the plastic bristles of a comb covered with a patch because it's like 50 picks, works great)

as far as ammo, eh.... read what other people are saying

760knox
04-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Get yourself some froglub!!!

Kodemonkey
04-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm a fan of the hoppes elite (Mpro7 is the same stuff). Doesn't stink up the house. Also, I'm a big fan of using nitrile gloves. They are cheap at Costco, and reduces your exposure to lead and other chemicals.

I've got a cabinet full of products and I keep going back to the Mpro7 line of stuff for the polymer guns. Bore snakes are good, and great to have in a range bag. However I like using patches because I can see what I am removing. I like the Tipton jags, rods, and brushes.

Congrats on the M&P. It's a great gun. I've installed APEX tactical trigger kits on two of them and it really improves the trigger. The ergonomics on that gun are world class, made in the USA... What's not to like?

tbc
04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Congrats! M&P is an excellent choice IMO.

For cleaning, all you need is a can Ballistol and a 15-dollar cleaning kit.

Sent from IPhone

alfred1222
04-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Congrats!!!

Squidward
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Bore snake,tooth brush and Hoppe's for me.

Ammo sites:
http://www.bulkammo.com/

http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfm

http://www.luckygunner.com/

http://www.ammoman.com/

Mr. Gillious
04-29-2012, 12:41 PM
i love how this site will tell you prices fast for all sorts of calibers

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/9mm

don't count on every price though because there's sites that aren't on that list i've found to be cheaper

bsg
04-29-2012, 2:28 PM
after getting the initial cleaning supplies you need for this 1st gun, get yourself an old fishing tackle box to start out your own, personalized cleaning kit. the 'beating heart' of your cleaning supply kit is the box; it either allows for expansion and personalized storage of your stuff, or it doesn't. i've got an older UMCO Model 4500 box with 10 large foldout trays (with numerous sections within the trays), and a large storage space underneath the trays. for travel, i've got a smaller setup.

rather than purchasing complete pre-made kits for your supply needs, consider buying individual pieces that meet your personal needs and likes. for example; i buy Dewey cleaning rods individually, and purchase the attaching brushes/mops etc. as i need them.

you'll find over time that many things that are made for other intended purposes will fit in just fine with your gun cleaning kit; remember that q tips were invented for gun owners.

congratulations on your 1st, and welcome to the forum.

04-29-2012, 2:31 PM
Congrats on the M&P9!

I agree with what most are saying, I use the following for my Glock 17:

Boresnake
Copper Bore Brush & Mop
Cleaning Brush (toothbrush works fine also)
Cleaning Rod Kit
Hoppe's #9 Solvent
MPro7 Gun Oil CLP
Shooter's Choice Gun Grease (use grease on the frame rails)

With the stuff mentioned above, you'd be able to clean and lub any firerm, just make sure you get the correct caliber boresnake & bore brushes.

NorCal Einstein
04-29-2012, 2:35 PM
Here's what I use to take care of my M&P9. Over 4,000 rounds and zero failures.

Froglube Paste (use as cleaner and lubrication)
Rags (like mechanic rags, cheap towels)
Boresnake
Cleaning patches and rod

I treated my gun per Froglube's recommendation and from that point on, all I have to do is wipe down the gun and the grime wipes away. I don't need to really scrub anything. For a detailed cleaning (which I haven't done in over 1,000 rounds), I put the boresnake through to clean up the inside, and then I get a patch covered in Froglube and run it through the barrel to get it coated.

I originally bought the MPro7 cleaning kit, brushes and all that jazz, but they sit in my closet collecting dust now.

cwin
04-29-2012, 5:18 PM
Congrats on the M&P. Great choice! Also agree with above posters. I just use a generic pistol cleaning rod, copper brush, hoppes 9 and clp lube.

Cnynrat
04-29-2012, 5:20 PM
Congrats on the M&P. My wife's first gun was an M&P 40.

giantsfan
04-29-2012, 7:50 PM
No offense intended for this...first..congrats on your gun purchase. I remember my first at 12 years old and I'll never forget it...

Second, why is it when I see an adult with their first gun I get a cold chill going down my spine?? At the range the other day there is a guy in a ponytail standing next to me with a .45 blowing away his target...I say "nice gun, is that a kimber?" He says, "yes, it's brand new and my first gun!" My first thought was "oh s***" lol

Anyway, get some training and all of the suggestions for cleaning gear is right on..good luck! :-)

hachiroku13954
05-02-2012, 6:38 PM
Thank you everyone that gave me some ideas on what to get and some ideas.

No offense intended for this...first..congrats on your gun purchase. I remember my first at 12 years old and I'll never forget it...

Second, why is it when I see an adult with their first gun I get a cold chill going down my spine?? At the range the other day there is a guy in a ponytail standing next to me with a .45 blowing away his target...I say "nice gun, is that a kimber?" He says, "yes, it's brand new and my first gun!" My first thought was "oh s***" lol

Anyway, get some training and all of the suggestions for cleaning gear is right on..good luck! :-)

none taken. im graduating from tournament paintball to real handguns. even though a paintball marker isn't an actual firearm, i still treat it as such. never did anything reckless with it. ;)

tal3nt
05-03-2012, 9:29 AM
Safety First.

Nightron
05-03-2012, 5:16 PM
First Gun - Super ExcitedCongratulations!

Enjoy the experience. This, and related forums, are fantastic resources for learning and safety, and developing skills and competence (not just by reading, but with time and practice too).

Gather some friends around and have fun.