View Full Version : Update the Assault Weapons I.D. Guide?

04-29-2007, 4:58 PM
I don't think the DOJ will ever update the AW I.D. guide that was given to LEO's back in 2001 (also available on-line).
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/awguide/awguide.php?PHPSESSID=a819c232e6391268e64c964f9979 bd72

Has it been discussed here about possibly having calgun members funding an update? I believe Bill has sent some things to DA's and/or Agencies, but what about an AW quick code for individual officers? Maybe some two page quick reference guide that explains what an AW is and is not. (I.e.: fixed mag kits, gripless builds, evil features, listed AW's)?

I feel if we could get something like this in the hands of individual officers on the street, it may help some of these unintentional OLL arrests.

Could we get some legitmacy for an AW guide from P.O.S.T. or the NRA?

I know I would be willing to help fund a project like this (printing costs and postage). P.O.S.T. even has links on there website to pretty much every L.E. Agency in the State.

This won't cover every substation, but a little legwork could get those addresses also.

Opinions, comments, waste of time & money, already been discussed?

04-29-2007, 5:20 PM
The DOJ does not want to legitimize OLL builds. If the DOJ would just say, "This is legal, This isnt etc, etc" it'd give everyone who is arrested a perfect defense.. of course they have an anti-gun agenda, so that's not gonna happen. That's why they use the "58 DA's" thing as a copout.

04-29-2007, 5:27 PM
It kinda works like this:

We find new and creative ways to lawfully build semi-auto rifles in this state

They find new and creative ways to press charges and get around the legality of our builds

04-29-2007, 5:49 PM
Forget the DOJ. I'm talking about the gun owners of this state funding a Qwik-code (like these http://www.copquest.com/20-1000.htm ) to give to the street cop.

If the DOJ doesn't want to educate the LEO's of this state on gun laws, maybe we could.

04-29-2007, 8:01 PM
I called once, played dumb and asked why they haven't updated the AWID Guide since 2001, it's 2007! Phone jockey said nothing has been listed since then, no need to update it. :rolleyes:

04-29-2007, 8:37 PM
There is some effort along these lines. I'm on the road and don't have time to elaborate.

04-30-2007, 8:53 AM
There is some effort along these lines. I'm on the road and don't have time to elaborate.

Great. I have a ton of Agency addresses if you need any.

05-02-2007, 9:26 AM
Lots of other updates, though: