PDA

View Full Version : Safes - help me choose

Swif
04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
So I have been looking around the web gathering info on different safes. I am looking for an american made (all parts supplied be american if possible) safe. I will be looking for a 40+ gun safe. (always go bigger then you think you need)

What I have been looking at is Liberty, Sun welding, Sturdy Gun Safes, Ft. Knox, and a few others. I like the idea of the outside hinge. I would like to have a fire rating of 90 + min.

What are your thought and experience with these safes. How are the warranties with the locks and dial? I am looking to spend no more then $4000. A lower price is also nice, but I don't want something cheap that won't stand up to a break in or handle a fire.

Thanks for you input.

Revoman
04-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Swif -

I like your style, buy once, buy well, no need to buy again. Why buy something cheap, you're actually buying insurance.

Personally, I have looked at the Browning safes and am pretty impressed. They have good ratings in both break-ins and fire, plus they look great!

I believe though that some are not made here, but most are.

The biggest baddest safe they make though will be more than $4K.

Swif
04-29-2012, 2:09 PM
Swif -

I like your style, buy once, buy well, no need to buy again. Why buy something cheap, you're actually buying insurance.

Personally, I have looked at the Browning safes and am pretty impressed. They have good ratings in both break-ins and fire, plus they look great!

I believe though that some are not made here, but most are.

The biggest baddest safe they make though will be more than $4K.

That is my problem with Browning. I want to try and stay around the $4k range.

Hopy
04-29-2012, 2:22 PM
Have you looked into American Security Products? We are looking at them right now, more specifically the SF6030. This will hold up to 35 long guns+ room for hand guns due to door organizer. It is rated for 1 hour at 1200 degrees. Honestly am not aware of any fire that burns that hot for that duration in a single location. Keep it on the first floor and you should be good. It is also made in America.
And my wife likes that they come in a variety of color options and finishes:facepalm:

website http://amsecusa.com

AAShooter
04-29-2012, 2:28 PM
I am partial to the Ft. Knox safes.

AAShooter
04-29-2012, 2:28 PM
I am partial to the Ft. Knox safes.

Soul TKR
04-29-2012, 2:38 PM
Ft. Knox makes a damn good safe. If I had the money, I'd go that route...

jenericsig
04-29-2012, 3:02 PM
I narrowed mine down to Fort Knox and Liberty. Both are great and ended up with the Liberty (Lincoln 25).

Swif
04-29-2012, 3:25 PM
Have you looked into American Security Products? We are looking at them right now, more specifically the SF6030. This will hold up to 35 long guns+ room for hand guns due to door organizer. It is rated for 1 hour at 1200 degrees. Honestly am not aware of any fire that burns that hot for that duration in a single location. Keep it on the first floor and you should be good. It is also made in America.
And my wife likes that they come in a variety of color options and finishes:facepalm:

website http://amsecusa.com

Am have looked at these safes and I am thinking about this. For some reason I have liberty on my mind. I think I need to go and start looking at the safes in person.

My concern with fire is the safe will be in the gauge. I have a washer and dry in the gauge and the dry works off of gas. I also have automotive product including oil and cleaners. These will be stored in a fire cabinet, but I just want to be on the safer side of things.

I like the amsec BF7250 and Deans Safe Co has for $3900.
I would be looking at something along these lines.
Liberty Lincoln 50 is nice, but I thing the amsec is better.

sunwelding
04-30-2012, 10:56 AM
All Sun Welding Safes are on sale this week due to the Crossroads of the West gun show this past weekend. We have safes in the 40+ gun range starting at $1229 and going up from there. All of our safes are made in America and offer a lifetime warranty. Send me an email for any questions regarding our safes.

Email: sun_welding@sbcglobal.net

Blarson
04-30-2012, 3:53 PM
From the Rhino Metals

Rhino XP Series Safes

Rhino safes are the country's highest quality gun safes, MADE IN AMERICA to your exact specifications, with meticulous detailing, patented and exclusive security features, and a limited lifetime warranty.
Rhino XP series safes have a 2 ½ hour fire rating has the same patented security as our Rhino series, but with a unique design that dramatically increases the fire protection.

Rhino Safe Features:

UL RSC Listed
California DOJ Compliant
Attack Proof External Hinge System
Patented RhinoPlate™ Drill-Proof Armor
Patented Rhino Duolock™ Relocker
Patented Integraed Boltwork and Linkage Relockers
Patented Anti-Tamper Linkage
Patented Drill-Proof Crankshaft Design
Exclusive 1" Hardened Steel Locking Bolts
Automatic Lockbolt Detent
Patented Positive Locking System
Plush Adjustable Interior
Certified Protective Lining
Seamless Continuously Welded body
Solid Plate Steel Reinforced Door
Pry-proof Door
Rhino Model XP7142 Weight 1400 Gun capacity 45

Dimensions 71x42x30 cubic feet 52
Price Out the door form Bull Dog Tuff Safes $2,099.0

Hard to beat this price for those stats!!
When comparing this to the Liberty Lincoln 50, you get thicker steel 10 gauge instead of 11, nearly twice the fire protection(2.5 HOURS!), thicker door steel, 300 pounds heavier, AND MORE THAN $1000 DOLLARS CHEAPER!! And Made in America. Danny from Bull Dog Tuff safes is super cool, with great customer service! This is the Safe I would have bought if I had an additional $500 to spend!

Swif
05-08-2012, 10:58 PM
From the Rhino Metals

Rhino XP Series Safes

Rhino safes are the country's highest quality gun safes, MADE IN AMERICA to your exact specifications, with meticulous detailing, patented and exclusive security features, and a limited lifetime warranty.
Rhino XP series safes have a 2 ½ hour fire rating has the same patented security as our Rhino series, but with a unique design that dramatically increases the fire protection.

Rhino Safe Features:

UL RSC Listed
California DOJ Compliant
Attack Proof External Hinge System
Patented RhinoPlate™ Drill-Proof Armor
Patented Rhino Duolock™ Relocker
Patented Integraed Boltwork and Linkage Relockers
Patented Anti-Tamper Linkage
Patented Drill-Proof Crankshaft Design
Exclusive 1" Hardened Steel Locking Bolts
Automatic Lockbolt Detent
Patented Positive Locking System
Plush Adjustable Interior
Certified Protective Lining
Seamless Continuously Welded body
Solid Plate Steel Reinforced Door
Pry-proof Door
Rhino Model XP7142 Weight 1400 Gun capacity 45

Dimensions 71x42x30 cubic feet 52
Price Out the door form Bull Dog Tuff Safes $2,099.0

Hard to beat this price for those stats!!
When comparing this to the Liberty Lincoln 50, you get thicker steel 10 gauge instead of 11, nearly twice the fire protection(2.5 HOURS!), thicker door steel, 300 pounds heavier, AND MORE THAN $1000 DOLLARS CHEAPER!! And Made in America. Danny from Bull Dog Tuff safes is super cool, with great customer service! This is the Safe I would have bought if I had an additional $500 to spend!

Thank you for the information. I will check these out. I am thinking I will pick up a safe around mid summer if everything goes well for me.